Is Carnival Falling Behind?

stevenr597

I really couldn't disagree more. Carnival is building ships that are quite innovative and while not looking to build behemoths have increase the size of their ships and added unique features in their Dream Class ships.

With the ongoing addition of 2.0 upgrades on the Conquest class ships even those feel new and fresh.

I don't think you can compare a Conquest class to a Breeze or a Magic.....the later simply have so much more than the former class that it's apples to oranges.

The Vista is going to be the largest and newest class of ship that comes out in 2016, and while I'm very excited to start seeing how the larger space is used I'm not really a fan of the ships getting too much bigger......I'm glad the Conquest and Dream class ships will still be around for a few more decades.

I don't really see us cruising with RCCL or NCL.

I agree. The one thing the competitors know is Carnival could build a ship to make the Oasis

look like a small yacht if they wanted to.

Be ready, your on the hit list now...the excuses about CCL charging for breakfast is coming in 3...2...1...

Is this a Royal thread?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Where does Hendricks Clan mention Royal in his post. If anything he talks mostly about NCL, his new cruise line of choice, in this thread.

Seems odd that you would bring Royal into the discussion at this particular point.

Sure

Well, not a small Yacht. But they could certainly match or beat it if they wanted to.

I haven't been on RCCL or NCL, and would enjoy trying them.

But I'm not dying to. I love Carnival, and my favorite line is HAL, which certainly doesn't offer everything that the Oasis would. But what they offer is done extraordinarily well. Same with Carnival, in different ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival is not even trying to compete with RCI and NCL. They've carved out their own budget cruising niche and are in a category all their own now. At this point, it would take them 5 years or more to even begin to start catching up, ship wise.

Carnival is not even trying to compete with RCI and NCL. They've carved out their own budget cruising niche and are in a category all their own now. At this point, it would take them 5 years or more to even begin to start catching up, ship wise.

This is such an extremely flawed statement.......:confused:

These three lines are in direct competition there is absolutely no doubt about it.

This is such an extremely flawed statement.......:confused:

These three lines are in direct competition there is absolutely no doubt about it.

Keep telling yourself that. Carnival is not even trying to keep up. They have the cheap budget niche all to themselves. Again, Carnival has no ships that even compare with the new builds of the other lines, and their next new ship is over 2 years away.

Keep telling yourself that. Carnival is not even trying to keep up. They have the cheap budget niche all to themselves. Again, Carnival has no ships that even compare with the new builds of the other lines, and their next new ship is over 2 years away.

But... the Carnival Vista will be brilliant!

Where does Hendricks Clan mention Royal in his post. If anything he talks mostly about NCL, his new cruise line of choice, in this thread.

Seems odd that you would bring Royal into the discussion at this particular point.

You are correct. NCL is mentioned more. The other posters mentioned Oasis more which was the reference I was referring to....but the point is still valid.

By design. The other point you miss, is that people who do cruise Carnival are happy with that, except the usual bashers found here. Wait a minute, I may have mis-spoke, I did say sail Carnival didn't I?

By design. The other point you miss, is that people who do cruise Carnival are happy with that, except the usual bashers found here. Wait a minute, I may have mis-spoke, I did say sail Carnival didn't I?

I don't think it is a missed point. I think it is the reason Carnival fans use to justify the lack of innovation and creative new features. If Carnival had unique features, next generation entertainment, etc. I doubt we would hear people going "I wish they'd get rid of this so everything would be cheaper."

When comparing similar sized ships and itinerary I rarely see Carnival as being significantly cheaper anyways. Once you factor in all other costs (getting to and from ship (travel/parking), taxes, fees, gratuities, spending cash) the cruise fare becomes a small portion (really the only variable portion) of the overall picture and when you look at the bottom line the difference is rarely more than a few percent and NOT always in Carnivals favor.

Enjoying a more classic experience I think is fine, and great if that is what you enjoy, but it's a bit of a straw man to insert that as a reasonable argument as to why Carnival does NOT offer innovative features and amenities. You don't need a mega ship to be innovative, and you don't need to be the most expensive to do unique things.

There's nothing wrong with saying "I enjoy CCL because of XYZ, but in comparison of innovative features they do not measure up". People should not be so defensive of their choices or try to justify based on solely on miniscule price differences. I think some times people feel like admitting shortcomings is like admitting "defeat" or something else taken personally.

This is not directed to slam you in any way, just in response to you and other similar responses I have read

Warren Buffet has one of the smallest houses on his block in Nebraska but I'm sure none of his neighbors are getting in line to challenge him to a money contest.......Royal is doing well but we all know who's the king of that jungle.

Edited by keith75

I'm not a billionaire. By design. I could be anytime I want. I just choose not to be. :p Carnival is what it is. They've chosen a niche that they want, and are pursuing that customer. That's fine. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking that Carnival is something that it's not, anymore.

Edited by EZ4

I'm not a billionaire. By design. I could be anytime I want. I just choose not to be. :p Carnival is what it is. They've chosen a niche that they want, and are pursuing that customer. That's fine. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking that Carnival is something that it's not, anymore.

I don't think I do kid myself thinking they are something that they are not. Why is it so hard to believe that your thoughts and perception could be wrong. They have stated for a long period of time (at least 6 years) that they did not want to play in the mega liner game or the amusement park of the oceans (somewhat alter I admit). Many people have posted here that they think that Carnival made the right choice. You (and a couple of others) think that we are delusional for thinking that. I really don't think the royal concepts, be it no MDR, 8 rides on a ship or even NCL, and Royals bringing broadway shows to cruises makes Carnivals product fall behind. I don't want to do those things on a cruise ship. By the way, I don't go to the Royal and NCL threads and tell them that they are nuts in not believing that I am 100% correct either.

I don't think it is a missed point. I think it is the reason Carnival fans use to justify the lack of innovation and creative new features. If Carnival had unique features, next generation entertainment, etc. I doubt we would hear people going "I wish they'd get rid of this so everything would be cheaper."

When comparing similar sized ships and itinerary I rarely see Carnival as being significantly cheaper anyways. Once you factor in all other costs (getting to and from ship (travel/parking), taxes, fees, gratuities, spending cash) the cruise fare becomes a small portion (really the only variable portion) of the overall picture and when you look at the bottom line the difference is rarely more than a few percent and NOT always in Carnivals favor.

Enjoying a more classic experience I think is fine, and great if that is what you enjoy, but it's a bit of a straw man to insert that as a reasonable argument as to why Carnival does NOT offer innovative features and amenities. You don't need a mega ship to be innovative, and you don't need to be the most expensive to do unique things.

There's nothing wrong with saying "I enjoy CCL because of XYZ, but in comparison of innovative features they do not measure up". People should not be so defensive of their choices or try to justify based on solely on miniscule price differences. I think some times people feel like admitting shortcomings is like admitting "defeat" or something else taken personally.

This is not directed to slam you in any way, just in response to you and other similar responses I have read

You just don't get it. They really don't want that game. If they did, they would at the least competitive. Why is that taking a classic view of the cruise experience a bad one? Pricing is at a near all time low across the industry. I could, but don't want to take the time analyze comparisons of the 5 major lines on com pairing sailings. I am sure there are some close and some where carnival is the value leader. Not sure the price argument holds water except in one area. For them to add all the gadgets and gizmos you have to pay for them somewhere. I don't want to use them of pay for them. I am happy in the position where Carnival is now..

I don't think I do kid myself thinking they are something that they are not. Why is it so hard to believe that your thoughts and perception could be wrong. They have stated for a long period of time (at least 6 years) that they did not want to play in the mega liner game or the amusement park of the oceans (somewhat alter I admit). Many people have posted here that they think that Carnival made the right choice. You (and a couple of others) think that we are delusional for thinking that. I really don't think the royal concepts, be it no MDR, 8 rides on a ship or even NCL, and Royals bringing broadway shows to cruises makes Carnivals product fall behind. I don't want to do those things on a cruise ship. By the way, I don't go to the Royal and NCL threads and tell them that they are nuts in not believing that I am 100% correct either.

Jimbo the difference is that you and me and others here actually cruise on carnival. We don't hide behind mutiple made up screen names here on cruise critic.

Edited by kybluecruiser

Jimbo the difference is that you and me and others here actually cruise on carnival. We don't hide behind mutiple made up screen names here on cruise critic.

LOL. Yeah, it's a conspiracy. :rolleyes:

Huh? :confused: So if there is more than one person agreeing on something that goes against your opinion, they must be the same person using multiple names? Come on. Tell me you're not really that insecure.

But if you are, feel free to hit the little triangle and ask CC to check IP addresses. If anyone is using multiple names, they'll both be banned.

Otherwise, people around here need to stop taking things so personal. This is a business were talking about, not your loved ones.

Huh? :confused: So if there is more than one person agreeing on something that goes against your opinion, they must be the same person using multiple names? Come on. Tell me you're not really that insecure.

But if you are, feel free to hit the little triangle and ask CC to check IP addresses. If anyone is using multiple names, they'll both be banned.

Otherwise, people around here need to stop taking things so personal. This is a business were talking about, not your loved ones.

Oddly, it seems some read the blog and are mind suggested that only one person exists that is displeased with Carnival, followed by a ever growing string of names, and without thinking, others propetuate the written propaganda. So because it's written, EZ is now that same person, and some believe that.

Quite odd, yes. There can not be two displeased at that same time. It doesn't fit in the Carnival universe.