Recycling paper on the ship

I just had an interesting conversation with a staff member at Celebrity Cruises in reference to a small issue I had on my recent cruise, in which it was corrected.

We somehow got into discussing about the huge amount of paper that's generated on the ships - all of those store sales, ship's excursions, the Celebrity Today, other advertisements we get in our cabins, and even our own papers we bring on board and eventually throw away. Of course this is not just Celebrity - all cruise lines generate a 'boat load' of paper.

I was told that some of the staff on board has to go through all of the trash and pull out all papers for recycling.

I suggested that they add a small recycle bin in each cabin or in various areas of the ship. I know that near the sunset bar on the S-class ships there are recycle bins, but they could be around areas that don't have them: the other bars, near guest relations, near the elevators/stairs. Or they could even ask passengers to leave any papers in one area of the cabin for their attendant to collect each morning in order to simplify the process for the staff.

I was told my suggestion would have to go up the chain of supervisors, but anything to help in recycling is always a good idea.

I know there are people out there that make an effort to use/reuse/recycle, so I just wanted to share my conversation here.

Monica

Perhaps the most helpful suggestion would be to eliminate almost all of that useless paper that gets printed and distributed. No one needs a personal invitation to the art auction gala whatever, the end of season scarf sale or today's lava mud bath special. I would guess that 75% would eliminate about 75% of the paper trash.

I would have LOVED a recycle bin on my last cruise.

I do remember a few notices/invites were one offs with a warning that 'to save paper you will not get a reminder' biut these were for things I had signed up for( like the Roll call get together)

but yeah, getting rid of the envelopes on my door every day for non solicited stuff would go a long way.

Perhaps the most helpful suggestion would be to eliminate almost all of that useless paper that gets printed and distributed. No one needs a personal invitation to the art auction gala whatever, the end of season scarf sale or today's lava mud bath special. I would guess that 75% would eliminate about 75% of the paper trash.

I agree! Most people don't participate in the art auction and other 'events'.

I suggested that anything that's not date sensitive that they could laminate the paper and reuse. She thought maybe advertising on the t.v.

I'll do my part and will collect all papers that I no longer need and give to my room attendant. I could even bring a small grocery bag and use as my recycle bin. :)

Monica

I would have LOVED a recycle bin on my last cruise.

I do remember a few notices/invites were one offs with a warning that 'to save paper you will not get a reminder' biut these were for things I had signed up for( like the Roll call get together)

but yeah, getting rid of the envelopes on my door every day for non solicited stuff would go a long way.

Yes, for the Captain's Club events, it's just one document and no other announcements. Easy enough.

Monica

I was told that some of the staff on board has to go through all of the trash and pull out all papers for recycling.

I suggested that they add a small recycle bin in each cabin or in various areas of the ship. I know that near the sunset bar on the S-class ships there are recycle bins, but they could be around areas that don't have them: the other bars, near guest relations, near the elevators/stairs. Or they could even ask passengers to leave any papers in one area of the cabin for their attendant to collect each morning in order to simplify the process for the staff.

Monica

On one of the lines we sail -- (I don't remember who) - the cabin waste cans are rectangular and inside this this a separate divided slot for paper, it holds

the junk mail perfectly. I'm sure it's a real time saver.

On one of the lines we sail -- (I don't remember who) - the cabin waste cans are rectangular and inside this this a separate divided slot for paper, it holds

An even more time saving approach would be to put that waste can outside the door to my cabin so paper flyers could be delivered directly to their destination :)

It's always been a mystery to me that the gift shop, jewelry store, and art auctions send their sales pitches stuffed into envelopes, both from a paper point of view and from the time it must take to stuff those envelopes. Just getting an envelope with a personalized mailing label stuck on the front doesn't make me want to go to any of those places. A simple card, with the same mailing label pasted to the reverse side, would work just as well and save all those envelopes.

I do save up all unwanted paper and periodically drop it in the blue recycling receptacle. There is always one poolside somewhere, sometimes near the drinks, sometimes near the entrance to the Aqua Spa. On Solstice I also found some on deck five on the open deck. There was one for plastic and paper, one for glass and aluminum.

I'm happy to see that Captain's Club no longer sends out personalized invitations. I know that the gift shops and art auction are run by contractors, not by Celebrity, and it would be great to see them reduce the amount of paper they consume.

An even more time saving approach would be to put that waste can outside the door to my cabin so paper flyers could be delivered directly to their destination :)

I got a great laugh out of this and have to say that these are my sentiments exactly!

Dear Celebrity monitor: Please reduce your paper and ink usage as your next cost-cutting measure! It's guaranteed to bring a smile from your guests and cabin stewards alike! Can you imagine the amount of time they spend delivering these craptastic little messages to every cabin each day? Have a heart!

I got a great laugh out of this and have to say that these are my sentiments exactly!

Dear Celebrity monitor: Please reduce your paper and ink usage as your next cost-cutting measure! It's guaranteed to bring a smile from your guests and cabin stewards alike! Can you imagine the amount of time they spend delivering these craptastic little messages to every cabin each day? Have a heart!

I wonder how much time would be freed up to those that have to sort through the trash. I'm sure the cabin attendants and others could use more time for their breaks. They work so hard.

Monica

And what about all of the photos that are printed and then must be disposed of if the subjects decline to purchase them?

That is the one on board wasteful practice that has always had me shaking my head.

And what about all of the photos that are printed and then must be disposed of if the subjects decline to purchase them?

That is the one on board wasteful practice that has always had me shaking my head.

Good comments.

I've always thought that if the prices were reasonably priced, more people would buy their photos. I would!

Monica

Edited by Compass Rose Monica

HAL does this and maybe others do too. But ghstudio certainly has the right idea - a bin outside the door for spam.

Good comments.

I've always thought that if the prices were reasonably priced, more people would buy their photos. I would!

Monica

I concur with above, if the photos were more reasonably priced, many passengers would buy then. It is such a waste of the photos

On our last 2 cruises on Celebrity we never got "suckered in" to entering any of the drawiings for the art auction, spa treatments, jewelry and etc. Found that it eliminated a fairly amount of personal mail with the special invitation to private events, specials or discounts that we won. We still received all of the other blanket distributions that daily filled up the round file.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

First thing I ask my room steward to do is leave me an extra one of the plastic bags (the ones that they line the waste paper bins with) I fill that with the paper during the day and he removes it during the morning turndown so it is all separated for him.

I would not like a Blue Box in the room (I would be tripping over it unless it would fit under the bed) and I especially would not like to see Blue Box's lining the halls lol

Edited by Christine Frances

I just place it neatly under our bin.

The room attendant didn't collect it during the cruise, so by the end there was quite a pile! Last day she took them off in the bin. It'll make sorting easier for the person doing that.

Disney have a divided rubbish bin and NO constant invitations to events which are in the daily prog.!

What a waste of paper, envelopes, time of produce and deliver. Ours go straight into the bin - don't even look at them so they certainly don't tempt me to join the art auction, sale of rubbish - mostly made in China! Or the expensive Spa.

I have to say, since I was a kid, I LOVE getting mail! I find it kind of fun to come back to my cabin or wake up and open the door and collect whatever was left. I know its all useless dribble most of the time, but I find it part of the experience. I have even brought my own preprinted invitations to distribute for parties I host in my cabin, I enjoy getting mail so much I like to send it too!

I think the cabins are small enough already that adding another bin for recyclables isn't the best. Also now the cabin steward's work increases by having to empty the extra can, and now they need an extra trash receptacle on their cleaning cart to separate. I have been in hotels with a split trash can that seems simple enough...but only if 100% of the passengers use it 100% of the time - which IS NOT going to happen.

Sounds like they already have the recycling figured out, having staff assigned to manually sort it, as MANY municipalities across the USA do (mine doesn't I have to presort, but my family in florida's do they can put it all in a single bin for later manual sort).

Even if they added recycle bins to cabins, many people would sill not use them properly, still requiring more manual sorting later on which doesn't fix the problem.