Disappointing First Time on Celebrity

cynicalscotsman

People would still have one, as the promotion just offers something that can also be bought. People would continue to buy it, unless they stopped selling the package as well.

As you only talked about the promotion, complaints would still exist from those who bought it. Nobody likes to pay for something and then not get it.

I'm talking about Celebrity giving it as a bonus during a promotion and those will end March of 2015 and I think they should stop offering it.

Maybe they should stop selling the package, because no one is every happy.

I'm sure that those that purchased it can get their money back, if they are not satisified, and that would solve their complaints. They can then purchase individual drinks.

It would be interesting to know how many that are complaining on here purchased their package or got it under the 123 promotion.

Edited by NLH Arizona

In addition to the muster drill, I think pax need to see a video on cruise courtesy. Kudos to the staff that get people to share with others.

What a fabulous suggestion! But then again, those that need the reminders probably wouldn't pay any attention...:eek:

If it is a real classic package than they should serve the real "classics" Four Roses, Imperial, Kessler, Schilitz, Blatz, Old Style, Bali Hi, Boones Farm, Rocket, MD 20/20 (Mad Dog), Colt 45, Mickeys, Arrow, Poppov, Old Crow, Wild Turkey, Cutty Sark, J&b, .....

Too Funny! Well done.

I'm talking about Celebrity giving it as a bonus during a promotion and those will end March of 2015 and I think they should stop offering it.

I'm sure that those that purchased it can get their money back, if they are not satisified, and that would solve their complaints. They can then purchase individual drinks.

It would be interesting to know how many that are complaining on here purchased their package or got it under the 123 promotion.

How will it end in March 2015 when X are currently offering the classic drinks package if you book your next cruise onboard - some booking dates are already way after March 2015? Many were booking their next cruises on our recent sailing just to get the drink promotion; they were told they could transfer the perk from one sailing to another without losing it or the additional OBC.

Sorry to hear that you didn't love your trip. We're looking into the beverage and beverage package issue, as well as the buffet issues. Thank you for sharing your feedback, and if you choose to sail with us again, these issues should be properly addressed.

Any chance that these issues, at least the beverage package issues, will get resolved by my next Celebrity cruise on Eclipse in 11 days (5/24 sailing), when my wife and I will be using the classic beverage with package? I really hope so. At least Eclipse supposedly has Alaskan Amber beer, my favorite! Thanks for monitoring this web site and responding. -Steve

Edited by Stang05

I booked a 17 night Panama Canal Cruise for September 2015 while on board the Solstice last month. That was only because of the package was included. But trust me. It wasn't free. Far from it.

Also have a Christmas/New Years cruise booked for this year. Also with drink package. And, actually, even less free.

You are right, the complaining will never end!

The difference is that the folks booking on board can cancel with no penalty and re-book with a different offer, if they want. (I'm not sure UK folks have the same option though). The folks now on board or past final payment don't have that option....they have the classic drink package as it is today.

So yes, complaining here will never end, but some of the folks really have valid complaints or at least what appears to be more valid reasons to complain.

Not all complaints are the same :)

The difference is that the folks booking on board can cancel with no penalty and re-book with a different offer, if they want. (I'm not sure UK folks have the same option though). The folks now on board or past final payment don't have that option....they have the classic drink package as it is today.

So yes, complaining here will never end, but some of the folks really have valid complaints or at least what appears to be more valid reasons to complain.

Not all complaints are the same :)

That is why I keep asking if anyone has actually called Celebrity.

A call to them, with the question if they purchased (not part of a promotion) the drink package, can they cancel it onboard, if their favorite liquor is not included in the package any more, since it was when they purchased it or if it was part of a promotion, is there any consideration Celebrity will give. But no one seems to want to call Celebrity. They just want to hurl accusations of bait and switch and other legal statues, instead of calling Celebrity to see if they will do anything. If I had a problem, the first thing I would do is call the company.

Until things unfold (like complaints about Baileys, then to find out it was included at least on Kevinyork's cruise), no one really knows what is happening. Why not either wait to see or call Celebrity, before everyone gets all hot and bothered. Same thing happened with the Elite breakfast, only to find out that the change was only on one ship and possibly only one cruise.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Although we have picked the drink package perk when offered, we would never purchase it at either level. I drink mosty teas and maybe a baileys or amaretta,,,and dh enjoys a scotch or two. Buying it for two of us would not be cost effective.

the drink package has helped X attract pax from other lines, but maybe they should focus on other areas now..like getting some good live music on board. And hiring more and better trained staff.

as for the buffet, we prefer Blu.for breakfast and dinner..We may stop in to the buffet once or twice but try to get lunch at Bistro on 5, porch and soon at gastro pub....anything to avoid the buffet...we dislike the way it is set up on S class...

Having cruised with Royal Caribbean on multiple occasions we thought the time was right to try 'modern luxury' so booked an 8 night Fjord cruise on Eclipse.

We have just returned and here are my initial impressions of Celebrity:

The positives...

- The Eclipse herself is a stunning & modern ship.

- The food in the MDR was excellent.

- The stateroom attendant and waitstaff were great.

- The itinerary was fantastic and the ports of call were very beautiful.

The negatives...

- The bar service time was awful (sometimes up to 20 minutes in the sky lounge)

- The bar staff were uninterested, did not engage and were less than attentive.

- The oceanview at lunch was a nightmare - there are not enough seats and it seems a lot of guests seem to stay there for hours on end watching people struggle to find somewhere to eat.

- The oceanview tables were rarely cleared.

- The entertainment although good was not brilliant.

The biggest problem was the drinks package! It seemed celebrity would do anything to make people upgrade! They avoided putting pricelists out, when they did put them out they listed only premium drinks and not classic drinks! They changed prices on a daily basis to limit the amount available on the classic package... Bacardi, Stoli, Smirnoff Ice & Bailieys were available to start and one by one they were not as the cruise progressed!

We did upgrade as planned 1/2 way through although we felt that there unsubtle 'up-selling' technique was completely underhand.

I was expecting a premium cruise - perhaps I was expecting too much but to be honest I have consistently received better service on Royal Caribbean and will probably not sail with Celebrity again owing to the poor service on Eclipse.

We agree with all your positives. As to the negatives, we don't drink too much & had no issues. We were attended to quite quickly in Sky lounge. Oceanview can be a cluster...as you said. I did see tables cleaned quite quickly,however. We do prefer the MDR for most meals. Oceanview is better for quick selfserve preexcusion meals.

We agree with all your positives. As to the negatives, we don't drink too much & had no issues. We were attended to quite quickly in Sky lounge. Oceanview can be a cluster...as you said. I did see tables cleaned quite quickly,however. We do prefer the MDR for most meals. Oceanview is better for quick selfserve preexcusion meals.

Too bad the poster couldn't have their first X cruise on an M class ship. I know they would have felt different. We had sailed Celebrity for years, almost exclusively on M class ships. Did sail a few times on the old Zenith and Century but no comparison to the M class. A friend asked us to join them on a RCCL ship to Hawaii. Couldn't wait to get "home" to the Constellation

• 2 weeks later...

The buffet thing just amazes me.

It’s a HUGE venue. A majority of pax eat 2 meals a day there. And while there are staff, at least there’s not waitstaff for each table which I’d think is good for the cruise line.

So WHY on a “new” ship like S-class can’t they design a buffet the right way?

Boggles the mind.

Too bad the poster couldn't have their first X cruise on an M class ship. I know they would have felt different. We had sailed Celebrity for years, almost exclusively on M class ships. Did sail a few times on the old Zenith and Century but no comparison to the M class. A friend asked us to join them on a RCCL ship to Hawaii. Couldn't wait to get "home" to the Constellation

How coincidental. Several years ago we also had friends who asked us to go to Hawaii on a RCCL shop. No only did we wish we were on an M class ship we regret the loss of Celebrity points we would have earned.

We are sailing on the Constellation to Norway in two weeks.

The buffet thing just amazes me.

It’s a HUGE venue. A majority of pax eat 2 meals a day there. And while there are staff, at least there’s not waitstaff for each table which I’d think is good for the cruise line.

So WHY on a “new” ship like S-class can’t they design a buffet the right way?

Boggles the mind.

They did.

I have to agree. I think the design of the buffet on S Class ships is the best we've experience. Many selections and little or no wait.

A cruise where people choose the buffet as a place to meet and hang out or play cards for long periods of time would be annoying. The card playing should not be allowed.

I have to agree. I think the design of the buffet on S Class ships is the best we've experience. Many selections and little or no wait.

A cruise where people choose the buffet as a place to meet and hang out or play cards for long periods of time would be annoying. The card playing should not be allowed.

Personally, I'm not a fan.

I wouldn't say it's wrongly designed, but it's not great either. Part of that's operational though, in that they put things out in one-off locations, so you've got to waste time checking everywhere in case they have something instead of it being a smooth trip as it was on the M-series (pre-Solsticisation!)

Onboard the Constellation for the second time in a couple of months. The cafe setup is really frustrating. I agree that the Solstice class stations is so much better.

PS...The services onboard this cruise is outstanding! Food is pretty good.

Edited by Iamthesea

Onboard the Constellation for the second time in a couple of months. The cafe setup is really frustrating. I agree that the Solstice class stations is so much better.

PS...The services onboard this cruise is outstanding! Food is pretty good.

Yeah, as said, pre-Solsticisation it was better.

When they changed it, they tried to as they say squeeze a square peg in a round hole by making it work as it wasn't designed to. So now it's just a mess.

We just returned from the Infinity and were extremely frustrated by the buffets! I don't understand why they don't leave the MDR open longer (on our sailing, it was open from 12-1:30 on sea days only)! Many people enjoy sleeping a bit longer on sea days, especially on a port intensive sailing. If you eat a later breakfast, you are not able to eat by 1:30. One day we arrived at 1:25 and it was already closed. On our sailing, it would get jam packed at the buffet immediately before port arrival (many days at noon) and just before departure. There was madness, long lines, and no where to sit. We also noticed a decline in the buffet food quality. A lot of poor quality items heavily salted. I always enjoyed having a salad with a nice piece of fish on it. Everyday, the mystery fish was as thin as paper and hard as a rock. I would like to see less variety but a better quality and served in more areas.

Thank you for a fair review that points out positives, but isn’t afraid to note the negatives.

IN the Buffet you said that tables were hard to find but what about the rest of the buffet? Was it organized, well laid out? Were lines reasonable for things like waffles or eggs?

I ask because my recent Summit buffet was chaos on all fronts, and I’m hoping that “S” class buffets are better organized. Thank you

I ask because my recent Summit buffet was chaos on all fronts, and I’m hoping that “S” class buffets are better organized. Thank you

Not sure how recent your Summit was, but in the last few weeks MAJOR changes are being experimented there...I have a thread going now - check it out.