Question About Boarding a Cruise

PBrideBC

Curious about the general process.

1. Do they use body scanners like the airport before you board, or just metal detectors?

2. Do you gather in a waiting area and they call groups to check in?

3. Can you estimate about how long it ought to take at the longest?

4. Is it any faster if you arrive early at the dock?

5. Do you have to let them deliver your bags if you have just a couple carry on sized bags?

Thank you in advance for all replies. Mainly interested in number 5 as I know my spouse. If they have our bags and will deliver them to the hallway outside our stateroom as I have read, my DH will absolutely sit in the hallway outside our doorway until they arrive. Also, please tell me you can keep your bags and walk off at Newark. If you can't, he will absolutely go out in the hallway and sleep laid across our bags until they pick them up. There is absolutely nothing you could possibly say to keep him from doing these things. :rolleyes: :D

Well he may have a very long wait to get your bags delivered to your stateroom.... We have seen our bags as late as 7pm.... And as early as 5ish

Good luck with him, is he always so worried ???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It is just how he is about his things, basically. I've told him and told him just don't put anything but clothing in that bag and who would want it? He is a really awesome guy, just has his moments as everyone does. He won't care a bit how long the wait is, either. I've made our first night dinner reservation at 9pm because I know for sure he will never leave until he has our luggage in hand. He is just convinced someone will snatch it from the hallway. He trusts the employees of the cruise line because to him they have a vested interest in making sure all is delivered alright. Not so your next door neighbor or any random person passing your room.

Edited by PBrideBC

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Most cruise lines have you walk through the scanner like at the airports and all purses, carry-ons, have to be scanned -- just like at the airport. And everything must fit through the machine.

In each port when you return to the ship -- you will also be scanned and all items will be scanned.

After that you will check-in and sit and wait until your number is called to board the ship -- that is -- if you get to the pier early. We always like to get to the ship early and most time embarkation will begin around 11:30 - Noon -- depends on cruise line.

1. Do they use body scanners like the airport before you board, or just metal detectors?

5. Do you have to let them deliver your bags if you have just a couple carry on sized bags?

Thank you in advance for all replies. Mainly interested in number 5 as I know my spouse. If they have our bags and will deliver them to the hallway outside our stateroom as I have read, my DH will absolutely sit in the hallway outside our doorway until they arrive. Also, please tell me you can keep your bags and walk off at Newark. If you can't, he will absolutely go out in the hallway and sleep laid across our bags until they pick them up. There is absolutely nothing you could possibly say to keep him from doing these things. :rolleyes: :D

As long as your bags are small enough to go through the scanner at the airport you can keep them with you. But you may not be able to get to your cabin right away - depends on the cruise line. So you'll have to have them with you for a while.

You don't have to leave your bags out - we've always done walkoff taking our own bags. But you'll probably have to be ready to be in the first group to leave the ship.

When you say scanner just like at the airport, do you mean a metal detector? Or the big, round body scanner thing where you have to hold up your arms? I just wondered because there was a lot in the news a while back about making people do the latter all over the world for any sort of boat, train, plane, or bus. We don't seem to have it for buses here yet, so I was curious. We will board in Southampton, if that makes a difference.

At Southampton, same as the vast majority of ports:

On arrival you hand over your checked luggage (if you choose that option), then join the line for registration.

(2). Varies by cruise line, but generally you just join a line for registration. Usually different lines for those with priority check-in. Although you're likely to have been given a recommended boarding time, it's usually not monitored - might be different if there's a gigantic or slow line.

(3). It totally depends on whether you arrive at a quiet time, how efficient the staff & whether there's glitches in the system/technology. About 1pm to 3pm is usually busiest, that's when a lot of folk plan to arrive, it's also when most coaches arrive, and any delays from earlier in the day will continue to impact.

With priority boarding you can usually expect to be on-board about 30-45 minutes after arrival at the port, without priority expect mebbe 60 to 90 minutes. But it's all very vague, depending on circumstances.

(4) Leading on from that, 11.00 to 12.30 is usually quietest, though if you arrive before registration opens you'll be hanging around in a stationary line or even turned away to wait elsewhere.

(1) After registration, the line leads through immigration, then security (or is it the other way round?). You walk through a metal detector, same as airports. If it sets off the alarm light, you'll be asked to empty pockets, mebbe remove belt or shoes, or lightly frisked. The culprit will probably be a watch, a coin, a gum wrapper or somesuch. .

At the same time your carry-on, plus any coats etc go through an x-ray machine same as at airports.

One difference to airports, the list of banned items is much smaller, it's the same list as for checked items. For instance there's no max size of liquids.

You then board the ship.

(5) As others have commented, you don't have to use the checked/delivered baggage service if your stuff can go through the x-ray. But you'll then need to lug it around (or stow it insecurely) until your cabin is available - usually around 2pm but this depends on the cruise line & the circumstances.

Unassisted disembarkation.

(You don't put your bags outside the cabin the previous evening, instead you haul them from your cabin next morning)

This is possible at most ports, but I can't be specific about Newark.

Usually unassisted disembarkation is about 30 minutes ahead of general disembarkation. Those who use it are predominantly those with early flights.

If you elect to haul your own luggage I don't know whether you're obliged to disembark early, but if you disembark later - say, 8am - there are lines at various places, the elevators are crowded & many choose to use the stairs rather than wait. A lot of luggage would be a hindrance to you, and to others.

Sorry, not a particularly helpful post because of the many usually's, possibly's, probably's etc. :rolleyes:

But it's impossible to be specific on most of these things, especially timing

JB :)

Since your husband prefers to handle his own luggage, if you are sailing on a Carnival ship, invest in Faster To The Fun. The cost is $49/cabin. Your cabin will be ready when you board [usually 11-11:30, but it varies] and you will get priority embarkation after the VIPs. That way you won't have to carry your stuff around and can explore the ship. Your bags will also arrive faster this way, if you check them, so your husband won't have to stay camped out as long - and can at least do so in the comfort of the cabin, not sitting in the hall! You can find FTTF under excursions for your home port. They don't offer too many, so if you want it, grab it.

For what it is worth, I was really skeptical of the "put your bags in the hall" concept at first. It took a cruise or two for me to relax with that idea. Twenty cruises later, it is now second nature. Perhaps once he sees how the system works, he may relax on your next cruise!

Enjoy your cruise.

Metal detectors only

2. Do you gather in a waiting area and they call groups to check in? yes. boarding generally begins between 1130 and noon at most embarkation ports.

3. Can you estimate about how long it ought to take at the longest? to do what? there will be a wait to get through security, there will be a wait to get check din, and the check in process can take 10-15 minutes and then you wait until your blading number is called. if you want ZERO wait them you need to plan on arriving an hour or so AFTER boarding is scheduled to begin. keeping in mind that you mist be ON BOAD 90 minutes before sailing.. not just online or checked in but ON the ship.

4. Is it any faster if you arrive early at the dock? that will incur the longest wait. for instance, we have arrived and not even been allowed to park our car or drop off luggage because the last batch of pax are still getting off at 930 am.

5. Do you have to let them deliver your bags if you have just a couple carry on sized bags? if it fits through an airport security x ray scanner, you can carry it. depending on ship/line you will NOT be able to get to your cabin at all until 1 or 2 pm so you will have to schlep it with you until then.

well guess what he won't be ALLOWED to camp outside his cabin door until they are released for all access. and that is typically about 1 pm. Boarding starts at noon most of the time. he WILL be in the way of the stewards trying to deliver everyone else's luggage and may be asked to stay inside the cabin.

I'd echo what others have said about when to get to the pier; how long you wait really depends on the ship, staffing and traffic flow. Few things:

* Advantage to getting there earlier: you can have lunch on board (buffet is always open at embarkation; some ships also have the dining room open). It also makes the trip feel longer when you can settle in faster.

* Disadvantage to getting there earlier: the staterooms are generally not ready until 1 or 1:30 (depending on ship), so you're stuck with roaming the ship with your carryon stuff. We don't care, though, we just plunk ourselves in the buffet, have a leisurely lunch and bask in the thought of the relaxing days ahead of us...- Diana, musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com

# 5. Don't arrive early. Wait until 1 or 2PM, the lines should be gone and the rooms should be ready. We check out of the hotel at noon, go have lunch and then get our luggage and board. This way your spouse will be at the cabin when luggage comes.

Edited by SPacificbound

I'd echo what others have said about when to get to the pier; how long you wait really depends on the ship, staffing and traffic flow. Few things:

* Advantage to getting there earlier: you can have lunch on board (buffet is always open at embarkation; some ships also have the dining room open). It also makes the trip feel longer when you can settle in faster.

* Disadvantage to getting there earlier: the staterooms are generally not ready until 1 or 1:30 (depending on ship), so you're stuck with roaming the ship with your carryon stuff. We don't care, though, we just plunk ourselves in the buffet, have a leisurely lunch and bask in the thought of the relaxing days ahead of us...- Diana, musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com

So how do you know if your room is ready if you are already on the ship?

Since the OP is sailing from Southampton, and there are no Carnival ships in Europe, she cannot be on Carnival. Since her arrival in the US will be Newark/Cape Liberty, she must be on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. EM

Ok, don't get me wrong here. I'm sure you're all talking sense about the bag thing.

Doesn't matter a fig to hubby. If I reiterate it to him, he will nod along and pretend I have not wasted my breath right now. When it comes time to board the cruise, he will find a way to stand or sit and wait for the bags. If necessary, he will move for the stewards, but he will in no case abandon his post.

He does have some reason for it. Although I have never been on a cruise, he was on one with his parents some years ago as a kid. Someone tripped over their bags as they were coming down the hall to put them into the room. They spilled their drink all over his mother's suitcase. It was something bright blue, and it permanently stained several items of clothing. Once he has a bad experience like that, he's going to do whatever he can to solve the problem. To him, that's either keeping our bags with us, or being there waiting when delivered.

This is just the way he is, and as in all other respects he is a perfectly fine husband, I just kinda ignore and make my own plans for that time frame. Personally, I have plans to find a place in the buffet or one of the pubs and relax. Possibly I will take a swim. If we have our stuff with us, he'll join me for that. Otherwise, I'll be on my own until he gets the bags safely stowed in the room.

Edited by PBrideBC
Edit to add: Yup, sailing on Royal Caribbean.

Well, it sounds like retraining is not an option, so a couple of suggestions: To prevent damage to clothing from liquids, line the suitcases with plastic garbage bags. Line the cases, and also put clothing inside the bags. This is wise if the suitcases will be outside before being loaded, and may be exposed to rein or snow.

Once you have cabin access, hubby can sit inside with the door propped open and wait for the cases. Or sit in the cabin doorway. Sitting in the hallway will block access for those delivering the cases. EM

Ok, don't get me wrong here. I'm sure you're all talking sense about the bag thing.

Doesn't matter a fig to hubby. If I reiterate it to him, he will nod along and pretend I have not wasted my breath right now. When it comes time to board the cruise, he will find a way to stand or sit and wait for the bags. If necessary, he will move for the stewards, but he will in no case abandon his post.

He does have some reason for it. Although I have never been on a cruise, he was on one with his parents some years ago as a kid. Someone tripped over their bags as they were coming down the hall to put them into the room. They spilled their drink all over his mother's suitcase. It was something bright blue, and it permanently stained several items of clothing. Once he has a bad experience like that, he's going to do whatever he can to solve the problem. To him, that's either keeping our bags with us, or being there waiting when delivered.

This is just the way he is, and as in all other respects he is a perfectly fine husband, I just kinda ignore and make my own plans for that time frame. Personally, I have plans to find a place in the buffet or one of the pubs and relax. Possibly I will take a swim. If we have our stuff with us, he'll join me for that. Otherwise, I'll be on my own until he gets the bags safely stowed in the room.

For another poster, there will be announcements on the PA when decks are ready.

While the cabin stewards will probably ignore your DH, and work around him, when the supervisor shows up on rounds, he/she may ask him to leave, and if he doesn't comply, there is a slight possibility that security could be called. You might want to advise DH that the ticket contract states that you will follow all company rules (like not being around the cabins before they are cleared for occupancy), and that the cruise line reserves the right to disembark you for any violation of their rules. So while you are relaxing in the pub, your DH may be getting the "bum's rush" down the gangway (it all depends on how forcefully he wants to defend his post), and you may end up cruising alone. Not saying this is likely to happen, but it is possible. JMHO, and YMMV.

Hubby would never be rude to anyone, or make the stewards step over him, or anything like that. I really can't imagine him being rude to anyone under any circumstances, so I rather doubt he'll be kicked off. I'm sure he will just loiter around in the area until the bags show. Sitting inside the cabin doorway sounds like his likeliest solution.

You do realize that guests are not permitted in the cabin areas until the "cabin ready" announcement is made.....in fact on many cruiselines they actually have the elevators or hallway doors closed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

:confused: Not sure how him standing there will solve the problem.

People trip and spill things with or without an audience.

I'm feeling you are pulling our chain. A bright blue liquid that leaks through suitcases and stains clothes?! Interesting...

Not to mention, he is going to look horribly foolish standing guard outside your cabin for hours on end.

But if your post really is serious:

As has been stated, often passengers are not allowed into the halls where cabins are located, they even have large fire doors which are shut.

Your best bets are:

A) Pack very lightly and bring only carry ons

B) Arrive as late as possible so it is most likely your cabin will be ready

C) Buy new luggage that is waterproof (My choice)

To answer your other questions:

No, luggage doesn't arrive any faster depending on the time you board.

We've had times when our bags were there when we arrived, and another time when they didn't show up until 8pm.

We always arrive at the dock before noon.

As far as the wait, well, same as above.

We've been through security and onto the ship in as little as 20 minutes, and as long as 3 hours.

It all depends. Good luck and enjoy your first cruise

I only wish I were pulling your chain. It would be so much more enjoyable if he would just go with me and be relaxed. I just know he won't until our luggage is safely stowed away in our cabin. If they lock people out, he will just insist we do something by the stairs so as to be the first person down there when guests are allowed. I perfectly understand people are talking sense here and I'm willing to at least give it a try. I've just been through things like this with hubby before hence my asking questions. I'd like to make this at least as sensible as I reasonably can.

As far as putting your stuff in your luggage in waterproof bags and buying waterproof luggage goes, we already do all that every time we go anywhere. I did have to put my foot down when he wanted me to first put each outfit in a gallon zip bag, then the whole lot in a trash bag inside the suitcase. That just seems excessive and takes up too much space. Especially when Hubby also insists we always travel light. I have learned to do 2 weeks in a carry on with a little help from my sink laundry set. I thought it would be terribly difficult when he first put that to me, but it really isn't that bad.

Funny I actually do put big black garbage bags on both sides of the inside of my luggage. Have had my bags sit in the rain out on airport runways to many times and I just hate to get a bag with wet clothes ;)

All that aside it could be at the very least 2+ hrs and more likely 4 before your bags are delivered to your cabin.

And absolutely yes the "Fire Doors" are closed off and no boarding passengers are permitted in the cabin areas until the general announcement is made.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app