Swimsuits and ladies over 60

Over 60's - Who wears /packs a swimsuit  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Over 60's - Who wears /packs a swimsuit

• I'm not interested in bronzing or swimming
    • I have a body image issue
    • Sometimes if the location suits eg. snorkelling

I'm 67 and not overweight, but I'm one who answered the "body issues" question affirmatively.

I have horrible thighs. They could frighten small children. I pack two swimsuits and both have skirts to minimize the thunder thighs.

I don't go in the sun if I can help it. I'm a two-time cancer survivor who spent most of her younger life in the sun and am now paying for it with splotches, thin skin and one or two pre-cancerous lesions having been removed.

I do like to swim in the pool on the ship on a warm sea day or partake of the hot tub. I also enjoy sitting in a shady spot near the pool, so I pack my skirted suits.

I do use plenty of sun screen even to go outside to the store.

You didn't have a choice for those who DO wear bathing suits and sun!!! Well, that's me!

I have a decent body, and still wear a 2 piece, as an "untanned" middle looks horrible with your clothes off!

I just hit that magical "60" mark. I always take my bathing suits with me, wherever I travel. I never know when I'm going to want to dive in or just sit in the sun. And, I don't believe in "age appropriate" rules, either. My suits are all from Athleta, and they fit me well and do what I want them to do. No granny suits for me ;)

I'm 63 years young and bring at least two swimming suits on a cruise so I can wear a dry one if the other one is wet. I love to snorkel, play on beaches and go swimming but I'm not one to just lay around in the sun.

This wasn't cruise related but heck, I spent a whole day on the water-slides with my grandson last year at Legoland. In my mind, I'm no where near 60 yet!

Utahtea

I think you'd be surprised how many "thin in their clothes" people, with a low BMI, actually have a high body fat percentage. I''m sure I'm providing gossip fodder for a certain few on the boards here, but I'm honest with and about myself.

However, I am working in it!

Actually, I think it wouldn't really surprise me, as I am not a big fan of BMI measurements......they often bear very little resemblance to the person's overall health. Then again, body fat percentage probably doesn't either.

I am 63 and have had bilateral mastectomies. I wear a swimsuit, go flat (no prostheses) and let the mastectomy and chemotherapy port scars show if they peek out under the arms or the strap moves over on my upper chest.

I am 63 and have had bilateral mastectomies. I wear a swimsuit, go flat (no prostheses) and let the mastectomy and chemotherapy port scars show if they peek out under the arms or the strap moves over on my upper chest.

I am, truly, in awe! You make me ashamed that I hide my thighs.

I'm a two-time cancer survivor and have just had my port removed and was worried about how it would look in a gown. Thank you as I will no longer worry.

May you always be healthy and strong. You inspired me.

That's not a good poll, there's no way to vote that, heck yes, I bring multiple swimsuits and use them. I don't lay out in the sun unless I happen to on a diving surface interval on a beach. I'm in the water, baby! A very young 61 year old here.

I agree--where's the choice for 'heck yes I bring a swimsuits(s), use them on board and in the pool and on shore! I'm 69 next week and would never not wear a swimsuit because of a less-than-perfect figure.

I wear shorts too!

Edit to say; I should have read all the comments before posting, as the problem with the poll has been addressed multiple times. Also, since hitting 65 I have noticed quite the deterioration in how my body looks--I'm still fairly slim, but the skin just starts to look 'old'--you know, that crinkly look. Also more cellulite than I've had before. It's just part of aging, I guess, and I am learning to accept it. After all, I am almost 70--but still feel about 25.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

I agree--where's the choice for 'heck yes I bring a swimsuits(s), use them on board and in the pool and on shore! I'm 69 next week and would never not wear a swimsuit because of a less-than-perfect figure.

I wear shorts too!

Edit to say; I should have read all the comments before posting, as the problem with the poll has been addressed multiple times. Also, since hitting 65 I have noticed quite the deterioration in how my body looks--I'm still fairly slim, but the skin just starts to look 'old'--you know, that crinkly look. Also more cellulite than I've had before. It's just part of aging, I guess, and I am learning to accept it. After all, I am almost 70--but still feel about 25.

I turned 67 last Nov. and what you say is so true. The people in the movies and on TV, and also in magazines that don't age...it's very rare they've not had some kind of surgery or pumped some kind of stuff, fillers, botox, etc. into their faces and bodies. You sound like me, I accept my age and looks and while I may wish I could look like my 23 yr-old self again...I'm perfectly happy with who I am, as I am.:D

Just for the record, I'm not judging people that do have work done. If you're unhappy with your looks and want to spend your time and money on surgery or fillers, botox, etc.; go for it! Some people need to stay looking young for their careers and again, I say, "Go for it!" I'm just saying...for me personally, that's not an option, I'm happy with accepting my age and I am what I am. My DH loves me, my family loves me, my friends are all my age and are aging gracefully and they love me, and my DS who is 18 just told me the other day, "Mom, you have better style than any of my friend's younger moms." Music to my ears (that my son thinks I'm special)! :)

Edited by mousey

I turned 67 last Nov. and what you say is so true. The people in the movies and on TV, and also in magazines that don't age...it's very rare they've not had some kind of surgery or pumped some kind of stuff, fillers, botox, etc. into their faces and bodies. You sound like me, I accept my age and looks and while I may wish I could look like my 23 yr-old self again...I'm perfectly happy with who I am, as I am.:D

Just for the record, I'm not judging people that do have work done. If you're unhappy with your looks and want to spend your time and money on surgery or fillers, botox, etc.; go for it! Some people need to stay looking young for their careers and again, I say, "Go for it!" I'm just saying...for me personally, that's not an option, I'm happy with accepting my age and I am what I am. My DH loves me, my family loves me, my friends are all my age and are aging gracefully and they love me, and my DS who is 18 just told me the other day, "Mom, you have better style than any of my friend's younger moms." Music to my ears (that my son thinks I'm special)! :)

I agree completely. I haven't had any work done and am often taken for my grandkid's mom (mostly because I have longer hair and people just don't look carefully, I think), but we have to remember that most of those celebrities whose photos look so awesome have had various procedures (which is fine; I think that is up to the individual) and professional make-up with superb lighting, digital photo-shopping and other 'touch-ups' which most of us don't have access to or don't do. A lot can be changed/erased with digital or air-brush technology.

The only bad thing about that is that it gives women an unrealistic expectation of what they should look like, especially young girls.

I probably won't have work done because I am chicken, but if I did a breast lift and something with my neck/chin area would be great.

How did this thread go from do you bring suits on a cruise, to having cosmetic surgery. Reminds me of playing telephone as a kid and seeing how a sentence could get so distorted after repeating it. Before people reply maybe go to the first post and see what is the real subject of the thread.

ps this is true for MANY cruise critic threads.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

The only bad thing about that is that it gives women an unrealistic expectation of what they should look like, especially young girls.

Yes, not only do they not appreciate what can be done with digital magic, they also seem to forget that for many of those people (usually women), looking like that is a huge, huge part of their jobs - the way they earn a living. Many can and do use all sorts of tools in their job (surgeons, personal trainers, dieticians, sometimes even personal cooks and tailors).........all sorts of tools that most people don't have and can't practically get in their lives.

About 25 years ago, I remember overhearing a co-worker talking to a friend, complaining that Cher and her mother were the same age, and why couldn't her mother look as cool and hot as Cher? I just rolled my eyes and felt badly for them both (mother and daughter).

Remember that was Cher then, as a great looking 40 year old:

211396-cher-en-1985-637x0-2.jpg

Not sure how much difference there is between the 50's and 60's.....

I am 56 and bring 2 swimsuits with me (On Caribbean Cruises).

I usually wear a tankini style....I like having 2 pieces (much easier

when Nature calls LOL)...but I like being covered in the mid section

so a blouson style top works great for me.:)

I wear shorts too:)....probably have at least 6 or 7 pairs here

at home....I usually bring 3 or 4 pairs on Caribbean Cruises.

Edited by Lois R

The difference between being in your 50's to being in your 60's is that anything that didn't fall down, fall off or fall out in your 50's will probably do so in your 60's. :D:eek:

Well, I will be 60 in 4 years....is that a warning? I don't plan on changing so as long as I am still cruising I will still wear a bathing suit.

Edited by Lois R

Just turned 63, and you better believe I still wear swimsuits. I am petite, but I stick to tankini's and one pieces. My bikini days in public are over. LOL

It is so funny you should say this! My own "public bikini days" started on a cruise in 2006 and continue on cruises today (I am 60.) I wear bikinis on cruises because my husband loves them. I don't give a hoot about what other cruisers think of what I look like; I do not know them and I am not dressing to please them. At home, though, I take a more conservative bathing suit stance, for the sake of maintaining a certain decorum when I am with my my five sons, my friends, and my family. So I have a "secret swim suit life" while on board a cruise ship!

Actually, I think it wouldn't really surprise me, as I am not a big fan of BMI measurements......they often bear very little resemblance to the person's overall health. Then again, body fat percentage probably doesn't either.

My Dr. changed my height 1 inch taller so I wouldn't fall into the "obese" range. I am solid muscle from lifelong exercise---which weighs a lot more than fat. It was her idea---not mine.

Edited by LindaM
edit

That comment takes away from the niceness of this thread.

Seriously???? It is common knowledge that sun damage ages the skin. Mine is already damaged from years of being careless. Our skin will change through the years whether we are in the sun or not. And, when we are 80, our skin will look 80, or 90 in some cases. That should not hurt anyone's feelings. We age---no getting around it. I've got vertical lines on my chest and even on my legs from sun damage. 80 year olds have that as well. This is the real world....we are changing and getting older. Our skin is going to wrinkle in time.

I am sorry if you felt that comment was insensitive, but I believe you are wrong. It was not my intent to insult 80 year olds....if I am lucky, I will be an 80 year old someday, with 80 year old wrinkled skin! And, I don't think it's insensitive to say I am trying to keep that at bay while I can!

How did this thread go from do you bring suits on a cruise, to having cosmetic surgery. Reminds me of playing telephone as a kid and seeing how a sentence could get so distorted after repeating it. Before people reply maybe go to the first post and see what is the real subject of the thread.

ps this is true for MANY cruise critic threads.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Some threads just evolve into different subjects that stem from discussions of the original post. As long as the OP doesn't mind...what's the harm? I'm enjoying this thread as are others.

it is so funny you should say this! My own "public bikini days" started on a cruise in 2006 and continue on cruises today (i am 60.) i wear bikinis on cruises because my husband loves them. I don't give a hoot about what other cruisers think of what i look like; i do not know them and i am not dressing to please them. At home, though, i take a more conservative bathing suit stance, for the sake of maintaining a certain decorum when i am with my my five sons, my friends, and my family. So i have a "secret swim suit life" while on board a cruise ship!

like!

Edited by mousey

I too am almost 60, not over 60, but I pack and wear swimsuits when appropriate (i.e. when I'm at the pool or beach). I'm obese and pale-skinned, but I don't let that bother me if I want to get in the water. I'm not the type to wear them if I'm not headed to the water (or in and out of the water), but that's because I don't like clingy clothing of any sort and find them a little uncomfortable.

Me too and pushing 68. I just went to the Dr. today and she said the best thing I do for myself is to swim (actually water aerobics and noodling) everyday. It helps arthritis and improves mood and is one of my favorite places on any ship. I also now always swim with a swim jacket (coolibar) which protects from sun exposure -- all kinds of options for suits and for long sleeves/cover your back. Skin cancer in friends is enough of a warning for me.

I just do not concern myself with what others might think of my wardrobe. It suits me and my activities. The fact that I have had so many birthdays has nothing to do with packing swimsuits. First thing in.

Seriously???? It is common knowledge that sun damage ages the skin. Mine is already damaged from years of being careless. Our skin will change through the years whether we are in the sun or not. And, when we are 80, our skin will look 80, or 90 in some cases. That should not hurt anyone's feelings. We age---no getting around it. I've got vertical lines on my chest and even on my legs from sun damage. 80 year olds have that as well. This is the real world....we are changing and getting older. Our skin is going to wrinkle in time.

I am sorry if you felt that comment was insensitive, but I believe you are wrong. It was not my intent to insult 80 year olds....if I am lucky, I will be an 80 year old someday, with 80 year old wrinkled skin! And, I don't think it's insensitive to say I am trying to keep that at bay while I can!

Just start now to take a little better care of your skin in the sun. Lots of cute coverups that have great sunprotection. I particularly like my swim jacket that I bought from Coolibar. 50+ protection and I don't have to deal with sun lotion that bothers my eyes now. I am also known to swim in a big floppy hat and sunglasses -- bothers me when I dive though!