I am so sad

Lois R

I know many of you live far away and have to fly so no booing from

the peanut gallery please:)

I live about a 6 hour drive from Miami and I usually fly into Ft. Lauderdale

on Southwest...have been using them for years. It is about an hour

flight (take off to landing at the gate).....I sail solo and don't enjoy that

drive on 95 anymore:rolleyes:

Anyway, Southwest just opened their itineraries (I am sailing in Nov)

and for some reason it looks like the entire month of November has

only 4 flights......:(.....Nov 1, Nov 8, Nov 16 and the 22nd.......and

on those days....only ONE flight each day......

I am not sure what they are doing:eek:........

They used to offer at least 6 flights a day....both ways..........Jax/FLL

FLL/Jax.....and I always found something! This is so strange and not

sure why they are doing this:confused:......

Would anyone know if they are changing this route for a reason?

If is for not enough passengers? Flights were always full whenever

I flew.......it makes no sense to me......and I am sad.

Thanks for listening.

I just spoke with a very nice gal (at least she was friendly).....and

yes, they have cut back on all their flights except on Saturday's in Nov:mad::(

Back to sqaure 1.......I hate flying into Miami but looks like that is what

I will have to do:rolleyes:

Would anyone know if they are changing this route for a reason?

If is for not enough passengers? Flights were always full whenever

I flew.......it makes no sense to me......and I am sad.

If it's anything like that, it's more likely to be passengers not prepared to pay enough money. You can do a pretty good job of filling an aircraft by charging fares that are too low, but where's the business sense in that?

If it's anything like that, it's more likely to be passengers not prepared to pay enough money. You can do a pretty good job of filling an aircraft by charging fares that are too low, but where's the business sense in that?

The JAX-FLL route seems like a tricky one to be successful at. Connections wise, FLL is much larger for Southwest than JAX is, so people going north or west would have to go south from JAX to hit FLL and then go back the other direction. For O&D passengers, I assume it is largely cruise pax who are often very cost sensitive, which rarely equals profits for the airlines. Wouldn't surprise me that they would have cut the route back.

Ok....I get it but I am still sad.:( Business sense and all that.....

I still loved being able to take that flight:eek:

The JAX-FLL route seems like a tricky one to be successful at. Connections wise, FLL is much larger for Southwest than JAX is, so people going north or west would have to go south from JAX to hit FLL and then go back the other direction. For O&D passengers, I assume it is largely cruise pax who are often very cost sensitive, which rarely equals profits for the airlines. Wouldn't surprise me that they would have cut the route back.

Well, it did surprise me since I have been flying with them on this

same route for at least 6 or 7 years.....and when you know you are

looking for something specific and it is no longer available?:(

It was not a happy surprise......

I will now stop venting and make other plans.

Even if the planes are full and making a profit it doesn't mean the airline will keep the route. If they can deploy that asset to a more profitable routing then the flight will take the chop.

Oh I know. But Southwest has changed rapidly - not doing as well financially, rising costs. They need to cut. I guess that's a route they decided wasn't worth the cost. A bummer for y'all who frequent it.

Southwest seems to be going through some real growing pains. They are all over the place since the takeover of AirTran. AirTran had a competitive product against Delta in Atlanta--Southwest not so much.

Sorry for you about the reduced service in JAX.

MJ

I was waiting for SW to open today, we need air from New Orleans to Pittsburgh, Friday, Nov. 21. They have a couple early morning flights, $180., then the one at 9:35 is $385., and then not another flight until 6:00, price is $180. I didn't want to sit around all day in NO waiting for my flight home. I checked some of the other airlines, and coming into different airports, and not sure what I want to do now!!

I was waiting for SW to open today, we need air from New Orleans to Pittsburgh, Friday, Nov. 21. They have a couple early morning flights, $180., then the one at 9:35 is $385., and then not another flight until 6:00, price is $180. I didn't want to sit around all day in NO waiting for my flight home. I checked some of the other airlines, and coming into different airports, and not sure what I want to do now!!
The first thing is to make the following resolution: "I will not wait for Southwest if there's a reasonable alternative on another carrier NOW." Can you say "bird in hand, two in the bush"? Did you look at other carriers prior to today, or did you just wait because "Southwest is the cheapest"?

Seriously....you have supply and demand at work. Assume that others have that same "sit around" sentiment. Demand is low for the early morning flights as the cruisers can't make those flights. And those "middle flights" are priced to the CURRENT market price of other carriers. Which isn't low because folks who didn't wait for WN have already bought up the "cheap seats" on the other carriers. No need for WN to sell cheap - the market for the prime times has already priced it to $385 or higher.

So....your choice is this. Is it worth $200 per person to fly home at your preferred time? Or would you rather have the money instead? Only you can decide. But one thing is for certain - you won't be seeing pricing going down given the evidence of strong mid-day demand.

One additional thought. Spend the day touring New Orleans. Great city, especially if you go beyond just the tourist traps in the Quarter.

SW cut 10 flights a day from Albuquerque to Dallas, Vegas, LA, and only flight to/from Seattle.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi gb,

We didn't get hit as hard as I thought (maybe more down the road??). Now that the Wright Amendment is gone it's going to hurt us. I think Southwest just gave the ABQ to SEA route to Alaska Air, as that's a tough competitor to go head to head with.

We love Alaska, with their flights to Mexico and Hawaii. (I get a free Companion fare each year with their CC)

Should be interesting over the next year!

Hi Lois,

I think Southwest wants to eliminate all their short flights as "take-offs" and "landings" are hard on their 737 fleet. If they can keep all their plans in the air, for longer point to point routes, it could be less maintenance on their planes. It would be nice if we could get a non-stop ABQ to FLL, but not many flights bypass DAL or HOU going east. Is the train (AMTRAK) any good going south to Ft Lauderdale/Miami?

When we go the New York City, we fly SWA non-stop to BWI (Baltimore) and take AMTRAK into Penn Station NYC. Works really well.

Hang in there,

Kel:)

I don't think they'll get rid of all of their short flights. Routes like STL-MDW, LAX-SJC, DAL-HOU and others tend to do quite well. It's the leisure heavy routes that I think we will see them cutting, because those routes often command a lower fare for the distance than others do.

I don't think they'll get rid of all of their short flights. Routes like STL-MDW, LAX-SJC, DAL-HOU and others tend to do quite well. It's the leisure heavy routes that I think we will see them cutting, because those routes often command a lower fare for the distance than others do.

Agree. They will keep the profitable short flights, but divest if the dead weight. Given the fact that people are catching in the they are no longer the low fare carrier they once were, they will need to cut all losses and maximize profits to stay around long term.

I think Southwest wants to eliminate all their short flights as "take-offs" and "landings" are hard on their 737 fleet. If they can keep all their plans in the air, for longer point to point routes, it could be less maintenance on their planes.

Which, if true, would completely turn its original business model of low-cost, frequent short to midrange flights (200-800 miles) on its head. WN is learning, in a painful fashion, that it's sometimes better to stay at a certain size rather than obsessively following the "bigger is better" mantra.

Growth worked well for WN until it didn't. Can't keep expanding faster than the industry because, if it were so, eventually you will be bigger than the whole industry. There comes a time when you start paying out dividends/buying back shares rather than new a/c. Since international isn't in the cards due to their turnaround model, time to limit growth.

Add to that the fact WN is the U.S. industry's most unionised airline, with an older workforce, and there's all sorts of expenses being incurred now that weren't there before.

The first thing is to make the following resolution: "I will not wait for Southwest if there's a reasonable alternative on another carrier NOW." Can you say "bird in hand, two in the bush"? Did you look at other carriers prior to today, or did you just wait because "Southwest is the cheapest"?

Seriously....you have supply and demand at work. Assume that others have that same "sit around" sentiment. Demand is low for the early morning flights as the cruisers can't make those flights. And those "middle flights" are priced to the CURRENT market price of other carriers. Which isn't low because folks who didn't wait for WN have already bought up the "cheap seats" on the other carriers. No need for WN to sell cheap - the market for the prime times has already priced it to $385 or higher.

So....your choice is this. Is it worth $200 per person to fly home at your preferred time? Or would you rather have the money instead? Only you can decide. But one thing is for certain - you won't be seeing pricing going down given the evidence of strong mid-day demand.

One additional thought. Spend the day touring New Orleans. Great city, especially if you go beyond just the tourist traps in the Quarter.

Yes, I realize all this. We just spent 4 days in New Orleans in October/2013. I don't mind paying the $181.pp. Already checked all the other carriers, and the pricing is $204. for flights, plus luggage. Either I will book on one of the other carriers, or with SW at their early evening flight. When we get back from a cruise, I prefer to get home ASAP on flying day. Thanks for the information though.

Hi gb,

We didn't get hit as hard as I thought (maybe more down the road??). Now that the Wright Amendment is gone it's going to hurt us. I think Southwest just gave the ABQ to SEA route to Alaska Air, as that's a tough competitor to go head to head with.

We love Alaska, with their flights to Mexico and Hawaii. (I get a free Companion fare each year with their CC)

Should be interesting over the next year!

Hi Lois,

I think Southwest wants to eliminate all their short flights as "take-offs" and "landings" are hard on their 737 fleet. If they can keep all their plans in the air, for longer point to point routes, it could be less maintenance on their planes. It would be nice if we could get a non-stop ABQ to FLL, but not many flights bypass DAL or HOU going east. Is the train (AMTRAK) any good going south to Ft Lauderdale/Miami?

When we go the New York City, we fly SWA non-stop to BWI (Baltimore) and take AMTRAK into Penn Station NYC. Works really well.

Hang in there,

Hi Kel, to be honest with you, I have never taken the train from here

to South Florida so I cannot give you an educated answer......

I do know (checked the web since you mentioned it)it takes 8

or 9 hours to take the train to Ft. Lauderdale:eek:...no thanks!

By the time the OP got to JAX, checked in, waited for the flight, boarded flight, flew down, got off plane, claimed baggage, go transportation to port. The could have already been there by just driving down and saved the money. From the interchange of I10/I95 to the exit for the FLL airport (and port) it is only about 325 miles. 5-6 hr drive. :roll eyes:

(and it the OP lives on the south side of Jacksonville the trip is even shorter)

Edited by TruckerDave

By the time the OP got to JAX, checked in, waited for the flight, boarded flight, flew down, got off plane, claimed baggage, go transportation to port. The could have already been there by just driving down and saved the money. From the interchange of I10/I95 to the exit for the FLL airport (and port) it is only about 325 miles. 5-6 hr drive. :roll eyes:

(and it the OP lives on the south side of Jacksonville the trip is even shorter)

Hi Dave, yes, I know how long it takes to drive. I have done it before.

I posted in the beginning, I no longer enjoy that drive anymore.

Edited by Lois R

Hi Kel, to be honest with you, I have never taken the train from here

to South Florida so I cannot give you an educated answer......

I do know (checked the web since you mentioned it)it takes 8

or 9 hours to take the train to Ft. Lauderdale:eek:...no thanks!

Wow Lois, that's one slow train! I guess that just leaves you American and USAir to MIA??

Hang in there,