Is Princess charging room service fees fleet wide or only on the Regal?

4cats4me

[quote name='ggprincess2004']After over a decade of loyalty to Princess we will have to seriously consider another cruise line should this trend of surcharges on room service and other things which were included in the cruise fare continue, and even worse, be taken fleet wide.

We will certainly not be sailing the Regal, no matter how appealing the itinerary may be.

We have a large family group going to Alaska next May/June. Since it's our treat, it would change the economics of that trip - and it just might be our very last on Princess.

Regrettable, but this seems pretty outrageous to me.[/QUOTE]

Likewise!

Being suite cruisers we have been looking more and more at Regent and when you get down to the brass tacks there is very little difference in fares. Being Elite and in a suite with Princess doesn't have many perks left so there is nothing much to hang on for.

If Princess wants to be able to advertise a $599 cruise and then nickel and dime their customers to death, so be it.

With all the new ships being launched it won't be long before there is a scramble for customers.

Mike:)

With all due respect this is fine that we all get to vent, rant and fume!!! Feels good and like all other threads this too will disappear in time and Princess knows this! So what to do????

Unfortunately, while solid followers of our selected cruise line, in this case Princess, we, the members of CC are very few in numbers as compared to the total number of passengers sailing on each ship.

This is the very reason there is nothing we can, in fact, do to resolve this. Princess knows this.

The only thing that REALLY matters to Princess, or any other cruise ship line, for that matter, is the bottom line. This is the fundamental reason for all corporate decisions. This is the information that we, the clients, can use to sway their corporate decisions. BUT it calls for a mass movement and solidarity, something that is rare indeed when dealing with individuals across vast locations.

IMHO I believe everyone (EVERYONE) needs

1. to remove auto tipping on boarding day. 100 percent removal. No-one on the ship should have this charge on their account.

2. stop using all services on board the ship that involves an extra charge. This includes the restaurants, laundry, drycleaning, shore excursions EVERYTHING.

3. Go to the Passenger Service desk everyday and demand a print out of your account to ensure no charges have been added.

4. depart the ship having spent a lovely week on board a ship, been fed, and entertained. And most important you will have given them NOT ONE CENT more than the cost of your cruise.

They may be able to nickel and dime us but we can penny them!

Do this on just one or even two cruise ships and things would change immediately. We the consumer have a multitude of options. Without us, however, these cruise lines are dead in the water!

We do have the power, the question is do we have the resolve??

[quote name='wilfros']With all due respect this is fine that we all get to vent, rant and fume!!! Feels good and like all other threads this too will disappear in time and Princess knows this! So what to do????

Unfortunately, while solid followers of our selected cruise line, in this case Princess, we, the members of CC are very few in numbers as compared to the total number of passengers sailing on each ship.

This is the very reason there is nothing we can, in fact, do to resolve this. Princess knows this.

The only thing that REALLY matters to Princess, or any other cruise ship line, for that matter, is the bottom line. This is the fundamental reason for all corporate decisions. This is the information that we, the clients, can use to sway their corporate decisions. BUT it calls for a mass movement and solidarity, something that is rare indeed when dealing with individuals across vast locations.

1. to remove auto tipping on boarding day. 100 percent removal. No-one on the ship should have this charge on their account.

We do have the power, the question is do we have the resolve??[/QUOTE]

This just punishes the staff which is a terrible response. By all means stop paying for extras if $3 is going to ruin your vacation, but leave the staff out of it

[quote name='wilfros']With all due respect this is fine that we all get to vent, rant and fume!!! Feels good and like all other threads this too will disappear in time and Princess knows this! So what to do????

2. stop using all services on board the ship that involves an extra charge. This includes the restaurants, laundry, drycleaning, shore excursions EVERYTHING.

3. Go to the Passenger Service desk everyday and demand a print out of your account to ensure no charges have been added.

4. depart the ship having spent a lovely week on board a ship, been fed, and entertained. And most important you will have given them NOT ONE CENT more than the cost of your cruise.

Do this on just one or even two cruise ships and things would change immediately. We the consumer have a multitude of options. Without us, however, these cruise lines are dead in the water!

We do have the power, the question is do we have the resolve??[/QUOTE]

I on the other hand will continue to leave tips in place, consume those services that I want, and ignore those that I don't. Considering the benefits that Princess gives in OBC for veterans and shareholders, the free Internet for Platinum, the ability to do laundry cheaply on long cruises, the benefits far far out weigh the fees on room service and the fact that Alfredo's is a charged for dining venue.

Even with the mixer breakout the drinks on Princess are far cheaper then on Celebrity. The added fee dining venues are far less expensive. So complain all you want about a some small fees, but Princess is going done the cost increase route far far slower then are other lines.

[COLOR="Blue"][B][SIZE="3"]Here is the reply I received on Facebook from Princess a few moments ago.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]"Princess Cruises---Hi Curt, from time to time, we re-evaluate our onboard pricing, also taking into account guest demand for certain offerings and services. We are sorry to hear of your disappointment with these upcoming pricing changes."
[/SIZE][/B] Edited by BigTimeCruiser

[quote name='BigTimeCruiser'][COLOR="Blue"][B][SIZE="3"]Here is the reply I received on Facebook from Princess a few moments ago.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]"Princess Cruises---Hi Curt, from time to time, we re-evaluate our onboard pricing, also taking into account guest demand for certain offerings and services. We are sorry to hear of your disappointment with these upcoming pricing changes."
[/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE]

What a crock!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='RDC1']I on the other hand will continue to leave tips in place, consume those services that I want, and ignore those that I don't. [I][B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"] Considering the benefits that Princess gives in OBC for veterans and shareholders, the free Internet for Platinum, the ability to do laundry cheaply on long cruises, the benefits far far out weigh the fees on room service and the fact that Alfredo's is a charged for dining venue.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/I]

Even with the mixer breakout the drinks on Princess are far cheaper then on Celebrity. The added fee dining venues are far less expensive. So complain all you want about a some small fees, but Princess is going done the cost increase route far far slower then are other lines.[/QUOTE]

[I][SIZE="4"]I wonder how long these perks will last.....:roll eyes:

Bob[/SIZE][/I]

I just received the following reply from Princess fb post:

"Princess Cruises: Hi Bob, we appreciate your feedback regarding these charges onboard Regal Princess. From time to time, we re-evaluate our onboard pricing, also taking into account guest demand for certain offerings and services. Two changes that have occurred as a result, first occurring on Regal Princess, are a $3 delivery charge for room service, and $10 per guest charge for Alfredo's Pizzeria, which now also includes a beverage. [COLOR="Red"][B][SIZE="5"]The intent is to introduce these charges across the fleet.[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]"

This really annoys the peat of of me. In other replies, they are saying that it will not roll out fleet wide.

So, Princess, which is it? You intend to charge for room service and Alfredos, or you don't?

Ugh!:mad: Edited by TracieABD

[quote name='BigTimeCruiser'][COLOR="Blue"][B][SIZE="3"]Here is the reply I received on Facebook from Princess a few moments ago.
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE]

I feel sorry for the Princess Facebook moderators who can only give us a "form letter" reply. It'll be interesting to see what the response will be from upper management who make such poor decisions.

"Taking into account guest demand for certain offerings and services"...maybe next they'll implement a fee to eat at popular times to reduce the demand. :rolleyes: Our "disappointment"...that's how they read our anger? :rolleyes: This is the first time I've read Princess Facebook posts which are much more blunt & something CC moderators may not allow yet they still think it's merely "disappointment"??? :eek: Edited by Astro Flyer

..and you fare would be $300 higher or so, probably more. Princess would actually make more money as now everyone is paying higher fares too.

As you pointed out, its the bottom line. This issue is not where the charges are, its how they are set up and communicated.

We do have the power, the question is do we have the resolve??[/quote]

[quote name='Astro Flyer']I feel sorry for the Princess Facebook moderators who can only give us a "form letter" reply. It'll be interesting to see what the response will be from upper management who make such poor decisions.

"Taking into account guest demand for certain offerings and services"...maybe next they'll implement a fee to eat at popular times to reduce the demand. :rolleyes: Our "disappointment"...that's how they read our anger? :rolleyes: This is the first time I've read Princess Facebook posts which are much more blunt & something CC moderators may not allow yet they still think it's merely "disappointment"??? :eek:[/quote]

Has anyone asked them to confirm whether people who buy a beverage package get charged the $10 "cover" at Alfredo's and, if so, how they justify that? Edited by likeadisguise

[quote name='Pam in CA']This is the first I've heard of these extra fees. Room service is traditionally free on all lines I've ever cruised with the exception of pizza. I would be very surprised if a $3 room service fee were applied fleet-wide. As for Alfredo's, the Royal and Regal have a greatly expanded Alfredo's with a much greater variety of options than offered on other Princess ships. On those two ships, it's far more than pizza.[/quote]

We just got back from the Royal's TA. We ate in Alfredo's twice and there wasn't any extra fee. If Princess is starting to charge one now, as they apparently are, they are making a big mistake. The Seafood Bar, Crown Grill and Sabatinis sit empty so much of the time. Now Alfredo's will, too. Even though the larger Alfredo's on the Royal was very good, it's certainly not worth $10 pp even for the expanded menu. Back to MDR and Horizon for us. This nickel and diming stuff by Princess is tacky. Edited by tothemall&beyond

[quote name='likeadisguise']Has anyone asked them to confirm whether people who buy a beverage package get charged the $10 "cover" at Alfredo's and, if so, how they justify that?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bermudiana']Yes now on FB Princess said this new change to Alfredo's, etc. will become fleet wide.[/QUOTE]

They're now saying it will be fleetwide & no response about those who don't want a drink but that's never been an option based on their statements. Others have posted that even Princess call center employees nor travel agents were not made aware of this change. I doubt whoever's replying on Facebook has many answers & only has a form letter reply.

I just posted to Princess facebook asking for some clarification concerning the $3 room service charge (since they plan to take it fleet wide) - as in will it be imposed to swap out the mini-bar? How about on formal nights for elite goodies, on suites for the every night goodies? For the second mini-bar when an elite is in a suite?

I am totally steamed by this - I wouldn't be happy they had done it, if it had been announced with an implementation date, but totally steamed that they did it without notice. They engaged in deceptive marketing and false advertising and as a shareholder that really peeves me.

[quote name='likeadisguise']Has anyone asked them to confirm whether people who buy a beverage package get charged the $10 "cover" at Alfredo's and, if so, how they justify that?[/QUOTE]I agree with you that I don't see a justification for having the $10 cover included in the beverage package. Now if they treated Alfredo's like Vines and required a beverage purchase which could be anything from a $1.95 soft drink on up to get food there then it could be included in the $49 beverage package or the $7 or $4.50 soda packages.

This is just a bad decision. Instead of having positive talk about a new flagship of the fleet, the conversation is about these and dime fees that are not what characterized Princess in the past. Great PR. You managed to turn an opportunity to welcome a new ship into a PR fiasco. A big well done to the entire Princess management????

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

[quote name='RDC1']I on the other hand will continue to leave tips in place, consume those services that I want, and ignore those that I don't. Considering the benefits that Princess gives in OBC for veterans and shareholders, the free Internet for Platinum, the ability to do laundry cheaply on long cruises, the benefits far far out weigh the fees on room service and the fact that Alfredo's is a charged for dining venue.

Even with the mixer breakout the drinks on Princess are far cheaper then on Celebrity. The added fee dining venues are far less expensive. So complain all you want about a some small fees, but Princess is going done the cost increase route far far slower then are other lines.[/QUOTE]

I must say, this is the most level headed post on this entire thread, and I completely agree.

Miscellaneous temper tantrums and threats of boycotting Princess are useless. It is what it is folks, and like it or not, all mass market cruiselines are walking down this same path. The only way to truly show your displeasure is with your wallet, and choosing a different vacation option.

Tony

[quote name='Ethel5']This is the first time we are hearing that the Royal had a fee for Alfredo's.[/QUOTE]

I was on the Royal in Feb for Valentine's Day and ate in Alfredos twice with no cover charge. We did order wine each visit so were charged for that but no svc chg appeared on the bill. Towards the end of the cruise when people realized it was a free dining venue the lines were very long at peak dining times. Other times you could just walk right in.

Jackie

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

[quote name='tgmtgm']
Miscellaneous temper tantrums and threats of boycotting Princess are useless... The only way to truly show your displeasure is with your wallet, and choosing a different vacation option.

Tony[/QUOTE]

Your last statement is true, of course. We will see what happens. I wonder when another line will start advertising free room service as now a big perk. However, I don't think people objecting to a surprise charge that is directly contradicted by Princess's promotional materials is a "miscellaneous temper tantrum." Princess lied; people are (justifiably, IMO) angry about it. It calls up that old saying "Fool me once..."

[quote name='Loonbeam']..and you fare would be $300 higher or so, probably more. Princess would actually make more money as now everyone is paying higher fares too.

As you pointed out, its the bottom line. [B][U][COLOR="Yellow"]This issue is not where the charges are[/COLOR][/U][/B], its how they are set up and communicated.[/QUOTE]

I disagree completely. I am not rich enough that the charges, no matter where they are, do not matter. When the "total cost" exceeds my budget I go elsewhere. Simple Math. And there are MANY other choices, some on water and some elsewhere. Travel and vacations are varied.

All I am saying is that should we all decide to reach this point at the same time then the company must do a rethink as they too have to meet budget demands.

It happened here in Eastern Canada a number of years ago when we all decided to boycott a different gas company on each day of the week. Two weeks later changes, by all companies, were introduced. But it takes everyone.

I, IN Absolutely No Way, am suggesting such resolve exists within these boards. Your response is just one example of someone willing to waiver (ever so slightly). To say anything, or to do anything other than respond in an absolute negative manner only feeds the beast, so to speak.

[quote name='Cruise Junky']This just punishes the staff which is a terrible response. By all means stop paying for extras if $3 is going to ruin your vacation, but leave the staff out of it[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the response they are counting on. Sounds like you have made your decision to accept whatever the cruise industry throws at you.

I am confident Princess Corporation thanks you for your financial support to them in the name of the poor employee.

There already are people that brag about not spending any money onboard. They take private excursions, bring their own water and soft drinks and never eat in a for fee venue. They bring wine on board at each port and don't buy anything in the shops or photos.

So where does Princess go now to makeup the lost revenue?
You all have the option of not eating in Alfredos and not ordering room service if the 3.00 upsets you.

I am not happy with the new charges, but I am being realistic and know that I don't want the cost of cruising to be raised for all. We now have options. If this doesn't work, we may be crying over mandatory price increases on all cruises.

Please allow me to expand and explain my above responses and my attitude.

I agree that there should never be a situation where we, the passengers, need to take action or retaliation through the punishment or withholding of monies from some of the hardest working people I have ever met.

That Said .... Isn't that exactly what Princess is doing? Are they not counting on us to have this attitude? If there was even the slightest chance that this money was targeted for the room service staff because of stingy passengers who do not tip, then I would be the loudest cheerleader for this increase.

THIS IS NOT THE CASE HERE!!! In fact there are even people who know this, on this thread and still acknowledge they will order room service, pay the 3 dollars and tip to ensure the staff gets adequately compensated.

It is not the loyal passengers of Princess who have put these poor people in the position, but rather the authors of this policy followed by those who have approved it.

They should hold their heads in shame as they pass any of their own employees. No us, we have done nothing wrong here. Both the Staff and the Passengers are the victims.\

JMHO Of Course! Edited by wilfros

I didn't care for Alfredo's that much and now I certainly won't go. It's not the fee as much as the fact that I don't drink and I don't want to be forced to pay for beverages that I don't use. I was surprised that Alfredo's didn't have a fee, but $10 per person is high for what you get. On Celebrity, they have the Bistro on 5 for crepes and salads, etc. The fee is $5 (unless it's changed recently) and I thought that wasn't bad, but it was usually empty when I was there.

I am really disappointed in the room service fee. I didn't mind the fee for pizza because there was a lot of waste with it and then the cost of the cardboard box/recycling. Regular room service is a cornerstone luxury of cruising. I don't order it often and I always tip the delivery person extra, but I never thought they'd start charging for all deliveries. I'm very disappointed. Also, cabins with 2, 3, 4 people will likely still be charged $3. I travel solo and will be charged $3 for my single juice and cereal.

So.....here will be my solution. I will order 5 or 6 juices, several bowls of cereal and milk. I'll put the juice and the milk in the fridge. I'll put the cereal in a cabinet. I'll stock up on silverware in the Horizon Court and put it in the drawer. I'll bring Ziploc bags and fill them up with cookies at the IC or HC. I'll bring a bunch fruit from the HC to my cabin. You get the drift. LOL. ;) Sounds silly, but why not? I'm sure I can come up with other ideas.

Seriously, it's good to make fun of it, but I'm disappointed.