Child drowns on Independence

When he was taken from the bottom of the pool he had no cardiac or respiratory activity , he was clearly in extremis- but it sounds they have been able to restore some circulation, and resuscitate him to where he is now 'gravely' ill.... which is not much, but better than when they found him.

If you object to the word drown, what do you think happened to him ?

"Drown", by definition, means death.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/drown

or

to cover (something) completely with a liquid

Pretty sure potatoes can be drowned with gravy.

What's with the semantics arguments? The kid was underwater too long & is in the hospital.:(

I was referring to "drown" as it pertains to the unfortunate and tragic topic of this thread, not your version, which could be considered applicable to anyone that submerges themself in a swimming pool for any length of time.

The semantics arguments might have to do with the OP using the word "drown" as the title of this thread when in fact the child did not drown.

They could have been right there and not realize the child was drowning. Read th link posted by Katydyd.

The real question is why there are not lifeguards. Disney Cruise lines put lifeguards on their ships. All the cruise lines should follow suit.

And by putting in a lifeguard, the cruiseline would be opening itself up to all kinds of lawsuits. I really get upset with posts by parents who insists the loungers closest to the pool should be reserved for them so they could "be near" their kids in the pool. If your kid is in the pool, you need to be actually IN the pool with them or at the very least sitting on the edge of the pool You cannot see if a small child slips underwater from your lounge chair. The child who recently drowned, I think it was on Carnival, and his brother who almost drowned were in a crowded pool and no one noticed they had slipped underwater until it was too late. Their grandmother I believe was in a lounger "watching them."

They could have been right there and not realize the child was drowning. Read th link posted by Katydyd.

As a former lifeguard and certified lifeguard trainer, I always keep an eye out when I'm anywhere near a pool (ship or shore). What I've seen over the years drives me nuts. It is really hard to sit idly by and watch the lack of attention people pay to others who are in a pool (and no, it's not just parents). If I was still actively engaged as a guard, I would probably have to throw half of the people in the pool out on any given day. Disney may have lifeguards, but from what I've seen, if they were actually trained on how to do their job, the pools would be mostly empty most of the time.

I was referring to "drown" as it pertains to the unfortunate and tragic topic of this thread, not your version, which could be considered applicable to anyone that submerges themself in a swimming pool for any length of time.

The semantics arguments might have to do with the OP using the word "drown" as the title of this thread when in fact the child did not drown.

The technical term is "near drowning".

Unbelievable. A responsible parent would have been in the pool with such a little fella. It is unforgivable to do otherwise. I only hope they don't lose their child because of their inability to properly supervise him.

Please stop placing blame, especially since we have very little facts or information.

Do you know that someone drowning is usually quiet and does not flap around like you see in the movies? That they usually just slip below the surface. Parents are looking for signs that aren't there when watching their children. It takes seconds for their lungs to fill with water and sink to the bottom.

Did you know that most drownings begin at the edge of the pool? And that especially children holding on to the edge who may be in trouble will not yell for help or look like they need assistance? Parents are often lulled into a sense of security when they see their children at the edge of the pool.

Do you know that adults with their eyes focused on the pool or on a child in a pool will loose sight of the child and it will take well over a minute for them to react. In a crowded situation they react slower.

Do you know that even trained life guards have trouble seeing a child at the bottom of the pool.

Do you know it takes less than 30 seconds?

And, even if the child was pulled from the water within seconds... once the lungs are filled with water there is always 'secondary' drowning. The lungs filling with fluid (from the body) again, minutes to hours later.

So... stop judging... stop blaming... and offer prayers and hope for a recovery. Positive thoughts please.

Why oh WHY do the cruise lines refuse to enforce pools rules and start limiting the number of people in the pools at one time? There is after all a capacity limit for the pools I am sure. The signs posted say no jumping, no driving, no drinking in the pools but what do we see with NO one telling them to stop? Jumping, diving drinking. My kids are grown now BUT we never let them swim unless we were in the pool with them and when the pool became crowded we made them get out.

Unbelievable. A responsible parent would have been in the pool with such a little fella. It is unforgivable to do otherwise. I only hope they don't lose their child because of their inability to properly supervise him.

A child that young should not just slip away under water unnoticed, regardless of lack of slashing and screaming. I gather we got a lot of them here who sip on the frozen pina and expect others or the ship to watch there little sprogs. lets just hope he pulls through.

.......................... The child who recently drowned, I think it was on Carnival, and his brother who almost drowned were in a crowded pool and no one noticed they had slipped underwater until it was too late. Their grandmother I believe was in a lounger "watching them."

It happened on the NCL Breakaway in February.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/boy-4-dead-brother-hurt-cruise-ship-pool-article-1.1601317

None of the cruiselines are immune to this sort of tragedy.

I'm onboard. The code Alpha was to the "main pool" not the kids pool were the medical team did a great job. Captain came on about a hour after to say they had requested coastguard to collect.

Morbid watchers flooded to the upper decks to see the helicopters ( there was two and several landing / attempts. Then about an hour and a half later we started again. Said the child and two relatives airlifted.

Currently 4300 pax onboard and as school holidays over 1000 kids!

can't believe people blaming, already.

I went missing when I was 5 years old on holiday (over 40 years ago). I was walkimg down a pathway to the beach and decided to hide as a joke and got lost. My parents had a whole search party out and I was found eventually.

I would be mortified to think anyone thought it was my parents fault.

My issue with the pools is that they are far too busy, mess everywhere from adults (not just parents) drinking alcohol, eating burgers, and then getting into a pool., with sun cream and ice cream on the floor. It's s busy you would struggle to see anyone in danger. There should be set times for people to go around the pool, like in some swimming pools where you have an hour max.

As for morbid people watching, we had this last year when someone was airlifted. People videoing etc.

Can't help thinking some of those tutting and shaking their heads at poor parenting were those watching.

I hope he is ok. How awful for all of those concerned.

So... stop judging... stop blaming... and offer prayers and hope for a recovery. Positive thoughts please.

But by judging/blaming, folks can convince themselves how good of parents they are, and how nothing bad will ever happen to them. :cool:

Keeping everything crossed that this little boy pulls through .

One thing to point out , the pool was probably quite quiet when it happened as the ship was off the northern coast

Of France which is currently having similar weather to the uk ( 12 degrees , rain etc )

It could have been a freak accident in the rain and the child slipped , ok , yes where were his parents? is the question , but as we don't know the full facts best not to judge . I travel on IOS with my two kids both under 8 , and find the ship to be excellent , I did have an issue with one of the deeper pools being so close to the h20 zone , but as long as you watch the little ones like a hawk it's generally not an issue .

My kids have strap on back floats in the main pools at all times even though the eldest can swim , as they do get rammed in good weather .

Let's hope that RCI start putting a lifeguard on duty , the ships ex Europe are heaving with kids in the holidays , and this needs to be implemented .

Our thoughts go to the family if the little boy and fingers x he will pull through .

Wow so sad a thing to happen! Whatever the case may be, if the parents were around or not, that is a devastating thing for them. I have a friend who lost a 7 year old son in a swimming pool drowning. He was outside playing with his 10 year old brother and the climbed the "locked" fence at their apartment complex swimming pool and the younger brother fell in and drowned. It was very devastating for the mother and the older brother. My prayers go out to this family!

The real question is why there are not lifeguards. Disney Cruise lines put lifeguards on their ships. All the cruise lines should follow suit.

And then the posts about not having pools available 24 hrs. a day will be all over the boards. I have been to plenty of hotels with no lifeguards. The signs clearly state there are none and that you swim at your own risk. I am a skilled swimmer. I lifeguarded for years on the ocean. The ocean is still available for swimming when the lifeguards go home at 6 PM. Plenty of people choose to go in the water then. I would never get into a pool or the ocean by myself. I make sure that someone else is looking out for me as anything can happen to even the most skilled swimmer. Heck, you probably can't find one lap swimmer who hasn't plowed his/her head into the end of the pool from time to time. And when the kids go in the water I make sure that I am looking out for them whether there is a lifeguard around or not.

The bottom line is a really bad accident happened here and I don't really see RCI as being the culprit this time. I don't know what the parents were doing so I can't place blame there either. However, I imagine that they were aware that their 6 yr. old son was in a pool that was unguarded.

Edited by Ocean Boy

So very sad - hope this little guy is ok.

We have been cruising since 1982 and over the years we have seen more and more children on cruises - which is a great thing. But, we have also seen less and less supervision. Its not unusual to see children climbing up the outside of the hot tub and over the railing. Jumping into the pool and running on the pool deck and yes very often no parent in sight. Letting preteen and teenagers some free rein is understandable, but again, more and more grade school age children are getting free rein on the ship. Unfortunately, something like this is bound to happen. There are pool rules posted at all the pools, but I think its time for RCI to start actively enforcing them. I know that means employees posted at the pools, but, better then a accident like this one happening. Yes, I know its the parent responsibility - but, some parents don't take that responsibility seriously. Lets just keep the little ones safe.

Agreed, however it must be reasonable and legitimate to suggest that Lifeguards should be on duty during the day? There's a lot happening on a pool deck and parents / others can be distracted whereas specifically trained personnel would be likely to be attentive.