Child drowns on Independence

I stood and watched as our Marines airlifted a 6 year old off the ship and I am not either maladjusted of morbid. Yes, there was a crowd there but we were all crying and praying for the little boy.. Nothing disgusting about that !

Not debating your experience, but there was an incident earlier this year (and I apologize for not remembering the ship or date) when the Captain had to order passengers to leave the upper decks because the flashes from the cameras and phones were distracting the helo pilot during a medical evacuation. This was a night evac, and the passengers were notified beforehand not to use flashes on deck.

Parenting is not easy, not by a long shot! What my husband and I always did when ours were young. He took one and I took watch of the other. If it was just me or just him, if we felt we could not watch them diligently, then out of the pool everyone went unless they played in the same area. I know that sounds like kill joy parents, but I was not about to take any chances.

Agree 100%

I'm inboard as well

Those at the C&A cocktail party last night had a debrief from the captain before things got underway.

The child was conscious when he left the ship.

The alarm was raised by other children in the pool and the child was pulled out by adult passenger, 2 of whom had medical training and started a recovery immediately. The ships medical response team were on hand very quickly. There is no doubt that the actions if all involved saved the boys life.

The French CG dispatched two helicopters - one took the casualty and the other took the family - it returned and took more passengers off about an hour later. I assume these were extended family.

The boys condition was described by the captain as serious but stable.

And may I say there are some pious little f**ks on here. I hope the righteous parents who are so quick to Cobden with only the scantest of information never make a mistake or have a momentary lapse to ruin the perfect opinion you have of yourselves.

Thanks for update. Hope all goes well

I will admit to being amongst those who gathered to watch, I grabbed my DSLR as well.

I an air traffic controller by profession and work closely with both helimed and SAR helicopter operations. I had no interest in viewing the casualty, but was interested to see how the operation works and document any learning points I could take back to our operation.

Hats off to the French pilots - they did a superb job.

While it would be nice to have someone to watch over me where ever I go, there is always a cost/benefit.

Over the course of a week, lifeguards on a cruise boat would probably cost less than $5 per passenger, which is small compared to the thousands that they are paying.

At some hotels, the cost for a lifeguard could add $10 or more to a bill that is less than $100.

So the difference is scale. For the cost, there is no excuse not to have a lifeguard on cruise ships give how crowded the pools can get.

Why should anyone foot the bill for parents who can't or won't take care of their kids? It's the parents responsibility to watch their children and if given a lifeguard they might see that as an opportunity to grab a quick bite or run back to their cabin for something they forgot or any other reason to stop watching their kids.

I hope the lad recovers fully and a lesson is learned.

As a note to the above, deck 12 forward, the gym on 11 and the sun bathing area on 13 (I think they call it St Tropez) were all shut well in advance if the evac starting.

Could you identify the type of helicopter, and whether it was a winch or landing evacuation? Just interested in the types of birds used and shipboard operations.

Could you identify the type of helicopter, and whether it was a winch or landing evacuation? Just interested in the types of birds used and shipboard operations.

The casualty was winched aboard a larger white helicopter that didn't see well. From its size it could have been a S92 or similar.

The smaller grey helicopter which I think was an NH90 which landed then winched another pax up about 75 minutes later.

I got some good pics I can upload when back

First and most important prayers and more prayers to the little one, his family and those whom found him.

Being a nurse in a long term facility we had several "near drowning" children. Some have been there as long as 19 yrs.. on a vent to breathe for them and etc. Very sad, but such beautiful kids...

Drowning can only take 30 seconds and in only one inch water..

Yes, everyone should watch their children in the pools.. on our last cruise we couldn't find our 11 y/o grandson. He was not in the kids club (close) found him swimming with some friends. After getting a warm behind, chewed out and a huge lecture that he was told he does not swim alone.. he told us he wasn't he had "friends."

Explained that never is he allowed to swim unless one of us the "adults" are there.

Cathy

Personally, I never sipped on Martini's while children were in my care let alone at the pool. Thankfully, your family got lucky and nothing happened. I personally think the child who has their parents 100% undivided attention is more likely not to have an accident of any kind whether its water related or not.. My prayers are with this boy and him family...

I'm sorry but no one - I mean no one - can give their 100% undivided attention to anything. We're all distracted by things - even for one second. I'm glad you think you're a perfect parent. The rest of us are just realistic about how life actually works. You know what else? My parent's first car didn't have seat belts either!! And we sat on my mother's lap in the front seat sometimes. I'd rather have a reasonably alert and attentive parent who doesn't think they're perfect than a helicopter one. I've seen the results of those types of parents - it ain't pretty.

Last year on Indy a helicopter was trying to land as someone had has a heart attack, or something similar.

The captain had to put the event on the screen to stop people falling over each other with their cameras and phones. It felt extremely morbid. I remember thinking how awful it must be to entertain such a sick maladjusted audience. It really was disgusting.

Ok, I will play one more time. Although my better judgement says to let it go....

I am on vacation. I am on vacation to experience things I don't experience in my daily life. A helicopter is going to land on the ship on which I am sailing. Should I intentionally not watch it, when it is extremely rare and difficult for the helicopter to accomplish it.

I feel sorry for the child and their family. That said, I don't think people should be judged as unfeeling pieces of dirt because they want to watch something as cool as a helicopter landing on a ship at sea. It is my belief that 99% of the people were not trying to watch because of their morbid curiosity about the death or injury that occurred, but because they wanted to witness something that is quite fascinating and rare.

My advice is do not watch the news, because every day I get to see where someone is killed in a conflict, a riot, a car crash, a murder, a horrific accident, or any other gruesome event chronicled daily on the news.

I think everyone one of you who watches the news is disgusting because of your desire to watch morbid things. You all creep me out.;)

I pray the child survives and lives a full and happy life.

jc

It is so easy to judge someone else, especially after the fact, especially not having all the facts. But the reality is kids are quick. Things happen in a heartbeat. We all blink. Have you ever sneezed? Has someone tapped you on the shoulder to ask a question and you automatically turned your head to see who it was? How much time flies by? Do you think if you turned your head back and now can't find sight of your child that you will suddenly clear the pool and dive to the bottom? You cannot judge how you would react. It never happens the way you think. Your first thought is that they got out of the pool. You scan the area . You call their name . May be you get out of the pool to get a better vantage point to look. You are trying to stay calm. That quickly your life can change and every else around you is an expert parent who would have never let that happen. Really? Sure, sometimes people don't watch their kids, sometimes people are too involved in their own activities, I don't know what happened in this case but how could you ever accuse someone of that without knowing for sure. Have some compassion. For once believe in the good in people . And if you have children of your own give them a hug and realize just how precious life is.

A helicopter landed in the middle of the night one time on our ship. We were pretty far forward (balcony cabin) on Ex. I wasn't really thinking about the person they were picking up but it was really amazing that this helicopter was hovering over the ship about to land. It was pitch black and scary. So I did look.

Please stop placing blame, especially since we have very little facts or information.

<snip>

All I read was a bunch of excuses why parents should be forgiven for neglecting to watch a SIX year old while in a pool.

Since you are such a great parent and skilled at watching multiple children at the same time I have a question.

What do you do if you are in the pool with both your boys and they go in different directions at the same time? How to you look two directions at once?

I ask these because even though our two are adults now neither my wife or I could ever master looking multiple directions at the same time. If there is a trick I want to learn it before we have grandchildren...it will be most helpful.

Super easy: 1. teach your SIX year old not to do this or, if you cannot manage that, 2. extend your arm, open your fingers, grab them, close your fingers, draw your arm back. Problem solved. You're welcome.

All I read was a bunch of excuses why parents should be forgiven for neglecting to watch a SIX year old while in a pool.

What if the child was at the pool with grandparents? Aunts? Uncles? (Adult) brothers & sisters? Should the parents still be blamed? :confused:

A helicopter landed in the middle of the night one time on our ship. We were pretty far forward (balcony cabin) on Ex. I wasn't really thinking about the person they were picking up but it was really amazing that this helicopter was hovering over the ship about to land. It was pitch black and scary. So I did look.

And I never had you figured for being a sick, maladjusted person.:eek:;):D:D

Ok, I will play one more time. Although my better judgement says to let it go....

I am on vacation. I am on vacation to experience things I don't experience in my daily life. A helicopter is going to land on the ship on which I am sailing. Should I intentionally not watch it, when it is extremely rare and difficult for the helicopter to accomplish it.

I feel sorry for the child and their family. That said, I don't think people should be judged as unfeeling pieces of dirt because they want to watch something as cool as a helicopter landing on a ship at sea. It is my belief that 99% of the people were not trying to watch because of their morbid curiosity about the death or injury that occurred, but because they wanted to witness something that is quite fascinating and rare.

My advice is do not watch the news, because every day I get to see where someone is killed in a conflict, a riot, a car crash, a murder, a horrific accident, or any other gruesome event chronicled daily on the news.

I think everyone one of you who watches the news is disgusting because of your desire to watch morbid things. You all creep me out.;)

I pray the child survives and lives a full and happy life.

jc

Maybe you don't post so often any longer but you haven't lost your touch.:):)