Do's and Don'ts in other countries

txflood33

Some tips I've learned the hard way...

A thumbs up gesture is considered to be obscene, worse than our middle finger "salute," in South America, most of Africa and in Israel. In Australia, it's fine, so long as you don't move your hand. But pumping your hand up and down is highly offensive.

Nothing offensive about a thumbs up in Australia, hand moving or otherwise.

Another for Australia is that Aussies rarely go to the beach without thongs. Thongs are (i beleive) known as "flip flops" in the less civalised areas of the world, and you've named some sort of underwear after our favourite type of shoe!

Don't be surprised if you hear odd slang in Australia, Seppo is one for persons from the US of A

Finally for Australia our humour can be a bit stronger than other places, don't take offence easily, otherwise you'll encourage them to get worse!

Don't be surprised if you hear odd slang in Australia, Seppo is one for persons from the US of A

!

Great thread but now my curiosity is piqued...........Can you give more information as to why Seppo is slang for someone from US of A? Assume it is derogatory without being too insulting. What word does it come from, etc. Always interesting (sometimes enlightening) to learn what others think of some group.

Thanks!

Great thread but now my curiosity is piqued...........Can you give more information as to why Seppo is slang for someone from US of A? Assume it is derogatory without being too insulting. What word does it come from, etc. Always interesting (sometimes enlightening) to learn what others think of some group.

Thanks!

Try Google. I am not going to post a link because the definition is beyond insulting.

Thanks!

First you have to understand:

a) that Australia has adopted rhyming slang from the cockneys

b) that Australians often shorten words and end them with an "o" so afternoon becomes arvo.

American -> Yank -> Septic Tank (rhyming slang) -> Seppo

Note: rhyming slang is often a bit crude ;)

Originally it probably was meant as an insult as the term came in to use in the second world war when Americans were stationed in Australia. The American lads chatted up the Aussie girls much to the annoyance of the Aussie lads. These days it probably isn't used as an insult, it's just the same as calling the English Poms. Both terms have lost their sting in the mists of time :D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Are you familiar with rhyming slang from the UK?

Well I'm not sure if you have septic tanks in the states (for places with out sewers), but septic tank rhymes with yank, and seppo is a shortening of septic

It's not actually meant to be too offensive, honestly.

As another example what you call ketchup we call tomato sauce. It's nickname is dead horse

There is a great paperback called "Gestures" by Roger Axtell that has a breakdown by country about manners, gestures, etc.

The main thing is certain gestures have different (and perhaps offensive) meanings in different countries.

As a Bermudian, I can confirm saying Good Morning, Good Afternoon or whatever goes a long way here. I tend to get strange looks many places overseas as I automatically do that before approaching anyone.

Found Singapore very clean with the no gum allowed there! Did find their arrivals form a bit daunting as it has in large red letters "WARNING - DEATH FOR DRUG TRAFFICKERS UNDER SINGAPORE LAW". Since my checked baggage is unlocked, wouldn't be a great day if someone had stashed something in my case.

In Sweden during a heat wave, upon returning to our tour bus after a visit in Stockholm, a few tourists insisted on having the engine on so AC could run while we waited for others to return but driver advised that was against the law as was not good environmentally. Got quite nasty with one guy insisting we paid the driver's salary and he had to put it on....wasn't a pleasant scene. Driver won.

As a Bermudian, I can confirm saying Good Morning, Good Afternoon or whatever goes a long way here. I tend to get strange looks many places overseas as I automatically do that before approaching anyone.

Found Singapore very clean with the no gum allowed there! Did find their arrivals form a bit daunting as it has in large red letters "WARNING - DEATH FOR DRUG TRAFFICKERS UNDER SINGAPORE LAW". Since my checked baggage is unlocked, wouldn't be a great day if someone had stashed something in my case.

In Sweden during a heat wave, upon returning to our tour bus after a visit in Stockholm, a few tourists insisted on having the engine on so AC could run while we waited for others to return but driver advised that was against the law as was not good environmentally. Got quite nasty with one guy insisting we paid the driver's salary and he had to put it on....wasn't a pleasant scene. Driver won.

Reminds me of a multiple day land tour of Norway, we were advised on boarding the bus out of Bergen that, because we were principally Americans, the tour company's policy was that no one would be permitted to stand up or go up and down the aisles while the bus (oops, I mean "coach" was on the road. If we did, the driver would have to stop.

Our one European friend on board (from Holland) actually asked if it would be OK if he got up because he might need to use the loo. The tour guide said no because the trip nwas primarily Amerian and "you know how they like to sue."

My best advice, is don't be the "ugly American." Respect the customs and cultures of the country you are visiting. Be respectful even if their customs are remarkably different than ours. If you have a question, ask someone. Most people are happy to advise you. Have fun.

I would have to say that the above is the best advice of any found in this thread.

Reminds me of a multiple day land tour of Norway, we were advised on boarding the bus out of Bergen that, because we were principally Americans, the tour company's policy was that no one would be permitted to stand up or go up and down the aisles while the bus (oops, I mean "coach" was on the road. If we did, the driver would have to stop.

Our one European friend on board (from Holland) actually asked if it would be OK if he got up because he might need to use the loo. The tour guide said no because the trip was primarily American and "you know how they like to sue."

That made me giggle out loud.

My best advice, is don't be the "ugly American." Respect the customs and cultures of the country you are visiting. Be respectful even if their customs are remarkably different than ours. If you have a question, ask someone. Most people are happy to advise you. Have fun.

I would have to say that the above is the best advice of any found in this thread.

Agreed. Try to immerse yourself and take in their customs, rather than forcing your way on them.

Then again, I can also recommend that advice to certain other nationalities when visiting this side of the pond. ;)

In most urban areas there´s an maximum idling time of one minute. Not every one that cares about that, but some does ;)

I would say keep you mouth shut, your ears and eyes open, and follow local customs as best you can.

Whatever you do, do not talk politics, foreign policy, religion, or how much better you might think everything is where you happen to live.

Edited by iancal

I would say keep you mouth shut, your ears and eyes open, and follow local customs as best you can.

Whatever you do, do not talk politics, foreign policy, religion, or how much better you might think everything is where you happen to live.

This sounds more like rules for family thanksgiving :D

Are you familiar with rhyming slang from the UK?

Well I'm not sure if you have septic tanks in the states (for places with out sewers), but septic tank rhymes with yank, and seppo is a shortening of septic

It's not actually meant to be too offensive, honestly.

As another example what you call ketchup we call tomato sauce. It's nickname is dead horse

Cockney rhyming slang is not a UK thing and his hardly spoken these days. It is pretty much limited to certain parts of London and even then it is more of a joke than actual speak.

Most English people will know bits of it but never use it in actual conversation.

Also, most Brits with enough respect and class will never use the terms Yank or seppo...only the lager lout chavvy BNP supporters use those words.

Visiting other countries is common sense. Research where you are going and travel in local spots armed with a normal talking voice, a scarf (if you got into certain places of worship), wear clothes that dont make you look like an arse and show too much,have local currency just in case and observe others when possible.

One fun thing I did learn in Russia is how to drink vodka properly. You breath in before and out after and follow it with a small bite of something. Russians also love a beer with their vodka...hurrah!