Do's and Don'ts in other countries

txflood33

I was reading a thread regarding gratuities from someone in New Zealand and it got me thinking....what are some of the other customs that we do in the US that may seem absurd or offensive in Europe.

We will be traveling to Italy, Greece and Turkey

For example....I don't think tipping at restaurants is the same in Europe as in the US...or is it?

Are there things we shouldn't buy because you won't get them through customs for legal reasons....I remember black coral being a big topic about 10-12 years ago in Mexico.

Any other small things that someone from the states wouldn't think twice about, but may offend or seem disrespectful to someone native to the region?

The only time I've had to worry about this was a trip DH and I made to Scotland. The big thing we were told was to not refer to the Scots as "English" - they are NOT English. I don't think DH and I would have made that mistake anyway, but the reinforcement was good.

The other thing I was told was "bathroom" was considered a room with a bathtub in it. If we wanted a public toilet we were supposed to ask for the "toilet" or "ladies room". Asking for the "bathroom" wasn't rude, just definitely American-tourist. As if they couldn't tell at a glance that we were American tourists.......

On another note, DH and I spent a lot of time "spotting the Americans". It was pretty easy sometimes. :D

You're doing the right thing by asking your questions, though. Respecting the customs of other countries is important!

I was reading a thread regarding gratuities from someone in New Zealand and it got me thinking....what are some of the other customs that we do in the US that may seem absurd or offensive in Europe.

For example....I don't think tipping at restaurants is the same in Europe as in the US...or is it?

Are there things we shouldn't buy because you won't get them through customs for legal reasons....I remember black coral being a big topic about 10-12 years ago in Mexico.

Any other small things that someone from the states wouldn't think twice about, but may offend or seem disrespectful to someone native to the region?

Tipping in other countries is completely different than in the U.S. It's best to research this on line before you go.

There are certainly many "banned" items that you can buy in foreign countries that you can't bring into the U.S. (Drugs come to mind). :) Again, check the web. It's the best resource to answer all you questions. But some of the more third world countries will sell you items that are banned, such as certain artifacts, etc.

My best advice, is don't be the "ugly American." Respect the customs and cultures of the country you are visiting. Be respectful even if their customs are remarkably different than ours. If you have a question, ask someone. Most people are happy to advise you. Have fun.

You must always wear a shirt in public in Bermuda. The beach / water is the only place you can go shirtless.

I try to learn how to say "please", "thank you" and "hello" at a minimum in the language of the country that I am visiting. They seem to appreciate us at least trying to speak to them in their language (as we would appreciate that from visitors here).

As far as cultural no-no's, I think if we let go of our egos, laugh at ourselves when we make cultural mistakes and quickly apologize (instead of getting defensive), they will forgive us most of the time. It has certainly worked for me in my multiple blunders. :)

Whilst I assume that most ladies would cover their shoulders, and men remove their hats when entering a church, some churches in Europe don't let ladies in wearing shorts. Please be aware that some churches, especially in Italy and Greece ban women wearing shorts.

Likewise, in mosques you should be without shoes and some expect women to wear the burka, although this was on a Middle East cruise and I'm not sure Celebrity sail these intineries?

Regards Debbie

Another thing to consider is wearing proper attire when visiting churches and other places of worship. I've seen people denied entry because of the skimpy summer clothes they were wearing! :eek:

If possible, use local currency. If you do choose to use US currency, don't get upset when they give you change back in the local currency. And don't imply it's not real money just because it's not US dollars (sadly I saw this multiple times while in Europe two years ago).

Don't assume or expect everyone to speak English. As someone else suggested, try to learn a few phrases (even just hello, please and thank you).

As for what you can and cannot bring back into the US, check the governments website. It's best to get this info directly from them.

I have always found that a friendly smile and politeness goes a long way in any country.

The way to think about tipping in NZ,Aus and the UK is the same way the US thinks of extra tips. So if you go into a pub and order a meal and the meal is served as described and is satisfactory and the service as you would expect then no further action is required. Pay the bill and leave. (Although say the bill came to £18.75 probably polite to leave the £20 note but change should be offered first).

However if the waiter is particularly pleasing and has made your experience better than it could of been then of course feel free to leave a tip. Same goes for taxi drivers, hairdressers etc. etc... People in the UK have a national minimum wage that they will receive regardless of good/bad service. Of course many people like a tip but we would all like extra money to supplement our wages wouldn't we? I’m a nurse and would love a tip every time I go above and beyond my duties. Of course I don’t get one and nor should the baggage handler at the docks or the waiter who walks 10 feet to bring me a coffee. That’s their job!

The US of course have different expectations as the tip is actually part of the service industry wages and so if withheld causes upset when none is intended.

Oh and as someone above pointed out never refer to the Scots, Irish and welsh as English LOL. Only us English are worthy enough to receive such a compliment :p

You can fill your car up with petrol before you have to pay for it in the UK. Additionally, you can't move at the traffic lights when they are on red (no matter which way you are turning) ;).

The VAT, or tax, is already on the price of items: what price you see is what you pay in England. Most shops don't allow you to use coupons unless you have specifically purchased that item and there are usually limits per person (unlike the shows I have seen in the States where they are allowed to bulk buy). You will be charged extra for a carrier bag in Wales.

And many British people don't live anywhere near London and most of us travel to Europe (are we part of it? :rolleyes:) :p.

On a side note, you can't buy chewing gum in Singapore ;).

Another thing to consider is wearing proper attire when visiting churches and other places of worship. I've seen people denied entry because of the skimpy summer clothes they were wearing! :eek:

That's a big one and was the first thing that came to my mind.

Another custom,which I find strange,is in the little sandwich shops in Italy you go to the cashier first,explain what you want and pay, then take the receipt to the counter so the person can get your items.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Probably one of the best things you can do before you travel is do some research so you know what to expect, e.g. not going shirtless, no codeine allowed, etc. Like the man says, "Time spent on recce is seldom wasted."

Expect questions (and more) from local Customs officials if you bring in more than the usual number of "devices," such as Smart Phones, tablet computers, cameras, etc. The import duties in many countries on such items creates an opportunity for smuggling in goods for resale, not for personal use so local Customs agents can be alert for such excesses.

When entering a country, you may be asked to register all such items and will be required to show them when departing. The registration request happened to us in Egypt, Finland and Greece (at Cairo, Helsinki and Athens airports, respectively. However when we left Helsinki, no questions were asked. But when we checked in at the Athens and Cairo airports, we were pulled out of line and were asked to show the registered items before being allowed into the secured areas of their airports.

If you are bringing in such items as gifts, be sure you know the import rules for such items before ou leave home.

Similarly US Customs will frequently have similar issues when returning with an excessive number of "devices."

A good practice is to register all such items with US Customs. This can be done at any international airport even if you aren't traveling at that moment. The only requirement is that each article has a serial number permanently attached.

Edited by Host Walt

Don't order a capuccino in Italy unless for breakfast.

Don't be flashy with money and jewelry in most large cities. It'll make you a target for pickpocketing.

Tip up to the next Euro in Italian taxis.

All over Europe, secure a price before taking the taxi.

Don't order a capuccino in Italy unless for breakfast.

I have heard of not having chocolate on your cappuccino, - not the done thing - but why not any other time except breakfast ? Our last visit there we od'd on cappuccino after drinking Lavazza all day. Major shakes and no sleep that night.

Top tip - dont eat yellow snow in Alaska :eek:

Another custom,which I find strange,is in the little sandwich shops in Italy you go to the cashier first,explain what you want and pay, then take the receipt to the counter so the person can get your items.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

The same is true in most gelateria. Stops folks from leaving without paying -- what's confusing about it?

I like it and look at it as a way to ensure you understand the cost. Can't tell you how many posts I've read from people traveling who DIDN'T ask the price of something in advance and were unhappily surprised when they got the bill. In fact, I'd go a step further and suggest you AVOID ordering gelato anywhere that you don't pay first. Then you don't end up with a 25 euro bill because you were talked into the "special". ;)

Edited by cruisemom42

I have heard of not having chocolate on your cappuccino, - not the done thing - but why not any other time except breakfast ? Our last visit there we od'd on cappuccino after drinking Lavazza all day. Major shakes and no sleep that night.

It's not that you can't do it. Of course you can. But Italians don't drink capuccino after breakfast. It's just a local custom thing.

Edited by Aquahound