Do's and Don'ts in other countries

txflood33

It's not that you can't do it. Of course you can. But Italians don't drink capuccino after breakfast. It's just a local custom thing.

Oh, OK. I must admit I'm partial to Cappuccino any time of day - Espresso too strong, Latte not quite enough - no chocolate though :)

It's not that you can't do it. Of course you can. But Italians don't drink capuccino after breakfast. It's just a local custom thing.

Italians don't tend to drink any milky coffees after breakfast, so no lattes, cappuccinos etc. the closest you'll find one drinking is a short macchiato. Also espresso is usually drunk at the bar as it is served, not taken to a table to be quietly sipped.

The best advice I can give to the OP for Europe is cover up in churches, use local currency (don't even try to use US dollars nor ask if they except it) and learn a few local phases, even if it is "do you speak English?" If you don't know if someone speaks English always attempt the local language first, they will usually rescue you anyway and speak English back but it's respectful to not assume they do.

Another thing to consider is wearing proper attire when visiting churches and other places of worship. I've seen people denied entry because of the skimpy summer clothes they were wearing! :eek:

Not only in churches. In some Asian countries women in particular should dress modestly, no shorts or even short skirts/dresses, and always covered shoulders. And carry a light scarf that you can drape over your head when visiting some religious places. Most of those places you will also need to remove your shoes, although some tour groups provide shoe covers which are acceptable.

It's a good idea to check the culture of the countries you will be visiting and adapt your clothing and behaviour to suit that culture.

If you plan on taking prescription meds, then carry a copy of your prescription with you.

But not in UAE - not acceptable

Are you trying to indicate that taking prescription medications (under a doctor's orders and with a prescription) is not permitted in the UAE?

If you are then I don't think so....

Scott & Karen

You must always wear a shirt in public in Bermuda. The beach / water is the only place you can go shirtless.

Also in Bermuda, always greet someone with a "Good morning" or "Good afternoon" when going into a shop or inquiring about something. And say goodbye the same way. Just don't immediately say "Excuse me, ...."

Whilst I assume that most ladies would cover their shoulders, and men remove their hats when entering a church, some churches in Europe don't let ladies in wearing shorts. Please be aware that some churches, especially in Italy and Greece ban women wearing shorts.

Likewise, in mosques you should be without shoes and some expect women to wear the burka, although this was on a Middle East cruise and I'm not sure Celebrity sail these intineries?

Regards Debbie

Some temples may require everyone, men and women to have a head covering. In Barbados, we visited the Old Synagogue, it was requested to have a head covering for both. My baseball cap was approved.

Respect the cultures.

Also in Bermuda, always greet someone with a "Good morning" or "Good afternoon" when going into a shop or inquiring about something. And say goodbye the same way. Just don't immediately say "Excuse me, ...."

Thanks for the reminder. We are cruising to Bermuda for the first time, this summer. Looking forward to getting three days to explore the island. Do they walk on the left or right side of the street, there?

Looking forward to getting three days to explore the island. Do they walk on the left or right side of the street, there?

Either side

Driving is a different matter

The first paragraph is misleading. The UAE doesn't prohibit all drugs, only certain ones. Most banned drugs are either some sort if stimulant, psychiatric, narcotics, some steroids, birth control, or male performance related drug.

As long as the drug isn't in the list and you have a valid prescription, it should be OK.

This page has a link to an Excel spreadsheet with the banned drugs. http://www.uaeinteract.com/travel/drug.asp

They have changed it a bit since I last looked, birth control is no longer 100% banned, and I didn't see Viagara on the list anymore, either. That said, I would contact the embassy with a list of any medications you take in both generic and brand name to see if they are allowed.

The first paragraph is misleading. The UAE doesn't prohibit all drugs, only certain ones. Most banned drugs are either some sort if stimulant, psychiatric, narcotics, some steroids, birth control, or male performance related drug.

As long as the drug isn't in the list and you have a valid prescription, it should be OK.

You should contact the people that wrote the list

I just posted the link so people can be informed

Very interesting about the steps one must go through to take certain prescription drugs into the UAE:

"However, the Drug Control Department of the Ministry of health does have special regulations for personal import of such items: patients or travelers carrying prescribed prescription medications must have their prescriptions issued by licensed doctors, attested by a notary public, and, in the case of U.S. citizens, duly authenticated by both the secretary of state of one’s U.S. state, and finally also authenticated by the Secretary of State of the U.S. Government in Washington, D.C."

In this case, "such items" are drugs on their list which includes not only some medical narcotics, but also antidepression meds, hormones, and common anti-diarrheal medications.

You can fill your car up with petrol before you have to pay for it in the UK. Additionally, you can't move at the traffic lights when they are on red (no matter which way you are turning) ;).

The VAT, or tax, is already on the price of items: what price you see is what you pay in England. Most shops don't allow you to use coupons unless you have specifically purchased that item and there are usually limits per person (unlike the shows I have seen in the States where they are allowed to bulk buy). You will be charged extra for a carrier bag in Wales.

The same goes for Sweden. In resturants you normaly tip around 10% if you are happy with the food and service.

Some tips I've learned the hard way...

A thumbs up gesture is considered to be obscene, worse than our middle finger "salute," in South America, most of Africa and in Israel. In Australia, it's fine, so long as you don't move your hand. But pumping your hand up and down is highly offensive.

Don't clean your plate. In much of the Orient finishing every last morsel of food on your plate is perceived as a sharp criticism that the portions you received were insufficient. It's always proper to leave a little on your plate as indication that your portions were adequate.

You want two beers. In Britain, holding two fingers up with your palm facing out is also highly offensive, also interpreted as our middle finger "salute." (I learned that from a flight attendant on a British Airways flight where I was ordering two drinks. She was worldly enough to no take offense and helpfully explained how I might not want to do that again.)

Everything is not necessarily OK. Our "OK" sign is a definite no-no in Brazil (the middle finger salute again) and in Greece and Turkey (infers that the other person is equivalent to a body part). In many Middle Eastern countries it communicates that you think the other person is homosexual.

Camera shy. Always ask permission before taking anyone's photo, even in this day of SmartPhones. In many countries it is very impolite.

Beware the errant compliment. In Arab and African countries, complimenting someone's possession (a dress, a purse, or whatever) creates a difficult problem It's considered a request to be given the designated article and the other person is on the spot...because it's considered rude not to give it away.

Noisy soup consumer. Slurping your soup or tea in Japan is considered very complimentary.

In other words, it's best to avoid using hand gestures except when you know how the hand gestures will be interpreted.

Fortunately most people with whom you will be involved whilst traveling are used to the American traveler and their likely ignorance of the relative gravity of certain hgestures and so they'll ignore the implications.

Edited by Sow There

A thumbs up gesture is considered to be obscene, worse than our middle finger "salute," in South America, most of Africa and in Israel.

I've been living in Israel for almost 20 years, and this is the first time I've heard of that. It's definitely not been my experience at all. (Israelis are, however, familiar with the middle finger salute :p.)

I've been living in Israel for almost 20 years, and this is the first time I've heard of that. It's definitely not been my experience at all. (Israelis are, however, familiar with the middle finger salute :p.)

Our neighbor's daughter and son-in-law (a native Israeli) live in Tel Aviv. I gave him a "thumbs up" sign when he asked how I liked a drink he made. He said great, but cautioned me about doing that when we are in Tel Aviv (we are planning to visit them in late fall).

Could be a local thing in Tel Aviv or it could be I misunderstood what he said. In any case I won't be doing it in any foreign country any more.

You want two beers. In Britain, holding two fingers up with your palm facing out is also highly offensive, also interpreted as our middle finger "salute." (I learned that from a flight attendant on a British Airways flight where I was ordering two drinks. She was worldly enough to no take offense and helpfully explained how I might not want to do that again.).

You have that the wrong way round, two fingers with your palm facing towards you and the back of your hand facing the other person is the rude version. It's equivalent to the middle finger, which is also rude here.

(It comes from the 1300s when English longbowmen were fighting the French. They used the 2 fingers to fire their bows, so if captured the French cut off their fingers. Therefore it became an insult to wave your 2 fingers to show you still had them...and 700 years later... :) )

Now that we've covered how to not be offensive, don't forget the corollary of not taking offense at behaviors that are acceptable in the country you're visiting even if not at home. For instance, in East Asia--even the most "Westernized" cities--it is not considered tasteless, rude or offensive to belch or pass gas loudly in public. Even at the dinner table. So be prepared to grin and bear it.

when ordering a coffee or gelato, that price is to go. if you sit at a table for the coffee or gelato there is usually an extra cover charge. we had lunch at a table in venice and then ordered gelato, but had to have it to go or extra charge, even though we had already had lunch there a minute before!!

in istanbul, we purchased a souvenir of a dagger that was in the museum and thru the cruise scanner it was spotted and 'held' for us til the end of the cruise:o

in hongkong DH was told he didnt have to pay for the ferry as he was a senior!

yes no gum or spitting on the sidewalks in singapore.