Ads on sidebar

toothmaker

Why is the ad space on the sidebar so large? Why can't it be narrower or at the bottom of the page like some of the existing ads? This is very annoying. and can lead to people leaving this website...therefore reduced revenue for those whose ads are infringing on the readable cruise critic space.

I couldn't agree more! There are a couple of threads regarding this subject in other places on the board. I hate it because it makes the active reading so small on an iPad unless you stretch your screen out to move them off to the side. And don't accidentally touch one of those ads! I really wish they would move them back up to the top but they're trying to make more revenue to support the site. I think a lot of people will leave.

I noticed this yesterday here, that it looked odd and initially wondered if I accidently messed up something on my computer. But I guess not. I sure DO NOT LIKE IT this way :mad::mad::mad:

In general, I am getting more and more irritated with large ads, ads integrated into text and overlay stuff that is sometimes hard to figure out how to get off your screen. It's not just CC. not even just the internet. It's everywhere. This era we are in now should be known as the "Advertising in your face" era ... blah!

Cruise Critic is a business. It needs to pay its bills and justify its existence by being profitable.

If you enjoy Cruise Critic, I suggest we all learn to live with the ads.

Lew

I don't mind the ads as much as I mind how they are messing with my window space. I hate the wide space on the side! Please put things back the way they were! I am LESS likely to click on any ad now because it is making me so irritated!

I don't mind the ads as much as I mind how they are messing with my window space. I hate the wide space on the side! Please put things back the way they were! I am LESS likely to click on any ad now because it is making me so irritated!

I agree 100%.

I also don't like them but I do understand this is a business. However, when you lose customers because of them then they need to rethink how they are presenting them. For me the most annoying this is the moving text. I can't stand that. It is very distracting and I'll bet there are a quite a few people that will medically be affected by the constant flashing as well.

I agree that they are very annoying. Just noticed this in the last day or so. But, I do understand that cc is a business and the site is free to us. I'll put up with the ads and like most changes, I'll get used to it. :p

Edited by Lynda90

I assume the intent is to sell more ads than was possible with the top of the page banner format. However, it looks like they have to beef up their sales force since there seem to be only 3 adds on the sidebar (one being a Cruise Critic ad) and the majority is blank. I imagine we'll get used to it, just like all the other advertising intrusions (think Facebook :rolleyes:).

Cruise Critic is a business. It needs to pay its bills and justify its existence by being profitable.

If you enjoy Cruise Critic, I suggest we all learn to live with the ads.

I agree. I MUCH prefer the ads on the right sidebar than at the top or even between posts the way they have been at times in the past.

We take a lot for granted when it comes to Cruise Critic and the only way this site can remain viable is to generate income... from ads. It's not a non-profit. It costs a lot of money for the servers, equipment and everything else that we use whether we're aware of it or not. Yes, they want to sell more ads and by doing that, we have Cruise Critic to help each other and enjoy. Unless, of course, you can offer suggestions to CC on how they can raise money to maintain the site, you'll need to get used to the ads. I'd rather have the ads than have to pay to use the site although I would if I had to.

Edited by Pam in CA

Before I read the forum today and came across this thread, I sent Host Andy an email. Sorry Andy that I did not see this first.:)

I know CC is a business, but my ads take up too much space. What I have done is pull in the right hand side so only the CC area is showing. I have never answered an ad on this or any other forum. And by the way, some of the ads I have seen the past few days are things that I checked into on my own. I hate when that happens.:D

Again, I understand the business of keeping CC free to us all. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Change? We've never done it that way before!

I don't really like the new screen either, but we have to learn to navigate around it! We all have to learn, as my kids say, 'to get over it!'

Change can be good. Let's try to see the plus in this!

Doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I had not even noticed it at all. However, I use a large screen monitor so I have lots of screen space. I can see that it might be a problem with phones or tablets.

DON

Why is the ad space on the sidebar so large? Why can't it be narrower or at the bottom of the page like some of the existing ads? This is very annoying. and can lead to people leaving this website...therefore reduced revenue for those whose ads are infringing on the readable cruise critic space.

adblockplus, and other, browser plug-ins let you control what you see.

It also allows you to block page elements.

Part of TripAdvisor

Their stock now is at $104.04 per share

TripAdvisor Media Group operates seventeen travel brands including TripAdvisor, Airfarewatchdog, BookingBuddy, Cruise Critic, Family Vacation Critic, FlipKey, GateGuru,[3] Holiday Lettings, Holiday Watchdog, Independent Traveler, OneTime, SeatGuru, SmarterTravel, Tingo, Jetsetter, Travel Library, TravelPod, VirtualTourist and Kuxun.cn. TripAdvisor operates websites internationally, including in the U.S., the U.K., France, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Spain, India, Japan, Portugal, Brazil, Sweden, The Netherlands, Canada, Denmark, Turkey, Mexico, Austria, Norway, Poland, Australia, Singapore, Thailand, Russia, Greece, Indonesia, and in China under the brand daodao.com and kuxun.cn. TripAdvisor is headquartered in Needham, Massachusetts.