Would you rather have an outside all the way forward or an interior midship

on the Grandeur?

I have an interior (3053) that I received as a result of an interior guarantee booking.

3008 is available for the same (actually lower) price.

Would you keep the midship interior or take the cabin all the way forward with two portholes?

The outside is 15 square feet larger, unless it loses real estate because it's most of the way forward.

Edited by Merion_Mom

Different people, different strokes. LOL. When I initially read this my answer was "interior all the way". Then saw a differing opinion from a respected member. My opinion though...If choosing between an interior and ocean view, I prefer the interior for the AMAZING sleep.

I will give up that AMAZING sleep for the GOOD sleep on a balcony room. But I find myself rarely, if ever, looking out the porthole/window on an ocean view. Just my two cents. The important thing is having a cabin ON the ship. :)

Edited by reney313

It wouldn't matter to us. We once took the "upgrade" to an outside cabin, but it seemed smaller than the regular inside cabin. I wouldn't pay extra for porthole, but don't really mind if it's there. The location on the ship has never been an issue for us. Who cares if it's a few extra steps?

Distance is not an issue at all. As far as I am concerned, the Grandeur is SMALL in terms of walking all the way forward or aft.

I just got OFF the Grandeur. I had such a good time that I booked another cruise while on board. I already have my cabin assignment, as I wrote in the original post. This past week I was in 8078, a Junior Suite all the way aft on the port side, but not "on" the aft. So walking all the way forward is not an issue.

I am really wondering if anyone reading this has had a cabin very far forward on ANY Vision class ship. Motion? Smaller because of the tapering of the ship's hull? NOISE AT DOCKING???????

:)

I think maybe it depends more on if you get motion sick and what the itinerary is/time of year that could help make the decision.

All else being equal I'd take the outside room. There are still a few cabins forward of that and you're still sandwiched between cabins above and below so I wouldn't be concerned over any mechanical noises (line handling, anchor, etc.)

I am really wondering if anyone reading this has had a cabin very far forward on ANY Vision class ship. Motion? Smaller because of the tapering of the ship's hull? NOISE AT DOCKING???????

Yes, I did once on rhapsody. It was at the front on the curve. Worst cabin we've ever had. Lots of motion and the noise from the anchor was very loud. I would never book a cabin in that area again.

Personally I'd take the midship interior over that porthole. YMMV:)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Distance is not an issue at all. As far as I am concerned, the Grandeur is SMALL in terms of walking all the way forward or aft.

I just got OFF the Grandeur. I had such a good time that I booked another cruise while on board. I already have my cabin assignment, as I wrote in the original post. This past week I was in 8078, a Junior Suite all the way aft on the port side, but not "on" the aft. So walking all the way forward is not an issue.

We had the furthest forward balcony on Enchantment. (Category H, ancient category assignment) It was out of Ft. Lauderdale. I didn't notice any more motion than any other cruise. It was back when they were still using anchors...so that part was kind of noisy.

I liked it. We could wave at the bridge officers, and talk to them if we wished.

I would take any outside cabin rather than an inside. But that is my preference, I would probably sleep the whole day away and be up all night if I had an inside cabin. :)

Edited by Coralc

Yes, I did once on rhapsody. It was at the front on the curve. Worst cabin we've ever had. Lots of motion and the noise from the anchor was very loud. I would never book a cabin in that area again.

Personally I'd take the midship interior over that porthole. YMMV:)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ruh roh. I just switched to 3008! :eek:

32113.jpg

Carol.....we absolutely loved our all the way forward outside cabin on the Indy. Hope you do, too. We felt no movement or had any noise issues. Of course, that's not a Vision Class ship, but I think you will like it. Let us know!

I prefer inside to ocean view. Not been on ocean view on RCCL but the ocean views we have had on other cruise lines have been low down as they are balconies higher, and felt we were underwater and quite claustrophobic. Water splashed on the windows all the time.

Of course, balconies would be a different matter :D

I'll give my 2 cents. I usually don't care -- give me a cabin, on any ship, at a fair price and I am happy. That said, the smallest cabins on Grandeur are really small -- the smallest I have ever had. Ok for a solo, but I think really tight for two. I like the outsides, just a tad bigger. But I have sailed in the ship's "interior, large interior, and outside", and have always had a great time. Enjoy!

Note to newbies -- a smaller cabin "feels" more roomy if you have the steward split the bed into two twins. More walking around room.

Edited by Lady Hudson

Since one of the important parts of a cruise is the cruise experience itself...

A front-to-mid balcony is a must-have here. We try to get the front hump if possible for the best views.

Being able to just sit on the balcony and enjoy the view (day or night), as well as enjoy a book, sip some coffee, have a room service breakfast, or just relax to the sound of the passing water are all "priceless" experiences.

The idea of sitting in a room of just 4 walls (the "dorm experience" as some of us call it...) drags down the whole purpose and joys of cruising IOHO.

Since one of the important parts of a cruise is the cruise experience itself...

A front-to-mid balcony is a must-have here. We try to get the front hump if possible for the best views.

Being able to just sit on the balcony and enjoy the view (day or night), as well as enjoy a book, sip some coffee, have a room service breakfast, or just relax to the sound of the passing water are all "priceless" experiences.

The idea of sitting in a room of just 4 walls (the "dorm experience" as some of us call it...) drags down the whole purpose and joys of cruising IOHO.

Whereas I agree that its nicer to have a balcony, if its a choice of going on, or not going on, a cruise, then I would choose the cruise.

We have been financially limited to interior or ocean view on all our cruises so far, and realistically we have afforded 5, but had we chosen balconies on those then we probably would have only been on two.

Because they are interior rooms, we haven't spent much time in the rooms, and have found some lovely quiet spots elsewhere. I am aspiring to balcony hopefully this year, but cruising isn't just about sitting on your balcony, and I don't think it drags down the whole purpose of cruising.

We have been happy with OV cabins on Decks 2 and 3 on past cruises. Have you looked at an OV on Deck 2 forward? Those cabins are larger than others and are in a quiet area of the ship. Also do a Google search for best cabins Grandeur. A site will pop up that gives advice on cabins.

Hi,

We booked a gty OV on Brilliance for July. We did it on the spur of the moment ( what can I say, we couldn't wait for November :) )

We have been allocated a Large OV as far forward aft as you can get on deck 3. We also wondered about noise and walking distance etc. However we accepted we could be put anywhere and we decided to just enjoy it and just hope there are calm seas etc.

We might have considered changing but considering the cost we decided to stay put and enjoy it whatever happens, just glad to be going but will report back if anyone is interested on return.

on the Grandeur?

I have an interior (3053) that I received as a result of an interior guarantee booking.

3008 is available for the same (actually lower) price.

Would you keep the midship interior or take the cabin all the way forward with two portholes?

The outside is 15 square feet larger, unless it loses real estate because it's most of the way forward.

I had a OV on deck 4 right where the ship starts to get narrow going towards the bow...

It bounced like a car on a PA road that the roving PennDot Pot hole repair crew missed...:eek: And the seas were not that bad....

The cabin size was OK but I will not go that far forward again if possible....

It WAS noisy however, due to being where the corridor narrowed, and there was a crew closet close by..you're looking at a deck lower and FAR forward... IMO, eek

Edited by megr1125