Benefit cuts

Another slightly off-topic question based on curiosity alone as the amounts are small, but I could pursue the matter if others have had a different response ...

I booked a cruise >6 months from departure and received the D+ C&A Balcony Discount as expected. Recently repriced (at a significant savings) when the BOGOHO rates became available for this cruise. My booking number did not change nor did the invoiced booking date change; yet the C&A Balcony Discount dropped by $25 because, according to Royal Caribbean, my new "BOGOHO" rate was applied as the cruise was now <6 months from departure.

Anyone come across this discount change when cruise prices were adjusted after the 6-month departure time had passed?

Yes, you receive whatever discounts you are entitled to on the date the repricing occurs. Six months is the "threshold" for the higher or lower amount.

Another slightly off-topic question based on curiosity alone as the amounts are small, but I could pursue the matter if others have had a different response ...

I booked a cruise >6 months from departure and received the D+ C&A Balcony Discount as expected. Recently repriced (at a significant savings) when the BOGOHO rates became available for this cruise. My booking number did not change nor did the invoiced booking date change; yet the C&A Balcony Discount dropped by $25 because, according to Royal Caribbean, my new "BOGOHO" rate was applied as the cruise was now <6 months from departure.

Anyone come across this discount change when cruise prices were adjusted after the 6-month departure time had passed?

Yes, this seems to be their new policy. Any pricing change causes the cruise and discounts to reprice at the current rates. Just another lovely way to upset their repeat customers.

A similar thing happens when you get to a new level. Try to apply the higher level balcony discount and it too will apply at the current time from departure AND reprice the cruise rate at current pricing. :(

Yes, this seems to be their new policy. Any pricing change causes the cruise and discounts to reprice at the current rates. Just another lovely way to upset their repeat customers.

A similar thing happens when you get to a new level. Try to apply the higher level balcony discount and it too will apply at the current time from departure AND reprice the cruise rate at current pricing. :(

This is not a new policy; it's always been this way. It's just like you getting the current price when you upgrade.

This is not a new policy; it's always been this way. It's just like you getting the current price when you upgrade.

No this is new since the last iteration of their reservation system. In the past I have had my balcony discount applied after the fact when changing levels. The base price was higher but it was not adjusted, only the discount applied.

I will be diamond after my next cruise and was looking forward to the increased balcony discount on future cruises. The last cruise I booked I asked about adjusting later and was told I could, however the base cruise price would be adjusted if I tried. If the base price was the same or lower great. If it is higher on the other hand, such as my Quantum cruise, the whole thing will be repriced more than negating the balcony discount bump. This did not happen until less than a year ago.

Edited by akcruz

Next time put the cabin on hold to retain the pricing. I've done that before when my TA was not available until the next day. The pricing went higher but I still had a hold on the old price and they gave it to me.

Marci, I had already booked the cabin months before. I didn't know if I could cancel and rebook and didn't want to chance losing the cabin I specifically chose.

Unfortunately, the more I read Cruise Critic posts the more I see how difficult RCI customer service/resolutions can be, specifically their infamous IT dept. :eek:

No this is new since the last iteration of their reservation system. In the past I have had my balcony discount applied after the fact when changing levels. The base price was higher but it was not adjusted, only the discount applied.

I will be diamond after my next cruise and was looking forward to the increased balcony discount on future cruises. The last cruise I booked I asked about adjusting later and was told I could, however the base cruise price would be adjusted if I tried. If the base price was the same or lower great. If it is higher on the other hand, such as my Quantum cruise, the whole thing will be repriced more than negating the balcony discount bump. This did not happen until less than a year ago.

I'm not sure if you booked a balcony to begin with, or whether you were going to upgrade to a balcony once your diamond discount can be applied. So, I will use my own bookings as examples. All of these things happened within the last 3 weeks:

I have a 2015 cruise booked, more than six months away, with an ocean view cabin. I upgraded to a balcony on 6/9/14 and received the current price for an E2 cabin for that date, and my balcony discount was $250.

I have another 2015 cruise booked, already a balcony cabin, and I had a price drop on 5/19/14. The base price went down, and my balcony discount stayed the same at $350, since the cruise is more than six months away.

I have a single cabin booked for December this year. I was eligible for a reduced single supplement based on my new C&A points, and again on 5/19/14 they repriced my balcony cabin. I kept the original base price, had the single supplement reduced, and kept the balcony discount of $250 (more than six months).

I have another cruise booked for next month: after final payment date. I am looking to upgrade to a balcony cabin, and the balcony discount will be $225 if I upgrade (the amount for less than six months from sailing). Of course I will get the current price of a balcony cabin if I do this upgrade.

In all three examples above my balcony discount was based on the "six month rule", my base price was whatever the going rate was for that UPGRADED type of cabin on that date. Otherwise, it didn't change.

So, if they reprice the whole cruise if you move up a level and try to apply a higher discount, then that may be true, but that did not happen to me on 5/19/14 with my new C&A benefit for the single supplement.

Edited by pcur

The difference in my scenario is that I originally booked a balcony cabin and had the emerald discount applied. Say that cruise was priced at $1000. Once I hit diamond I should be allowed to have the diamond balcony discount applied. I can, however if the price for my cabin is now $2000, they will reprice my reservation at the $2000 price before applying the diamond discount. No upgrade in the mix, staying in the same cabin. The only difference is the level of balcony discount being applied. This did NOT happen in the past, only since the resevation system has been "upgraded".

If you change categories your reservation has to be repriced to account for the change that I get. Repricing to apply my new level of balcony discount I do not. They seem to be repricing reservations for almost all changes lately and with all their "sales" recently they are messing us up all over the place.

I also have heard if you are fortunate enough to find a price drop on your existing reservation, if you are inside the 6 month window they reduce your balcony discount as well. That did not happen in the past either. Have been there, and it stayed consistent. Only when I have changed categories, etc has the balcony discount been impacted.

Edited by akcruz

The difference in my scenario is that I originally booked a balcony cabin and had the emerald discount applied. Say that cruise was priced at $1000. Once I hit diamond I should be allowed to have the diamond balcony discount applied. I can, however if the price for my cabin is now $2000, they will reprice my reservation at the $2000 price before applying the diamond discount. No upgrade in the mix, staying in the same cabin. The only difference is the level of balcony discount being applied. This did NOT happen in the past, only since the resevation system has been "upgraded".

If you change categories your reservation has to be repriced to account for the change that I get. Repricing to apply my new level of balcony discount I do not. They seem to be repricing reservations for almost all changes lately and with all their "sales" recently they are messing us up all over the place.

I also have heard if you are fortunate enough to find a price drop on your existing reservation, if you are inside the 6 month window they reduce your balcony discount as well. That did not happen in the past either. Have been there, and it stayed consistent. Only when I have changed categories, etc has the balcony discount been impacted.

I would challenge them on this. I applied a new C&A benefit (even though I stayed D+, I was now eligible for the lower single supplement), and they did not reprice my cabin.

With all the confusion going on now, I would just check on it at the time, and then if it's not to your satisfaction go directly to Resolutions with your problem.

It's just that I've been twirling the knobs on this reservation system a lot in the last 3 weeks, and it's all worked out like before.

Good luck.

Well that completely stinks :mad: I'm Emerald but my next cruise will make me Diamond. I have a cruise booked after that one, which will be my first as Diamond. The price of the cabin for that cruise has gone through the roof since I booked, so I guess I'm stuck with the Emerald Discount even though I'll be Diamond? That just seems wrong.

Well that completely stinks :mad: I'm Emerald but my next cruise will make me Diamond. I have a cruise booked after that one, which will be my first as Diamond. The price of the cabin for that cruise has gone through the roof since I booked, so I guess I'm stuck with the Emerald Discount even though I'll be Diamond? That just seems wrong.

Ok, then how do you like THIS for stupid:

You are Platinum. You have 30 cruise points. You book a balcony for a cruise of 7 nights. You get $100 off! :)

You are Emerald. You have 55 cruise points. You book a balcony for a cruise of 7 nights. You get $125 off! :)

You are Diamond. You have 80 cruise points. You book a balcony for a cruise of 7 nights. You jump up to a discount of $225 off! :)

You are Diamond Plus. You have 175 cruise points. You book a balcony for a cruise of 7 nights. You get $250 off! :)

And now, finally, after accumulating SEVEN HUNDRED cruise points, the equivalent of FOUR TIMES one Diamond Plus, you now get "how much" off your balcony cabin for a 7 night cruise?

$250.

Um, really???? :confused:

Edited by Merion_Mom

Marci, I had already booked the cabin months before. I didn't know if I could cancel and rebook and didn't want to chance losing the cabin I specifically chose.

Unfortunately, the more I read Cruise Critic posts the more I see how difficult RCI customer service/resolutions can be, specifically their infamous IT dept. :eek:

Just so you know, it was not a cancelling and rebooking issue. I held the room just to prove the price. They then adjusted my existing reservation to that price.

You should call CC and ask them to change your screen name to Tenacious_Merion_Mom. Thanks for holding their feet to the fire. This is the the type of thing that hopefully gets their attention...hopefully. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just so you know, it was not a cancelling and rebooking issue. I held the room just to prove the price. They then adjusted my existing reservation to that price.

Good to know! I didn't realize you can put a cabin on hold that already had an existing reservation. I was on hold for just a few short minutes, maybe even seconds. Cruise was wonderful and the issue was all but forgotten. I'll know better next time.

Edited by BonTexasNY

Talking about this with hubby.....we get ticked off at the can of drink gift...per household. We spend tens of thousands to get to diamond, and then your gift is per household? One tin of coke. I know we get the drinks at happy hours and the coffee etc, but to get to the point, based on the single rules....are you a household and will you get a full can, or will you get a 75% of a drink gift????

Hmmmmm... ;)

Glad you got it sorted, and after spending about the same amount of time recently on the phone, (about 3 hours total overall) each day over four consecutive days, we got a resolution. Per hour, yep, not sure about the value, but the point is they just don't listen.

We live in Australia. The WOW sale started on a Sunday. We don't get phone assistance service desk normally on a Sunday, it is 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday, then we usually get the answering machine telling us to ring back then.

We looked at the website, it was the 1st June, it was on the website WOW all over the place. We tried to ring, and got through to the overseas desk. We got our emailed invoice and there was some errors. So we tried to ring again, but got the answering machine. Then when we were debating some of the issues over the next few days we kept getting "you booked on the 31st". Not on this side of the world sunshine! We did take some screen shots but didn't have to use them in the end, but I think referring to them may have helped.

Seeing so many other posts about these issues/things certainly helps when you are dealing with the poor overworked phone service people. I think they bluff many people with the "blame the computer" reason for many weird things popping up. If you talk politely with some semblance of logical reason, and you have a speaker phone for the long waits, then you can get the resolution that is correct.

We aren't after something not offered, we want what was offered, and having to argue the point can be tiring. In general we would have to say that the FCC is not much fun either. It makes things very convoluted.

If they we're to put the * based on double occupancy on the paperwork then no one would have a reason to complain. Seeing how they don't have the * they should live up to the deal.

Totally agree that it's no where to be found on the Open Booking Confirmation or the old flyer. When they recently reduced my OBC on TWO bookings I repriced for solo BOGOHO 150% rates, I read to a C&A rep the language from both the old Open Booking flyer and the terms and conditions on the confirmation that I received after purchasing. Both forms describe the next cruise OBC as being per cabin. Their answer was that anything mentioned per cabin *means* double occupancy. I asked where does it state that? They told me in the cruise contract. I didn't have the energy after being 2 hours on the phone and 3 reps to fight anymore or to dig out the contract. I'm saving that for another day. Wish me luck, but, I think they make it up as they go along. (And, obviously with MM's update, they give it back to some.)

I can accept the travel industry standard practice of a solo supplement. It doesn't feel great to pay it out of one wallet/income, but, I do understand it.

It feels so much like they are singling out solos to take another hit to OUR bottom line by reducing balcony discounts achieved through spending the same amount as double occupancy (200 % fares) or FUTURE OBC THAT WE PAID THE SAME PRICE FOR AS EVERYONE ELSE! :mad:

EDIT: Forgot to mention that on one sailing, I was able to book one of the new solo studio balconies. The hit to the next cruise OBC was a full 50% and the points were not going to be doubled. Again, I understand on the points, but, for another couple a hundred bucks I moved to a 200% fare cabin. Guess what? The OBC is still reduced!

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

Talking about this with hubby.....we get ticked off at the can of drink gift...per household. We spend tens of thousands to get to diamond, and then your gift is per household? One tin of coke. I know we get the drinks at happy hours and the coffee etc, but to get to the point, based on the single rules....are you a household and will you get a full can, or will you get a 75% of a drink gift????

Hmmmmm... ;)

SHHHHH......

Don't give them any more ideas!:eek:

Hmmmmm... ;)

Glad you got it sorted, and after spending about the same amount of time recently on the phone, (about 3 hours total overall) each day over four consecutive days, we got a resolution. Per hour, yep, not sure about the value, but the point is they just don't listen.

We live in Australia. The WOW sale started on a Sunday. We don't get phone assistance service desk normally on a Sunday, it is 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday, then we usually get the answering machine telling us to ring back then.

We looked at the website, it was the 1st June, it was on the website WOW all over the place. We tried to ring, and got through to the overseas desk. We got our emailed invoice and there was some errors. So we tried to ring again, but got the answering machine. Then when we were debating some of the issues over the next few days we kept getting "you booked on the 31st". Not on this side of the world sunshine! We did take some screen shots but didn't have to use them in the end, but I think referring to them may have helped.

Seeing so many other posts about these issues/things certainly helps when you are dealing with the poor overworked phone service people. I think they bluff many people with the "blame the computer" reason for many weird things popping up. If you talk politely with some semblance of logical reason, and you have a speaker phone for the long waits, then you can get the resolution that is correct.

We aren't after something not offered, we want what was offered, and having to argue the point can be tiring. In general we would have to say that the FCC is not much fun either. It makes things very convoluted.

Are you kidding? They won't give you two cans of soda!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :mad:

If we go on the same cruise in the future, I will give you MY can of soda. That is just SO WRONG!

:mad:

If you're going solo and paying for 2 anyway, just book for 2, give the name of someone, and then they will be a no show. You'll get your tax refunded after cruise. And you won't get a prorated discount

Yeah, but then you most likely wouldn't get the bonus points for sailing solo.

Royal doesn't want solos on their ships. They are making this more and more clear by the day.

I believe if you are a single and pay 150% (as opposed to 200% when two people are in the stateroom), then they only give you 75% of the OBC and balcony discount.

Sounds fair to me. Why would anyone expect 100% of your D+ discount unless you pay 100% of 2 fares????

My final contact said: I am emailing you the invoice. Don't expect to see any of the stuff we talked about. It will just be one number, the final number that Jared said we would charge you. Just accept it.

He had to override the computers and just "enter" the price that he decided I could have.

WEIRD!!!!

(it is actually a few dollars LESS than what I had computed in the first place. ;) )

Good luck with that if the computers inadvertently change the price for no reason. They won't understand why the total is even written as it is on your confirmation. I've had the same thing happen with a price. The invoice has the correct price but how they got it is a mess. I can only hope I don't end up with a sudden price glitch for this upcoming cruise as I've had with previous issues on verifiable prices.

There are way too many computer glitches on their end in the past year. I haven't booked anything further out than the next year for this reason. And a couple of those cruises will be canceled at final payment time.

RCI has developed too many complicated price rules and glitches for me.

Marriott is treating us too well lately - constant upgrades, free nights, and basically all inclusive enough with breakfast and dinner as part of the loyalty program benefits. And we can cancel and change plans up until 24 - 48 hours prior to arrival with no penalties. If we want to pay extra for specialty dining, we have the world to choose from in all price ranges.

Gina

Sounds fair to me. Why would anyone expect 100% of your D+ discount unless you pay 100% of 2 fares????

By your logic, couples booking Bogoho at 150% of 2 fares should also be receiving a reduced D+ discount. But, that's not the case. Solos only are being reduced.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Hmmmmm... ;)

My husband has coke selected on his profile and I have water selected. We always get both delivered. And we've been on a lot of cruises since this benefit started. We only get one snack box.

Makes sense.

Unlike other promotions, you're paying that proportion that 2 would pay in the cabin, so it's reflecting that proportion in the discount.