Piano Bar Schedule (updated)

mhurdle127

You can add David Anthony to your schedule.

http://www.davidanthonymusic.com/shows

Prinsendam May 10 to July 28

Statendam August 10 to September 29

David is a great entertainer with a "smooth" style. David is also the musical director for The Impressions.

Louis, thanks for the info. Have been trying to find out since I booked my Sept. 21 cruise on the Statendam. Looks like I will have some enjoyable evenings IF I can manage those HIGH bar stools.:)

You can add David Anthony to your schedule.

http://www.davidanthonymusic.com/shows

Prinsendam May 10 to July 28

Statendam August 10 to September 29

David is a great entertainer with a "smooth" style. David is also the musical director for The Impressions.

From the Kiel Canal review thread:

Hi Roy! Answers in sequence:

<Snip>

2. David played the crow's nest each evening from 4:30 - 5:30. Roger was the "Piano bar" entertainer later at night. We enjoyed him for the Sinatra night, but other times felt he was the least reliable "Entertainer" on the ship. Several times the schedule said he should be playing but was no where to be found.

<Snip>

I hope this helps!

If David is performing in the 4:30-5:30 time slot, I don't think he belongs in this thread. I will let you know the current situation on the Statendam around August 17.

Roy

From the Kiel Canal review thread:

If David is performing in the 4:30-5:30 time slot , I don't think he belongs in this thread. I will let you know the current situation on the Statendam around August 17.

Roy

He might be playing the 4:30 to 5:30 time slot on that voyage (I really do not know), but I can assure you that he is a full-fledged piano bar entertainer and has done that on Vista ships on the past.

Edited by taxmantoo

Well, I was going to offer to report on the Statendam, but I guess I won't now. Would you consider posting to just one thread for an extended time, rather than starting a new thread with each update. Reduces the need for Host Walt to keep locking threads, and also makes it easy to bookmark the thread.

Roy

Just got back alaskan cruise on statendam on June 12. Damien Brell did a fantastic job in the Mix piano bar. We heard him every night. Great pianist with tributes to Billie Joel and Elton John. Also open nights playing request. Starts at 9pm. Standing room only most nights.

Just got back alaskan cruise on statendam on June 12. Damien Brell did a fantastic job in the Mix piano bar. We heard him every night. Great pianist with tributes to Billie Joel and Elton John. Also open nights playing request. Starts at 9pm. Standing room only most nights.

Ooooh. I hope Damien will still be on the ship at the end of June. I love Billie Joel and Elton John songs:)

Regarding the David/Roger discussion, I have seen on several places that Roger is one-half of the Adagio duo (the other being the violinist) on the Prinsendam, so I would see David as more of the "Piano man", but that's just my opinion.

Not "just" your opinion; mine, too.

I would think that if someone plays piano during cocktail time, that isn't the same as being termed a "Piano Man" for piano bar type entertainment.

Cocktail time has a different kind of atmosphere.

Same for our TA on Prinsendam fall 2012. We had a core group who showed up every night and formed teams. There was a different theme each night for "name that tune" and he announced the theme the night before, so all day we would think of titles to prepare. Great fun and made new friends. Wonderful to be up there the night we passed Gibraltar about 11pm, as we could see it all lit up and no one else came to see that awesome view. Ships all lined up to pass through, etc. Wonderful memory. Also had 2 very talented ladies who would sing along with him some nights - just like being in a club.

I was on that cruise with my friend Linda. She and I showed up most nights until she got sick and I came alone. I was one of the singers hanging around and he let me sing my heart out. Going there every night was a highlight. . It was frustrating, though, that there were no stools around the piano. Won each time we had Name that Tune. They were fun times.

Daryl Spadaccini was the pianist and he was the best! He's no longer working for HAL and is still mystified why he was no longer offered any contracts. It's HAL's loss.. I think it was because he didn't entertain by singing. He helped but let us do it. He played beautifully and had no ego, unlike other entertainers. I've been on many cruises with other piano guys but Daryl remains my favorite.

I remember sailing out of Cadiz as well late ar night. Wonderful memories.

I was on that cruise with my friend Linda. She and I showed up most nights until she got sick and I came alone. I was one of the singers hanging around and he let me sing my heart out. Going there every night was a highlight. . It was frustrating, though, that there were no stools around the piano. Won each time we had Name that Tune. They were fun times.

Daryl Spadaccini was the pianist and he was the best! He's no longer working for HAL and is still mystified why he was no longer offered any contracts. It's HAL's loss.. I think it was because he didn't entertain by singing. He helped but let us do it. He played beautifully and had no ego, unlike other entertainers. I've been on many cruises with other piano guys but Daryl remains my favorite.

I remember sailing out of Cadiz as well late ar night. Wonderful memories.

You are right - HAL's loss. Daryl was very personable and willing to play whatever we wanted to listen to. I am saddened that I won't run into him again. Enjoyed your singing.

• 1 month later...

Debbie Bacon is excellent! Think you will enjoy her as her music is fresh and constantly changing during a cruise, even a long cruise. as she is doing again this year and early next year. She plays multiple instruments and loves doing the Piano under the Stars now and again on the back decks. It is difficult to find a seat when she is playing.

Anyone have an idea who is playing on the Noordam late Nov thru mid Dec??

To us a "proper piano bar" (yes, with the seating facing the piano) encourages interaction between the entertainer and the audience as well a frequent "sing-alongs". I think interaction is the operative word for the piano bar idea.

In a regular bar with a piano playing it's more of a background thing.

Except for a Christmas cruise (where the piano bar was packed Christmas eve and Christmas night), we've found that if we stand and wait a few minutes seats often open. If a couple is at a table for 4 we don't mind asking if they'd share - we've never been turned down :)Even if the first available aren't the best seats in the house we take them and when good seats open we move if we feel we want to participate more.