A new ship for Princess in 2017?

caribill

Hee hee... :D

But back on the topic at hand, the article says the ship will hold 3600 so I think that would rule out a smaller, Venice sized ship. It's also interesting that they aren't using the Royal/Regal platform for this new proposed ship. You would think if it was so successful that they'd re-use it instead of designing new.

I'm with you and hope it's not déjà vu & turns into another debate between those who like and dislike the Royal's design. ;)

I reread the article which didn't confirm whether it will be a Princess ship & only that it will hold "about 3600" so it's still possible that it could be another 3560 passenger Royal-class ship.

Only time will tell but it's impossible to have a perfect ship for every passenger. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

That's the most cost-effective way & something that's been done for awhile. I wonder how many people realize that the smaller ships on Princess and Oceania are the same former Renaissance cruise ships. Even identical ships can have a different experience depending upon how they finish the interior and the service provided.

I equate it with the automobile manufacturers; GM & Chev will use the same chassis design for their SUVs for example, then just dress them differently. (or Honda & Acura or Toyota & Lexus, etc.)

Even identical ships can have a different experience depending upon how they finish the interior and the service provided.

Best example of this is the one four-ship order from Carnival Corp. that became Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam for HAL and Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth for Cunard: identical hulls, near-identical deck layouts, lots of functional differences.

And remember that Caribbean Princess was the first of a seven (?) ship multi-line order to be delivered. The next two ships went to P&O while the design was tweaked to Princess' satisfaction--improvements not the least of which was finally getting the aft bank of elevators to all call at every deck!

So don't knock the concept of an initial "multi-brand design"

Thank you for sharing the article. I guess we will know soon.

Please not a Royal/Regal clone!

I have never sailed either so don't have an opinion but I would imagine if they are new Princess builds they may do something different. But, who knows.

Hi All

Expect we will see more of the likes of Princess and P&O deals sharing a design

But with internal structure different and only minor superstructure changes.

Ruby to Ventura

Royal to Britannia

Yours Shogun

That's the most cost-effective way & something that's been done for awhile. I wonder how many people realize that the smaller ships on Princess and Oceania are the same former Renaissance cruise ships. Even identical ships can have a different experience depending upon how they finish the interior and the service provided.

Best example of this is the one four-ship order from Carnival Corp. that became Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam for HAL and Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth for Cunard: identical hulls, near-identical deck layouts, lots of functional differences.

And remember that Caribbean Princess was the first of a seven (?) ship multi-line order to be delivered. The next two ships went to P&O while the design was tweaked to Princess' satisfaction--improvements not the least of which was finally getting the aft bank of elevators to all call at every deck!

So don't knock the concept of an initial "multi-brand design"

I never knocked the "multi-brand design concept & understand that the same hull design can have a different experience.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Which is what any company, if they want to stay in business, would do. I think you will find all listed Companies want the best value to help profits and pay shareholders.

Not sure why Carnival Group/Princess would be any different. If they can save a few million on ship design, then thats a few million they do not need to cut from somewhere else.

If I want cheap, I might as well just get it over with and take a Carnival cruise. If you're looking to save money, go for the whale's tail.

That is really not a fair comparison Bob. :) People stopped buying Edsels and the car was discontinued. People are still cruising the Royal and Regal. And if we are to believe the CC reviews as gospel, Regal currently has a 100% approval rating by CC members reviews. It is the only ship that does!! :p ;) runforhills-1.gif

They must have drank the kool-aid:eek:. Just my two cents. I know that others disagree with me, but those are my thoughts. Some of my post regarding these two ships have cynicism in them, but I still don't like em.....:)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

The ship has been sailing for 3 weeks and the flash prices on this ship are currently unbelievable as they are trying to fill it. Heck, they had really cheap prices on this ship starting with the 2nd sailing (if not sooner). I think it is too early to say that it is an overwhelming success.

That fact in itself must say something about a new ship. It's inherited it's reputation from the Royal. :rolleyes:

Hee hee... :D

But back on the topic at hand, the article says the ship will hold 3600 so I think that would rule out a smaller, Venice sized ship. It's also interesting that they aren't using the Royal/Regal platform for this new proposed ship. You would think if it was so successful that they'd re-use it instead of designing new.

I think it will be interesting to see if this new ship is based on regal/royal, or not.

When grand was introduced, they re-used that design many, many

times -- for princess, p&o, etc.

If this new ship is not regal/royal, it would suggest disappointment

with that design.

I think it will be interesting to see if this new ship is based on regal/royal, or not.

When grand was introduced, they re-used that design many, many

times -- for princess, p&o, etc.

If this new ship is not regal/royal, it would suggest disappointment

with that design.

Someone should start a poll to see what the opinion is. My guess is that it'll be a mix with lots of corrections previously made.

[Please not a Royal/Regal clone!

/COLOR]

Is it just us or there other people who found the SeaWalk not that exciting, & the light & water show beyond boring?

***the color feature is not working for me today***

After a B2B on Royal we found most of the ship boring and the worst part was the number of rude and inconsiderate passengers. Dining service left a lot to be desired. just not up to the Princess style we are used to.

RCIs Azamara also has 2 of the Ren ships and operates them much as Oceania does. Princess operates them Princess style.

If I want cheap, I might as well just get it over with and take a Carnival cruise. If you're looking to save money, go for the whale's tail.

Maybe Wal mart will go into the cruise business and then we will see cheap in every sense of the word.

They must have drank the kool-aid:eek:. Just my two cents. I know that others disagree with me, but those are my thoughts. Some of my post regarding these two ships have cynicism in them, but I still don't like em.....:)

Bob

Considering what you spent to cruise on the Royal I value your opinion.;)

Mike:)

After a B2B on Royal we found most of the ship boring and the worst part was the number of rude and inconsiderate passengers. Dining service left a lot to be desired. just not up to the Princess style we are used to.

It could be that the passengers were most of the higher Elites and think they were special & should have been catered to. Poor dining service was no excuse, even for a new ship since it was made up of employees transferred from other ships.

It could be that the passengers were most of the higher Elites and think they were special & should have been catered to. Poor dining service was no excuse, even for a new ship since it was made up of employees transferred from other ships.

I disagree that it's the Elites passengers who are most of the rude ones & instead most of them are are very easy going, friendly & helpful. Rudeness is determined by someone's outlook on life & not related to how many times sailing with any cruise line. A self entitled 1st time passenger is as likely to be rude as anyone who is at the elite level. Experiences will vary but during 18 days on the Royal I never ran into rude or inconsiderate passengers. Our waiters at the Symphony anytime dining room were very efficient & provided great service with a smile.

I think it might be a smaller P&O ship, the Oriana is 20 next year and sadly showing her age.
Author of the news release estimated 3,600 passengers. That is essentially the same as the Royal. If that is the case, they might use the Royal hull. News release also stated that Carnival and HAL had new ships being delivered by 2016. Any idea about the balcony sizes on those new builds. I think that was one major step back with the Royal/Regal/Britannia design.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

I disagree that it's the Elites passengers who are most of the rude ones & instead most of them are are very easy going, friendly & helpful. Rudeness is determined by someone's outlook on life & not related to how many times sailing with any cruise line. A self entitled 1st time passenger is as likely to be rude as anyone who is at the elite level. Experiences will vary but during 18 days on the Royal I never ran into rude or inconsiderate passengers. Our waiters at the Symphony anytime dining room were very efficient & provided great service with a smile.

Not to argue, but there were sooooo many compliants on Royal's Maiden TA which was chock a block full of Elites of rudeness of passengers. I realize they're not all like that but newbies don't wave their black card in people's faces to demand attention.

Not to argue, but there were sooooo many compliants on Royal's Maiden TA which was chock a block full of Elites of rudeness of passengers. I realize they're not all like that but newbies don't wave their black card in people's faces to demand attention.

I'm not going to be argumentative either & understand that some didn't enjoy their experience. I am merely sharing my experiences which were different than the ones you mentioned.

Despite what some may think to me even when there are "sooooo" many CC complaints it's still only a very small percentage of the passengers onboard. The overwhelming majority are not on CC so CC opinions are not necessarily indicative of how the majority of the passengers feel about a cruise. There were over 1200 elite onboard however I never ran into any rude passengers...elite to blue.

I've read positive & negative opinions about most cruises however would never base my decision on them. We've read many times about passengers who cancel a cruise based on negative comments or those who continue on a cruise despite negative comments & say everything was great.

It's good to read various opinions however for me I take them with a "grain of salt".

Edited by Astro Flyer

Considering what you spent to cruise on the Royal I value your opinion.;)

Mike:)

I feel for Bob in that he spent a lot of money on a Suite and did not get what he expected. However, most passengers do not book a suite and may have different outlooks. I have read many positive reviews of the Royal from those in standard cabins. I don't think one person's opinion based on spending a looooootttt of money should sway anyone from cruising the Royal. With that said, I do think Bob's opinion is extremely valuable to those who might book the same category suite as he did.

I agree with you Frank. I think people who feel entitled and who can be rude can be first time cruisers to cruisers who have cruised more times than one could count. I think it is more about the personality of the cruiser than their Princess status.