Guarantee Inside Cabin

zodiac1

We are frequent cruisers on Celebrity and are taking our first cruise to Alaska in August. We got a terrific price for an Inside Guarantee and have been assigned our cabin. Princess did give us an upgrade to a better inside cabin. Has anyone been assigned their guarantee cabin and then has Princess ever upgraded them again prior to departure? Celebrity usually continues to upgrade our cabins before sailing and I'm hoping Princess might upgrade us into an ocean view cabin as we approach the departure date. There continues to be a lot of cabins available although inside cabins are sold out.

We are frequent cruisers on Celebrity and are taking our first cruise to Alaska in August. We got a terrific price for an Inside Guarantee and have been assigned our cabin. Princess did give us an upgrade to a better inside cabin. Has anyone been assigned their guarantee cabin and then has Princess ever upgraded them again prior to departure? Celebrity usually continues to upgrade our cabins before sailing and I'm hoping Princess might upgrade us into an ocean view cabin as we approach the departure date. There continues to be a lot of cabins available although inside cabins are sold out.

Yes its possible as Pam said but don't count on it.

Usually all changes are completed by a couple days before the cruise.

It happened to me on my last Alaskan cruise....inside to ocean view to balcony. But the upgrades overall are few and far between. The best advice is to book the cabin you know you will be comfy in and enjoy the cruise. Dont plan on being upgraded and that way you won't be disappointed.

...But the upgrades overall are few and far between. The best advice is to book the cabin you know you will be comfy in and enjoy the cruise. Dont plan on being upgraded and that way you won't be disappointed.

I agree. We once had a 10-category upgrade on HAL "at the pier", from a low-category inside to a high-category outside. We didn't know about it until we were boarding. But it never happened again.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I agree. We once had a 10-category upgrade on HAL "at the pier", from a low-category inside to a high-category outside. We didn't know about it until we were boarding. But it never happened again.

Princess does not upgrade at the pier.

We are still waiting for assignment on inside guarantee for our July 1st sailing on Pacific Princess. Website is showing all the inside and ocean view categories are sold out so I guess those that booked earlier will be getting upgrades.

I had booked the lowest cost inside cabin (IF) with a room assignment. I was upgraded 3 separate times.

Mid ship inside (IB)

Forward window (OC)

Mid Aft balcony (BB)

It is rare but it happens. Note: I do have a 14 cruise credit and will become Elite after the next cruise.

Edited by denmarks

We have been upgraded at the pier. They may have done the paper work before that but we were not informed until we got to the pier.

Same here. In fact, the previous passengers' names were still on the suite's door.

Edited by gooch47

We are still waiting for assignment on inside guarantee for our July 1st sailing on Pacific Princess. Website is showing all the inside and ocean view categories are sold out so I guess those that booked earlier will be getting upgrades.

We are July 5th and still no cabin? :(

We have been upgraded at the pier. They may have done the paper work before that but we were not informed until we got to the pier.

When this happens some just don't see it because they don't log shortly before the cruise, when in fact it shows the changes on the baggage tags and travel summary section.

The list is actually finalized at least 24 hours before sailing.

If you want to call it an upgrade at the pier thats your perogative, but it was really done beforehand.

We have found other passenger names on our cabin door several times before.

Had nothing to do with an upgrade.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Sailing Saturday on the CB, no cabin assignment yet. Checking the Personalizer often, no.... very often. We usually do book a guarantee to take advantage of the great offers, but we never got an assignment this late.

The worst that could happen is we get the category we booked, so we hope for the best.

24 Princess cruises for us, and all the past 20 or so we have booked an inside guarantee (window or balcony not worth the extra cost to us), and have always been upgraded to a higher category inside (usually more popular location on ship). If the obstructed outside is less than $20 per day than an inside (sometimes) we will book outside guarantee instead. From that, we have been upgraded to an outside non-obstructed and (once) to a balcony. We were the last ones to board once (late to pier) and they upgraded us at the pier because, I think, some passengers had cancelled at the last minute or were no shows, but that was maybe 10 years ago. What is more likely these days is that you will be offered an upgrade if you pay something extra. We are not the picky type, so we are happy with any cabin we get in any location on the ship and would rather get an "upgrade" than be locked into a certain cabin. By the way, from what I have heard, the upgrade fairy visits people no matter what their loyalty status nor how early they had booked. Seems to be no way to increase your upgrade-ability short of being related to the person who gives out upgrades. Just our experience and talking with others.

Sailing Saturday on the CB, no cabin assignment yet. Checking the Personalizer often, no.... very often. We usually do book a guarantee to take advantage of the great offers, but we never got an assignment this late.

The worst that could happen is we get the category we booked, so we hope for the best.

I usually book an interior guarantee and usually get 'upgraded' (same cabin, more central location) the one time I didn't get an assignment until 4 days before sailing, i got the category I'd booked. fingers crossed for you!

Thanks for all the well wishes. We are platinum but we have always booked a GTY Balcony in the past and just as you said, have always been upgraded in that same type but in a better category.

It is all good and any day at sea is a happy day for me. Just thinking if I could live with an inside cabin I might be able to do a few more each year.

Thanks for all the well wishes. We are platinum but we have always booked a GTY Balcony in the past and just as you said, have always been upgraded in that same type but in a better category.

It is all good and any day at sea is a happy day for me. Just thinking if I could live with an inside cabin I might be able to do a few more each year.

An obstructed OV is not much more expensive than an inside.

I keep threatening DH with an inside cabin. It's been a few years since we had one. He always says he'll pay the difference to upgrade us to at least an obstructed view (but never does). Our upcoming cruise will be in a balcony cabin but only because I waited long enough for the price of those to come down to less than inside cabins were originally.

Well, don't get me wrong.....we love a balcony but this is my 3rd cruise this year. I am booked in a Balcony on a TA in October. Don't think I could do 15 days with no daylight.

We are going to try it. We always booked a balcony so DH could enjoy an after dinner cigar in the evenings but since that is no longer possible. We will give an inside a try.

I agree the OV isn't typically that much more but we booked this last minute, two weeks ago and the way the price was structured and with FCCs it was VERY affordable. I'll let you all know what we end up with. Happy to be sailing.

UPDATE So yesterday at 4 days til sailing we received our cabin assignment. We booked lowest caregory inside gty and received a mid grade inside. I was perfectly happy with the cabin we got.

Then today, I went on the Personalizer and we were upgraded to OV midship cat. OV right at the Panoramic elevators. Couldn't be happier. We took a chance and this time it really worked out.