Captain's Club Bonus Points!

JonnyCT81

[quote name='hcat']Great for Zenith members but everyone deserves good service even if not yet elevated to ultimate perks level !

bonus points for bookings means program is no longer just about loyalty..[/QUOTE]

Agree with you about everyone deserving the highest level of service possible. The reality is that staff limitations make highly individualized attention for all impossible. They've appeared to target high Suites and Zenith level members for special attention. Purely a business decision. I made the same point about "loyalty" when the new program was revealed. The "loyalty" program is really a "marketing" program. That's one reason they should create a new level at about 1500 points. Edited by Orator

I’ve read over and over on here, when someone brings up an issue, that rules are rules. But now some want to circumvent these rules depending on how loyal of a customer they think they are or how many years they have been cruising with Celebrity. I think Celebrity should treat all customers with the same professionalism and consideration, because after all, the new cruiser of today, will be that 10, 20 or 30 year cruiser down the line. If a promotion does not apply, why should it apply because someone has cruised with Celebrity for years? I guess I don’t understand the double standard.

I've said this before, and I still believe it's true. The cruise industry is an anomaly. NEW customers generate more revenue than prior, loyal customers. Every mass market cruise line wants and needs NEW customers, and those are the customers they are marketing to.

And making that Zenith level so high that it is nearly unattainable is another example that proves that theory.

I think Celebrity is inconsistent in complying with their promotions. Several cruisers have reported their problems when they booked and paid for a correct qualifying bonus point promotion and had trouble getting their points added.

I was glad to see the official Celebrity Cruise poster help someone out on the boards this past week with their issue.

There is no double standard. I wanted to know what the price for a previously booked, fully paid for no discounted full fare sailing without any 123 promo attached to the booking would cost to rebook to get the bonus points. We then could have made a decision about whether we would pay an additional amount to get the new promotion. Celebrity would not quote it as the suite category is sold out.
When they would not quote it, out TA asked about a courtesy comp of the points. Celebrity said no, and that was the end of it.
As to our other cruises that are more than 9 months away, we rebooked some to take advantage of the promotion and some we did not.

Our family really likes the Celebrity product once onboard and we love to cruise.

I still think that the interface precruise could be improved. Every cruiser should have a good experience and I agree that it should all be applied consistently.

Heck, I would not be surprised if the cruise lines in the future did not sell points in their loyalty programs like the airlines and hotels do to get to their next level of membership or perk level.

I hope everyone has a vey pleasant weekend.

Celebrity is the perfect fit for us and we love the sky suites. We are at 1200 points and will be at 1500 by next year. Zenith at 3000 points is so far away that we would not even try. If they had another level after Elite Plus that would be more incentive for us.

[quote name='NLH Arizona']I’ve read over and over on here, when someone brings up an issue, that rules are rules. But now some want to circumvent these rules depending on how loyal of a customer they think they are or how many years they have been cruising with Celebrity. I think Celebrity should treat all customers with the same professionalism and consideration, because after all, the new cruiser of today, will be that 10, 20 or 30 year cruiser down the line. If a promotion does not apply, why should it apply because someone has cruised with Celebrity for years? I guess I don’t understand the double standard.[/QUOTE]

You bring up some very valid points. Everyone wants to feel "special". Some more so than others. It's just the way of the world.

When the cry was "too many Elites", Celebrity created new tiers. Now, everyone wants to be Zenith or some imaginary tier in between Elite+ and Zenith. In the end, Celebrity cannot please everyone. Their promotions are what they are. Everyone knows the "rules". To feel one should be an exception to the rule because they are so loyal is just wrong.

Personally, I try to take advantage of the promotions as often as I can. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think they have way too many promotions that do nothing but confuse people. Some of the non-combinable restrictions make sense, others do not. Their current method of pricing on their awful website is extremely frustrating. Misinformation runs rampant on these boards due to X's less than clear "fine print" on many of the promos. Exceptions appear to be made to even further confuse people.

I am loyal to Celebrity because I appreciate how they treat me once I am on board one of their ships. Their ship employees are excellent. Do I agree with everything Miami does? Absolutely not. But I know, going in, what is available to me, and make my choices accordingly.

I read so often about posters saying they are going to "jump ship" and find a new cruise line. I often just smile at the purpose of announcing it to the "world". If that is one's choice, just do it. (Although I find most do not follow through because they enjoy the perks too much.):) Celebrity is not going out of business and will find new customers to replace those who are so unhappy.

[quote name='gimletgal']You bring up some very valid points. Everyone wants to feel "special". Some more so than others. It's just the way of the world.

When the cry was "too many Elites", Celebrity created new tiers. Now, everyone wants to be Zenith or some imaginary tier in between Elite+ and Zenith. In the end, Celebrity cannot please everyone. Their promotions are what they are. Everyone knows the "rules". To feel one should be an exception to the rule because they are so loyal is just wrong.

Personally, I try to take advantage of the promotions as often as I can. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think they have way too many promotions that do nothing but confuse people. Some of the non-combinable restrictions make sense, others do not. Their current method of pricing on their awful website is extremely frustrating. Misinformation runs rampant on these boards due to X's less than clear "fine print" on many of the promos. Exceptions appear to be made to even further confuse people.

I am loyal to Celebrity because I appreciate how they treat me once I am on board one of their ships. Their ship employees are excellent. Do I agree with everything Miami does? Absolutely not. But I know, going in, what is available to me, and make my choices accordingly.

I read so often about posters saying they are going to "jump ship" and find a new cruise line. I often just smile at the purpose of announcing it to the "world". If that is one's choice, just do it. (Although I find most do not follow through because they enjoy the perks too much.):) Celebrity is not going out of business and will find new customers to replace those who are so unhappy.[/quote]
I like you, cruise with Celebrity because of the onboard experience. I enjoy the perks I get, am excited for the perks that others get at a higher tier and the promotions I'm able to book (I now have three cruises booked with Celebrity, some with promotions and some not), but in no way think that Celebrity should break or bend the rules for me. If they bend the rules for one, where does it stop...it doesn't, they then have to bend the rules for everyone. I often wonder why some feel that they are so special that the rules don't apply to them, but should apply to others....I guess it is just human nature.

Also agree with you about those that say they are going to "jump ship" or call another cruise line, I think that is just their way of trying to get Celebrity to bend to them. I said this when the Captain's Club changes happened, Celebrity probably knew how many, if any, would leave because of the changes and they also knew that there were just as many new cruisers in line to take their place. Edited by NLH Arizona

We cruise for the overall Celeb experience, which has been positive, not for the perks altho laundry, internet etc are nice... but we think the overall customer service approach is not what is used to be in past years...at least they are doing what they can to pamper suite guests and those in Zenith...an almost unreachable tier for us....

on our Summit cruise to Bermuda shortly before the refurb, our Cap Club hostess doled out all sorts of little perks and events for the Diamonds but left out the Elites who were already loyal to the brand . it was a very obvious attempt to get the Diamonds to come over to X...so it seems it is really all about marketing, That's just reality ....

I think the recent rules problem is that there are so many offers and rules it is confusing and too changeable for consumers...so if one misses out by a day or a technicality, they feel annoyed...right now Celebrity reminds me of stores that have too many sales...but even many of those have a 30 match policy

Right now there is now a weekend only offer but we are happy to be stcking with what we have...too exhausting to keep looking each time they post an offer or new perk. Edited by hcat

[quote name='need2bespoiled']If the points are connected to a promo, I can understand X not giving the points seperatly then the promo. I book (a lot) of hotel room, more than 150/year for me personally, and another 150+ for staff. Many times there are prices with bonus loyalty points. Sometimes they're the same price, sometimes more. Why should I get the bonus points when they're not for the room or rate I booked? Additionally, if I book a hotel room, but later they offer the same room at a higher or different price, why should I get the bonus points even if I call and ask for them? I can certainly change my reservation to the new rate and get the points, OR I can keep my rate. If the room rate is now lower, great, I'll take it, if it is more, no thanks. Seems Celebrity's policy matched what other segments of the travel industry is doing?
[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. I missed out the last bonus points promotion, because I couldn't rebook the existing cruises I had under it. However, it's just the same as combining any other promotion; sometimes you can and sometimes you can't. As much as it would be great from a customer perspective, you can't expect to stack promotions endlessly, and it's about new bookings.

The fact you can rebook existing ones at the same price is an extra bonus, but it makes sense that you can't apply a new promotion for new bookings only to an old price. If the new offer works out better, switch. If it doesn't, stay.

[quote name='jelayne']Saw that in the initial announcement and got the bonus points added to 4 bookings! Doubt I will ever make Zenith but will be Elite plus next fall. Yippee-more Internet minutes��[/quote]

How many bonus points do you need to reach Elite Plus beyond Elite ?
Good luck, Cary:)

The clear INTENT of the bonus point program is to entice NEW bookings and passengers to fill ships. It is NOT to be a thoughtful company and dole out gifts to its passengers, "loyal" or not. In fact the "loyal" passengers should just be sailing for the sake of sailing, not in seeking higher levels in a loyalty program. "Loyalty" is a 2 way-street. Taking the good with the bad, the Yes with the No. Those seeking Zenith level should be doing so by booking more cruises, not trying to take advantage of bonus point schemes, although there is nothing wrong with using the bonus point schemes, WHEN THEY APPLY.

I agree with another poster, the "Loyalty" program is in fact a "Marketing" program. Always was, just now it's more obvious. Ships are full, they don't need loyal passengers, they now need higher spending, less demanding passengers to drive revenues and profits. And new ones to take the place of the ones literally dying off over time.

This is the primary reason people with existing bookings have such a hard time getting the bonus points added in, and why people find they have to pay a higher rate now to get the points added, or why if a category is already full they can't get an answer as to what the fare is if they cancel and rebook.

Sure it's nice for those who CAN get the bonus points added in to their folio of perks after that have already booked, and that's part of what's great about forums like these, to get some inside line into bonus schemes and such like that, and I'm happy to take full advantage of these backdoor schemes myself when they work.

But on he other side, I'm not going to get all out of joint if they tell me "no it doesn't apply to you" if I ask to have it applied to a booking I already had in place. If I cancel and rebook and take whatever cabin or prevailing fare I get assigned to and then get the points that's how this is SUPPOSED to work, but adding points to existing, perhaps already discounted reservations, is NOT how it's supposed to work, people who get that kind of luck are simply getting lucky and perhaps may find themselves dissatisfied once they sail to find out the bonus points DON'T apply when they never post to their accounts.

The pertinent parts of the promotion rules that probably put most people out of qualifying are highlighted here:

[INDENT][I]booking at the [B][COLOR="Red"]non-discounted standard cruise fare[/COLOR][/B]. Offer [B][COLOR="red"]cannot be combined with any other offer, promotion or price program[/COLOR][/B]. Offer is applicable to [B][COLOR="red"]new individual bookings[/COLOR][/B] and to staterooms in non-contracted group bookings[/I][/INDENT]

In essence it means you must book the full rack rate and no discounted rate (disqualifies many captains club members who may have booked cruises during their first few weeks when new cruise season sailings went on sale, or during that 10/15% captains club discount period for sample) , you can't combine it with other offers, and can not be applied to existing bookings. Edited by cle-guy

[quote name='Host Andy']Hi Cruiseaholic,

That's what I was told too. If I wanted the 25 bonus points, I had to reprice our cruises. I understand the logic of repricing for promos such as 123 GO, but not for a non-monetary item such as a 25 point bonus. IMO, it's marketing baloney. Once again, it's nonsense like this, that makes us feel that our loyalty is not appreciated by Celebrity.

We also just received a "welcome home" offer (from a cruise taken 2 months ago !), offering an OBC for our next cruise. Guess what ? You must reprice for that promotion too.

All of these offers are like having a carrot dangled in front of you, only to wind up wasting your time on hold, and getting nothing. It's at the point, where it seems a waste of time to even inquire about such promotions, for exisiting bookings. No wonder hold times are out of control.

I'm very disappointed that Celebrity is making guests jump through hoops... for very little, and only to be disappointed. Seems disengenuous to me.[/QUOTE]

Hi Andy,
My TA is also frustrated with Celebrity and the way it treats the loyal guests. She has been in this business for 25 plus years and has witnessed a decline in customer service.

While one poster said that Celebrity would rather attract new busy vs. keeping existing business, that isn't the way it is typically in sales. The cost of attracting new business is typically significant more (less profits) then retention. In addition, my DH and I recommended Celebrity to two "new" Celebrity clients who booked because of our recommendation. So an added bonus of keeping devoted clients happy is that they bring new business.

We follow the rules- and I wish Celebrity would be more consistent.

[quote name='Cruise a holic']Hi Andy,

[SNIP]

[B]We follow the rules[/B]- and I wish Celebrity would be more consistent.[/QUOTE]

And in this case,[B] following the rules[/B] means canceling and losing existing perks, discounts and bonuses and rebooking under current fares and promotions and rules without discounts.

It's this part of the promotion many seem to be missing.

Celebrity SHOULD be more consistent, and DISALLOW the changing of existing reservations as some have experience, but are not ENTITLED to. Sometimes it's their going awry of stated policies and rules that then leads others to believe it's the norm and therefore an entitlement that gets them in trouble.

I'm having a similar issue in one of my stores now, a manager regularly lets customer make exchanges and returns outside our policy of ALL SALES FINAL, NO EXCHANGES OR REFUNDS. Then the customer comes in when Manager is not there and gets told by regular staff "no, that's the policy - no refunds or exchanges" then customer says, "But the other guy let me do it..."

[quote name='Cruise a holic']Hi Andy,
My TA is also frustrated with Celebrity and the way it treats the loyal guests. She has been in this business for 25 plus years and has witnessed a decline in customer service.

While one poster said that Celebrity would rather attract new busy vs. keeping existing business, that isn't the way it is typically in sales. The cost of attracting new business is typically significant more (less profits) then retention. In addition, my DH and I recommended Celebrity to two "new" Celebrity clients who booked because of our recommendation. So an added bonus of keeping devoted clients happy is that they bring new business.[/QUOTE]

This is what I said. The cruise industry (at this point in time) is NOT typical. And it's not just Celebrity.

[quote name='jkgourmet']I've said this before, and I still believe it's true. The cruise industry is an anomaly. NEW customers generate more revenue than prior, loyal customers. Every mass market cruise line wants and needs NEW customers, and those are the customers they are marketing to.

And making that Zenith level so high that it is nearly unattainable is another example that proves that theory.[/QUOTE] Edited by jkgourmet

I have a thought about the subject of giving loyal customers an advantage in some promotions. Celebrity could make this one of the perks for the Zenith tier, that way they will be giving their most loyal customers a break. Just a thought.

[quote name='NLH Arizona']I have a thought about the subject of giving loyal customers an advantage in some promotions. Celebrity could make this one of the perks for the Zenith tier, that way they will be giving their most loyal customers a break. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good idea, but once they get the 3k point and Zenith, they don't need them anymore :-)

Maybe at that tier, allow them to "gift" their additional earned points and bonus points to another, like a child, friend, relative, mother, etc. That would be useful I think.

[quote name='cle-guy']Sounds like a good idea, but once they get the 3k point and Zenith, they don't need them anymore :-)

Maybe at that tier, allow them to "gift" their additional earned points and bonus points to another, like a child, friend, relative, mother, etc. That would be useful I think.[/QUOTE]

I've seen gifting miles and points for use to get stays and flights, etc, but never towards status. Have you?

These points are only for status, until Zenith when you get a free cruise (every 3k). I'm not turning down a free cruises if I ever get there (and I should as long as I keep cruising the way we do now), and with the Zenith benefits, any cabin would be pretty nice. I do however think that it should be more the way Oceania does it, where you're booked for your free cruise in a comparable cabin to the level you most often booked to get there.

Happy sailing,
Jenna

[quote name='cle-guy']Sounds like a good idea, but once they get the 3k point and Zenith, they don't need them anymore :-)

Maybe at that tier, allow them to "gift" their additional earned points and bonus points to another, like a child, friend, relative, mother, etc. That would be useful I think.[/QUOTE]

The Zenith benefits are wonderful as is. There are even "unadvertised benefits" like not paying the usual 5% Casino charge for cashing out OBC and a personal Executive Concierge at Celebrity who handles any special request. I would like them to allow Zenith members to dine in the new Suite restaurant on the same bases as Suite passengers can dine in Blu. This would be nice, but really would not influence choice of cruise line.
Points for Zenith relevant if you are in the hunt to be "top cruiser" or nearing the 6000 point level where you earn an additional free cruise. I believe that points should be earned, not gifted.
My quibble has been that on occasion Celebrity has not fully honored their actual or implied contract with customers. This appears to be one of the problems that some are reporting in the bonus point discussion. One of my core beliefs is that one should honor their word and/or the words of their official representatives.

Maybe at that tier, allow them to "gift" their additional earned points and bonus points to another, like a child, friend, relative, mother, etc. That would be useful I think.[/quote]
Good thought. Like Delta, where I can give some of my points to family or friend.

[quote name='NLH Arizona']Good thought. Like Delta, where I can give some of my points to family or friend.[/QUOTE]

You can get them towards to the towards a flight, but not towards making an elite level.

Happy sailing,
Jenna

[quote name='Orator']
Points for Zenith relevant if you are in the hunt to be "top cruiser" or nearing the 6000 point level where you earn an additional free cruise. I believe that points should be earned, not gifted.
My quibble has been that on occasion Celebrity has not fully honored their actual or implied contract with customers. This appears to be one of the problems that some are reporting in the bonus point discussion. One of my core beliefs is that one should honor their word and/or the words of their official representatives.[/QUOTE]

OHHH I had forgotten the free cruise every 3000 points. But reality is there are probably like 4 people in the world who will do that! They'd probably be far happier assigning points as they wish to companions so they could begin to enjoy the tier benefits. Just a wish, doubt it will happen,and something I don't see being an issue for myself for a few more decades anyway. :-)

Cruise points are different than Airline points are different than Hotel points, each has uniqueness to the industry. Airlines (well most used to) give points on miles flown (now many going to points per dollar spent relative to loyalty level) relative to class of service and loyalty level, hotels on dollars spent, and loyalty level, rental cars on days rented. X now give points on days sailed relative to cabin type paid, a mix of the hotel/rental car programs. Makes more sense than on miles sailed for example, and certainly FAR more sense than just a point for any sailing as it was a year ago!

I agree about suite dining room as well being opened to Zeniths. I have no problem giving Zenith's the world actually, they have certainly paid for the privileges, far more than the rest of us. They should get upgraded to the best cabin open I say 7 days prior to sailing even. They should get limo from airport or hotel to port without asking. They should get free shore excursions at that point too.

But until one reaches that level, I think the perks in place are good as is, and no rules need "bent" for us. And sometimes people "speak" (post in a forum) without full knowledge of policy, and one always has to revert back to the "written"policy rather than "heresay" and verbal commitments when there is a discrepancy. Also sometimes we "hear" and "remember" things slightly differently than they are in reality (remember playing the telephone game in grade school?), or we fail to give 100% of the necessary facts and particulars of a booking when requesting adjustments, like perhaps forgetting to mention we got a discount fare when begging for the bonus points as but one example.

Any "implied contract" should be trumped by a written contract and rules if a written policy is in fact in place. Lacking any formal written policy on a point, then an implied contract may come into play. Simple beginner contract law really, any modifications to a written contract must be done in the same formality as the original agreement, in writing. Verbal commitments do not count if there is a written agreement in place. Had this drilled into my head by a Business Law teacher in High school, and most recently by Judge Judy. :D

In the event a company employee gave misinformation, the companay needs to perhaps explain the problem to the customer apologize, and discipline the employee and provide better training and eventually terminate the employee if they continue to go outside of written policy, as it does in fact confuse the customers to the detriment of the company, as we see in many posts and threads in these forums. Edited by cle-guy

[quote name='Celebrity Cruises']Hi all,

Thank you for sharing! Yes, you have until July 31 for this offer.

Full T&C's: Captain's Club Member Offers apply to new individual and named group bookings made June 2-July 31, 2014. Classic Captain's Club Members and above ("CC Members") are eligible to receive 25 bonus Club Points on bookings made at least 9 months prior to the departure date of cruise for ocean view and verandas; and receive 50 bonus Club Points for suites that are booked at least 9 months prior to the departure date of the cruise. Bonus Club points will be added within 14 days after conclusion of sailing. CC Members are also eligible for a 50% Reduced Deposit Offer on individual bookings made more than 70 days from departure date. Reduced deposit must be paid by 7/31/14 or deposit payment required due date. To redeem using celebrity.com, proceed to the Payment page, select "Other" in the deposit field and enter 50% off the deposit amount. Valid membership number must be provided at time of booking; new members may book onboard without a membership number but must provide the membership number by Aug. 10, 2014.[/QUOTE]

Hi all,

Apologies for not including originally, but the offer for reduced deposits is not eligible for the UK. Thanks!

[quote name='Celebrity Cruises']Hi all,

Apologies for not including originally, but the offer for reduced deposits is not eligible for the UK. Thanks![/QUOTE]

So is it safe to assume from this post that that the extra Captain's Club points are available to UK residents for qualifying bookings?
Thank you

"The rich get richer and the poor get poorer" After reading this entire thread it is evident that the higher you get, the more you think you are entitled to. A cabin sold is a cabin sold. Why would Celeb. discount it to a loyalty member?