Train to FCO

hbrote

Just thought I would pose a question concerning arrival at the train station at the airport. We are planning to arrive from Florence at 9:30 AM and would like to know if we have enough time to make an 11:50AM flight to the US. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Probably not. The only possibility would be if your flight is on Alitalia, which does not use the high security terminal 5. All other direct flights to the US require three hours prior to departure time; if you're coming by train you need to add some more time to wait for the shuttle bus from T3 to take you to T5.

Just thought I would pose a question concerning arrival at the train station at the airport. We are planning to arrive from Florence at 9:30 AM and would like to know if we have enough time to make an 11:50AM flight to the US. Does anyone know if this is possible?

I'm not exactly sure I'm following what you are planning.

Do you arrive at FCO at 9:30? And what is the process by which you are arriving there from Florence?

Under good circumstances -- and assuming you do arrive AT the airport at 9:30, I'd say it is possible but not comfortable. (Most of us would recommend arriving 3 hours ahead of your flight at FCO if you are flying to the US, but 2.5 hours is usually sufficient.)

If you are not actually going to be AT the airport at 9:30, you do not have enough time.

Thanks to all of you for your reply's. We are planning on taking the Train from Florence and changing to the express train to the airport. The earliest we could get to the airport via train is 9:30AM. I thought this might be pushing it and looks like we will need a hotel for the evening prior. Can anyone suggest a location to stay the night prior to departure? Again thank you all for the responses.

If you want to stay out at FCO, I'll recommend the Hilton at the airport. Decent business-class hotel. Nice breakfast setup (you pay for it, but it will get you satisfied for your flight). You walk to it from the train station (through a parking structure). You can walk to the terminals or there is a shuttle that will take you there.

Many here will recommend you stay in Rome for that night. It's up to you. You can always go into Rome for the evening and come back to the hotel...

We agree with Slidergirl about using the Hilton. It is really comforting to know that you can simply walk from your hotel to the airport, although you would still need to use an airport shuttle bus to get you over to Terminal 5 (this is where they do the check-in for the US airlines) unless you are using a European airline that does not use that Terminal 5 check-in procedure. If you find the Hilton a bit too pricy for your budget/taste there are now some other airport hotels although you would need to use their shuttle buses to get to the airport.

Hank

Thanks to everyone for their direction. I just finished booking the Hilton through the honors site. I also got to finalize our flight plans and now all left is a hotel in Florence. Thank you all again !!!

Edited by hbrote

Thanks to everyone for their direction. I just finished booking the Hilton through the honors site. I also got to finalize our flight plans and now all left is a hotel in Florence. Thank you all again !!!

If you are okay with a hotel that doesn't offer a ton of services, check out Casa Howard! Very close to the train station and real kick--we stayed in the black and white room. . .

I did a stay last year at the Westin Excelsior. A wonderful hotel! Right on the Arno River and just across a bridge from what I think is the best gelato shop in Florence. The rooftop bar late at night is a perfect place to relax, get a drink, and look at the lights of Florence.

My flight leave at 650am back to state , it is lufthansa airline stop over germany. I find all hotel close to airport do not have shuttle early than 530. If I stay in rome and use taxi service, do I have enough time or it is best to stay at hotel like Hilton. What terminal use for other Europe country ?I have 2 days post cruise, so I want to make use the remainder days in roman or around area. Thank you.

My flight leave at 650am back to state , it is lufthansa airline stop over germany. I find all hotel close to airport do not have shuttle early than 530. If I stay in rome and use taxi service, do I have enough time or it is best to stay at hotel like Hilton. What terminal use for other Europe country ?I have 2 days post cruise, so I want to make use the remainder days in roman or around area. Thank you.

Your hotel can arrange for a taxi pickup, it will cost a little more than the standard rate due to the early pickup. Since you are going to Germany first rather than US, you don't need to be there 3 hours in advance (you don't have to go through the additional security), but I'd definitely want to be there 2 hours ahead of your flight. At that time of day traffic won't be a problem.

Or you can also book through one of the private services recommended here frequently. I've never used one, taxis have worked fine for me.