Helicopter Medivac Video - Crown Princess June 12, 2014

Cruiser_RedHead

Aside from the medical aspect it looked fun.

The CG makes it look easy because they are very good at it. In reality even a routine medevac like this is quite dangerous. There are a hundred different things that could go wrong, from a problem with the winch to a sudden wind gust.

Awesome video!! Even accounting for the fact that conditions looked to be ideal for flight operations, the Coast Guard made it look easy, no doubt about the fact that they are total pros. Hope the crew member was okay.

I was on the same cruise and must have been standing right beside your husband in the Skywalkers Lounge. I took the exact same pictures and thought someone might be posting here.

Didn't know it was a crew member. At the Captain's circle party the Capt. Mentioned the individual was OK.

That light beside the helicopter is a reflection of the pot light in the ceiling.

BTW there's a picture of the most travelled passenger on that cruise. We were the 3rd most travelled.

Edited by cdnguy

yes try telling that to a lady on a cruise last year who was truly ticked off because she had to leave her cabin while the evacuation was taking place I would not have been very polite to her if I had heard the comment she complained bitterly to all around her my husband heard it

yes try telling that to a lady on a cruise last year who was truly ticked off because she had to leave her cabin while the evacuation was taking place I would not have been very polite to her if I had heard the comment she complained bitterly to all around her my husband heard it

It amazes me when hearing so many say they go on their balcony or other restricted areas to watch a medevac operation. I never did a medevac from a ship but having a career flying helicopters know that it's important to follow instructions for the safety of the operation.

I enjoyed viewing the USCG's operation & the OP filmed from a safe location but many other passengers ignore instructions which could endanger a medevac operation. :mad:

I am just off the Star and the entire cruise I kept trying to figure out where they would land a helicopter for a med-a-vac. Well this answered my question and from the video it looks like they dropped the hoist on the platform on the bow above the bridge outside of the fitness center windows on the sports deck. We found this on our last day but the most forward area was closed off. Now I know what is used for.

Thanks for sharing the video.

I am just off the Star and the entire cruise I kept trying to figure out where they would land a helicopter for a med-a-vac. Well this answered my question and from the video it looks like they dropped the hoist on the platform on the bow above the bridge outside of the fitness center windows on the sports deck. We found this on our last day but the most forward area was closed off. Now I know what is used for.

Some cruise lines have a helipad on the bow of the ship but in many situations it's safer to hover & lower a crewmember onto the ship to attach the victim & to hoist them onto the helicopter to medevac a patient.

Edited by Astro Flyer