Prepaid gratuities

Wavelet

I know that gratuities are automatically added to your account on a daily basis. I have read several posts about people removing these toward the end of their cruise and choose to tip individuals independently. My question is why? It's my understanding that a lot of behind-the-scenes people share in the auto-tip. I'm not complaining, just curious. Is it better to tip at the end? We weren't planning on removing the auto-tip, but more seasoned cruisers may have a different perspective.

On Princess, removing the auto-tip in favor of tipping individuals with cash makes no sense.

Excluding the room service delivery person, all cash tips given to an individual crew member are turned in to management.

If management determines the cash tipping passenger left auto-tip in place, the individual cash tip is given back to the crew member. If the cash tipping passenger had removed auto-tip, the individual cash tip becomes part of the "tip pool".

A crew member that receives a cash tip will ask the cabin number of the tipping passenger so management can verify the status of the auto-tip program for that cabin.

I personally think the cruise line should drop the use of the term(s) tip, gratuity, service charge, etc. in favor of what it is: supplemental wage charge.

There are a couple countries where "tipping" is not part of the national culture. Cruises sold in those countries bundle the auto-tip charges into the basic price of the cruise.

On Princess, removing the auto-tip in favor of tipping individuals with cash makes no sense.

Excluding the room service delivery person, all cash tips given to an individual crew member are turned in to management.

If management determines the cash tipping passenger left auto-tip in place, the individual cash tip is given back to the crew member. If the cash tipping passenger had removed auto-tip, the individual cash tip becomes part of the "tip pool".

A crew member that receives a cash tip will ask the cabin number of the tipping passenger so management can verify the status of the auto-tip program for that cabin.

I personally think the cruise line should drop the use of the term(s) tip, gratuity, service charge, etc. in favor of what it is: supplemental wage charge.

There are a couple countries where "tipping" is not part of the national culture. Cruises sold in those countries bundle the auto-tip charges into the basic price of the cruise.

Thank you. We will leave the auto-tip in place and tip individuals extra for outstanding service.

Thank you. We will leave the auto-tip in place and tip individuals extra for outstanding service.

Wise decision..............there's so many crew members that support your cruise experience that you never see and the auto-tip hopefully covers their efforts. Yes, do look for those that go above and beyond to make your cruise enjoyable and tip them personally.

There are a couple countries where "tipping" is not part of the national culture.

Amusingly, in some of those countries, a 'service charge', particularly

for hotels is very common.

It all depends on the wording.

That's why princess says "we're giving you a complementary upgrade",

and not "we're moving you four cabins down the hall across some

mythical category boundary".

I know that gratuities are automatically added to your account on a daily basis. I have read several posts about people removing these toward the end of their cruise and choose to tip individuals independently. My question is why? It's my understanding that a lot of behind-the-scenes people share in the auto-tip. I'm not complaining, just curious. Is it better to tip at the end? We weren't planning on removing the auto-tip, but more seasoned cruisers may have a different perspective.

There are as many reasons as there are people. If someone does not use the MDR they may want to tip as they go in the buffet or if they use only specialty restaurants the tip was in the up charge. maybe they didn't like the service of one person and wanted to eliminate them from his tips. Maybe they didn't want to tip $12 per day and wanted to adjust the amounts. There are so many reasons it's hard to pin down why. It is suggested and not mandatory so people can use their own discretion.

Edited by cruzsnooze

I agree, well said.

I was always a fan of the "cash tip" at the end of the cruise, but the auto-tip thing really makes it easy...no scrambling for the right denomination bills, no math skills needed!...and if you don't happen to physically see those who have served you all week, they still get their tips! It's a total no-brainer to let the cruiseline handle it for you!

I don't have a problem with the auto tip. I don't tip much other than that (well, I do tip the steward...) and the auto tip makes it very easy for me to not feel like a schmuck. I get to tip without the hassle of deciding who to tip, how much to tip, and without having to track down the people I want to tip. I tip the steward on the last morning. If there is an exceptional person who waits on us in MDR regularly I may tip them the last evening but I feel good knowing the auto tip is in place so I know I am "taking care of" staff even if I don't get it together to do any other tipping.

I don't know this but I would guess that the folks who seem to cruise almost constantly don't hand out tips right and left but do leave the auto tip in place.

There are as many reasons as there are people. If someone does not use the MDR they may want to tip as they go in the buffet.

First of all, the auto-tip is shared, among others, those in the buffet area. And those in the buffet area often include waitstaff from the main dining rooms at hours they are not needed in the dining rooms.

Second, I cannot imaging anyone passing out tips as they go to the buffet to:

a) the person who prepares their omelet or carves a slice of a roast

b) the person who toasts their bread

c) the person who assists them in locating a table to eat at

d) each server that brings coffee, juice, etc to the table

e) the person that clears their table

f) and others

All of those people are included in the auto-tip, so if one is going to tip three times a day in the buffet to all who serve him/her there, that is a lot of effort.