Ports of Scandinavia - LIVE from the Voyager 6/28 - 7/27/2014

BTW, I certainly do not agree with the negative observations on another thread regarding St. P., as we found the city to be quite delightful, and, indeed, worthy of another visit sometime. Perhaps the fact that I speak Russian and that we had private visas made it less oppressive than some found it. In any event, St. P. is, and should remain, the highlight of most Baltic cruises.

Cheers, Fred

Probably I would like St. Petersburg better if I spoke Russian and had a visa too. But having been there twice, both times for 3 days, I just have no desire to return. Perhaps it would have helped if the customs ladies didn't growl at me.

When we last were in St. Petersburg, we had a private guide for 3 days. She was delightful. We were so involved with the history of Russia (Catherine's Place, etc.) that we misser the Hermitage. This time we will be doing the private "Gold Room" at the Hermitage.

I misspoke about the Cruise Director..... his name is "JR". Have not met him yet. The Captain is Daniel Green. We seem to have very strong, capable officers running the ship.

Dinner at Prime 7 was extraordinary. They changed their menu around a bit and we were quite impressed. Sailing out of Stockholm was amazing.

Now it is time to get some shut-eye. Although only 9:30 p.m. we are jeglagged and clocks are going ahead one hour so it's really 10:30 p.m. Tomorrow is Tallen where passengers in 20 cabins hope to meet up with their luggage.

Edited by Travelcat2

Good luck in getting your luggage tomorrow....

Have to agree about the sailing out of Stockholm thru the Archipelago or a they Fjords? Anyway a real highlight, so beautiful. We had sailboats sailing along side the Voyager.

Yes it was breathtaking!

Looking forward traveling along :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A reminder to all to stock your carry-on with survival stuff (meds, change of clothes, etc.) in case this misfortune befalls you.

I pack mine as if I will never see my checked bags again! Now if only I would really let the checked one go and just do the carry on ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

nana541: The Archipelago is definitely beautiful.

Peggy, destination lecturers have not as yet been listed -- probably because we are in port every day and lectures have not been posted Will certainly post when I learn more information.

Regarding luggage. Agree with suggestions 100%. However, this is our first cruise that is over 18 nights and we could not fit everything into two suitcases. Therefore, we used three large cases and only one carry-on (since we have only two hands each and pull one in each hand at the airport.) There is also the 3 oz. limitation on fluids and now airlines want batteries to be in carry-on luggage. So, we do have vitamins/medications and a few necessary items but a change of clothing was not an option.

Regent has been wonderful for the 20+ cabins that did not receive their luggage. Firstly, little packets of necessities (razor, comb/brush/deodorant, etc.) were delivered to cabins -- one for men -- one for women). We also received a letter that laundry will be done overnight and delivered in the morning at no charge. This is really kind of Regent since they had no responsibility whatsoever for the delay of our luggage.

We just arrived in Tallinn (raining as per weather forecast). Many of us have our fingers crossed that the luggage will be there. Time will tell.

Last night we dined in Prime 7. It was perfection - both service and food (note: we are not Prime 7 lovers). We both had Porterhouse steak. We typically only have Filet Mignon but this steak might have been enough to convert us. Prepared perfectly! This may have been our best Prime 7 experience.

Today is Sunday so we had caviar and champagne for breakfast. We cancelled our Tallinn excursion as we have done it before and will take Regent's shuttle into town -- probably this afternoon when the rain may let up.

Have to comment about children since this is a "children's cruise". Have seen one baby and a couple of young children. This is nothing like our experience on the Voyager during Christmas (thankfully).

Internet....... unfortunately, it is hit and miss. Tallinn is not the best port for internet. Also, depending upon your cabin, you may or may not be able to get internet access. We cannot but are not going to stress about it.

The former Park West space is temporarily a game room. Could not be better!

Edited by Travelcat2

I do not want to make this thread about luggage but must give Regent kudos on how they are handling the situation. The British Airways lost luggage event was huge. We learned today that Regent has hired even more people to find the luggage of their customers. Although the situation is frustrating, we really appreciate what Regent continues to do.

As we will be in Russia for the next three days, luggage cannot be sent to their port. So, our best hope is that it will arrive Lithuania. In the meantime, I have learned how to curl my hair without a curling iron or rollers, etc. I wont' bore you with details:) Tonight is the Captain's Reception and I fortunately look fine from the knees up. Unfortunately, the sandal/flip flops that I wore on the the airplane do not go well with my dress.

In any event, we just added a general type excursion in St. Petersburg for tomorrow -- just so we can get off of the ship. It was raining too hard Since the focus of this thread will be ports, I certainly will post anything of interest that occurs in the next three days.

Staying positive and trying to make lemonade out of dirty clothes;)

Good grief, can't imagine no luggage for so long! I try to put clean shirts and underwear in our carry-on, and cross-pack among the suitcases in case one gets lost, but it's tough.

There was a woman on our TA last November on Riviera who had no luggage for the two week entire trip. I met her in the boutique, looking for clothes. She could not find a bathing suit to fit her, so the hot tub and pool were out for her.

Hope you enjoy Lithuania. I haven't been to Klaipeda, but I loved what I saw of that country, 10 years ago now.

We will file a claim with BA tomorrow (have to wait 3 full days). Purchased Regent jackets at the boutique today as it will be cold and rainy in St. Petersburg (my kind of weather;) Wendy, we did have extra underwear in our carry-on luggage -- just thought that was too much information to post. In addition to the jackets, I purchased navy slacks that will match my Regent jacket but not my black blouse. At this point I don't care what matches what - as long as I have clean clothing.

Have met other really nice people in the same position as we are. Most of us have smiles on our faces (really don't want to meet those that do not). We met "mudhen" tonight -- she and her husband are lovely. And, we had dinner with a couple of officers that didn't even look at my feet (flip flops:-)

I don't typically like to share very personal details about my life (except about my beloved kitties) but do want to share a moment we had this evening as it is something we perhaps should all think about. During the show, tears started streaming down my face for no reason (they were singing the theme from Love Boat). It struck me like a ton of bricks that we are so fortunate to be where we are right now -- on Regent -- together. We had a near death experience 6 months ago (with a very happy ending). So, how dare we be upset about losing luggage or being slightly inconvenienced because we have to wear the same clothes or that my hair isn't curled? When we left the theater I learned that my dear husband also cried -- for the same reason. We are blessed to be here and I am blessed to be married to the most wonderful man in the world.

Life is short -- enjoy it!

Edited by Travelcat2

Re; Dennis & your lost luggage. If you have travel insurance (in addition to what Regent and BA are doing for you) you can file a claim (some plans start their delay coverage @12 hrs, others @ 24 hrs), for lost/delayed luggage when u return home too. Also, some robust Tvl Insurance policies include with their Baggage insurance--lost Baggage Retrieval Assistance service (they contact the airlines on your behalf to help locate/retrieve your lost luggage) while your on vacation.

TC2,

Thank you so much for your posts this cruise. Your positive attitude in spite of losing your luggage is refreshing. Your last post was touching and so true. We are all so lucky and blessed to be able to enjoy luxury travel.

I am not sure why the administrator deleted my thread of "Breath of fresh air". It truly was meant to encourage these type of posts. I applaud and admire your resilience.

Safe travels.

I agree!

And at this point, I too wouldn't be so worried about the "matching", just having clean clothes to wear. You should be able to get reimbursed for the stuff you have had to buy, plus more given the long length of your luggage delay, both by BA, and travel insurance, and whatever credit card company you used to buy your tickets.

On an amusing side, at least you didn't pack a fish. My former business partner packed a fish in dry ice in his suitcase once. He figured it was safe as the flight was direct with no connections. Not so! His suitcase turned up over a week later. This was in August, and we live in Oklahoma where August temps are usually between 100 and 110 F. At that point, he was really sad the airline had found his luggage.

Re; Dennis & your lost luggage. If you have travel insurance (in addition to what Regent and BA are doing for you) you can file a claim (some plans start their delay coverage @12 hrs, others @ 24 hrs), for lost/delayed luggage when u return home too. Also, some robust Tvl Insurance policies include with their Baggage insurance--lost Baggage Retrieval Assistance service (they contact the airlines on your behalf to help locate/retrieve your lost luggage) while your on vacation.

Agree, your credit card insurance should give you $500 or $1000 per person. So go out and pick out some new stuff. It's stressful to lose your luggage, especially on a cruise, but relax and enjoy! After all you are on Regent and they will look after things!

I don't typically like to share very personal details about my life (except about my beloved kitties) but do want to share a moment we had this evening as it is something we perhaps should all think about. During the show, tears started streaming down my face for no reason (they were singing the theme from Love Boat). It struck me like a ton of bricks that we are so fortunate to be where we are right now -- on Regent -- together. We had a near death experience 6 months ago (with a very happy ending). So, how dare we be upset about losing luggage or being slightly inconvenienced because we have to wear the same clothes or that my hair isn't curled? When we left the theater I learned that my dear husband also cried -- for the same reason. We are blessed to be here and I am blessed to be married to the most wonderful man in the world.

Life is short -- enjoy it!

Hi Jackie,

I was amazed when I read this post. You have shown so many people what very few of us know. You are such a kind, loving and emotionally giving individual. Looking forward to your posts from this cruise. Sorry about your luggage, but if anyone can make lemons out of lemonade it is you! Hugs to you both!

Thank you for the kind words and good tips regarding our luggage! We have medical coverage for travel but not other coverage. Wes, or anyone else with Amex platinum, do you know if there is any coverage through them for lost luggage? Just curious.

For anyone visiting St. Petersburg this summer, I would like to share some information from a letter everyone received in their suites regarding arrival in S. Petersburg.

Firstly, Russian immigration officials have a "very strict" policy when it comes to Tour Disembarkation. All passengers leaving the ship must carry their passport, tour ticket and suite key card. "The Russian authorities will conduct a passport check and Immigration Control in the terminal (this can take some time -- please bring a lot of patience along)"

"You will need to present your tour ticket when going ashore - we therefore will not be exchanging tour tickets for a bus assignment inside the Constellation Theater. Instead, you will be assigned a coach on the pier by the Destination Staff.

"Finally, we would ask that throughout the day, you remain open-minded, flexible and patient. In a city the size of St. Petersburg with heavy traffic, anything can happen which might require a change to our proposed program".

We hope to have less of a line to deal with as our tour is this afternoon. Will report on our experience. We are docked at a different location than we were the last time were here.

Edited by Travelcat2

Wes, or anyone else with Amex platinum, do you know if there is any coverage through them for lost luggage? Just curious.

This is from the AmEx Platinum website, Baggage Insurance Plan:

"Travel more comfortably knowing you can be covered by the Baggage Insurance Plan when you purchase the entire fare for a Common Carrier ticket (e.g. plane, train, ship, helicopter, or bus) on an eligible Card. Coverage can be provided for up to $2,000 for checked baggage and up to a combined maximum of $3,000 for checked and carry-on baggage. For New York State residents, there is a $10,000 aggregate maximum limit for all Covered Persons per Covered Trip. Please read important exclusions and restrictions."

It appears that AmEx will pay for lost luggage, not delayed.

Full details of the program: http://www.americanexpress.com/BIPterms or

https://web.aexp-static.com/us/content/pdf/card-benefits/PlatinumCardfromAmericanExpress/BIP-PLAT-DOC.pdf

Re: Amex Platinum - it wouldn't hurt to give them a call on the toll free international number. Our bags were lost on the way to Monaco and they were very generous after 24 hours. I was allowed to purchase all toiletries and there was an allotment for purchasing clothes each day until my luggage arrived. Evidently they do not advertise this, but I do think they still offer it. Good Luck!

A word about travel insurance for luggage. It is important to know if you have primary or secondary coverage. As I found out the hard way, secondary insurance means you first claim it with your homeowners insurance so unless you have a high deductible your homeowners insurance is likely to pay out. Then you file a claim with your credit card and then secondary travel insurance pays out. After learning this I buy only primary insurance coverage. I don't want to put in a claim on my homeowners insurance for luggage.

So sorry to hear about the luggage situation, a good heads up to everyone to put some thought into packing.

I wholeheartedly agree with Ron and Sue about both their points; insuring that your luggage claims are primary with your travel insurance and being thoughtful about packing.

This baggage fiasco is yet another reason we use Luggage Free to send our bags ahead of us. This gives an extra week or so to sort out any problems and it is possible that a luggage service company may have more clout in getting luggage to its destination in case of delays.

We wish we had done many things differently with our luggage. Although we haven't read our mail yet (we were away for several hours), we just heard from another couple that there is some sort of strike at Heathrow and luggage is not going anywhere. Scarey to think about.

Anyway, here is some information on St. Petersburg. First a funny story. As mentioned yesterday, we selected a scenic St. Petersburg excursion -- just to give us time off of the ship. We followed instructions competely -- stayed in the theater until our excursion was called. When we went through immigration, we were directed to a very short line. We presented our tickets to someone from Destination Services -- they told us what bus to get on. We sat near the back exit door -- no problem. However, we were on the wrong bus and were on a different excursion than the one we booked. Okay -- so this is not too funny yet. Being on an excursion that was "full" was actually a plus.

At the end of the visit to a palace (sorry, do not recall the name) there was a canal cruise. We walked a couple of blocks in the rain and went aboard a boat. We were told to have a glass of champagne and some snacks on the bottom deck which we did. About 10 minutes later we were told that we were on the wrong boat. We left our mostly eaten food and what was left of the champagne and walked over to the other boat (where nothing was served). So, we took the wrong excursion and had someone else's champagne and snack. Very strange but we did have a good laugh.

What is less funny is the traffic problem. When we were here in 2006 we docked much closer to town. Now we are docked on an island -- 20 minutes (supposedly) from the city of St. Petersburg. However, due to construction, one of the bridges to the city is closed so it takes 2 - 3 times longer to get into town. Although the excursion was very nice (great tour guides), we are cancelling tomorrow's excursion. For people that have not been to St. Petersburg, it is worth the wait in traffic. For the rest of us, we would rather stay on the ship. The next time we leave the ship will be the day after tomorrow when we see the Gold Room at the Hermitage.

The service and caring from the crew remains excellent -- could not ask for more. The food is also dramatically better than our last cruise (which, for anyone who hasn't read my posts was our worst Regent cruise ever). So, things are good but will be perfect when we receive our luggage.