Shoes for Alaska in the rain - help

I leave for Seattle on Thursday and sail on Saturday. I'm looking at weather underground and showers/rain is forecast for much of the next 10 days in Alaska.

I know this has been discussed before...so sorry to repeat it.

My walking shoes are mostly mesh. There are a few full leather shoes that I could afford and might wear again - New Balance, easy spirit and grasshopper are coming up on Amazon. I know that not everyone invests in expensive waterproof hiking shoes - so I would really appreciate your input.

Only 5 shopping days left!!!

Are you actually going to be hiking in the wilderness? If not, I would get a pair of shoes that are not real pricey but will keep your feet dry.

No hiking - we get rain so seldom in South Texas that I never think about shoes to wear while walking. I don't want to miss anything because of rain or be miserable with cold wet feet. Sounds like a trip to Academy is in order to get a pair that isn't mostly mesh.

Thanks - that is the last thing I need to take care of.

We did do a lot of hiking in Alaska and in Norway (our last cruise). It rained all day in Ketchikan and I was happy to have sprayed my shoes with waterproof spray before we went. I wore my Ariat boots. They are light weight and give my ankles more support then athletic shoes. They are comfortable enough that I wore them on the planes to and from.

We did do a lot of hiking in Alaska and in Norway (our last cruise). It rained all day in Ketchikan and I was happy to have sprayed my shoes with waterproof spray before we went. I wore my Ariat boots. They are light weight and give my ankles more support then athletic shoes. They are comfortable enough that I wore them on the planes to and from.

wish I still had my ariats - they are comfortable.

"It rained all day in Ketchikan!"

This was our experience also. I got a pair of what I call "duck" boots at the Bass outlet once when I was skiing up at Lake Arrowhead in CA. I find them to be so comfortable and I use them on the rare occasions when it actually rains in CA. Hasn't happened for a long while unfortunately.:D

I agree, if you can't find some waterproof or water-resistant shoes/boots quickly...use the protective, waterproof spray on your athletic shoes. or if you have a pair of comfortable boots.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. Alaska is so beautiful!:D

Guest maddycat
When I was in Alaska I just wore sneakers. It did rain and they were fine .

The same for me.........sneakers were fine. If you're really worried about rain then bring an extra pair of sneakers. That way you can alternate. Wear one while the other is drying.

I do hike & walk quite a bit in inclement weather (we seem to like to travel to northern Europe in November:p) so I have many pairs of goretex shoes - walking shoes, short hikers, hiking boots....

But I also have had great luck using a silicone water spray on leather boots. Haven't tried it on fabric shoes since I don't tend to tour in sneakers. Read the label, go from there.....

(I had my Lowa goretex walking shoes on the last trip to AK - we were out with family before the cruise and did some hiking, plus we did in ports as well)