What are the best tips for a newbie to make the most of Oceania?

chrismch

There is usually 1 show 9:45pm sometimes 9:30pm

Do not expect to see anything like the shows on Celebrity (or Royal). That way you will not be disappointed.

O has one show per night. Usually at 9:30.

Thank you all. What I assumed is similar to what we found on our one Azamara cruise. I know the entertainment venue is not a real theater, but more like a night-club. So I guess I expect nice, cabaret-style shows such as a singer (possibly a group or 2-3 individuals), a comedian or something along those lines. If I remember, on Azamara they had a few entertainers on staff and they did a few shows individually or in pairs/group and there were a few headliners along the way.

Possibly because we have been on enough Celebrity and Royal cruises, we've seen most of theirs and almost never go to production shows anyway. But we think (hope?) that what is on Oceania will make a nice after-dinner interlude but we are not expecting (or really want) a stage production.

Azamara entertainment was WORSE than Oceania (LOL) -- so you will see some measure of improvement.

I must add a note about the entertainment on my recent cruise on Regatta. Of the 4 entertainers there was one -- Haley -- who was absolutely Broadway calibre. She sang, danced, and ACTED -- truly exceptional. I would have preferred to watch her as a solo act the entire cruise. I spoke to her after the last show, wondering why she is not on Broadway or some venue other than a ship. She has gone to audition after audition . . She was unlike any other performer I have ever seen on O.

Edited by pacheco18

I am just chuckling to myself about the different things different people enjoy on an O cruise (or any cruise for that matter, I guess.)

So let me preface this by saying that I am NOT CRITICIZING ANYONE ELSE'S CHOICES. Do what you want, it is fine by me - as it should be.

We have taken a few O cruises. Love the ships. On our first cruise we attended the opening night's entertainment program, which was in Istanbul and featured some belly dancer. (My DH seems to recall that it was "Little Sahara." LOL) It was kind of "meh." We don't go to the evening shows. They just don't appeal. After the string quartet folds for the night, so do we!

Dining? On our last two cruises, we hit the Terrace exactly once per cruise. And that was the lunch on embarkation day. No offense to anyone, but battling the sharp elbow crowd is just not for us. Also, we find that buffets are a temptation to eat way too much.

While we enjoy the specialties (not Red Ginger, it is not a cuisine DH tolerates well) -- and we enjoy our allotted reservations every time... well, not always Toscana .... we just eat in the GDR. It suits us just fine. If it doesn't fit our schedule, we order room service.

Don't go to Waves either. Just too chaotic. Others adore it - and it seems lovely. To each their own.

Never go to the pool. I hate fighting for a chair. We like the peace and quiet of our veranda. Ahhhhhhhhhh.....!

Others will be appalled at our choices. But you see, they are just OUR CHOICES! And that, to me, is the key. Decide what YOU LIKE to do (or not to do), to eat (or not to eat) -- and follow your heart. O will do whatever it/they can to make you happier. And I believe you will be very, very, happy.

I am just chuckling to myself about the different things different people enjoy on an O cruise (or any cruise for that matter, I guess.)

So let me preface this by saying that I am NOT CRITICIZING ANYONE ELSE'S CHOICES. Do what you want, it is fine by me - as it should be.

We have taken a few O cruises. Love the ships. On our first cruise we attended the opening night's entertainment program, which was in Istanbul and featured some belly dancer. (My DH seems to recall that it was "Little Sahara." LOL) It was kind of "meh." We don't go to the evening shows. They just don't appeal. After the string quartet folds for the night, so do we!

Dining? On our last two cruises, we hit the Terrace exactly once per cruise. And that was the lunch on embarkation day. No offense to anyone, but battling the sharp elbow crowd is just not for us. Also, we find that buffets are a temptation to eat way too much.

While we enjoy the specialties (not Red Ginger, it is not a cuisine DH tolerates well) -- and we enjoy our allotted reservations every time... well, not always Toscana .... we just eat in the GDR. It suits us just fine. If it doesn't fit our schedule, we order room service.

Don't go to Waves either. Just too chaotic. Others adore it - and it seems lovely. To each their own.

Never go to the pool. I hate fighting for a chair. We like the peace and quiet of our veranda. Ahhhhhhhhhh.....!

Others will be appalled at our choices. But you see, they are just OUR CHOICES! And that, to me, is the key. Decide what YOU LIKE to do (or not to do), to eat (or not to eat) -- and follow your heart. O will do whatever it/they can to make you happier. And I believe you will be very, very, happy.

Totally agree -- doubt we would ever run into you on a cruise. LOLOL

I love choices.

I could have written this as exactly what we do and don't. Dinner in the suite is a highlight for us.

You are entitled to enjoy the cruise as you wish. One thing about the pool - you never have to fight for a chair there. We were on the Marina in April with lots of sea days and there never was an issue about a chair. That was very welcomed!

Thank you all. What I assumed is similar to what we found on our one Azamara cruise. I know the entertainment venue is not a real theater, but more like a night-club. So I guess I expect nice, cabaret-style shows such as a singer (possibly a group or 2-3 individuals), a comedian or something along those lines. If I remember, on Azamara they had a few entertainers on staff and they did a few shows individually or in pairs/group and there were a few headliners along the way.

It will depend on the ship you are sailing the R-ships are cabaret style seating the O class ships are theatre style seating & they do have some small production numbers

We enjoy the classical musicians the best

others may differ

Lyn

It will depend on the ship you are sailing the R-ships are cabaret style seating the O class ships are theatre style seating & they do have some small production numbers

We enjoy the classical musicians the best

others may differ

Lyn

Thank you. We will be on the Insignia which I am pretty sure is an R-class. We would be excited either way since any production shows would be new to us if we decided to give them a try. But I am quite happy if it is simple but decent quality entertainment.

Thank you. We will be on the Insignia which I am pretty sure is an R-class. We would be excited either way since any production shows would be new to us if we decided to give them a try. But I am quite happy if it is simple but decent quality entertainment.

Yes same R-ship as Azamara but with newer soft goods ;)

I was pleasantly surprised at the level of talent by the Insignia Singers on my recent cruise. I went in with low expectations but they (two male and two female) were all very good. That said, they had the worst costumes I have ever seen. They were so bad they were almost a distraction. Didn't seem fair to the performers.

You are entitled to enjoy the cruise as you wish. One thing about the pool - you never have to fight for a chair there. We were on the Marina in April with lots of sea days and there never was an issue about a chair. That was very welcomed!

Never say never! There are many threads here about "Chair Wars!!!"

We love jazz music. Are there quartets or trios that play any kind of jazz? So far I've only heard mention of a string trio.

Do they have any lecturers or talks during the day? I am not talking about shopping tips on how to buy jewelry or what to buy in port.

What type of daily activities do they have other than the artist's loft, culinary studio and wine tasting? Do they have trivia? Is there a library where we can borrow books to read during the cruise?

We'll be on the Riviera. Does this ship have some extras that others don't have?

We love jazz music. Are there quartets or trios that play any kind of jazz? So far I've only heard mention of a string trio.

As a rule, there are not. The full ships Orchestra generally plays dance music for a half an hour or forty five minutes before the Show in the Main (Riviera) Lounge, and afterwards a combo alternates with recorded music in the Observation (Horizons) Lounge until about midnight.

Do they have any lecturers or talks during the day? I am not talking about shopping tips on how to buy jewelry or what to buy in port.

The Lectures (and the Lecturers) are destination driven, so the number of talks and their topics will depend on when and where you are sailing. The lectures are always recorded and available to watch again via one's cabin television.

What type of daily activities do they have other than the artist's loft, culinary studio and wine tasting? Do they have trivia? Is there a library where we can borrow books to read during the cruise?

cvn_072805.jpgYou'll find a lending library, which operates strictly on the honor system, up on Deck 14, adjoining Baristas (the coffee bar) and the Computer Room.

cvn_074307.jpgTrivia is a huge attraction on Oceania, so much so that it was recently relocated to the Riviera Lounge in order to accommodate everyone who wished to participate.

cvn_080255.jpgOn some cruises, particularly the more port-intensive ones, a second round of Trivia -or some form of Name that Tune- may be played in the evening in the Martini Bar, so that no one is left out.

We'll be on the Riviera. Does this ship have some extras that others don't have?

All five ships in the Oceania fleet feature an Italian Specialty Restaurant Toscana) and a Steakhouse Specialty Restaurant (Polo). The larger Marina and Riviera also offer a French Specialty Restaurant (Jacques) and an Asian-fusion Specialty Restaurant (Red Ginger). Access to the Restaurants is covered in your cruise fare, i.e no "extra" charges, and the number of reservations which each passenger is guaranteed in each is based on a sliding scale which is tied into the type of accommodations which you have booked.

cvn_084445.jpgMarina and Riviera also offer dedicated Lounges for their passengers sailing in Concierge or Suite accommodations. These Lounges are furnished as large living rooms with Big screen TV's, comfy sofa and chairs,magazines and newspapers, two or three hardwired computers (with printers) and a Concierge on duty. Snacks, soft drinks, coffee, tea, Espresso and Cappuccino are available throughout the day.

cvn_201815.jpgIf you enjoy entertaining, Marina and Riviera feature a Private Party Room, called Privée which may be hired for parties of two to ten guests for a fee of $250 per evening. Food is provided by either or both of the two Specialty Restaurants adjoining (Polo &/or Toscana)

Edited by StanandJim

Trivia is a huge attraction on Oceania, so much so that it was recently relocated to the Riviera Lounge in order to accommodate everyone who wished to participate.

On the O ships trivia started in the O lounge not moved there due to popularity. They are now trying other areas with some complaints and some success.

Its new venue was the reason we stopped going after the first time in the 'theatre'. We completed trivia on that cruise to ensure we met any obligation with our team but have not joined trivia since.

Sad really because it was one of the amazing memories from our first cruise on O. So much fun in a social context. I've read some pax are now using WiFi devices to get answers, even sadder.

Replacing the beautiful multi-purpose room with the poorly designed theatre was a design mistake IMHO. And a lousy venue for what was a socially orientated entertainment. Plus the sight-lines are terrible at the rear of the theatre and add in the loss of a dance floor and it is a significant change.

I hope O pays attention when designing the next Del Rio class of ships

Edited by YoHoHo

On the O ships trivia started in the O lounge not moved there due to popularity. They are now trying other areas with some complaints and some success.

As long as we are picking nits, there is no such thing as an O Lounge on any of the ships.

For each vessel, the Main Lounge is named after the ship, i.e. the Insignia Lounge, The Regatta Lounge, the Nautica Lounge, and so on.

Secondly, I don't know how early you sailed on the O Class, but I certainly remember playing Trivia in Martini's on the Maiden Voyage of the Riviera....

lp.aspx?r2qs=QSH_hwgUgkfYELrf__7ZP_JRJuAAKIkoAAW___2yf%24T%24AAABYEkmRpmLZWYM4ZgzBm7ZWYMwbC2FmDxvqIz6FKHxYa9Q6iLOqGo4s7Qpwj7i0LAqiiFQAAG2zLGyZY0RTQqAAAMCjSlApXEpVKeYKVGpHSg6pSKT%24rNilZrVopTa%24tKV6xFUKWCxKGKVWxNuKVqxRCKVWxXIKV%24xactCwKooh7Z0xtsyxsmWNEU0IgAADAospMKjKKVuqWClaqxQoOr1ykSrEkoOtvikurjApUa_AKWCxBbKV%24xDPKWWxGHqiiJsA5m2zLGyZY0RTQiAAAMCjikvqKspUameKVqqOClVqvwpTatmKDrDkpEqyrKDriApM66SKVivuilRsQQClasQ2ylasRnig7EmGqKIupqAbbMsbJljRFNCIAAAwKNKT%24oGilNqScpWqn7KVCqvillq5EoOsTCkSrL4oOuMiktrqQpTrEIcpTrETopVbEe4pUbEliqKI2jQabbMsbJljRFNCIAAAwKKKT%24peylgqqUpTasZKVqr7Cg6ywKRKtIig66WKTavCClVr_4pWbEGi0LQlGiTcAARoiSgAGDQTRFRCA--&width=402&page=2lp.aspx?r2qs=QSH_hwgUgUitgQut___tk_8lEm4AAoiSgABb___bJ_5P4AAAEbYE%24EiGVESUAARDKiJKAAUSbgACIZKJNwABEMiQtt2TtkyZYbIFgWBiJYE%24EiGVCLAAAohEAAEQyoh9AAFEIgAAiGVEPoAAoebAAEQyoRYAAFDzYAAlQiwAAKHmwAArafwC%24vlAJXai38r5MvEXS7UkkyNMxbIzBnDMGytlZozBsbYWcMweN%24T06wpQ20AAKIZ4ABQiwAAKHmwAAWhaFgVRRJK2FDcf%247ZP_Z3qFIAABgUiBSc0v2UpFQBlKjUoRSmVVUUo1W5FKRWWRQdb4lKvXUpSpV7aUHYhqlJJYjElKvYnIlKXYoslKRYrglKjYuAlKtYw02hYFUURclHg3H_u2T_2d6hQAAAYFElIxVqRSJVkkUilahlIzXQZSJV%24GUitiDqUidiNqUiliXqUitihrVFEbvpxNx_7tk_9neoUAAAGBRpSYVH8UolWcFKZWKhSj1oKUpFcilKjXsJQdiFCUk1iKCUqtiXYUrFieCUplioCUq1itmUpFi1ZaFgVRRDqmsTcf%247ZP_aGKoUgAAGBRZSYVDaUm1VflB1kkUmta6FKZXsRSs2IHxSmWI45SkWJUZSq2KH5SiWK9ZQdi8VaFoSjRJuAAI0RJQADBoJoiohA&width=402

I have to disagree on this one. On a Caribbean cruise on Riviera with 4 sea days, the poolside chaise lounges were so full that we quit even attempting to get one, and yes, personnel had to remove property frequently from absent pax that were hogging them.

I have to disagree on this one. On a Caribbean cruise on Riviera with 4 sea days, the poolside chaise lounges were so full that we quit even attempting to get one, and yes, personnel had to remove property frequently from absent pax that were hogging them.

I have said this time and time again

Every cruise is different. On one cruise Toscana will be great -- maybe just average the next. Same with age demographic. Same with the CD. Same with pool chair hogs. There is no hard and fast rule about Oceania IMO.

Exactly! Availability of extra specialty dinner reservations or deck chairs (or just about anything else) depends on the itinerary (not to mention weather) and the passengers aboard at that time. There are passengers who refuse to dine anywhere but in a specialty restaurant and there are passengers who don't care all that much about the specialty restaurants.

You'll find out when you're on board. And I certainly would expect deck chairs to be at a premium on a Caribbean cruise. Whereas on our north atlantic TA last month chairs were always available! Weather was largely very good on this cruise but I wouldn't claim it was exactly sunbathing weather either!

Mura

As long as we are picking nits, there is no such thing as an O Lounge on any of the ships.

For each vessel, the Main Lounge is named after the ship, i.e. the Insignia Lounge, The Regatta Lounge, the Nautica Lounge, and so on.

Yes, you are correct of course. I was just using a generic term for the show/theatre venue regardless of the actual vessel. Being as they are the same design on the R-ships and on the O class the distinction to me is the class of ship not the vessel itself, so O-ship lounges vs. R-lounges. Your nit is indeed correct.

Secondly, I don't know how early you sailed on the O Class, but I certainly remember playing Trivia in Martini's on the Maiden Voyage of the Riviera....

Following complaints I believe they started trying other venues such as Martini's. I was referring to the first O ship, Marina, Maiden Voyage.

lp.aspx?r2qs=QSH_hwgUgkfYELrf__7ZP_JRJuAAKIkoAAW___2yf%24T%24AAABYEkmRpmLZWYM4ZgzBm7ZWYMwbC2FmDxvqIz6FKHxYa9Q6iLOqGo4s7Qpwj7i0LAqiiFQAAG2zLGyZY0RTQqAAAMCjSlApXEpVKeYKVGpHSg6pSKT%24rNilZrVopTa%24tKV6xFUKWCxKGKVWxNuKVqxRCKVWxXIKV%24xactCwKooh7Z0xtsyxsmWNEU0IgAADAospMKjKKVuqWClaqxQoOr1ykSrEkoOtvikurjApUa_AKWCxBbKV%24xDPKWWxGHqiiJsA5m2zLGyZY0RTQiAAAMCjikvqKspUameKVqqOClVqvwpTatmKDrDkpEqyrKDriApM66SKVivuilRsQQClasQ2ylasRnig7EmGqKIupqAbbMsbJljRFNCIAAAwKNKT%24oGilNqScpWqn7KVCqvillq5EoOsTCkSrL4oOuMiktrqQpTrEIcpTrETopVbEe4pUbEliqKI2jQabbMsbJljRFNCIAAAwKKKT%24peylgqqUpTasZKVqr7Cg6ywKRKtIig66WKTavCClVr_4pWbEGi0LQlGiTcAARoiSgAGDQTRFRCA--&width=402&page=2lp.aspx?r2qs=QSH_hwgUgUitgQut___tk_8lEm4AAoiSgABb___bJ_5P4AAAEbYE%24EiGVESUAARDKiJKAAUSbgACIZKJNwABEMiQtt2TtkyZYbIFgWBiJYE%24EiGVCLAAAohEAAEQyoh9AAFEIgAAiGVEPoAAoebAAEQyoRYAAFDzYAAlQiwAAKHmwAArafwC%24vlAJXai38r5MvEXS7UkkyNMxbIzBnDMGytlZozBsbYWcMweN%24T06wpQ20AAKIZ4ABQiwAAKHmwAAWhaFgVRRJK2FDcf%247ZP_Z3qFIAABgUiBSc0v2UpFQBlKjUoRSmVVUUo1W5FKRWWRQdb4lKvXUpSpV7aUHYhqlJJYjElKvYnIlKXYoslKRYrglKjYuAlKtYw02hYFUURclHg3H_u2T_2d6hQAAAYFElIxVqRSJVkkUilahlIzXQZSJV%24GUitiDqUidiNqUiliXqUitihrVFEbvpxNx_7tk_9neoUAAAGBRpSYVH8UolWcFKZWKhSj1oKUpFcilKjXsJQdiFCUk1iKCUqtiXYUrFieCUplioCUq1itmUpFi1ZaFgVRRDqmsTcf%247ZP_aGKoUgAAGBRZSYVDaUm1VflB1kkUmta6FKZXsRSs2IHxSmWI45SkWJUZSq2KH5SiWK9ZQdi8VaFoSjRJuAAI0RJQADBoJoiohA&width=402

The Smartinis! what a great name. Must have been a fun cruise.

Our favorites: Do not miss the cooking classes. Buy a few discounted bottles of wine at the sale on the first or second day of the cruise. They will store any bottles you don't finish at dinner for the next night, wherever you eat. Consider trying the discounted cocktail of the day. We loved the spa, particularly a relaxing sauna or thassalotherapy and some time reading on a hot tiled chaise before dinner. Never busy there. Daily macchiato at the coffee bar. Fun rounds on the putting course. If you have a butler, course by course dinner while packing on the last night, from any restaurant.

Edited by JPR

These things may have been mentioned before, and if so, I apologize, as I didn't read the whole thread. However, my tips are:

We always book inside cabins. That means we are in the group of people who can't make dinner reservations until 45 days out, after many people have made them. Last night I stayed up until midnight so I could book my reservations. (Today is the first day for my cruise.) The system flipped over to allowing me to book exactly at midnight, so I was glad I stayed up. Who knows, maybe by 8 in the morning those same reservations would have been available, but in any case I wanted to do whatever I could to maximize my chances of getting good rezzies. I did - although the non-sharing opportunities were limited on the at sea day, which is normal for the times I want (NOT at 8PM!!)

Others may have mentioned it before, but do NOT turn up your nose at the Terrace for dinner, even if you don't like buffets. The made-to-order grill is wonderful, and the opportunity to eat outside is, too (assuming the weather is nice!) We once went an entire cruise without eating in the main dining room for a single meal. We were in there the first evening for the muster drill and that was IT.

If the pool area is crowded, go up top as high as you can. There are always loungers available there, and if not, the pool staff will set you up with them. Bar staff don't come by too often up there, however, so if drinking is important, you may want to stick to the pool area.

Muster drill is usually right before the ship leaves. On embarkation day, that's one reason (among many) that you're required to be on board at least an hour or more before departure time. In the ports after that, a half hour is sufficient.

You CAN bring alcohol on board, at least at the embarkation port (not sure of the others). If your cruise starts in Barcelona or other Spanish port, beware the Spanish VAT tax on board cruise ships. There's a thread somewhere else about it - 10% tax on your drinks unless you buy a drinks package from home or outside of Spain!

I learn how to navigate the ship by looking at what side of the elevators the phone is - if phone is on the same side as my stateroom, that helps me know which way to turn when I get off the elevators.

There are lots of nice, quiet places with relative privacy if you crave that - just explore a little and you'll find them. There are also a couple computers in the library, not just the internet center. For the library, please, please don't be a book hog. It's irritating to go into the library a day or two after embarkation only to find NO travel books on the area in which you're traveling. Then mysteriously on the last day the travel books show up......grr. (Maybe Celebrity has the right idea - put only 25 or so non-fiction books in each ship's library, including NO travel books!)

I always bring a little wrist wrap (sold mostly for phones) or a tiny pouch to hang around my neck with my key card. Purses, no matter how small, are a pain, and I often don't have pockets, so the pouch or wrist wrap works well. That key card is always going in and out....

There are not a lot of outdoor spaces on Marina and Riviera to go to take pictures unless you go up top to the pool deck and above. On the smaller ships, it's a little different.

If you're in an inside cabin, there is a web cam at the front of the ship, and you can turn to that channel on the TV to see what it's doing outside weather-wise.

Enjoy!

Edited by roothy123

Oops..forgot one suggestion: When you go out in a port, especially if you are going as an independent (in other words not on an Oceania excursion), take the port agent information that Oceania prints in the Currents newsletter each night. Last year in St. Petersburg we ran into a woman who had gotten separated from her tour group at the Hermitage and had NO idea what to do. She had no phone and was practically hysterical, as I would have been in! She was wandering around the huge parking lot looking for more Oceania cruisers. Luckily she ran into my husband and another O cruiser who helped her contact the port agent.

If you're in danger of not getting back to the ship on time, it is especially important to call and let the agent know that you're late. The ship may or may not wait for you, but at least your chances of making it are greater, and I'm sure Oceania would appreciate knowing their passengers are OK.

If you need an extra "Currents" for someone staying on board while you go out, just ask for one at Reception.

Is there a charge for the thassalotherapy pool, steam or saunas?

Are the specialty restaurants open for lunch? If so, is that part of the 1 guarantee per cruise?

At the Terrace Grille, what do they actually grill?

Will there be a noise issue if our cabin is above the casino area on the Riviera?

Does O have a Captain's "Welcome Aboard" and "Farewell" party?