What are the best tips for a newbie to make the most of Oceania?

chrismch

We just booked our first Oceania cruise on the Riviera. We've cruised other lines but this is our first for this line.

How hard is it to get specialty restaurant reservations when you're not in a suite or concierge level? Will I be able to try out each of the restaurants or is it really limited?

Is there a walking tour of the ship to help us get acclimated or are we on our own?

What type of special activities does Oceania have that I may not have seen on other cruiselines?

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

We just booked our first Oceania cruise on the Riviera. We've cruised other lines but this is our first for this line.

How hard is it to get specialty restaurant reservations when you're not in a suite or concierge level? Will I be able to try out each of the restaurants or is it really limited?

You are allotted 1 per restaurant but I would book as soon as you are allowed according to your cabin cat

Is there a walking tour of the ship to help us get acclimated or are we on our own?

You are on your own ..check the deck plan before you go

What type of special activities does Oceania have that I may not have seen on other cruiselines?

Culinary cooking classes

read up on some of the restaurants & sample menus

If you want to do a cooking class book early before the cruise they do fill up quickly

Enjoy

Lyn

We've reviewed the menus on each of them and love the choices.

Is there a fee for the culinary class? Is that also given priority according to cabin category?

Are there any free fitness classes?

Is there a fee for the culinary class?
The Culinary Center is fee based, and the cost varies based on the type of Class
Is that also given priority according to cabin category?
No, any passenger may make cooking class reservations just as soon as they have a Booking number. Classes are put onto the Cruise Schedule just as soon as the Instructor is assigned to teach them, typically between 9 and 6 months, pre- cruise.
Are there any free fitness classes
Yes, but mostly for basic, introductory stuff. More specialized Classes are fee based. Edited by JimandStan

I'm not aware of an organised tour of the ship, but starting at the top and wandering through the ship down to the bottom levels is an excellent idea.

When we were on Riviera in the Fall, a tour of the various cabins and suites was arranged by some passengers through the roll call for the cruise. We saw a number of suites at a variety of levels and prices, and it was a fascinating way to get to know the ship and fellow passengers.

If you haven't yet found the roll call for your cruise, you should do so. Perhaps you and some others can organise a similar tour.

-- David

Marina/Riviera are ~1,250 passengers, not the 4,000-passenger mega-ships of some lines. The design is pretty straight forward, with elevators fore and aft, and a general description of what is on each level is visible in the elevator when you reach that floor. No "dead ends" like on some of the huge ships.

A stroll around the decks on embarkation day should give you the general flow, and it gets increasingly easier from there.

Enjoy!

!

Extra reservations above your allotted number are often not difficult to come by if you are flexible about your dining time and willing to share a table (which IMO is a great way to meet fellow passengers). There is a separate desk for specialty restaurant reservations and you can visit to check availability and make requests.

There is the Artist's Loft where you can learn or practice your painting skills.

It is free but very popular - show up EARLY!

Nightly lobster tails, jumbo shrimp and tons of other choices @ the Terrace Café

If you book your specialty restaurant reservations as soon as it is open for you to do so, you will have many choices, particularly ir you want to eat early. Also, you easily can get more reservations onboard, particularly if you are flexible on time and sharing a table. There is a reservation desk on deck 5 specifically for these reservations.

Last month on Riviera, we dined a second time at Jacques by asking the same morning and being willing to dine at the opening time of 6:30 PM.

Edited by CintiPam

Or just sit back and enjoy your cruise. You'll have lot's of time to look are the ship and find what you like. The service is better than good, so relax and enjoy yourself.

Rick

Rick, that is the best advice you can give any new Oceania cruiser! Relax and have a wonderful time - almost everyone whe sails Oceania loves the entire experience. We have done so 17 times and keep coming back!! Arlene;)

One thing to consider, decks 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 are all staterooms, the only thing you need to know about on those decks is which one has your stateroom and where it's at. Also where the laundry is on your level if you plan on using it. There is also the concierge & executive lounges on those levels but if you are staying in any room below concierge you won't be using either of them.

It's a pretty simple and straightforward design. I love the sizeof these ships.

Just to add onto this: "You easily can get more reservations onboard, particularly if you are flexible on time and sharing a table."

Availability is very dependant on your particular cruise and the pax make-up, itinerary, etc.

Some report on CC that is it easy, others have reported even their butlers could not get additional. we have experienced both. Availability is very dependant on *your* sailing.

Just don't want your expectations too high and think you will always get in. Some pax not in a top suite feel snubbed when asked for their cabin number and then told there is 'no soup for you'. They thought it would be easy.

Sometimes they can accommodate you and some times not. As was mentioned if you are flexible as to time and if you will share you increase the availability. But also flexibility on the venue, and try again the next day (you can't book these additional seating ahead on an ad-hoc basis though your butler can)

I do enjoy the Specialty restaurants but not to the exclusion of the GDR. For others Terrace Buffet, especially now with the grill to order station, is ideal. In fact with the Specialty restaurants menus not changing we sometimes prefer the GDR. I sometimes think too much emphasis is placed on getting additional seatings in the Specialties but for many it is a high point.

All wonderful suggestions. Oceania will provide you with the best of the best--service, food, ambience, etc. etc.

If they have the stringed quartet, be sure to locate where they are playing and enjoy their music. We found that to be most relaxing.

Also the Waves Grill is nice after a long tour. As I recall it is open until 4 p.m. Panini's, burgers, and similar.

Horizons is also a perfect place to be viewing forward. Fabulous staff everywhere.

Regarding the question about a "ship's tour" -- yes, this has been answered but I'll add my two cents anyway.

Even on Marina and Riviera, with only 1250 passengers it's easy enough to figure out the lay of the land. It's even easier on the smaller 684 passenger ships.

That being said, our first cruise on Renaissance (on the R2 which is now Regatta) they DID offer a tour the first afternoon -- we never saw this tour again after that first cruise -- which not only showed you the general lay of the land, but also showed us the galleys, the bridge, etc. It was a great tour, I just wish they still did it! (Since it was before 9/11, lots of things have changed.)

But just walking around the "public" decks will quickly show you what is where. And they also give you a little card that shows a schematic of the ship.

Mura

Another question from someone new to Oceania. What times are the shows? Our cruising has been on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and they have two shows (usually 7:30 and 9:30 or thereabouts).

Another question from someone new to Oceania. What times are the shows? Our cruising has been on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and they have two shows (usually 7:30 and 9:30 or thereabouts).

There is usually 1 show 9:45pm sometimes 9:30pm

One thing about Riviera that I really liked is that throughout the public areas of the ship there are many quiet little corners tucked away here and there. It was a few days before I realised just how many of these there are. So as you get to know the ship, that is one more thing to notice.

Do not expect to see anything like the shows on Celebrity (or Royal). That way you will not be disappointed.

We will be new to Oceania October on Insignia), having sailed most recently on Silversea. Silversea may be known for a lot of things, but not for their shows! The piano bar was great, but the shows (for us, at least) were downright painful! Anything will be an improvement! And something different, at least!

I have not been on O for years, am on WC segments. But aside from the wonderful food, I especially remember everyone was beautifully dressed, in what I consider cruise wear.

Edited by zoncom