What are the best tips for a newbie to make the most of Oceania?

chrismch

I agree with Mura on many things but not about the ship's transfer

I cannot think of anywhere in the world where I would pay the exorbitant prices Oceania charges for a transfer (Syria, Somalia, Baghdad, Tehran - maybe). It is so easy to set up private transfers on line. Most airports have an abundance of taxis.

Laraine,

Just a slight comment. I'm not advocating ship's transfers but I can why people might consider using them VERY occasionally. We certainly didn't need one in Beijing. (In fact, I cannot remember a destination where we have used a ship's transfer -- although if we were heading for a hot spot right now (say Bagdad), I might consider it!)

And we don't disagree on the ridiculous amounts that O charges for transfers.

Mura

I really appreciate all the responses.

I think it would take a really unusual circumstance for my wife to iron on a cruise. :rolleyes:

It seems that O is definitely a quality operation. We have cruised a good bit on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and will do more, but I am expecting a real step up for this one.

We are active on roll calls and have joined the one for our upcoming Insignia cruise in July of next year. I know very well the benefits of them as we have had some wonderful excursions and excellent transfers (some with more than 100 people involved). But there are circumstances when I would definitely take a ship's excursion (not as often for the transfer, but that is just us). For example, if we were in a port that was followed by several sea days and the excursion went well away from the pier, I would probably opt for the ship's excursion over a private one for the security of having a better chance that the ship will still be there if we are late.

As to booking on board, it is a truly complex game with Celebrity and Royal as they often have sales that mimic some of the offers, and you really have to study to figure out the best deal. I know people almost never pay "Retail" or brochure rates, but the sale that was going on when we booked our cruise was about 42% of retail and included air. I don't know if included air is a standard, but the price we paid for our cruise fell close enough to the daily cost of our Celebrity eastern Med cruise that I didn't feel extreme sticker shock. If someone had booked on board, would there have been any additional discount to what was available on line? That would be really fantastic.

Mura

I am told o will be offering some interesting new itineraries. Baghdad?

Think we could find a private tour? Lol

Er, I think I'll wait on that, Laraine! But I'd always be happy to join a tour that YOU organize ... I don't like the pressure! Not that I haven't organized some tours ... but I'd never do ALL of them as you do!

When is it cool in Bagdad?

Mura

Edited by Mura

I see comments on the boards about self-serve laundry. I know my wife has no interest in that so I wonder, is there laundry-for-a-fee? Is it reasonable?

OK, we're rookies to Oceania as well and will be taking our first adventure with O on the Marina on September 14th (Barcelona to Lisbon). I have looked at the interactive deck plan on their website, but do not see a Laundry Room (looking for an iron!). We will be on Deck 11 (11038). Am I missing the "secret door" somewhere?

Thanks for your help!

tt

There are laundry rooms on all the decks with staterooms. I'm sure someone can post a diagram. Two irons /boards in each

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Awesome! If nothing else, I can always ask at the Lounge on 11. Thank you!

I really appreciate all the responses.

I think it would take a really unusual circumstance for my wife to iron on a cruise. :rolleyes:

As to booking on board, it is a truly complex game with Celebrity and Royal as they often have sales that mimic some of the offers, and you really have to study to figure out the best deal. I know people almost never pay "Retail" or brochure rates, but the sale that was going on when we booked our cruise was about 42% of retail and included air. I don't know if included air is a standard, but the price we paid for our cruise fell close enough to the daily cost of our Celebrity eastern Med cruise that I didn't feel extreme sticker shock. If someone had booked on board, would there have been any additional discount to what was available on line? That would be really fantastic.

Bob, I'm glad to hear you say that Oceania isn't that much more expensive than Celebrity, when all is said and done, and with what you get with each. I've done 2 Celebrity cruises, only because they were cheaper and shorter and went to places in the Caribbean I hadn't been (especially Puerto Rico). However, I agree that they aren't really much cheaper, especially if you're going to Europe or farther, which means you'll be paying quite a bit for that airfare, especially if you fly to one place and come back to the other. I went on Celebrity with my eyes open, not expecting it to be Oceania, and it wasn't awful, but I think that after 2 cruises (on Summit, which is smaller than most) I'm done. My husband told me flat out that he is done and that if we want a short hot weather getaway, we'll have to do something other than go on Celebrity! (Of course I started looking at Oceania to South America or a trip on our own to Guatemala....but I guess I need to increase my budget for a quick winter getaway!) Anyway, I hated the people everywhere (Summit may be small for X, but it seemed ultra crowded to me after being on O's small ships for about 5 years and then large Marina for 2. I also found the food very inconsistent, ranging from excellent (mostly vegetables, and I normally don't like veggies that much!) to really drab and overcooked (fish, a veal "special of the day" etc.) There were other things I wasn't crazy about, but overall I thought X did a pretty good job for a fair price. But all that up and down on the prices, and special promotions that you might or might not hear about, and waiting with baited breath to see if they'd offer their 1-2-3 package seemed a bit crazy and complicated. And I really had no desire to pay $40 just to order off an iPad and eat sushi on lollipops and a chocolate gravestone on grass!

I agree that finding a great TA who deals with Oceania a lot is a big help. If you would like the name of mine, just say so and I'll email you. I remember the first one I booked with. She asked me, "Do you want the early or late seating?" and I realized she was NOT it! Now I don't even bother to look around for a deal, I just call up "our guy."

OK, we're rookies to Oceania as well and will be taking our first adventure with O on the Marina on September 14th (Barcelona to Lisbon). I have looked at the interactive deck plan on their website, but do not see a Laundry Room (looking for an iron!). We will be on Deck 11 (11038). Am I missing the "secret door" somewhere?

Thanks for your help!

tt

On the deck plans I've seen, the laundry rooms are denoted with a tiny hangar or something like that. They're in between other staterooms and about 2/3 of the way back (or possibly front). It's really hard to see them...

By the way, we're going Lisbon to Barcelona in August on Insignia. I can't wait.

Edited by roothy123

One of the nice things about the abundance of laundry facilities on Marina and Riviera is that if the machines are all being used on your floor you can just go up or down a floor. You never have a problem getting a machine.

The R ships, OTOH, have just one laundry room and there is often a wait. Sometimes you get lucky. At least the room has been redone and the set up is better.

I'm not a big fan of doing my own laundry on board (I find O's prices very reasonable) but if we have lots of sea days I generally visit the laundry room at least once. Good place to make new friends. LOL

2tsquared

Here is a link to the deck plans for Marina:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/idp/?sid=MNA#st_content_7

The laundry room on Deck 11, depicted by the clothes hanger, is forward.

Cheers.

Don

Well, Don . . . the O newbie in me is certainly showing up tonight! They say "confession is good for the soul," so I "confess" that I did see that "icon" but thought it was an arrow of some sort. It never even crossed my mind that it represented a laundry room! :o

Thanks to NC&KY and pacheco for their as well! I'm not looking to do laundry, but being able to press something once in a while is definitely something I'll do.

tt :)

Well, Don . . . the O newbie in me is certainly showing up tonight! They say "confession is good for the soul," so I "confess" that I did see that "icon" but thought it was an arrow of some sort. It never even crossed my mind that it represented a laundry room! :o

Thanks to NC&KY and pacheco for their as well! I'm not looking to do laundry, but being able to press something once in a while is definitely something I'll do.

tt :)

I may be mistaken but I think in a PH you get 4 items pressed for free then you are on your own or maybe the butler will do it for you :D

I may be mistaken but I think in a PH you get 4 items pressed for free then you are on your own or maybe the butler will do it for you :D

Thank you LHT28. I do know that we get a bit of limited pressing, but sometimes it's just easier -- and quicker -- to do it yourself. Although . . . I do like your idea of getting some help from our butler! :)

I have seen that some of you have said the cost of self-serve laundry on the O is "reasonable", but can you be more specific? Cost of a washer? Cost of a dryer and how many minutes that gets you? I'm just "thrifty" enough to do laundry onboard, and want to know what to expect.

Ann

It costs to use the laundry facilities? Seriously? I just thought it was complimentary like on the other lines we have been on. Thanks for the info. Hope they work better than the free ones then!

It DOES cost but it's a lot cheaper than having the ship do it for you.

I found that it worked just as well as the machines on the QE2 (which were free) but then NCL doesn't have a self-service laundry period.

Depending on which ship you are on, there can be a timing problem.

Marina and Riviera (being larger ships) have laundry rooms on each deck where there are cabins, so it's not so difficult to get a machine. On the "R" ships -- their being smaller-- there is only one laundry room and so timing can be a problem.

Our experience is that if we go in to do our laundry around cocktail hour, we have no problem -- especially since we tend to go to dinner later than many others. Sea days are NOT a good choice! But if you're in port and not going off-ship, then it can be good.

I am someone who prefers to do my own laundry rather than sending it out (and it's not because of cost) ... just so you know my own bias.

If we're on a sort cruise we probably won't bother with laundry, but our recent cruises have been 16-20 days, and so then we DO need to do it. And as I said, I prefer to do my own.

Mura

It costs to use the laundry facilities? Seriously? I just thought it was complimentary like on the other lines we have been on. Thanks for the info. Hope they work better than the free ones then!

What ships have complimentary laundry??

The only one we have had free self serve laundry was the AQ

I recall that the QE2 had a free laundry, with about a dozen machines (i.e. 12 washers, 12 dryers). Then again, NCL removed it's guest laundry!

I'm not sure at all which lines (if any) actually have free machines these days. I checked at Cunard but they don't really address the issue as far as I could tell, other than saying that "incidental charges such as laundry" are not included in your fare. But it isn't clear if they are referring to laundry done by ship's personnel as opposed to laundry you do in their laundry room -- they didn't even mention if they have laundry rooms on the current ships. (Or if they do mention it, I didn't see it.)

Mura