Question about Main Dining Room

TheDivineMrsM

Okay, I'm just wanting to understand the dining options.

We'll be taking an 8 day cruise.

1. Are we allowed to eat in the Main Dining Room every night? Or just those two formal dining nights?

2. Are the meals free in the MDR? We aren't buying a drink plan and will have glasses of water, no problem.

3. Do we tip or not tip in the MDR? I know we're being charged about $15 per person each day for gratuity.

4. If we do eat in the MDR each night, is the appropriate attire pants for men? No shorts?

5. Is the MDR for breakfast as well? I thought I read that somewhere.

Thanks!

I would recommend that you identity which cruise line you are asking about. Also I would post this on the cruise line board. I am assuming you have booked a cruise since you mentioned an 8 day cruise. If you are asking in general we can help you with that although some of this will vary by cruise ship/cruise line.

Most MDR's are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Meals are included in most MDR's as part of your cruise fare.

May cruse lines have automatic tipping.

The $15.00 will cover the MDR personnel. You can also tip more if you would like.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

1. Are we allowed to eat in the Main Dining Room every night? Or just those two formal dining nights?

2. Are the meals free in the MDR? We aren't buying a drink plan and will have glasses of water, no problem.

3. Do we tip or not tip in the MDR? I know we're being charged about $15 per person each day for gratuity.

4. If we do eat in the MDR each night, is the appropriate attire pants for men? No shorts?

Thanks!

1 - Yes. Every night. And, in addition, you can also eat in the buffet, the cafes and even order room service. You can order as many of the appetizers, soups, salads, entrees and deserts as you wish. NO LIMITS! If you want, you can even go to the buffet for dinner . . . leave there and go to the MDR for a four course meal . . . then follow up with another trip to the buffet and . . . have room service waiting for you in the cabin . . . EVERY DAY!

2 - Yes. The meals are FREE. The only places that you pay for meals are in the specialty restaurants. And, even there the charge is the grratuity. The food is free, so, if you want lobster wiuth that steak, ask for it.

3 - No. No tipping in the MDR. Your wait staff get a portion of that daily gratuities charge.

4 - In the evenings, shorts are NOT appropriate for men. Not much of a problem for breakfast or lunch though.

5 - As stated in "4" above. Yes. Breakfast and Lunch are served in the MDR every day, except the last day (debarkation).

Note - If you order room service, a small tip is appropriate $1-2 per person. Some lines now charge for late night room service. Check with your cruise line and verify with your cruisemates on the thread for your sailing!

Also, you do pay for alcoholic beverages, soda pop and specialty coffees. Your cruise line will probably have a "package deal"; but, to break even, you'd have to drink a lot.

Regular coffee, tea, iced tea, milk, fruit juices and water are free.

Edited by Calgon1

Those tips you're being charged cover everyone who is supposed to be tipped! Any drink you buy will have 15% added to the cost. Room service delivery is NOT included in the prepaid tips, so if you use room service, plan on tipping about $1-5, depending on how much they have to carry.

Included drinks are ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot), lemonade (where available) milk and juice at breakfast.

Shorts are fine at breakfast and lunch, but long pants/collared shirt (for men) is dinner wear....women may wear capris, skirt, sundress, slacks, etc..... for dinner.

There will also be a buffet that's include in your fare, so you're not limited to the dining room.

(By the way, nothing is 'free'...it's INCLUDED in the fare you pay!!!)

Edited by cb at sea

1. Are we allowed to eat in the Main Dining Room every night? Or just those two formal dining nights? yes. if you have set dining you will eat at the same time and place every night iwth the same people. if you have flexible( called various things) you will eat when you like

2. Are the meals free in the MDR? We aren't buying a drink plan and will have glasses of water, no problem. there are items that cost extra but they are clearly labeled

3. Do we tip or not tip in the MDR? I know we're being charged about $15 per person each day for gratuity. the daily charge covers all meals and the cabin steward

4. If we do eat in the MDR each night, is the appropriate attire pants for men? No shorts? no shorst ar=t dinner for anyone no matter what age,

5. Is the MDR for breakfast as well? I thought I read that somewhere. most days yes. Lunch only on sea days

Thanks!

this os pretty generic and true for all mainstream cruise lines but each one will have a few small differences

. . . I think I'm actually starting to understand the ins and outs of how it all works.

Glad you are. Many of us have been cruising for years, if not decades, and we still learn new stuff every time. Of course, that's one of the perks of getting older. Sometimes we are like geese . . . we wake up un a new world every day!

If you'd like to you may give a cash tip to your waiter, assistant waiter and/or the wine waiter on the last evening. The waiter and assistant waiter are included in the daily automatic gratuity and the wine waiter receives some of the 15% gratuity upcharge or corkage, but you may tip extra if you wish.

Edited by Underwatr

Thanks!

Every night is OK

Free MDR

Tips will be added to your statement if you like

Slacks is nice for men, no shorts, tank tops, flip-flops

MDR OK for all meals

Since you have indicated you are cruising RCCL, there are only a few corrections. The MDR allows shorts at breakfast and lunch, it's just dinner in the MDR that you don't wear shorts. No tank tops for men at any of the meals. The MDR is only open for lunch on days at sea, but the Windjammer, and several other options are all open for lunch every day. Room service is the only time you tip as you go. We keep an envelope handy with small bills for the tips. Order rooms service as your wake up call by leaving a door hanger (you'll find it behind your door in your cabin) outside your cabin before you go to bed and they'll call you (that's your wake up) to tell you that room service is on its way. I order coffee and juice to have while getting ready for the full on breakfast (lol). We do the soda card because it works for us. I think it's around $6.50 a day, but buying the soda separately is about $3.50 each. When it's hot by the pool deck, we usually order a soda. At lunch, we usually want a soda. After we get back from the beach or a tour, we usually want a cold soda. That alone more than pays for the soda card each day. Some of us even have a soda with our dinner. If that's not for you, the tea, lemonade, etc is free. Enjoy.

The main dining room (MDR) is all-you-can-eat.

I think this is true for all cruise lines -- definitely true for RCI.

I often order 6 or more starters (appetizers) and sometime two main dishes (entrees).

"I'd like another lobster bisque, please."

Try the chilled fruit soups.

It's also a good time to try something you are not sure about.

You can always order something else if you don't like it.

And don't worry about wasting the food -- the kitchen throws out most of the unordered food anyway.

I'm not saying to order lots of stuff and then only eat a bite or two, but I often don't finish the entrees, especially if I've ordered two of them (like the duck and the filet of beef the first formal night).

By the way, the buffet is also open at night, and is very good.

Some people only go to the buffet.

It is also a good option is you have early dining and are running late, or can't take the at-least 90 minutes it takes for MDR dinner, or just don't feel like eating in the MDR.

Shorts are allowed in the buffet anytime, including evening.

Try the Tutti Salad bar for MDR lunch some sea day. Yummy.

Edited by Jimnbigd