South of France with Avalon.... (June '14) - We've arrived!!

franski

Great report Fran

It was a fun cruise, e really enjoyed it, the 2nd half on the Creativity was just as good. Weather was overcast and a little rain, but lovely and warm now in paris. We finished the remainder of our cruise this morning.

It was nice to meet you all

Deb

Thanks Fran for a great report. On the train trip to Paris did you have your luggage with you or was this transported separately?

Deb, glad to hear you enjoyed your trip what tour did you do in Normandy?

Thanks Fran for a great report. On the train trip to Paris did you have your luggage with you or was this transported separately?

Deb, glad to hear you enjoyed your trip what tour did you do in Normandy?

We did the Taste of Normandy, went to the Bayeau Tapestry, then a very pretty little village for a 4 course lunch with cider, then to a calvados place for tastings and a large slice of the most delicious apple pie..great scenery too. Too much food, but was a lovely day.

We enjoyed hoth stages of our cruise, only 25 passengers from the 1st continued on, so we had almost a whole new shipmof people to meet.

Both ships are almost identical.

The day we boarded the boat (Tuesday) was Canada Day, and the crew had decorated the dining room with red + white balloons, and small Canadian flags. Just before dessert, they played the Canadian national anthem. What a lovely surprise. The Canadians stood and sang, and there were many non-Canadians who stood out of respect. A great start to the cruise.

The next day we did the included walking tour of Arles. Wednesday is also market day so we walked much of the market after the excursion was finished. Bought tapenade, sausage, bread, olives for a picnic on the top deck. We returned to the city after lunch (we wanted to see inside the cathedral) and I found a lovely material store where I purchased some materials to include in a quilt. On the way back to the boat, we stopped at the Monoprix (across the square from the boat) and bought 2 bottles of wine for the picnic!!! I tend to buy by name as I am NOT at all knowledgeable about wines. The Casanova rosé was rather poor, but the other one was OK.

We had connected with East Coast Harley Girl (Rachel) and her husband and we ate with them and another couple (mother and daughter) that evening. Daniel was our waiter and he is amazing so decided that 1st night to stick with his zone.

Fran

We were on the Avalon Expression last year on Canada Day and they had the same decor for the Canadians on board. We also stayed in Aquarium Class and were very pleased. All in all our Danube cruise was excellent. Nothing to complain about.

We did the Taste of Normandy, went to the Bayeau Tapestry, then a very pretty little village for a 4 course lunch with cider, then to a calvados place for tastings and a large slice of the most delicious apple pie..great scenery too. Too much food, but was a lovely day.

We enjoyed hoth stages of our cruise, only 25 passengers from the 1st continued on, so we had almost a whole new shipmof people to meet.

Both ships are almost identical.

Was lunch included in the tour.

How did your Avalon cruise compare with your previous Uniworld ones.

As you have previously done the Seine river, how does the Rhone river compare. Have you any preferences.

Thanks

Hi -

Sorry for the late response... have found that the jet lag is more pronounced as I age. And, did have to go back to work. So - just getting back on this thread.

Avalon vs Uniworld. First off, I will say that for the most part, I have found as many similarities as differences when we have travelled with the different lines. It is often the small details that are the most telling.

Also let me say that I love Uniworld... We have cruised with them 3 times so far, and would happily travel with them again. However, now that they are more "all inclusive" - and have a few very new and "fancy" boats on the rivers, I feel that there price point has risen just enough that they are a bit more than I really want to spend. However - I continue to shop for sales!!!

I was prepared for "less" with Avalon, given the price we paid for this trip, and our previous experiences with Uniworld (and with Scenic - who are also all-inclusive...). However, we did not experience "less" anywhere. The boat is one of the older ones, but it was clean and lovingly maintained. The rooms were generously sized. The included excursions were great - and (as mentioned in another post) they offered the opportunity to do the included tour in the afternoon if your optional was in the morning. Have never had that before. There were lots of little extras (chocolate tasting, cheese tasting, wine tasting) in the lounge. I felt that Jerome (our CM) had everything well organized. Bottom line - would happily travel with them again.

In relation to Seine vs Rhone... that is a hard one. We loved our trip on the Seine (our first river cruise) --> the beaches in Normandy were the draw, and did not disappoint. But - I now understand the allure of the Cote D'Azur. If I won a lottery, I could happily buy property in the south of France.

My advice - to someone who was comparing the itineraries - is to think long and hard about what you want to see along the way - and choose the cruise that gives you more of your "must see" items. If you can swing the time (and money) - do them back to back - as Deb (tassietraveller) and her DH did.

Also - I would look for a trip (if you were starting or ending in Paris) that takes you on the train instead of a bus as you travel from Paris to Beaune or Dijon (or where ever you catch the boat....) I have to think the bus trip would be brutal.

Fran

Edited by franski

Great report. This sounds like a trip I would enjoy. But it did seem that it rained an awful lot. Is this typical for this time of year from what you can tell or is this just bad weather luck?

Looking back, it seems as if we did get a fair amount of rain, but it didn't really hamper our enjoyment of the trip. When we were in Nice (before the tour started) we often let the rain decide where and when we would eat. And, the weather never steered us wrong!!! :D

I have been to Paris 4 times... twice in July, and twice in late September. Both July trips had cool and rainy weather. And, watching the weather since we have come home, it appears as if they are still having more than their fare share of precipitation.

One thing that DH and I did talk about after this trip is the timing of our vacations. We have decided that we will steer away from June/July/August in the future. We really noticed the large numbers of tourists on this trip - and so think we will stick to May & September in the future. We might do early June - but would aim for first week. Of course - never say never.... I would go back in the summer if I snagged a "smokin' deal"....

Fran

Avalon took care of the luggage. If we wanted to keep small hand luggage, we could do so. But, we would be responsible for it on the train.

Fran

I really enjoyed your detailed trip report. We are taking this exact trip next July on Avalon's Poetry II. I am glad to know about the "repeated" included tours when you decide to take an optional tour.

Our favorite part of European river cruising is being able to walk off the boat right into the town.

What airline did you fly to get to Nice? I am not sure I want to fly to Paris CDG and then catch a plane to Nice.

I really enjoyed your detailed trip report. We are taking this exact trip next July on Avalon's Poetry II. I am glad to know about the "repeated" included tours when you decide to take an optional tour.

Our favorite part of European river cruising is being able to walk off the boat right into the town.

What airline did you fly to get to Nice? I am not sure I want to fly to Paris CDG and then catch a plane to Nice.

We flew KLM through Amsterdam - then directly home from Paris on Air France. It worked out really well for us.

Fran

Hi Franski,

Did you try the optional Avalon casual dinner in the lounge. Was this offered?. Also, did they offer a barbecue on deck during your cruise.

Thanks for your report. Am planning on doing Grand France next.

Just got our documents for our first cruise. Amsterdam to Budapest 17th August on Apt/AmaReina.

Thanks

Marie

Hi Franski,

Just reread your report and you did mention the barbecues on deck and the casual lunches in the lounge.

Just curious about the casual dinners offered in the lounge.

Thanks

I don't recall any casual dinners in the lounge. Just lunch.

Fran

I don't recall any casual dinners in the lounge. Just lunch.

Fran

No there werent any Fran, but I think its now being offered on the Rhine and Danube cruises.

We didnt have a skydeck grill on the northern France half, weather wasnt that good for it and times that it was fine there were low bridges.

Weather was alot better in the south than the north Fran, then from the day the cruise finished Paris was really warm , about 27c to 29c for the rest of our days there! :)

No there werent any Fran, but I think its now being offered on the Rhine and Danube cruises.

We didnt have a skydeck grill on the northern France half, weather wasnt that good for it and times that it was fine there were low bridges.

Weather was alot better in the south than the north Fran, then from the day the cruise finished Paris was really warm , about 27c to 29c for the rest of our days there! :)

Glen and I were wondering how you made out... the weather was disappointing in Paris --> so we were hoping your trip was better weather wise.

Are you home yet??

Fran

Glen and I were wondering how you made out... the weather was disappointing in Paris --> so we were hoping your trip was better weather wise.

Are you home yet??

Fran

Hi Fran, we were very lucky with the weather in both Paris and London, both mid to high 20's. We arrived home about 3 hours ago, took 60.5 hours to get home from Heathrow..our flight London to Dubai was cancelled, they put us up at the Radisson hotel, then we went to Dubai the next day, there was a 10 hour wait in Dubai, so they put us up in another hotel there. They had to find beds for almost 500 people, a full A380 plane, at Heathrow, you can imagine the queues we were in all the time!

Had an absolutely fantastic time.

Hi Fran, we were very lucky with the weather in both Paris and London, both mid to high 20's. We arrived home about 3 hours ago, took 60.5 hours to get home from Heathrow..our flight London to Dubai was cancelled, they put us up at the Radisson hotel, then we went to Dubai the next day, there was a 10 hour wait in Dubai, so they put us up in another hotel there. They had to find beds for almost 500 people, a full A380 plane, at Heathrow, you can imagine the queues we were in all the time!

Had an absolutely fantastic time.

Wow - 60 hours of travelling... and you are still functioning!! I am so impressed.

We also had a fantastic time. Reality shock when I had to go back to work. But - am already thinking about the next holiday!! And the next... and so on. :D

Great to meet you and Chris - hopefully our paths will cross again in the future.

Fran

• 1 month later...

Just wondered if Avalon uses the QuietVox system for excursions. Just returned from Apt/Amawaterways cruise (which was fantastic) , which used this system. Our next cruise will be Grand France with Avalon so I hoped they also would be using this system. No more crowding around the tour quide to listen to commentary.

Just wondered if Avalon uses the QuietVox system for excursions. Just returned from Apt/Amawaterways cruise (which was fantastic) , which used this system. Our next cruise will be Grand France with Avalon so I hoped they also would be using this system. No more crowding around the tour quide to listen to commentary.

Yes they do, so much easier to just be able to wander off and still hear the guide, we did the Grand France cruise in July