Main Dining Room Dress Code

TheDivineMrsM

I think I understand what's considered acceptable in terms of what to wear and what not to wear in the Main Dining Room. Just one more question on that, tho, which is on the nights not considered formal or 'smart casual', are jeans an acceptable option to wear?

I think I understand what's considered acceptable in terms of what to wear and what not to wear in the Main Dining Room. Just one more question on that, tho, which is on the nights not considered formal or 'smart casual', are jeans an acceptable option to wear?

It depends upon the ship's/line's "dress code". On NCL or Carnival - probably likely; on Cunard - most probably not likely. Make it part of your cruise preparation to find out - and then decide if you want to comply.

It doesn't depend on the cruiseline....jeans are nothing but denim pants. They are fine on casual nights.

I thought there were some cruise lines that don't allow jeans in the MDRs for dinner? :confused:

I know on some it's fine (like DCL), but I believe I've read that some others still don't allow jeans for dinner. And even DCL doesn't allow jeans for dinner in the extra pay venues.

Edited by Shmoo here

It doesn't depend on the cruiseline....jeans are nothing but denim pants. They are fine on casual nights.

Dress code DOES depend on the cruise line - jeans may be part of casual night dress code, but each line DOES specify dress categories like formal, or informal, casual, resort casual, etc. and they DO specify what is expected on such evenings.

Yes, we're cruising on Royal Caribbean International to the Bahamas for 8 days. My son and I have more dress clothes than my husband, and I wondered if he might fill out more of the wardrobe requirements by packing a pair of jeans for a couple nights in the MDR.

Check w your specific cruise line.

DON

Yes, we're cruising on Royal Caribbean International to the Bahamas for 8 days. My son and I have more dress clothes than my husband, and I wondered if he might fill out more of the wardrobe requirements by packing a pair of jeans for a couple nights in the MDR.

Jeans in the main dining room on RCCL on non formal nights, is totally acceptable. Have a wonderful time.:)

Edited by champagne123
xzz

Smart & casual is not jeans.......

We are first time cruisers, and just trying to get to grips with the dress code. Just want to check if polo shirts, with collars, are acceptable with trousers for casual evening dress? Or do you have to wear 'proper' shirts? Also, for the formal evenings, does it have to be a tux/dinner jacket suit or would a linen suit and shirt be acceptable? Many thanks :)

We are first time cruisers, and just trying to get to grips with the dress code. Just want to check if polo shirts, with collars, are acceptable with trousers for casual evening dress? Or do you have to wear 'proper' shirts? Also, for the formal evenings, does it have to be a tux/dinner jacket suit or would a linen suit and shirt be acceptable? Many thanks :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Seems your are going to be on Noordam which is a Holland America ship.

Yes, a polo shirt and trousers are absolutely fine for casual evening dress.

For formal evenings a suit and tie are perfectly fine.

LuLu

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Seems your are going to be on Noordam which is a Holland America ship.

Yes, a polo shirt and trousers are absolutely fine for casual evening dress.

For formal evenings a suit and tie are perfectly fine.

LuLu

That's great! Yes it is the Noordam. Thanks for getting back so quickly! I can relax now! Just my wardrobe to organise now the hubby's sorted! :)

That's great! Yes it is the Noordam. Thanks for getting back so quickly! I can relax now! Just my wardrobe to organise now the hubby's sorted! :)

Just remember that the Holland website, just as other cruise line ones, will have a FAQ section that will have a lot of info for you.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

HAL is not as formal as it used to be.

On smart casual nights DH wears golf shirts and slacks. DH retired his tuxedo to the back of the closet after we did a long cruise and hardly anyone dressed up. He now wears either a suit or a sports jacket with tie.

Since I use a walker/rollator, I had to give up wearing floor length skirts. In fact many women now wear just cocktail dresses or fancy pants and tops on formal nights.

Jeans are common on any RCCL ship, any month on any route. Smart Casual has been dead for two decades. I like the cool cotton feel of jeans in a cooler theatre venue after supper.

Also, many change into shorts after dinner as they are allowed all over the ship.

Have a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Depending on where you are from and your attitude toward commoners ( from the brits), you'll find all different kinds of opinions. I just saw a suggested dress on a Navigator compass that said casual or caribbean, whatever that means, in the MDR. Bottom line is be clean and wear whatever makes you comfortable.