Public pianos - Eclipse?

CherishBritta

I understand that there are no doubt pianos on the ship, but I was wondering if they were accessible to the public? They must be on stages/in lounges for performers, but are they cordoned off? If there are pianos available for passengers to play on the Eclipse, where are they (lounge names). Thanks! :)

I understand that there are no doubt pianos on the ship, but I was wondering if they were accessible to the public? They must be on stages/in lounges for performers, but are they cordoned off? If there are pianos available for passengers to play on the Eclipse, where are they (lounge names). Thanks! :)

First, welcome to Cruise Critic. There are some pianos that are in open, public areas. One is outside Murano. However, this is a lounge area where trivia is often held. People may and do object to people practicing in a public space. There was a thread on this topic last week. I've walked through the area and have seen some practicing, some quite good, some rather loud and annoying. Believe there is also a piano in Sky Lounge, but they often hold events there during the day.

Be prepared for what may follow on this thread.

As all lounges are in use throughout the day Im not sure X, or many passengers, would be happy about other passengers using their pianos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Once upon a time there were a couple of pianos in out of the way places on some ships but no more. And where you do find pianos, you will probably also find that the shipboard entertainers have them set up for their use. So, no, there really aren't pianos available to passengers on a general basis.

One day we seen someone playing around on a piano in a lounge. He didn't sound very good and I thought he was either tuning it or really didn't know how to play. That night in the theater it turned out to be the featured guest entertainer. Apparently he was fine tuning something or maybe composing, he was a decent pianist.

Cruise on 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Unless you can show that you can play at least as well as the professionals on board, you should not be playing a ship's piano. Even then, you should not. Some times passengers like peace and quiet w/o public music.

DON

We've seen little signs on the pianos telling passengers it's not for public use. Most times, the places where pianos are located are either where group activities are held or in places where people sit and read and want a quiet time.

I haven't sailed with Celebrity yet (97days to go :D) ) but it's a little know fact that on Royal Caribbean ships, the piano in the Viking Crown Lounge (the bar on the uppermost deck) is able to be used by passengers. I usually head up there early in the morning (5.30am - I'm a fowl, not an owl!) so I don't disturb anyone with my "plonking". The bar doesn't start selling drinks until sometime in the afternoon but it's often used during the morning as a quiet space for those wanting to read.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If there are pianos available for passengers to play on the Eclipse, where are they. Thanks! :)

There is a piano in the Penthouse. Just book the Penthouse. Problem solved. ;)

I say if you see a piano and it isn't roped off or has no sign not to use it, go for it.

You'll never please all the people all the time. I find the trivia games annoying in the sky lounge yet tolerate them, some may find the piano annoying, they can tolerate it or move to another location. I find the harpist over the top so I leave the ensemble lounge for another venue when she starts up.

It's YOUR vacation, enjoy yourself as you see fit until or unless a ship board official (i.e not another passenger) asks you to do otherwise.

I'd find your piano playing annoying probably no matter how good you are, and relocate myself, as I would realize moving the piano is more difficult than moving my butt. :-) Then there are others who will appreciate your piano playing too. Just read thread after thread of people miffed about the lack of live music.

Edited by cle-guy

Just imagine 50 passengers, all practicing their favorite instrument, in various parts of the ship! Boggles the mind, and would make the Cruise Director a very unhappy person. If somebody does want to practice playing the Piano (or any other instrument) the appropriate protocol is to politely ask the Cruise Director who will most likely give you a very polite NO! However, if they have a passenger talent show on your cruise you can use that as leverage to get permission to play....but the CD will usually tell you where and when.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The OP was asking about playing pianos, not practicing playing a piano - these two topics could be miles apart depending on the person. It was also never suggested that people et al would bring their instruments onboard and attempt to practice or play them all over the ship. Please, guys, let's keep the parameters of the answers within the realm of the question.:)

My opinion is that if someone onboard is a proficient musician and would enjoy playing an instrument, he/she should strike up a conversation with the performer playing said instrument and ask their permission to play the instrument in their absence and ask what the protocol is. That seems to satisfy manners, and rules, and does not unduly disturb others.

Just imagine 50 passengers, all practicing their favorite instrument, in various parts of the ship! Boggles the mind, and would make the Cruise Director a very unhappy person. If somebody does want to practice playing the Piano (or any other instrument) the appropriate protocol is to politely ask the Cruise Director who will most likely give you a very polite NO! However, if they have a passenger talent show on your cruise you can use that as leverage to get permission to play....but the CD will usually tell you where and when.

Hank

Luckily this won't happen. They don't have 50 pianos laying around, nor are there trumpets, tubas, flutes, guitars or triangles laying all around in the non-theatre spaces. So most you'd have is maybe 2 people on different floors at one time playing the piano.

Though I have seen people bring guitars on and play them in public spaces.

If it were a problem, the CD could easily rope the piano(s) off or place a sign reminding guests not to use them the very first time it became an issue and thus save the CD from becoming a very unhappy person.

I have no idea if they do or don't sign or rope them, but lacking rope or sign, seems to give the AOK to me.

To each their own though.

Edited by cle-guy

Saw this post before I did a day tour of Eclipse today. If you click the link in my sig below I've posted a pic of a piano everywhere I saw one..... I did ask about guests playing one and got the distinct impression from the response that it wasn't especially welcome.

While were on the topic of what is allowed,my eleven grandchildren are incredibly talented.

Four are synchronized swimmers, two are college scholarship fencers,four are tag team wrestlers,and one is a lion tamer. I'm sure no one would mind if they practiced their arts on board,would they ?

Also you're probably saying ,how are you going to get that lion on the ship? No problem. My granddaughter has tamed Leo so well that he now serves as a therapy lion for my 104 year old mother, and will be with her for his sixth cruise.First on Celebrity...he usually does Carnival.

Edited by drfun48

Though I have seen people bring guitars on and play them in public spaces.

I would object to that also. What if I decided to play my chanter (look it up) in public places. I have as much right to play that as does the bloke w the guitar.

DON

I would object to that also. What if I decided to play my chanter (look it up) in public places. I have as much right to play that as does the bloke w the guitar.

DON

It's your crusie, enjoy yourself! Some people enjoy the bagpipes. I wear a kilt to formal dinner as a matter of fact :D

I imagine the piano player won't play it incessantly 24/7 much like I'd imagine you wouldn't do the chanter for more than a few minutes each day.

While were on the topic of what is allowed,my eleven grandchildren are incredibly talented.

Four are synchronized swimmers, two are college scholarship fencers,four are tag team wrestlers,and one is a lion tamer. I'm sure no one would mind if they practiced their arts on board,would they ?

Also you're probably saying ,how are you going to get that lion on the ship? No problem. My granddaughter has tamed Leo so well that he now serves as a therapy lion for my 104 year old mother, and will be with her for his sixth cruise.First on Celebrity...he usually does Carnival.

The swimmers can do as they please. I'd love to watch their show from the deck above the pool, heck they are testing such things with "Liquid Nightclub" now on certain ships one night each cruise!

The fencers would not be allowed to bring their equipment aboard as they violate the "whats allowed" policy for security purposes, unless the blades are less than 2" long.

The wrestlers can do as they wish in the gym.

The lion tamer, as long as the doctor has certified the animal with paperwork (only dogs and mini horses are exempt from proper doctor's paperwork) then bring it on! I bet Leo is really cute as long as he's fed regularly. But book him an appointment in the spa on embarkation to get his mane all prettied up for the cruise, and maybe a pedicure would be in order as well.

Perhaps they should allow people to practice only on M Class ships. The CD could gather up the best of the best and form a band that could provide real music at the shows. Almost anything would be better than the soundtracks they now use.

Saw this post before I did a day tour of Eclipse today. If you click the link in my sig below I've posted a pic of a piano everywhere I saw one..... I did ask about guests playing one and got the distinct impression from the response that it wasn't especially welcome.

Yeah I saw that thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Will the Lion eat in the buffet or MDR and what happens on Formal nights? The wrestlers will possibly have an issue bouncing off the ships rails and will eventually go overboard and the swimmers ...will the make up be allowed in the pool (there may be an allergy issue)also why do such people smile so,,,what are they doing in that pool!! The fencers ..where will they get the timber, or wire?

I am thinking of taking my dead parrot (who did play bagpipes) .. but am taking two enthusiastic musicians....no I will not let them and neither would they think of doing so, practice in my stateroom,cabin,suit. However a quiet lounge maybe if it did not bother anyone.

Edited by TheBeeSea

Will the Lion eat in the buffet or MDR and what happens on Formal nights?

Owners of service animals are required to bring enough food for their animal to survive the trip at their own expense 0 they may not be fed from the dining rooms or buffet. Celebrity will even refrigerate the food if needed. I wonder how much food a lion eats in a day. The bigger questions, is how does the lion "do his business" after eating? Again, the owner is required to handle that situation though Celebrity will provide a space in a non-public room for this purpose, even bringing in a patch of sod if the Lion prefers sod to mulch for these purposes.

Celebrity can be quite accommodating.