Does Princess have trays in the buffet?

Faircliff

As a solo diner, unless I bring a beach bag or a book or something personal to hold my space, when there is no tray, and I get up to get desert, my spot is gone! Even lost a paperback once - staff thought I had forgotten it and cleared my table.

1/2 of something still not eaten, does not work - again - just think I did not want it.

If I could get a tray, I could take all my meal at once! And, I love to take my food outside to eat anywhere I can, not a great fan of the noise level in the buffet. Must say, it does make me eat and run, not my fav place to sit and enjoy a second cuppa.

As a solo diner, unless I bring a beach bag or a book or something personal to hold my space, when there is no tray, and I get up to get desert, my spot is gone! Even lost a paperback once - staff thought I had forgotten it and cleared my table.

1/2 of something still not eaten, does not work - again - just think I did not want it...

I wonder if a large handwritten note left on the table saying you are not finished yet would work?

Of course you could always spread a beach towel across the table like a lounge chair hog ;).

Edited by Ryndam2002

I'm also a solo diner and know what you mean about overly zealous table cleaning. I haven't had the issue so much on Princess but I have on another line.

I do love the large platters on Princess. I can pile on my entire breakfast, which usually consists of large variety of fresh fruit, cheese, salmon, yogurt and a danish or fruit bread. I don't worry about juice or a drink because the waiter brings that and often someone takes my platter and finds me a seat (at least on the first day). I may grab an apple or banana to bring back to my cabin, or a glass of iced tea, but I never get a meal to bring back. But that's just me. I understand those who do or bring back for others.

I did have a bit of a difficulty on HAL on my last trip, because they don't have the platters, or the trays. I remember the hue and cry when they first announced they were discontinuing them. Somehow, everyone adapted, one way or another, and life is happy again.

Never thought of the beach towel! Now, we will see them around the tables too!

And tipping a chair may deter someone taking your table, the waite staff are not american, and it does not mean anthing to them! They just straighten and clear!

Love to sit quiet on the outside of the promenade deck in a lounge chair with my lunch, peacefull, quiet, and lovely view!

And, I sometimes bring it back to my balcony. And before I get told again, you can order breakfast, the selection is very limited, and you have to know what time you will want to get up - I do that if I have a shore excursion, but if it is a sea day, just like to lay in a bit for a change, and not set an alarm.

And then get a tiny bit of many different things, and lots of fruit. Guess I should take my beach bag to hold the banana, apple, hard to put hash browns and smoked salamon in there though.

The Horizon Court gets really crowded at times. Imagine how many trays would be dumping their contents from bumping into people. It would be a disaster. I personally don't find them necessary as the dishes are large and beverage service comes around to the tables often enough.

And before I get told again, you can order breakfast, the selection is very limited, and you have to know what time you will want to get up - I do that if I have a shore excursion, but if it is a sea day, just like to lay in a bit for a change, and not set an alarm.

You really don't need to know what time you will want to get up. We just call room service when we wake up and place our order and many times we have been able to get items not on the breakfast menu:)

You so don't need a tray in the buffet. Servers bring you your napkin/with a fork and knife and serve you your beverage. :)

Noticed they were extremely helpful to those with mobility issues.

LuLu

We cruised twice with our disabled son. (He was in his mid 30's.) We helped him at the buffet most times but other times - especially when he was in the buffet without us - Princess staff was happy to assist. He didn't have to ask for their assistance - it was readily volunteered.

We cruised twice with our disabled son. (He was in his mid 30's.) We helped him at the buffet most times but other times - especially when he was in the buffet without us - Princess staff was happy to assist. He didn't have to ask for their assistance - it was readily volunteered.

They are eager to help. ;)

I waa managing a large Princess ship when the US Public Health Service advised us to remove trays from the Lido food service areas. Research had proven that commercial dishwashers were incapable of adequately cleaning them. They had become a source of Norovirus infection.

After removing the trays, we immediately noticed other benefits.

The amount of food waste dropped by 2 tons per day.

The number of frivolous lawsuits from people who spilled food from the over-loaded trays, then slipped on the food and fell down, was reduced by 50%.

Passenger ratings for buffet food went up significantly - even though we had changed nothing about the food.

The lazy people who previously loaded their trays with a cold appetizer, hot soup, cold salad, hot main course, and frozen dessert, were not happy when they finally got to their table to discover that the cold appetizer was warm, the hot soup was cold, the cold salad was warm, the hot main course was cold, and the frozen dessert was melted.

Without the trays they had to make several trips to the bufet, forcing them to eat the food at temperature they were designed to be eaten at.

Never thought of the beach towel! Now, we will see them around the tables too!

And tipping a chair may deter someone taking your table, the waite staff are not american, and it does not mean anthing to them! They just straighten and clear!

Love to sit quiet on the outside of the promenade deck in a lounge chair with my lunch, peacefull, quiet, and lovely view!

And, I sometimes bring it back to my balcony. And before I get told again, you can order breakfast, the selection is very limited, and you have to know what time you will want to get up - I do that if I have a shore excursion, but if it is a sea day, just like to lay in a bit for a change, and not set an alarm.

And then get a tiny bit of many different things, and lots of fruit. Guess I should take my beach bag to hold the banana, apple, hard to put hash browns and smoked salamon in there though.

It would still be nice if a small tray (I'm not talking necessarily about "cafeteria" size) that had a nice flat service so you can put a beverage on it as well as a plate of food, a small plate for salad or a roll, and the silverware roll) was available for those taking food out of the Horizon to the Explorer's, the pool area, cabin,etc. The platter can be awkward if you want to take more than food -- you risk your napkin getting in the food and it's not great for also holding a glass of lemonade.

But I would love it if the table clearing issue can be addressed for those who are dining alone. I have gotten up to get something quick -- maybe a pat of butter that I forgot -- and find my plate missing when I return just a few minutes later.

I waa managing a large Princess ship when the US Public Health Service advised us to remove trays from the Lido food service areas. Research had proven that commercial dishwashers were incapable of adequately cleaning them. They had become a source of Norovirus infection.

Why can't a tray be designed to work with the dishwasher or vice versa? That sounds like a weak reason to remove all trays.

I remember this from my sanitation days. A lot of the materials that are light and durable enough to be used as a tray (as opposed to a plate) either do not hold up well to commercial dishwashing, which raises one set of issues, or has a larger surface area than most washing arms can cover, different set of issues.

BTW, those plastic fast food trays? In most cases, you should be REALLY thankful for the paper liner. And the size issue still applies, even trays of those size would only hold one plate and maybe a cup or small bowl.

Why can't a tray be designed to work with the dishwasher or vice versa? That sounds like a weak reason to remove all trays.

...BTW, those plastic fast food trays? In most cases, you should be REALLY thankful for the paper liner...

A bit OT--I usually order fast food ''to go" even if I plan to dine in so it goes in a clean paper bag instead of a tray. I've seen some places wipe out the plastic trays with a dirty rag before reusing them!

Back on-topic. I suspected Noro may have played a role in the disappearance of the trays. I used to place my clean utensils directly onto the dinner plate, rather than onto a possibly dirty tray anyway.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Without the trays they had to make several trips to the buffet, forcing them to eat the food at temperature they were designed to be eaten at.

And also meant the buffet food service area was several times as crowded since the people had to go through there several times instead of just one time.

And after visit one, unless you have a sanitizer, it becomes a potential noro vector (among other things)...

Just saying..

We order room service and hang onto a tray for that very reason.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And also meant the buffet food service area was several times as crowded since the people had to go through there several times instead of just one time.

But they spend less time there for each trip, since they are only getting one thing. And on ships (like Star) with updated buffet layout, you don't have to go back to the main buffet area for dessert. :D

But they spend less time there for each trip, since they are only getting one thing.

But if there is a line of people waiting to get in (and there often is), the returning person becomes a part of that line and adds to the wait for all.

But they spend less time there for each trip, since they are only getting one thing. And on ships (like Star) with updated buffet layout, you don't have to go back to the main buffet area for dessert. :D
But if there is a line of people waiting to get in (and there often is), the returning person becomes a part of that line and adds to the wait for all.

It's merely my experience but I don't often see lines entering the buffet except for when it opens.