Does Princess have trays in the buffet?

Faircliff

Was just over on the Celebrity Forums – I'm cruising with them in August – and there's a discussion about Celebrity having done away with trays in the buffet. Can anyone tell me if this is the same on Princess – especially the Grand – as I will be sailing on her in September? We will have a veranda cabin and I have always in the past enjoyed getting food, either for breakfast or lunch, in the buffet and taking it back to eat on the balcony. Those on Celebrity seem to be taking their own trays and I was wondering if this is something I should consider.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Much better without trays, can you imagine the additional piles of food going in the trash? :(

If I want more I will just go back.

Also if you to bring snacks etc to the cabin use the tray in the cabin on top of the fridge that has the glass's etc on it. ;)

While the plates are big, they do not hold as much as the trays did. If you are getting several different plates/bowls plus beverage, it will be tough

Okay, thanks everyone for your replies. This is why these forums are so helpful. I guess like others I will pop down to the dollar store and find a tray to take along.

Was just over on the Celebrity Forums – I'm cruising with them in August – and there's a discussion about Celebrity having done away with trays in the buffet. Can anyone tell me if this is the same on Princess – especially the Grand – as I will be sailing on her in September? We will have a veranda cabin and I have always in the past enjoyed getting food, either for breakfast or lunch, in the buffet and taking it back to eat on the balcony. Those on Celebrity seem to be taking their own trays and I was wondering if this is something I should consider.

Room service won't work???

If you are going to do it often, as noted, the room service tray is a good option. They may not let you bring your own in, its not foodservice rated most likely (I doubt they will care, but they could)

They used to have trays in the buffet area but eliminated them several years ago.

It is a big cost savings as they do not have to clean and take care of thousands of trays every day.

I'm thinking trays might have been an issue with Noro spread as well. Hard to disinfect that many trays on a regular basis.

Not having trays is a definite incovenience to those with mobility issues who may have to make multiple trips for drinks, desserts, etc., without a tray to carry it all in one trip. Hopefully there is staff to assist those passengers.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Order two different meals/ snacks from room service (about 30 minutes apart).

Eat snacks.

Pile dirty dishes on one tray.

Place 2nd tray on top of refrigerator.

Viola! You now have a tray for your breakfast!

I'm thinking trays might have been an issue with Noro spread as well. Hard to disinfect that many trays on a regular basis.

Not having trays is a definite incovenience to those with mobility issues who may have to make multiple trips for drinks, desserts, etc., without a tray to carry it all in one trip. Hopefully there is staff to assist those passengers.

It's also a big inconvenience to parents who are getting food for themselves and their children. I experienced this on a Holland cruise. Trips through the food line were slow, taking at least ten minutes. Since I could only carry one plate, I had to go through once for my son, then wait all over again for me. By the time I sat down to eat, he was done with his food. It drove me nuts. I almost never eat in the MDR for breakfast, but on that cruise I did. It was the only way to eat together as a family.

He's older now, so that won't happen, but I do like getting all my stuff at one time, not bringing one dish to the table, going back for a drink, or for a cereal bowl. If there are no trays on Ruby next week, I'll try the room service idea.

We actually own some pretty nice Tupperware dinner trays but I don't think I would ever take them onboard. It's extra stuff to pack and to clean. It really never occurred to me. I'm blown away as it is by the amount of food some people stack onto the large platters in HC. The regular plates hold quite a bit of food without having to use the platter.

I guess a tray when getting multiple plates (such as mentioned above by the person who was getting food for a small child) could make sense but I can certainly understand why Princess (and other lines) would want to do away with them.

I'm blown away as it is by the amount of food some people stack onto the large platters in HC.

Some people are pretty adept at getting their 10,000 calories

per day, even without trays.

Again, this is why they have to have (many) chairs without arms.

While the plates are big, they do not hold as much as the trays did. If you are getting several different plates/bowls plus beverage, it will be tough

Much better without trays, can you imagine the additional piles of food going in the trash? :(

Also if you to bring snacks etc to the cabin use the tray in the cabin on top of the fridge that has the glass's etc on it. ;)

My hubby will take that tray on our desk (holding the cans of soda) and use that to make breakfast trays for the girl and I on sea days (he gets up early to get his made to order omelet but understands how we like to sleep in on vacation -- in the past few years, I've been getting my girl to school for a class that started before 7am so he's not begrudging us late mornings -- and then makes us up a tray with various bowls and small plates of fruit, waffle, pastries, bagel, etc. plus a pitiful too small glass of OJ for me). You can't exactly fit more than all of this, plus silverware, plus my OJ on one of those patters. After we finish breakfast, the dirty plates go on the desk to be picked taken care of by the cabin steward and the tray gets hidden until the next day

So it's not always a matter of someone wanting to have a ton of food. Not everyone wants to order through room service, especially from a limited menu. And certainly not anyone would want to come across a bunch of food that was dropped by someone trying to juggle one too many plates in order to eat elsewhere or to bring their cabinmate some food

I'm not interested in over loading a tray of food for myself. I'm not a hog. My adult son is disabled, has dystonia and benign essential tremors and is unable to navigate the buffet on his own. Sometimes there are assistants who volunteer to help, but sometimes it's just me trying to juggle two plates, a bowl of fruit, condiments etc... for the two of us.

Point is taken about the cruise lines eliminating the need to disinfect all those trays. I'll bring some wipes to clean the tray on top of the fridge and take it to the buffet. Thanks for the tip.

A good idea for bringing snacks back to your cabin. While I don't really need a tray if I am eating in the buffet area it would be good to have a tray if I take things back to my cabin.