What keeps you coming back to Oceania?

chrismch

We've booked our first Oceania cruise, 14 days -Caribbean- on the Regatta. I HATE to ask but-- my husband wore his Tommy Bahama shirts to dinner on Regent in the Caribbean. He wears these shirts to our club with silk pants so that says country club casual to me. Or is Elegant casual a sport coat? I always wear tunics or silk shirts and white pants.

Sorry to rock the boat (HA) but we like to fit in and go with the flow!

Debi

What was the question :confused:

Lots of TB shirts on Oceania especially in the Caribbean

Thanks --you answered the question!

Now I just need help for the mountains of NC in a couple of weeks--horse show by day, country club parties by night--WOO HOO!! A packing nightmare! Also off to start a roll call for our cruise! Looking forward to seeing some of you nice normal people there!

What is the average age? Kids (I hope not, but know since it's Easter we may have a few rug rats!)?

Debi

Thanks --you answered the question!

What is the average age? Kids (I hope not, but know since it's Easter we may have a few rug rats!)?

Debi

We found the average to be mid 60's

very few children

I bet there is a roll call already ;)

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

I sail Oceania because I want to eat when I want. Where I want. With who I want. I like the size of the large ships and I love the terrace for dinner eating outside watching the Sun set or leaving port. Just sailed on Crystal and the lack of a casual, non reservation dinner spot was a turn off

Will not go back.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Our reasons:

The staff is excellent; they actually remember you from prior cruises.

Fellow passengers for the most part are interesting and not full of themselves.

Excellent well thought-out itineraries.

Wonderful beds.

1,500 fellow passengers makes for a nice size. Never lines.

No formal nights; I had enough of that during my career.

Good layout of decks.

And, of course, the chance to play Trivia!:)

Our reasons:

The staff is excellent; they actually remember you from prior cruises.

Pam, Sorry for deleting most of your post but I just wanted to address your first sentence.

A couple of years ago we were on Regatta for a Black Sea cruise and were heading down to the gangway on Deck 4 when we ran into the cabin stewardess who'd served us a few years earlier (not sure on which ship but probably an "R" ship), but back then she was working up on Deck 8.

I wasn't surprised that we remembered her, but I WAS surprised that she remembered US! We don't cruise all that often so it's not surprising for us to remember staff who have helped us ... but she'd probably seen hundreds of passengers since we'd sailed with her.

Mura

I wasn't surprised that we remembered her, but I WAS surprised that she remembered US! We don't cruise all that often so it's not surprising for us to remember staff who have helped us ... but she'd probably seen hundreds of passengers since we'd sailed with her.

Mura

I have begun to suspect that all this recognition is somehow orchestrated -- not that it's a bad thing -- in fact, it's quite ingenious. Oceania has our photos on file from past cruises and they let the staff know who is coming back and show photos to remind them what we look like. I know it sounds cynical but on some cruises I find it hard to believe that some staff members know us by name.

I have begun to suspect that all this recognition is somehow orchestrated -- not that it's a bad thing -- in fact, it's quite ingenious. Oceania has our photos on file from past cruises and they let the staff know who is coming back and show photos to remind them what we look like. I know it sounds cynical but on some cruises I find it hard to believe that some staff members know us by name.

Why on earth would a cook go to all the trouble of looking at photo to see that you are onboard again :eek:

Highly unlikely they even have the time never mind the inclination

Lyn

Why on earth would a cook go to all the trouble of looking at photo to see that you are onboard again :eek:

Highly unlikely they even have the time never mind the inclination

Lyn

I am really not talking about cooks as much as cabin stewards, servers, bartenders and of course officers. I think it could be part of the manner in which the staff is "prepared" for each cruise. Not unthinkable IMO and actually a very smart move if it is happening. Repeat cruisers love being recognized by staff -- it's been mentioned over and over on these boards. We do not really know what goes on behind the scenes.

And my suspicions on this front have only be aroused recently when I have been addressed BY NAME. Facial recognition is one thing -- knowing my name is quite another.

Edited by pacheco18

And my suspicions on this front have only be aroused recently when I have been addressed BY NAME. Facial recognition is one thing -- knowing my name is quite another.

Maybe you are just unforgetable ;)

We met a nice fellow that was a pool attendant one yr the next yr he was behind the counter in the Terrace he did remember us names and all

Did he study up on new passengers ...who cares

Lyn

In the case I mentioned, I really doubt it. She was our cabin stewardess in a PH several years earlier. We unexpectedly encountered her down on Deck 4. She certainly was NOT expecting to see us and she recognized us as soon as we recognized her.

Maybe we gave her a good tip? But I doubt it! (Not that we didn't, just that I doubt she would have remembered after several years.)

It's true that many of the crew remember you when they see you again. We are pretty regular passengers but we've rarely had the same cabin crew ... so when someone recognizes us, we're pleased.

Mura

I am really not talking about cooks as much as cabin stewards, servers, bartenders and of course officers. I think it could be part of the manner in which the staff is "prepared" for each cruise. Not unthinkable IMO and actually a very smart move if it is happening. Repeat cruisers love being recognized by staff -- it's been mentioned over and over on these boards. We do not really know what goes on behind the scenes.

Whether you're right or not, it is still a big plus for smaller ships and in particular, Oceania.

I don't want to repeat so many of the previous reasons, but I have to repeat one of Pam's------the beds and just the overall ambiance of the entire ship.......I can't wait until next summer......

Edited by yorkiemomjn

Dining experience, all staff and crew, the ship itself, just about everything. Once you disembark you find yourself counting down the days until you can return. It is an incredible line operated by those who make you part of it right away. You count. That is important. Arusha had it right on.

Edited by spindrift

Now I know lots of you will say it's the wonderful dining experiences, so let's eliminate that option.

What makes you come back?

We've only done two Oceania cruises but if we could afford it, we would only cruise on Oceania.

1) ships are smaller than even the smallest ships on mass market lines.

We prefer the smaller ships.

2) no additional charge for specialty restaurants.

3) no formal nights

4). No assigned dining for anyone. It is easy to get shared seating at dinner.

5) seems so much more elegant

Edited by NMLady

With regards to the original question, we come back because we like it.

We almost never go to the entertainment.

We like the limited smoking as DH has asthma.

Beds and pillows are good.

Everything is clean.

On most cruises the food has been good to excellent. There were a couple of cruises where the food missed the mark but was still ok.

All other things considered we came back.

Currently traveling in Africa on our own and loving it. Cruising and independent travel are two very different things. Writing this overlooking Indian Ocean in Zanzibar. Plotting our return already. ;-). We were planning to book a cruise when the new ones are released but had another wedding sprung on us. So another year off. :-(. But on the bright side that is two down with one to go and he is a boy. Hoping he marries well and they cover the costs!!!!

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have it on authority that they do review the passenger list prior to us boarding.....that's how the magic happens!

Mo

Gosh where to the serving & waitstaff etc... find the time :eek:

no wonder they are tired after all their other duties they have to do

Lyn

I am afraid nothing will ever bring me back to Oceania. Their handling, response and attitude in regards to the understandably necessary changes to the Black Sea cruise I took made it clear to me, that they don't really care whether I am happy or not at a corporate level. Don't get me wrong, the people on the ship were tremendous, but I won't be doing business with them ever again.

As we will be leaving this weekend for our 18th Oceania cruise, there is really nothing I can add to already wonderful things said about Oceania. Sometimes bad things happen, but they happen for a reason. Least year we couldn't tender in two ports on the Marina. Well that first night sailing somewhere in the North Sea, every bar was opened to all passengers for all they could drink gratis!! It was a wonderful gesture. And of course, the food, the service, the beds, the general atmosphere and kindness of the the crew and staff. We will continue to sail on Oceania as long as there are itineraries that we like. Arlene;)

Princess, Holland America and Celebrity.

ROTFL

Jancruz1

It was intended as a flippant comment, but it's also true. Most of our cruising has been on HAL, several on Princess and one on Celebrity. The quality of the product offered by these mass market lines, HAL in particular, is in a steep decline. Commensurate with their mass market model, we found the riff-raff factor to be increasing, and we became very disenchanted. So we tried Oceania for the first time this year and we're back in our element. Aside from the included air problem, which I have covered elsewhere, we found the product to be much, much better in almost all respects, and we're very happy. Including the riff-raff factor ;) .

So what will keep is coming back to O? Princess, HAL and Celebrity if they keep doing what they've been doing for the last few years.