Anyone been on an Alaska cruise?

jml1989

What's the sailing weather like, how sunny is it and how is the UV index? I was just wondering if I'd be able to tan on the deck. Sorry if this is a stupid question. :-P

I know I could take a Carribean cruise instead if I wanted to enjoy the sun but I would like to take the grandparents and I think they would enjoy Alaska more (they don't like hot weather.) So I've already got my mind set on an Alaska cruise and being able to enjoy a tan is just a little bonus. :-)

Anyone been on an Alaska cruise?

Nope. Multiple ships sail there weekly throughout the summer, and they're all empty. :D

For your questions, I'd recommend checking out weather.com and look at statistical history. Then again, since you're in Vancouver (BC I assume),,, you've pretty much got your answer.

When we were in Alaska, it was May and unseasonally warm (70-75 degrees easily in port) with bluebird skies. As a matter of fact, the only rain we saw on that cruise was in Victoria BC :) So I actually saw people sunning on decks while the ship was stopped in port (it was way too windy when the ship was moving, so it was funny - you'd be wearing a parka one day cruising the Hubbard glacier, and then the next day catching a tan while in Skagway!)

I would think that if it got that warm in May - it's definitely possible to catch some "beach" weather if you're there in the summer. Except the weather there is very unpredictable, and you just don't know when it'll be overcast and rainy.

You are not going to get a Caribbean style tan on an Alaskan cruise. You may experience the kind of tan you can get in Vancouver, but you are also not going to have a lot of time for tanning on a cruise where the scenery and wildlife draws you onshore.

What's the sailing weather like, how sunny is it and how is the UV index? I was just wondering if I'd be able to tan on the deck. Sorry if this is a stupid question. :-P

I know I could take a Carribean cruise instead if I wanted to enjoy the sun but I would like to take the grandparents and I think they would enjoy Alaska more (they don't like hot weather.) So I've already got my mind set on an Alaska cruise and being able to enjoy a tan is just a little bonus. :-)

If tanning is the objective you might be disappointed because the weather might prevent you from sitting out too much on the deck. It can get chilly.

Keith

We took an Alaskan cruise--my husband, son (2 1/2 at the time) and me--in June 2011. It was our first (and so far only) cruise and one of our best vacations, and we travel a lot.

Weather was all over the map. Overcast, misty, sunny. Temps stayed between 50 and 70. I slept every night on our balcony in a lounge. Views are amazing. Excursions are unbelievable: helicopter ride to glacier (Skagway), White Pass & Yukon Railway (Skagway), and whale watching (Juneau). There are many more.

Despite the weather, you won't be disappointed. Enjoy!

Tanning would be the luck of the draw weather wise. Weather in Alaska is really variable and you should be prepared for anything.

We were lucky to have great weather for most of the trip. We relaxed on our balcony in shorts and tshirt on embarkation day and the first sea day out of Seattle. It rained in Juneau and was misty and foggy in Sitka. Glacier Bay was another beautiful day but cold. We started out layered up like the Michelan Man and slowly peeled layers off until we were in tshirt and jeans in front of Margery Glacier, then moved under the clouds and layered back up by the time we were at Johns Hopkins Glacier. Ketchikan was beautiful and sunny but cold. Then the last day sailing into Victoria, we sat on the balcony in shorts and tshirt again and debarkation was hot and shorts weather in Seattle. That's rare in Seattle. They're usually rainy, but they were in a drought in Sept 2012. Our balcony was also on the back of the ship facing the wake and we were very protected from the wind there. It was much colder and windy on the side of the ship. I'm not sure I would have been comfortable in shorts there.

The following week, a CC member was in our same cabin and they were rained out most of the week with cancelled excursions and skipped ports. She was pretty disappointed after seeing my pics and review.

We were there last year and the temps were in the 80's for most of the trip. It did rain in Skagway, so the temps were down a little bit (maybe in the mid 70s). Last year was warmer than most years - or so we were told by the locals. I don't remember too many people laying out at the pool, but then again I didn't really go up there because I caught a cold and didn't want to spread my germs.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Sounds like its pretty random, hopefully I'll get lucky and get good weather for suntanning. The grandparents aren't comfortable with flying so this is probably the best choice. I think they'll enjoy the warmish coolish weather!

We went to Alaska On Princess last July 4rth week. It was warm in Vancouver but on the ship you'll be chilly. The pools were pretty much empty of Adults - kids will swim in any weather. I never saw anyone ever in swimsuits sunning themselves. And if you are going to Glacier Bay that is a cold day - like winter cold. I'm from Minnesota so 50 degrees is wonderful to me. But not so much for warmer climate people :) Bring your swimsuit but don't be disappointed if you don't get to use it :)