New P&O ship names

"Interesting choices, but not fresh, vibrant nor contemporary.

I can see Aussies having lots of fun with these names. Reminds me of some of those strange names overseas suppliers give to foreign cars to be sold in Australia.:)"

Indeed, I guess we're fortunate not to have "Pacific Cedric"! :D

Steve.

Edited by Gnomey

I think the reason for the new names could lie in the name of the cruise line

P&O........Plain & Ordinary

I am going to try them next week on a 4 night comedy cruise. I will report back on the experience.

My expectations of the ship and service is low, but I will enjoy myself fully and hope to be surprised.:D

Apparently the names will be announced in the sand at Bondi Beach tomorrow morning at 11:30am. I have it on good authority though, that "Pacific" won't be part of the names and apparently the new ships will be keeping their dark blue hulls. There has also been talk about hull livery for the other ships in the fleet (not sure to what extent). Have to wait and see, I guess. :)

With the announcement now made your "good authority is perhaps not as reliable as first thought".

It can be dangerous,industry contacts are not necessarily accurate, might be better to wait and see I guess.

I have edited this because on reflection it sounded like a smart alec comment and a little offensive, it was not meant this way simply to say it is best not to rely on other peoples so called insider knowledge

Edited by Wyuna1
Just to clarify

With the announcement now made your "good authority is perhaps not as reliable as first thought".

It can be dangerous,industry contacts are not necessarily accurate, might be better to wait and see I guess.

I have edited this because on reflection it sounded like a smart alec comment and a little offensive, it was not meant this way simply to say it is best not to rely on other peoples so called insider knowledge

Oh, but some of these threads only exist due to speculation and heresay.:rolleyes:

I am going to try them next week on a 4 night comedy cruise. I will report back on the experience.

My expectations of the ship and service is low, but I will enjoy myself fully and hope to be surprised.:D

I think you may well be. They're not incredible standouts, but I find they've upped their standards the past few years, while the US lines have cut theirs...

There's still a difference, but not like chalk and cheese.

I think you may well be. They're not incredible standouts, but I find they've upped their standards the past few years, while the US lines have cut theirs...

There's still a difference, but not like chalk and cheese.

Good to hear but I refuse to raise my expectations just yet. I do not want to be disappointed but would rather be surprised that it was better than expected.:p

Edited by MicCanberra

Of course. If you go in expecting things to be worse though, that can also be a trap!

I am not expecting bad service, just average to good service. The cruise itself is what you make of it, and I intend to have a great cruise no matter how the ship or the service may be.:D

She's a business development manager for P&O so I trust what she says. She mentioned the name Aria to me and said they were talking about seriously losing the Pacific from the names. So we almost had ships just named Eden and Aria. The reasoning behind that is because they've spent a lot of time and money repositioning the brand from where it was ten years ago (Pacific Star, Sky, Sun, etc) and much like when they changed from Fair Sky, Fair Star Fair Princess, etc, (which were mostly remnants of Sitmar) they see this as the next step in their brand development. As I said, at the eleventh hour, someone has decided that the Pacific part of the name is an important brand distinction like Princess, Carnival, of the Seas, etc.

Well judging by the feedback on PO Australia facebook page they got it totally wrong with the names. Personally, I can't see how the names tie in with the brand or even to resposition it. If anything, they don't relate at all. There not symbolic of NZ or Australia. At a stretch I could say Eden is Eden Park the place where the All Blacks have had many victories. So Aria must be the Aussie one lol cause the only thing it relates to is the ARIA awards.

This is the second competition run by a cruiseline that has fallen flat.

Edited by icat2000

She's a business development manager for P&O so I trust what she says. She mentioned the name Aria to me and said they were talking about seriously losing the Pacific from the names. So we almost had ships just named Eden and Aria. The reasoning behind that is because they've spent a lot of time and money repositioning the brand from where it was ten years ago (Pacific Star, Sky, Sun, etc) and much like when they changed from Fair Sky, Fair Star Fair Princess, etc, (which were mostly remnants of Sitmar) they see this as the next step in their brand development. As I said, at the eleventh hour, someone has decided that the Pacific part of the name is an important brand distinction like Princess, Carnival, of the Seas, etc.

I have to agree with that. With their positioning in the market, and the amount of competition, it would be a significant risk to just have a one word name and lose that part of the brand identity.

However, it would explain how you get the poorly sounding Pacific Eden.

Had they been just one word names, they would have worked a lot better as names.

Edited by The_Big_M

Personally I do not like the names myself. Eden I could understand as besides Eden Park in New Zealand P&O have a new destination on the NSW south coast called Eden. Aria to me is the music awards held each year, and that is was I associate it with. The other thing is the ship going to be based in Asia, by dropping the r and adding an s = Asia.

One thing I hope is P&O will be lifting there game. Besides been expensive (by this I mean not just looking at the cruise fare but the all inclusive package that is what you have to buy on board) and the service levels are a complete let down. I recently went on a weekend trip on Pacific Jewel, and did notice the hugh amount of cost cutting that is currently going on. Maybe these ex HAL ships is going to be marketed to a different segment of the market.