New P&O ship names

Apparently the names will be announced in the sand at Bondi Beach tomorrow morning at 11:30am. I have it on good authority though, that "Pacific" won't be part of the names and apparently the new ships will be keeping their dark blue hulls. There has also been talk about hull livery for the other ships in the fleet (not sure to what extent). Have to wait and see, I guess. :)

They are not NEW P & O ships. As in the past P & O Australia gets all the old hand me downs from elsewhere in the Carnival group. In this case the additions at P & O Australia are hand me downs from Holland America.

They are not NEW P & O ships. As in the past P & O Australia gets all the old hand me downs from elsewhere in the Carnival group. In this case the additions at P & O Australia are hand me downs from Holland America.
Geez, settle down! They've never been P&O ships, so yes, they ARE new P&O ships! :rolleyes:

CEO of Carnival said names are "fresh, vibrant and contemporary".

My dictionary says -

aria - long accompanied song for one voice in opera, oratorio.

eden - Abode of Adam and Eve at their creation; delightful abode; state of supreme happiness.

Interesting choices, but not fresh, vibrant nor contemporary.

I can see Aussies having lots of fun with these names. Reminds me of some of those strange names overseas suppliers give to foreign cars to be sold in Australia.:)

Nevertheless congratulations to the name winners, who won a cruise for 2 each!

More importantly, itineraries and homeports will be announced in the coming weeks.

Wow, I must say that I am a little disappointed in those names. :(

The name Eden is nice, I like it.

The Pacific in front makes sense but I would have preferred in gone.

No comment on Aria, except to say why Aria? How does this fit with anything?:(

Pacific Eden makes sense. With Eden being used as a paradise. The pacific in front of it could just give a location. So it is referring to a paradise in the Pacific.

As does Pacific Aria. Aria is meaning gentle and giving the idea of being relaxing. With pacific just being location again. So being a place of relaxation.

They did well in actually choosing names that are actually different to everyone else. Most ship names are overused in the industry. Also dropping the Pacific tag would make no sense from a business perspective. They are trying to run a brand, the Pacific tag is recognised as a P&O ship.

Pacific Aria name doesn't sound right but its a good name for a ship - uniqiw.

Pacific Eden - I dunno doesn't sound right - I just hope they don't rename the Oasis area of the ship garden of Eden or any other part of the ship - that just sounds too corny.

Ah well the decision has been made. Maybe they will be transitioning all future ships to names such as these which are unique Which is probably for the better I guess.

DW screwed her nose us at both of those names. I asked her what name she would choose. "Pacific... "

Her response was "Ocean"! LOL

I guess you could then say that you were sailing on the Pacific Ocean. :D

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

DW screwed her nose us at both of those names. I asked her what name she would choose. "Pacific... "

Her response was "Ocean"! LOL

I guess you could then say that you were sailing on the Pacific Ocean. :D

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Lol, then they could have used Salmon as well.:p

I'm disappointed with the new names. I hoped they would choose something that reflected the area they are based in, something with an Australia and/or NZ twist. Aria and Eden are OK but very bland and boring.

No comment on Aria, except to say why Aria? How does this fit with anything?:(

Actually, that theme is pretty common in shipping, from Royal Carribbean's first ship to many others.

Also, the name flows well, and you have a whole cruise line with a similar name because of that, Aida.

My only issue with that name is it doesn't tie into much else with the rest of the fleet's names, including the new one, which they'd hinted would be similarly named. Of its own though, it's okay.

My only issue with that name is it doesn't tie into much else with the rest of the fleet's names, including the new one, which they'd hinted would be similarly named. Of its own though, it's okay.

That what I was thinking.:D

I suggested Pacific Ocean and Pacific Island when they announced it... guess they wanted something more distinct!

They could have started a brand new theme and even dropped the 'Pacific' form the name. In any case, the name doesn't affect my decision to cruise on a particular ship. I will see what itineraries they provide and see if they are worth the price to explore further.:D

Interesting! They were apparently leaning towards dropping the Pacific altogether, as mentioned in my original post. I guess they changed their minds at the eleventh hour. It does tie the fleet together I guess. I don't mind them and I'm sure they'll grow on me. Interesting that they chose two winners, one for each ship, rather than a winning set of names as the first suggested.