Fresh Milk?

DaisyUK

Even on Seadream you have to make a special request in advance for fresh milk. Whilst it was provided without question, it's a given that on any cruise line you'll get that nasty long life stuff provided as standard.

As for trying to "mask" it in a cold glass, forget it. I can smell the stuff a mile off. NOTHING can mask the taste of long-life milk. I won't even start on cream.....

However, if some people are happy drinking it that's fine, it's purely a matter of taste I agree....

That's my only gripe about "O" and cruising in general...

Not that I'm demanding....... :D:D:D

Edited by PS Caledonia
typo...

Cunard is no longer a "British" line - it belongs to Carnival! If you want "real British" - builders tea and all that - Fred Olson is the one!

When I sailed on the QE2 in 2005 (and it was part of Carnival already since 1998), it was very "British" - down to the ladies wearing hats and gloves to the high tea. In the Princess Grill I had to wear a suite or jacket AND a tie on 21 out of 22 days - on that other day jacket alone sufficed :D. It being so formal was one of the reasons I never sailed Cunard again.

Thank you Oceania :)

Um........Samuel Cunard was Canadian. :eek:

And Fred. Olsen was Norwegian, but Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines is British owned/headquartered , British run (albeit Norwegian owned), and catering to a 95% British clientele :rolleyes:

And yes.....you can get a great mug of builders ;-)

Edited by LaCroisiereS'amuse

I live in the US, in the state of Illinois, where real milk is illegal. The best we can find in Illinois (unless one has cows) is milk that is (grass fed)cow, vat pasturized but not homonigized. I live near the Indiana state border and was able to go there to pick up my order for fresh milk from cows every two weeks. I could certainly tell the differrence and did this for eight months (until our winter weather was too brutal to drive that far). Now i am back to shopping near home at at least can purchase USDA organic milk or the obove mentioned non-homoginized.

Is this what the OP is referring to?

BTW, i have not noticed milk on O but that was before i read this post and have had the pleasure of tasing "real" milk. I do remember liking O's milkshakes however.

Edited by lyndenfa

I live in the US, in the state of Illinois, where real milk is illegal. The best we can find in Illinois (unless one has cows) is milk that is (grass fed)cow, vat pasturized but not homonigized. I live near the Indiana state border and was able to go there to pick up my order for fresh milk from cows every two weeks. I could certainly tell the differrence and did this for eight months (until our winter weather was too brutal to drive that far). Now i am back to shopping near home at at least can purchase USDA organic milk or the obove mentioned non-homoginized.

Is this what the OP is referring to?

If you google UHT milk you will see what they are talking about

The UHT milk does not need refrigeration it usually comes in a tetra pack

Good for camping or places where refrigeration could be a problem

Lyn

As some post, milk tastes good or milk taste bad, is like so many other things - YYMV depending on where / when you are sailing on O; not just whether or not you are a milk aficionado. I was a big milk drinker. We stopped ordering milk on O because of the UHT milk. For our dairy fix we had to make do with the fabulous milkshakes with ship-made hard ice cream - tough I know.

Because 'cream' came up in this thread I want to mention that for those who enjoy cream in their coffee - beware! Do not ask for cream, especially in the morning. You will get milk. 98.7% of the time that is. Last cruise I forgot first day and asked for cream and got cream - happy. next day, same. next day not and not again. Send it back with request for cream, get milk. Perhaps pre-poured for the waiters on a tray in the kitchen - I have no idea.

I enjoy coffee black and I enjoy coffee with cream but I very much dislike coffee diluted with milk. Milk adds nothing to the flavour or character and turns it grey rather than a rich brown. Black coffee is one beverage. Coffee with cream is another beverage. They are not the same to me. coffee with milk is a third classification; plain water is a good alternative. (yes, a peeve of mine).

So after all that my TIP: if you want cream then ask for 'half and half'. That has never failed me.

One morning in the MDR I explained to the waiter I did not want milk. he was gone a long time so we simply drank it black. By the time he returned he also thoughtfully came with fresh cups of coffee for us. They had no cream available in the MDR service area that morning and he went to Terrace to get some. (Did I mention the wonderful service on O)

Edited by YoHoHo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

In our travelling experience (as Aussies) we felt the milk issue was a cultural one similar to cheese, coffee and even bread preferences.  For months touring the US we had trouble finding fresh milk rather than long-life UHT and bread products that weren't sweeter than our 'usual' variety.  Same with cheeses being processed rather than matured.  All a matter of different tastes I guess.  On three Oceania cruises we never managed to get fresh milk but we're still loyal to them because of the fantastic cuisine.  We sadly have to forego our coffee onboard because of the smell and taste of the UHT milk.

Of most concern though was the coffee.  In a million years vacuum packed 'Illy' coffee will never be anywhere close to freshly roasted and ground beans.  Our Oceania Baristas genuinely believed Illy coffee was the best and UHT milk was fresh milk until I explained the carton label to them.

On a small-ship cruise down the Adriatic we were able to bring our own fresh milk daily but the problem was that the crew of five also liked it much better 🙂

Our impression is that the coffee culture is gradually spreading and taste expectations (read freshness) are becoming more discerning in most countries.  Even the coffee we had in Rome had improved over a four year span and that's where the whole espresso thing started.

35 minutes ago, Allinda said:

e felt the milk issue was a cultural one similar to cheese, coffee and even bread preferences

I love it when someone resurrects a thread many years old. 

If you're saying that Oceania focuses on American tastes and expectations, then I'm sure you're absolutely right. After all Americans form the overwhelming majority of customers, followed some way behind by Canadians. Australians, New Zealanders and Britons are then a long way behind them, so it's not really a surprise that our tastes go pretty much unnoticed. I always think of an Oceania cruise as being just like our trips to America over the decades. 

As for coffee, I'm surprised how quickly the Australian "flat white" has become popular in the UK. Even the American owned chains, like Costa and Starbucks, have it. I never order a cappuccino these days.  

• Thanks 1

Haha, wasn't sure anybody would read my comment after 10 years.  I wonder if any of the writers have changed their opinion on coffee over that time????

21 minutes ago, Harters said:

I love it when someone resurrects a thread many years old. 

If you're saying that Oceania focuses on American tastes and expectations, then I'm sure you're absolutely right. After all Americans form the overwhelming majority of customers, followed some way behind by Canadians. Australians, New Zealanders and Britons are then a long way behind them, so it's not really a surprise that our tastes go pretty much unnoticed. I always think of an Oceania cruise as being just like our trips to America over the decades. 

As for coffee, I'm surprised how quickly the Australian "flat white" has become popular in the UK. Even the American owned chains, like Costa and Starbucks, have it. I never order a cappuccino these days.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Allinda said:

Haha, wasn't sure anybody would read my comment after 10 years.  I wonder if any of the writers have changed their opinion on coffee over that time????

Don’t expect that coffee is better than it used to be 10 years ago. And it’s pretty much the same with the other food offerings. But the food is still nice and we cruise because we’re able to get to the places we like. 

Edited by osandomir
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ORV said:

As an American I had never ever heard of UHT milk until I started cruising. I'm not even sure it's available at our local store. 

I had to google it too, and no, it is not available at my store (in fact, I can drive and see where "my" dairy cows are hard at work), but then neither is processed cheese or mass produced bread (bread is delivered once or twice a day depending on the bakery). I'm thinking the poster must have been shopping at convenience stores instead of grocery stores, although I suppose there are parts of the US that only have Walmarts or the like.

1 hour ago, ORV said:

As an American I had never ever heard of UHT milk until I started cruising. I'm not even sure it's available at our local store. 

We became familiar with it from our visits to French relatives over the years.  When it's cold, I don't mind the taste, but for some reason I don't like it in the hot coffee.  Go figure.

13 hours ago, Allinda said:

UHT milk was fresh milk until I explained the carton label to them.

I wasn't familiar with the term so googled. We used to spend time in Rio de Janeiro and all their milk was at room temp and steri-packed which sounds like UHT. ???  I would think a cruise ship would have little choice but to do that. Am I missing the point here??

Just now, clo said:

I wasn't familiar with the term so googled. We used to spend time in Rio de Janeiro and all their milk was at room temp and steri-packed which sounds like UHT. ???  I would think a cruise ship would have little choice but to do that. Am I missing the point here??

I agree - it is common to find milk in cartons in other countries since many homes do not have fridges or very small ones,  I have not looked but think it is hard to find in the US...

1 minute ago, basor said:

I agree - it is common to find milk in cartons in other countries since many homes do not have fridges or very small ones,  I have not looked but think it is hard to find in the US...

I've not found it either but wish I could. It would be nice, say, when returning from a trip to know that there was milk in the house. I think the Brazilians (and others?) must not drink much milk as it was in one liter boxes.

We have the unusual option of goat milk and raw cows' milk ( in addition to all of the soy, almond, oat, etc. milk alternatives), although there was a recent health issue with the raw milk (go figure). My milk is whole (4% with a cream "stopper" on top) in a glass bottle; no ship's milk is going to compete with that unless they go back to having livestock in the ship's hold 🙂 

• Haha 1