Would you drive 9-10 hours after a cruise?

sierra77

One thing I noticed, that this a 2 day cruise over the labor day weekend. Are you planning on driving down Friday, doing the cruise starting on Saturday which returns on Monday and driving back on Monday.

If so, I personally think you are nuts. If this was a seven day cruise, or you were spending time in Florida for several day before the cruise then this might be do-able.

Enjoying this thread. We live in Plymouth UK, which is about 4 hours non stop drive from Southampton. Some of the distances you have to travel are vast compared to me. We did not drive up to Southampton for our first cruise a few weeks ago. fuel plus parking plus overnight hotel versus free travel on a convenient coach service and an overnight hotel makes for an easy decision. Oh by the way, I drive coaches on the convenient coach services, which means free travel throughout the UK. Our cruise next year from (probably) Port Canavarel will involve an 9-10 hour flight.

Hi everyone,

From your experience after a cruise, do you think we will be too tired after the cruise to drive back from FLL to Atlanta?

Thank you!

We often drive 6 hours after a cruise - since we are able to sleep the night before, it is not a hard drive. You could ask for early disembarkation and you could be off the ship by 8:30-9:00, so you could still be home by 5 or 6.

We have booked a cruise for next year and we will be driving three days there and three days back From Central California to Galveston- I know many would think we are crazy. But we are retired and decided to add a road trip to our cruise. Thought it would be fun to see a little of the US plus enjoy a fabulous cruise.

Enjoy your cruise in September.

I do have to agree. I will never fly when the trip is less than 12 hours by car. And even driving a full sized 4X4 truck, I can still drive it cheaper than I can fly two of us even with gas as high as it is now.

I completely agree! It seems like you can't get reasonable airfare anymore unless you book WAY in advance. I never plan a vacation WAY in advance so that never benefits me! It's definitely cheaper to drive myself than to fly, rent a car, and pay for that gas.

I always try to get a good night's rest the night before and it really doesn't seem that bad to me.

Ashley

I completely agree! It seems like you can't get reasonable airfare anymore unless you book WAY in advance. I never plan a vacation WAY in advance so that never benefits me! It's definitely cheaper to drive myself than to fly, rent a car, and pay for that gas.

I always try to get a good night's rest the night before and it really doesn't seem that bad to me.

Ashley

We compared the estimated expenses to drive to Galveston versus airfare and car rental; the difference was $30. I would take behind the wheel over flying whenever possible. Like others said, we break it down, take rest stops and just enjoy each other and the scenery.

Edited by cruisealot54

Thanks for the information. We've always flown before but Wife and I tentatively decided to drive from North Alabama to FLL for our next cruise.

We live in Northern Alabama too. I actually like being able to stop when I want and stretch my legs/grab a bite to eat. Plus it isn't too bad with someone in the car to talk to! Good luck!

Ashley

I live near Columbia, SC, and always drive home. It takes about 10 hours with stops, and lunch, but I have no problem with it. Just don't over indulge the night before.

Same here (live in Columbia) and we sometimes over indulge the night before. :D

Going down, we are ready to leave so we spend a night or two getting there.

Returning, we are always ready to get home so tend to just keep on driving. :cool:

LuLu

We live in NY and drive back in two days when we leave out of Florida. I prebook a room that will take us about 8-10 hours it get to. The next day we do the bulk of the driving.

But coming home we don't care what time we arrive home.

Going down we spend two nights out so that we stay in a hotel close to the port the night before we sail so we don't have to worry about getting to the ship on time.

Edited by abridalmaven

We did a Norfolk to just north of Philadelphia drive the day after a cruise once. Of course we hung around Norfolk until about 11:30am so it was a LONG day. And I was the only driver as my best friend doesn't like driving in new places! It was absolutely worth doing, because we really didn't want to pay for another night in a hotel and really wanted to see our pets at that point! All in all it wasn't bad!

We have driven several times from Charlotte to FLL and most recently Charlotte to Miami for cruises. You just have to take your time and not be in a rush to get home. We usually make the drive over spring break - one year we hit ALOT of traffic and the GA/SC border which held us up over an hour but we've always made it. Dont get me wrong, it is a long drive - but manageable. We usually have 2 drivers.... Have fun!!!

You know your family - for some just a few hours in a car can be an ordeal, many others travel well together. For many who fly - especially if a change of planes is involved - getting to the airport, hanging around for boarding, changing flights, plus flight time, claiming bags, then getting home from airport ---- flying home is likely to be a ten hour exercise anyway.

Even non-stop flying is a bear -- if we get off the ship at 8:30 or 9:00 at FLL, we will not risk a fight before noon, meaning a noon flight gets us to JFK at 3:00 or so, get our bags, then get to CT by 4:30 at the earliest - minimum 8 hours - more likely 10+.

Sure, it is pleasant to break a trip into two five hour drives, but ten hours is certainly doable.

Hi everyone,

We (family of 12, with the youngest child being 11) are sailing on the Oasis labor day weekend Sat. Aug 30th and returning Monday, September 1st.

According to our 2 day schedule, we will be arriving in FLL at 6:30am.

I'm not sure what time we will need to be off the ship.

We will be driving back to Atl, GA which is about 9-10 hours from FL counting breaks.

Within our family, DH and I are the only drivers.

From your experience after a cruise, do you think we will be too tired after the cruise to drive back from FLL to Atlanta?

Or do you think we will be fine?

Would you do it?

We are newbie cruisers LOL so I don't know what to expect.

Thank you!

How often do you drive 9-10 hours? If 15 hours is okay at another time, then 9-10 isn't too much of a stretch for you. It could be a stretch for the other 10 passengers.

The group must pack, collect luggage from baggage claim, stand in line for customs, then load all luggage into a vehicle (one or two?)

Has your group travelled together previously? The issues above may help you decide.

Enjoy your cruise.

Enjoying this thread. We live in Plymouth UK, which is about 4 hours non stop drive from Southampton. Some of the distances you have to travel are vast compared to me. We did not drive up to Southampton for our first cruise a few weeks ago. fuel plus parking plus overnight hotel versus free travel on a convenient coach service and an overnight hotel makes for an easy decision. Oh by the way, I drive coaches on the convenient coach services, which means free travel throughout the UK. Our cruise next year from (probably) Port Canavarel will involve an 9-10 hour flight.

This post is why those in North America should not be afraid to drive...its a unique experiance and opporunity we have. I have driven cross country in the US before...Cities, deserts, mountains, plains, rivers, the american rest stop....there is so much to see...especially if you get off the interstate.... All of this spread across one nation with no borders...

Half my drive to Port Canaveral (about 5-6 hours) is in Alabama and Georgia and we do it on Highways...not interstates. Amazing countryside to look at....

Edited by Deptacon

We live north of Atlanta and we have done the drive and flown. We will be driving this year and we will drive directly home (with stops) at the end of the cruise. By the time we drive to the airport in Atlanta, we will most likely have been on the road an hour. You need to be there early and you want to take into consideration that in Atlanta, there could be a traffic jam so you leave 1-1/2 - 2 hours before your really need to be there. If you park in the economy lot, add at least 15-20 minutes to get from the lot to the inside to check your luggage and more to get to your gate to check in. We arrive early so add another hour or 2. Prepare for a delay but even if there is not, you are looking at a couple of hours for the flight. When you arrive, you need a taxi, rental car or shuttle to get you to the port/hotel. Add another 30 minutes to square any of this away and finally be on your way to the port. To me, this is just as tiring. At this point, you've been on your way for about 5 hours (probably 5+) by flying..and you aren't there yet...so we just drive. For our next cruise we leave out of Port Canaveral so it's a no brainer for us to drive and we will drive straight home. Miami and FLL are a bit further but I'd still plan on driving straight home. My daughter and SIL lived in Key West for a few years and we drove there almost every time we visited.

We live in West Central Illinois and we always drive. Last year we got off the ship in PC and drove to Clarksville, TN. DH and I drive 2 hour shifts. It works out great. The secret is do not party too hard the last night of the cruise...:)[/quote

Where in West Central Illinois?

We have driven from Quincy to NOLA for a cruise, but stay overnight along the way.

No, I would not drive that distance to cruise or to do anything else for that matter. I hate car trips and would rather stay home than drive long distances.

I fully know many disagree with me. :D

Hi everyone,

We (family of 12, with the youngest child being 11) are sailing on the Oasis labor day weekend Sat. Aug 30th and returning Monday, September 1st.

We will be driving back to Atl, GA which is about 9-10 hours from FL counting breaks.

Would you do it?

Thank you!

Bless you. :)

If you have the energy to look after a family of 12, you'll do just fine with the drive. All things being equal, there is no reason for you to fear it will be beyond you for the drive.

Hope you all have a great time.

Not only would I do it, we will only be half way home when we go through Atlanta on the way home after a cruise originating in Tampa.

Change drivers and don't dilly dally. I will only need about 8 hrs to Atlanta

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did exactly what you're planning after a New Year's cruise in January (e.g., drive from Fort Lauderdale to Atlanta) -- and I drove the whole way.

It wasn't a lot of fun, but there wasn't a good alternative. Because we spent the Christmas holidays with family in Florida, we really needed a car and had to schlep presents in addition to cruise gear. And because my DS had to be back the following day for the start of the new semester, we didn't have an option to break up the drive.

My only suggestions are to self-disembark and get off the ship as early as you possibly can. Otherwise, the lines build up at immigration/customs and you'll lose time. We were among the first 50 or so passengers off the ship and got through the line very quickly.

Because of that, we had time to take a couple of longer "rest" stops along the way.

If you can make the drive in 9-10 hours with some stops, you'd be very lucky. Count on it being more like 11-12 hours.

How are your kids on road trip? Only you know that answer to that question.

I would drive and have done long road trips in the past w my kids and that was before all out electronic baby sitters. My parents did a cross country (NYC - Calif) with my brother and I and everyone survived.

DON

Hi everyone,

Would you do it?

Thank you!

Personally, I would only drive about 4-5 hours, then spend the night at a motel and drive the remainder of the way the following distance.

Personally, I would only drive about 4-5 hours, then spend the night at a motel and drive the remainder of the way the following distance.

I agree completely. Book a hotel half way home and make the trip more pleasant.

Then again I hate long trips. Anything over 4 hours and I fly.

We drive from Ft. Lauderdale to Kingsport, TN, before and after our cruises,which takes around 12 hours each way. Last year we were off the Oasis by about 7:30am and on the road approx an hour later. No problems!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree completely. Book a hotel half way home and make the trip more pleasant.

Then again I hate long trips. Anything over 4 hours and I fly.

I look at it from a different angle: rather than take any flight involving less than two hours in the air you should insider driving. That two hour flight usually means an hour at each end getting to/from airport, at least one hour to check in, plus the roughly one hour "just in case of traffic/delay" - meaning the two hour flight generally eats up six hours total travel time (and that is with a non-stop flight) - think back to your past flights - how long from leaving home to arriving at final destination - or reverse?

I look at it from a different angle: rather than take any flight involving less than two hours in the air you should insider driving. That two hour flight usually means an hour at each end getting to/from airport, at least one hour to check in, plus the roughly one hour "just in case of traffic/delay" - meaning the two hour flight generally eats up six hours total travel time (and that is with a non-stop flight) - think back to your past flights - how long from leaving home to arriving at final destination - or reverse?

The last time we went to NYC, we calculated how long it takes us to fly and how long Amtrak Accela Train would take us. We opted for the Accela )which makes few stops) and in the end it was very pleasant experience and we arrived at our hotel likely 30 - 60 minutes sooner than had we flown. Had we not taken the train, we would have flown. Had we not flown, we wouldn't have gone. :D There are some of us who refuse long car trips. No way; no how.