Malaysian Airlines Flight

Downing of Malaysian Airlines Flight en route from Amsterdam to KL, such a tragedy.

I hope no members of CC have family or friends on that flight. 27 Australians are on the flight. I am currently researching whether friends of mine, who are flying back home from Europe with Malaysian Airlines, were on that flight.

So sad!

This is so sad and chilling. I have often flown MH and done this route a few times as well.

I agree and hope there was no CC family or friends on this flight. Some countries have a lot to answer for!:mad:

Chez

Downing of Malaysian Airlines Flight en route from Amsterdam to KL, such a tragedy.

I hope no members of CC have family or friends on that flight. 27 Australians are on the flight. I am currently researching whether friends of mine, who are flying back home from Europe with Malaysian Airlines, were on that flight.

So sad!

So so sad watching the reports now many many children on board according to reports.A harrowing time for all friends and families of people travelling overseas at the moment trying like you to confirm they are safe. Prayers go out to those who perished and their families.

I just can't understand why or how this happened

It's nothing to do with what's going on there and the transponder clearly shows it as friendly

This is just getting too nasty

May have to rethink my Black Sea trip

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I arrived back from Paris on MH Wednesday night. My daughter is due to fly MH in a few weeks from Toulouse.

Scared for her now, although flying a different route.

Your daughter will be fine, as all airlines will no longer fly that route. You must be shocked to think that you flew that route on Wed though!

Many Aussies will be rethinking their travel plans in that Middle Eastern Region of the Black Sea, Israel and Egypt, etc.

For me personally that kind of news is enough not to fly with that airline ever and to blacklist it for the rest of my life. I have flown with them once back in 2006 from Mumbai to Sydney via KL. Though all flights I have done from 2006 onwards have been exclusively with Qantas.

Nothing to do with the airline being Malaysian, it could have been any aircraft hit. I flew back from London on QANTAS, Airbus A380, QF2, in early May, we flew over the Ukraine, (note: Karateman.) Just a tragic incident, irrespective of the nationality of those on board.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all.

Edited by NSWP

So sad!

Very sad indeed. I hope your friends are safe, MMDown Under.

Scary that Malaysian Airlines have lost two planes in less than six months. :eek:

As progressive and updated news reports come through on this terrible tragedy it seems clear that MH17 was shot down by a long range ground to air missile of Russian origin. There are reports of Separatists having captured an arms depot belonging to Ukraine that contained a number of these missiles and used one of them against the Malaysian airlines aircraft. There are also reports of an intercepted (and recorded) phone conversation between a Separatist and a Russian army major discussing the accidental ???? shooting down of a commercial airliner instead of what they thought was a Ukranian military transport plane. Whatever the circumstances the tragic results are inexcusable.

I feel for Malaysian Airlines with this second tragedy for them. It is also raising the question of whether commercial airliners should be flying anywhere near this dangerous war zone especially with sophisticated ground to air missiles available to people who can only be described as terrorists.

Rest in peace all of the deceased passengers and may all the next of kin, friends and relatives of those now no longer able to come home find some solace in their sad losses.

John

For me personally that kind of news is enough not to fly with that airline ever and to blacklist it for the rest of my life. I have flown with them once back in 2006 from Mumbai to Sydney via KL. Though all flights I have done from 2006 onwards have been exclusively with Qantas.

And Qantas partners with Emirates and flies through the Middle East, another troubled area. :eek:

It is very tragic, though for that particular airline this is a major incident twice this year which is enough to put a lack of confidence idea in my mind when I plan travel.

Though over the years there has been plenty of "accidental" shot down aircraft. It is sad and should not happen. Particularly in this day and age. These modern aircraft have "IFF" systems which squawk out unique signals identifying themselves to others. Also ESM sensors by military have a database on radar signatures which means mistakes are less likely.

As in this case military equipment in the hands of untrained terrorists means nothing for all the safety equipment to identify civilian aircraft.

Even checking out this site gives an indication of where planes are in the air and it is fairly accurate too if you have a good set of optics you can actually read the planes markings as they fly over your house. http://www.flightradar24.com/#-33.61,151.08/8?&_suid=140564740925807077602705398526

Edited by KarateMan

So sad!

very sad.:(

Very very sad news, thoughts and prayers go to the family and friends of the passengers and crew tragically killed onboard the MAS/KLM flight. :(:(

We have flown many times with MAS and have flights booked with them for December to the UK returning on the AMS/KUL route in January....we hold no more fears for our safety than we would on any airline.

Even checking out this site gives an indication of where planes are in the air and it is fairly accurate too if you have a good set of optics you can actually read the planes markings as they fly over your house. http://www.flightradar24.com/#-33.61,151.08/8?&_suid=140564740925807077602705398526

That's really cool. I could hear a plane flying over our place in Lane Cove and was able to identify the flight straight away :)

But this sort of thing could be a two-edged sword. Terrorist groups could pick and choose the airlines they wanted to shoot down :eek:

Sad for the lost and family,scary for all of us that travel by air often but you have to wonder? 2 major airline tragedies both within 6 months of each other both the same major airline and plane type! About the same odds as The pentagons ground to air defence systems being non operational for the first time ever and then being hit by a hijacked plane the defences were made to shield against in the first place.

Edited by fishtaco

That's really cool. I could hear a plane flying over our place in Lane Cove and was able to identify the flight straight away :)

But this sort of thing could be a two-edged sword. Terrorist groups could pick and choose the airlines they wanted to shoot down :eek:

I think the whole idea of it might be for the pilots family and aircrew friends and relatives meeting a plane on arrival as well as passengers.

When you look at the world wide pattern you notice a trend of air corridors of where flights go. There are no commercial flights flying over North Korea and seem to be less over Iran.

America looks like it has more planes in the sky than we have cars on the road!!!!!

Though back to reality with resources like that and assuming these losers with the missile had access to technology as you say with the two edge sword they could easily have been able to identify the commercial flights in their area, rule them out using the process of elimination and identify their real targets.

It looks like airlines are not flying over the region at this stage. Wise to avoid the area.

Scary. We flew back from Europe last week over Baghdad etc. always with the thoughts of what was happening on the ground below.

Have to say though that security in UAE was a bit of a joke, they couldnt get people through the gates fast enough and then suddenly would do spot checks and give you the full rub down. Not very pleasant.

MAS has always provided excellent service in the past.

Edited by cassamanda

MAS! Wrong time, wrong place. No good putting the blame game on MAS, they will probably never recover from this second incident. Terrorist gangs do not discriminate between civilians, or enemy. So many innocent little children have been killed during conflicts between these groups going back years.

I feel that MAS could not have been to blame for this incident, this flight path was deemed safe by the world aviation authorities, even though some airlines and changed their flight paths.

Though back to reality with resources like that and assuming these losers with the missile had access to technology as you say with the two edge sword they could easily have been able to identify the commercial flights in their area, rule them out using the process of elimination and identify their real targets.

Plus, to bought it simply, a lot of those terrorists operating there are little more than thugs, and not the sharpest tools in the shed. They're brutal, but they're not clever.

They only just captured the launcher a short while - a couple of hours if that - before. I wouldn't be surprised if they were just pressing buttons testing out how it worked and launched it at the nearest, massive target.

Edited by The_Big_M