If you skip appetizer

Hi

I don't think service is slow at the MDR but if the waiter have 3 table of 8 people or so and everyone show up I believe it's going to be slow process. If I'm in a table of 4 or 2( depending if I'm with family or not) can I skip appetizer and that way get my main dishes faster?

I know I'm in vacation and there is nowhere to go but at the same time there is so much to do that extra time makes the difference

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi

I don't think service is slow at the MDR but if the waiter have 3 table of 8 people or so and everyone show up I believe it's going to be slow process. If I'm in a table of 4 or 2( depending if I'm with family or not) can I skip appetizer and that way get my main dishes faster?

I know I'm in vacation and there is nowhere to go but at the same time there is so much to do that extra time makes the difference

If the waiter has 3 tables of 8, no big deal. The problem is whether or not those tables come on time. I don't think you can skip appetizer. The main meals aren't cooked yet

Edited by SeaUs

I do not know how much time skipping the appetizer would save you, and all of your table would have to do the same thing. I have never tried that but if you are really pressed for time why not eat at the Windjammer? That way you can control the time. If we had shows close to dinner time, we would tell the waiters and they had us out in plenty of time.

Edited by dacsmom

everyone is served the same course at once so if you skip the appetizer or soup, you will not get your entree until everyone else at the table does

you can ask them to serve the courses faster but you won't necessarily be done much quicker

Have you considered my time dining? Your post suggests you'd be dining with just your party (2-4 of you), and MTD works well for such parties. The chefs prepping/cooking for the MTD guests expect to have different people getting different courses at overlapping times. So, far less likely that the entrees won't be ready when you are. If your party orders only, say, two courses you likely will be out much faster than others. we typically order appetizer, soup, and entree, but not coffee or dessert. We tend to complete our meal more quickly than many others; then we are off for other fun stuff.

You can skip the starter, but if others at your table order it, you won't get your entree until they get theirs.

Worse, if others at your table order multiple appetizers, you won't get your entree until they've finished each of their appetizers serially and then everyone gets their main course.

Hi

If you are at a table for 2, then you'll likely be out in a short manner. We always cruised with a group of 6 to 8, all got wine and full meals. Usually took around 2 hours. Then my wife and I did a table for 2. We were done headed to the desert course in 45 minutes and we didn't skip a course. So we slowed the pace and had coffee after as we had nowhere to go.

So, as others have said, they serve each course to the whole table. But if you are a table for 2 then you'll be at a quick pace. You only have to wait for your tablemate. So no need to worry, you'll likely finish dinner in a reasonably quick time.

Thanks everyone!!

The reason I don't skip MDR is because they don't always have everything that's is offered there in the windjammer and specially strawberry ice cream. I always see chocolate or vanilla but never strawberry ;-(

When I go to the MDR I already know what I want since the menu don't change every year and I also ready it in the afternoon to see what will be served.

My family is lucky enough that I train them well lol. But I don't have control over other passages which I don't critize for not knowing the menu, I also agree even the appetizer is so good that it's hard to skip it lol

Thanks everyone!!

Thanks everyone!!

The reason I don't skip MDR is because they don't always have everything that's is offered there in the windjammer and specially strawberry ice cream. I always see chocolate or vanilla but never strawberry ;-(

When I go to the MDR I already know what I want since the menu don't change every year and I also ready it in the afternoon to see what will be served.

My family is lucky enough that I train them well lol. But I don't have control over other passages which I don't critize for not knowing the menu, I also agree even the appetizer is so good that it's hard to skip it lol

Thanks everyone!!

Good news: Keep looking.

Every now and then there is STRAWBERRY ice cream in the Windjammer!

:)

I'm a fast pace person and dread the thought of a two plus hour meal. My Time Dining is the perfect solution. When we are seated we let the staff know that we have a show booked or otherwise are in a hurry. We get appetizer, entree, and desert. Door to door time is usually under 45 minutes.

• Sent from my screen to yours.

Thanks everyone!!

Where were you when I was growing up? My mom ALWAYS bought Neapolitan ice cream, and we would only eat the chocolate and vanilla parts and throw out the strawberry. :D Why she did it that way, I'll never know.

I get what you are saying, though. I love to end a meal with orange sherbet rather than a traditional dessert. I can only get that in the MDR, and they usually only have it for a few days (and I always have to ask if they have it somewhere if it's not the featured sherbet).

The galley is organized the way that they finish the starters first. By a certain time they start finishing the main course dishes. So even when you skip the starter you have to wait for the galley starting out with the main courses. And your waiter has starters from other tables. He doesn´t only go into the galley to pick up your meal. But he´s getting the plates for several tables at once. So you won´t save any time by skipping the starters.

MTD is organized to serve à la minute. So they produce starters, main courses and desserts all together. There you can save time by not ordering starters (as long as you got a table on your own).

steamboats

Thanks everyone!!

Thanks everyone!!

Oh, do go and enjoy the MDR. For the MDR, one still has options...traditional early, traditional late or MTD....share a large table or request a small one for just your party.

Are you doing MTD or traditional?

everyone is served the same course at once so if you skip the appetizer or soup, you will not get your entree until everyone else at the table does

you can ask them to serve the courses faster but you won't necessarily be done much quicker

Not always true. I've asked the waiter to bring the entrée at the same time as the appetizer is served and have had my request honored . There was no delay.

If the waiter has 3 tables of 8, no big deal. The problem is whether or not those tables come on time. I don't think you can skip appetizer. The main meals aren't cooked yet

Yes you can skip the appetizer and be served the soup/salad /dinner at the same time as everyone is having their appetizer. The waiters aren't always thrilled about it as it throws off their routine but it can be done.

Unless the entrée is a special ordered item the kitchen has begun to preparing entrees prior to the MDR being opened for dinner. The kitchen does not cook to order very meal otherwise dinner most items are actually done ahead of time ,

The kitchen has a separate queue for entrees in which the waiters/asst. waiters just go to pick up how many of each item is needed provide it's not a special order.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Worse, if others at your table order multiple appetizers, you won't get your entree until they've finished each of their appetizers serially and then everyone gets their main course.

No so. You can ask the waiter to bring any part of your dinner even the entrée despite the fact that others are still eating their multiple appetizers.

You do not have to wait for everyone to finish the appetizer or soup to get your entrée. As long as the waiter/asst. waiter has been told at the time of order that you want your entrée served immediately it can be done.