Can passengers in the same room have different disembarkation times?

Vexorg

Me and several friends are booked on an Alaska cruise out of Seattle in September, and I am in the process of figuring out how to get six people to the pier and back. Since a shuttle for six people in both directions is proving rather expensive (and we have at least a couple of cheapskates , what I'm thinking of doing is to have a couple of people drive the passengers and their luggage to the pier, drop them off, then drive home and take a taxi over from there (which will still cost a few bucks, but a lot less than taking everyone that way.) On the way back we'd do the same thing in the opposite direction, which would require having a couple of people disembark the ship before the others, go get the cars, then go back to the pier to pick everyone else up.

To make a long story short, This would mean that we would probably need to have a couple of people have different disembarkation times than the other people in the room. Has anyone ever done this? I don't see why we couldn't do it (although we'd probably have to go down to the purser's desk to sort it out) but I just wanted to make sure before I plan based on this approach.

reading the heading I was going to say its usually based on flight times or post-cruise tours. my last few cruises there has been a table set up in the atrium with staff changing people's disembarkation tags. I've changed mine before, they just switch your tags and you have a different time. you're correct, I think, that its doable with a trip to the purser's desk.

Fortunately there's no flights or post-cruise tours to worry about here (which is one of the nice things about having a cruise port practically in your backyard.) I'm just thinking that the others would probably rather hang out on the ship than sitting at the dock while we go and get the cars.

Sure, you can arrange whatever time you wish to disembark. In general the ships prioritized disembarkation by flight time with those with independent land package or cars to be the last to disembark. But since you want to get off early you can ask for self disembark and be the first off, but you'll need to carry off your own luggage. Your party can just wait on the ship for your return or disembark or wait for you at the terminal. You can coordinate with your friends via cell phones when you are ready to pick them up. Usually they want everyone off at the latest by 10AM so they can get ready for the next batch to board at 11AM.

How about finding someone with a 15 passenger van to take you back and forth? Not that long of a drive. Or else have the cheap skates come up with a plan that they want to pay for. After all it is they who are creating the dilema.

Yes all could get off at different times.
Yup. No reason why you can't all disembark at different times. You'll each receive a disembarkation form to fill out and turn in. Make sure you do it as soon as you can to make sure you get the times you want.

My experience in the King County area- they have a wonderful bus system- I would suggest that you have the cheapskates- to get on the bus schedule internet site- and get a route from their house to the port- they can print schedule for both to and from - pay approx. $4.75- each way and the trip will take between 45 minutes to 2 hours-depending on transfers- but it would be cheap- then you and the others that want a shuttle- just call the Super Shuttle and go to the port "in style"- all of you would get there eventually. and no one needs to stress out about driving back and forth.

You can get off the ship later than the time for your color/number. You just have to be off by the time everyone else is off so they can start boarding the next sailing's passengers.

Seriously, tell the cheapsakes to take the bus (as mentioned by someone above) or tell them they'll just have to wait by the curb. I just wouldn't like to be tied to someone like this for a whole vacation.

You'll each receive a disembarkation form to fill out and turn in.

My wife and I receive just one form for the both of us.

If the people in a cabin are not related (assuming Princess would even know that) will they each get a form or will it still be just one form for everyone in the cabin?

I ride the bus frequently here for commuting, but there's a good chance there will be too much luggage to be practical for riding a bus with (not to mention that they'd have to haul it all from the bus stop, which looks like a bit of a hike to the terminal.) It looks like there are buses from there, but it would be at least two transfers from where they would be leaving from (one if someone gave them a ride to the P&R.)

As far as I'm aware, even if the people in the cabin aren't related, you still only get one disembarkation form.

...But since you want to get off early you can ask for self disembark and be the first off, but you'll need to carry off your own luggage...

Actually, I suppose the drivers could select "self disembark" but tag their luggage like the riders and not carry any luggage off at all, leaving it for the riders to collect in the terminal like normal. For example, a wife who is a driver could self disembark but use the same luggage tags as her rider husband -- she can then be one of the first off the ship without carrying any luggage at all and the husband can collect his and her luggage later in the morning and meet up with her when she returns with the car. (And if there is too much luggage, the riders could always just get a porter.)

I suppose there might be theoretical issues if one of the riders were trying to bring the driver's luggage through customs, but I don't see why that would be a problem for spouses/family members.

Yes, but remember:

The ones that stay behind have to be out of their cabins by 8:00am. They will not be hanging around enjoying the ship. They will be seated with lots of others in one of the lounges, just waiting for their color/number to be called. All must be off the ship by around 9:30 or 10:00. You can't hang around after that.

I would not do what you propose. What's a few more $$$ after paying all that for the cruise?

I am in a financial position to pay for convenience BUT not everyone is. These people may have saved up all year for this lovely vacation and just don't have the extra money. It's not nice to judge them or call them cheapskates which the OP did.

If you like them enough to want to sail with them then work something out that everyone can deal with. Why don't you take a cab home and let one of your friends tag along and then the friend can drive back, doesn't inconvenience you that way, you were wanting to take a cab home anyway.

I am in a financial position to pay for convenience BUT not everyone is. These people may have saved up all year for this lovely vacation and just don't have the extra money. It's not nice to judge them or call them cheapskates which the OP did.

If you like them enough to want to sail with them then work something out that everyone can deal with. Why don't you take a cab home and let one of your friends tag along and then the friend can drive back, doesn't inconvenience you that way, you were wanting to take a cab home anyway.

Seeing that he OP knows more about his traveling partners then we do he may have a very good reason for calling them cheapskates. Who are we do to judge on something we know little about. There are true cheapskates in the world.