Help ! The Suspense is killing me

kruisey

I booked what I could afford not that it would be my choice I wanted to cruise.Decided for the first time ever to book a guarantee.I repeat the suspense is killing me:eek:.Everyday I look to see if I have been assigned for my cruise in October..

How do you folks that always book this way manage this situation?

Do you usually get what you pay for or a slight upgrade.?

You may not get your cabin assignment until you are boarding.

My TA tells her clients to book a guarantee only if you will be happy with that category because that is probably what you will get.

And even that may not work out. We did get an upgrade ... to a cabin where the door faced the area where the elevators are. I can;t tell you the number of times were were disturbed by loud conversation both early and late.

Never again! I now pick my cabin and pay the going rate.

Have done a guarantee many times. You will always get at least what you opted for but may get bumped up, depends to a great degree where you are going and the popularity of that itinerary. Have ended up with my level and have been bumped as far as a suite from an ocean view. The latter was on the day before the cruise as I was flying east.

You may not hear until just a few days before the cruise, remember Princess is trying to maximize its dollars by selling the more expensive rooms if it can. Relax though as I have never yet had to sleep on the deck

I hear you about having to book a guarantee as that is the only category you can afford.

I booked an interior guarantee for my october cruise on the sapphire--the cheapest cabin available as there was no cabins available, only a guarantee. I check for an assignment every few days. I also check to see if the price has gone down. so far it has not and now interiors and ov are sold out.

I usually find out a couple of months before and also usually get an upgrade to a 'better' interior. only once did I not have a cabin until 4 days prior to sailing and that one time I got the category I booked.

the anticipation is half the fun! (okay, maybe not half :))

Edited by cdngrl

My DH & I booked a Guarantee category BF balcony cabin after the final payment deadline. There was a really good sale. It was our 1st time to book a guarantee. The least expensive balconies could only be booked as a guarantee.

We booked the Cruise on June 17th & on the July 3rd we received our BD balcony room assignment, an upgrade to a better location according to Princess :) I still check to see if we are upgraded again, but if not I'm happy.

We leave August 24, 2014 from Seattle to Alaska on the Grand.

I'd book a guarantee again in the future.

You may not get your cabin assignment until you are boarding.

My TA tells her clients to book a guarantee only if you will be happy with that category because that is probably what you will get.

And even that may not work out. We did get an upgrade ... to a cabin where the door faced the area where the elevators are. I can;t tell you the number of times were were disturbed by loud conversation both early and late.

Never again! I now pick my cabin and pay the going rate.

Per above, please make sure you will be happy enough with the guarantee category you book because you most likely will not get an upgrade (except within the category) and when you do it might not be one you want.

If and only IF you are able to deal with this, a guarantee can be a good value.:)

LuLu

I wanted to cruise again.Could only afford an inside.I did have my choice of inside cabins but decided to change to a guarantee in the hopes I got a slight upgrade to the type of cabin I prefer .The area these insides are located are not too far forward or back so if I do not get an upgrade at least I get my cruise although I dislike inside cabins.

Thank you everyone for your responses.:D

Still will check every day to see what I get.

Looking on the bright side if everybody got a lousy cabin that had a guarantee nobody would take the gamble would they?;):)

Looking on the bright side if everybody got a lousy cabin that had a guarantee nobody would take the gamble would they?;):)

The price of a guarantee is still better than the lowest priced cabin within the category.

LuLu

The price of a guarantee is still better than the lowest priced cabin within the category.

LuLu

No, it's not. The price of a guarantee cabin and the price of an assigned cabin in the same category are exactly the same.

When you do receive your assignment you can request a change within the cat. you've been assigned if not happy with your assignment.
If there are cabins within the assigned category available. If you receive your assignment just a few days before the cruise, this may not be a possibility. A couple of times we have not found out our assignment until after we left for the port.

When you do receive your assignment you can request a change within the cat. you've been assigned if not happy with your assignment.

Thanks again for the input everybody:)

This ship is just about fully booked so I doubt very much I would be able to change the category.

I had to choose a guarantee on a cruise end of next year but the category in that one will be OK for me.:)

Booked a BF guarantee last year on an Alaska cruise 5 weeks before the sail date. About 10 days before we sailed we were bumped up to a BA (best Baja balcony). We were VERY pleased!

So the Guarantee Fairy does wave her wand sometimes :D