TA Question & OBC Question

roothy123

Yes, a PH2 automatically gets the Concierge benefit, which is 10% off internet packages, use of special lounge, butler, in room dining served course by course, bottle of champagne, earlier specialty dinner reservations, and some other perks. If you look on Oceania's web site, choose your ship, choose your stateroom category, you can see a list of the benefits.

I booked about a month ago and it was the promo that was on the O website at the time. There is no mention on my O invoice of any OBC, but my TA's invoice has hers noted.

All that is on the O invoice is the price and a section called "Promotional Amenities that lists Concierge Internet Benefit (that I was told was unlimited for the cabin and we could share using one log-in) and "Limited Time Offer/Prepaid Gratuities".

We haven't even sailed on out first O cruise and are already thinking about booking one in 2016. :D

Concierge Internet Benefit (that I was told was unlimited for the cabin and we could share using one log-in) Is a discount for the internet package, not free internet..

Jancruz1

Bob, what you need to find out is if your cruise had the "Your World" promo attached to it. This would have free grats, free unlimited internet and some on board credit.

As others have explained the Concierge level benefit is only 10% off on a package. I do believe your invoice might say that even though you might also have the other promo.

BUT

Unless your invoice says something to the effect of "YOUR WORLD FREE INTERNET (1 GUEST PER STATEROOM)" then you might not have it.

This is a direct copy from my invoice.

Concierge Internet Benefit (that I was told was unlimited for the cabin and we could share using one log-in) Is a discount for the internet package, not free internet..

Jancruz1

My experience on Cruise Critic has taught me to accept the conventional wisdom shared here. I have e-mailed the O rep who booked me but for now I believe it is only a discount. I am really not very concerned as it was not a factor in the decision to book. I probably would not spend more than $100-150 on internet and in the big picture that is negligible.

I do wish I had taken a screen print of the offer details when I was looking on the web site, but that is just because I am now doubting my own memory. I don't think I made this up because it is too different from anything I might have assumed. On the other hand, no experienced O cruisers think it is possible. So either I heard it wrong or the rep just didn't explain it very well. But I am positive I never heard the phrase "10% discount" at any time on any subject.

There are several promo offers out there some with Pre paid Grats + free unlimited internet

the free(included air) & 2 for 1 deal is usually there most of the time

At some point the perks disappear or appear

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ywos/

hard to keep up :D

They do have a package 200 min for $160 if you do not have the free internet deal

Lyn

There are several promo offers out there some with Pre paid Grats + free unlimited internet

the free(included air) & 2 for 1 deal is usually there most of the time

At some point the perks disappear or appear

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ywos/

hard to keep up :D

They do have a package 200 min for $160 if you do not have the free internet deal

Lyn

Thanks, Lyn (nice name by the way, it's our daughter's, too).

I remember being pretty impressed with the offer. Although I have to laugh at the "Brochure Price". Who in the world would ever pay $17,000 per person for an inside cabin for 23 days? :eek:

But the major things I remember is that it was 2 for 1, $4,000 off per cabin, free air and gratuities. It's still more expensive than we are used to paying. The per diem cost on that cruise is about $50/day per person for a smaller cabin (PH2 versus a Celebrity Suite which is about 500 sq feet with balcony compared to 322 for the Insignia). My guess is that it is close to the Vista Suite in size and amenities. (but no free bar set-up).

Still, we are excited to try Oceania even without some of the perks we get on Celebrity based on our Captain's Club status (200 minutes free internet, 2-hour complementary cocktail hour before dinner and two bags of free laundry). Somehow, we'll manage to get by. :rolleyes:

Edited by bob278

Thanks, Lyn (nice name by the way, it's our daughter's, too).

I remember being pretty impressed with the offer. Although I have to laugh at the "Brochure Price". Who in the world would ever pay $17,000 per person for an inside cabin for 23 days? :eek:

But the major things I remember is that it was 2 for 1, $4,000 off per cabin, free air and gratuities. It's still more expensive than we are used to paying. The per diem cost on that cruise is about $50/day per person for a smaller cabin (PH2 versus a Celebrity Suite which is about 500 sq feet with balcony compared to 322 for the Insignia). My guess is that it is close to the Vista Suite in size and amenities. (but no free bar set-up).

Still, we are excited to try Oceania even without some of the perks we get on Celebrity based on our Captain's Club status (200 minutes free internet, 2-hour complementary cocktail hour before dinner and two bags of free laundry). Somehow, we'll manage to get by. :rolleyes:

I hope so ;)

We just get the plain balcony cabin or on the R-ships an oceanview 165sq ft

everyone has different priorities

I would rather spend my $$ on a smaller ship with less people

I am sure you will survive maybe even book another O cruise :D

Enjoy

Lyn

Bob, I have been on Celebrity twice and Oceania a lot more, mostly the small ships, but twice on Marina (1250 or so pax). I really love Oceania and only cruised on Celebrity twice for a short, cheaper getaway. Yes, Oceania is more expensive, but not all that much when you consider all the stuff that you don't have to pay for (air, which can be expensive when you're flying to one Euro city and back from another), specialty restaurants with no extra charge, artist loft if you're on the larger ships (and no, it's not knitting), port-intensive itineraries (you get more for your money, assuming you like sightseeing more than cruising itself), bottled water right at the door to grab when going ashore without having to stop and sign for/purchase it, etc. I hope you like Oceania as much as I do. I hated all the people everywhere, always, on Celebrity (and I was on Summit, small ship) and I wasn't crazy about the inconsistency of the food - some great, some awful. While not important in the grand scheme of things, I also wasn't thrilled at how our stateroom didn't get cleaned until mid-afternoon, and how glasses at the pool deck didn't get picked up until night time, and not having a fridge, just a cooler thingy. Sometimes it's worth a little extra for all the intangibles, and the little things, and that is why my husband and I have decided it's all Oceania from now on....

As to the internet, however, now everyone has got me thinking. My first invoice from O noted free internet; the latest has no mention of it. I'm going to have to check on that - and no, we're not Concierge level (not even close - 160 square foot inside cabin!), so that is not playing into the equation. The blue customized brochure we got for our upcoming cruise does not list anything either, except the shipboard credit our TA gave us. Of course, if I remember correctly, the blue book doesn't necessarily list all freebies, so that doesn't necessarily mean a thing. I will check with our TA Monday and let him figure it out. If nothing else, between what the TA gave me and Oceania gave me for shipboard credit, if necessary I can use $180 for internet and that will make me happy!

Edited by roothy123

Bob, I have been on Celebrity twice and Oceania a lot more, mostly the small ships, but twice on Marina (1250 or so pax). I really love Oceania and only cruised on Celebrity twice for a short, cheaper getaway. Yes, Oceania is more expensive, but not all that much when you consider all the stuff that you don't have to pay for (air, which can be expensive when you're flying to one Euro city and back from another), specialty restaurants with no extra charge, artist loft if you're on the larger ships (and no, it's not knitting), port-intensive itineraries (you get more for your money, assuming you like sightseeing more than cruising itself), bottled water right at the door to grab when going ashore without having to stop and sign for/purchase it, etc. I hope you like Oceania as much as I do. I hated all the people everywhere, always, on Celebrity (and I was on Summit, small ship) and I wasn't crazy about the inconsistency of the food - some great, some awful. While not important in the grand scheme of things, I also wasn't thrilled at how our stateroom didn't get cleaned until mid-afternoon, and how glasses at the pool deck didn't get picked up until night time, and not having a fridge, just a cooler thingy. Sometimes it's worth a little extra for all the intangibles, and the little things, and that is why my husband and I have decided it's all Oceania from now on....

As to the internet, however, now everyone has got me thinking. My first invoice from O noted free internet; the latest has no mention of it. I'm going to have to check on that - and no, we're not Concierge level (not even close - 160 square foot inside cabin!), so that is not playing into the equation. The blue customized brochure we got for our upcoming cruise does not list anything either, except the shipboard credit our TA gave us. Of course, if I remember correctly, the blue book doesn't necessarily list all freebies, so that doesn't necessarily mean a thing. I will check with our TA Monday and let him figure it out. If nothing else, between what the TA gave me and Oceania gave me for shipboard credit, if necessary I can use $180 for internet and that will make me happy!

Thanks for the analysis. If all I look at is the cost per day, I could never justify sailing with Oceania over Celebrity. Because we are at a high level in the Captain's Club we each get two bags of free wash/dry/fold laundry, 200 minutes of free internet and a daily complimentary pre-dinner cocktail party. All of those are things that add cost to Oceania in addition to the higher tariff. The included (not really free) air is not much of a benefit for us as I use FF miles for business class flights to Europe (although taking the allowance off does cut the cost some, but still not down to the level of Celebrity.

On our transatlantic this October from Rome to Miami in a Celebrity Suite, our per diem is just under $500. The cost on the Insignia from Montreal to Southampton in a PH2 (significantly smaller cabin with fewer "suite" perks) is nearly $900. If I stopped the comparison at dollars, I would never consider O.

But based on our one cruise on an R-class ship with Azamara and what I read on Cruise Critic, I have some very high expectations on the quality of the overall experience on O. If those expectations are met, then I will consider that the value I got was worth the price I paid. In an overly simplistic analogy, a satisfied Cadillac owner and a satisfied Buick owner received the same thing - value that was acceptable to them. The actual dollars are not that important in that kind of evaluation.

We are blessed to be able to say that by hard work and good fortune, we are willing and able to pay for what we want as long as we perceive it to be a good value. We spent enough of our lives having to decide what we had to have rather than what we wanted to have.

This whole OBC/SBC can get confusing. We are not a part of any group on our upcoming cruise, yet our TA gave us some very nice perks because they have a "group" on our cruise. Until this thread, I didn't know what exactly a "group" meant.

To be specific, when we booked last August, our TA gave us pre-paid gratuities plus $1,400 in OBC/SBC with $1,000 refundable if not used. We have a Veranda B cabin on the Marina.

Then when Oceania ran a special this Spring offering $300 SBC plus unlimited internet for our cruise, I asked our TA to contact Oceania and ask to have those perks added to our package, and they were. And yes, I have all that in writing.

But the Blue Pamphlet from O and the Final Cruise Vacation Summary from my TA via O says I have: "$300 Complimentary Gratuities and $100 Shipboard Credit". My TA says not to worry, we'll get everything promised and it will all be spelled out on the invoice once we board. I sure hope so.....

To be specific, when we booked last August, our TA gave us pre-paid gratuities plus $1,400 in OBC/SBC with $1,000 refundable if not used. We have a Veranda B cabin on the Marina.

Then when Oceania ran a special this Spring offering $300 SBC plus unlimited internet for our cruise, I asked our TA to contact Oceania and ask to have those perks added to our package, and they were. And yes, I have all that in writing.

But the Blue Pamphlet from O and the Final Cruise Vacation Summary from my TA via O says I have: "$300 Complimentary Gratuities and $100 Shipboard Credit". My TA says not to worry, we'll get everything promised and it will all be spelled out on the invoice once we board. I sure hope so.....

Then you have a great TA, on are last cruise (and the last time will be using that TA), she had a group and told us we'd be part of the group so I couldn't use my AX card for those benfits-30 days before the cruise we were told by our TA that we couldn't be part of her group because of the pricing we got when booking. And she told us she was full service, don't think so---be careful people some of these TA's post on this site hoping to get business.

Rick

I booked back-to-back cruises last September on the Nautica for the May 16 and 26th cruises. My invoice included free internet, prepaid gratuities, and $200 onboard credit per cruise. When I boarded the first cruise the OBC was only $100. I contacted my TA who said she'd contact Oceania. Then on the second cruise the OBC was only $150. I never got the full $400, despite my TA on the phone with Oceania for hours. Oceania claimed that I was only entitled to two of the three promotions, which didn't explain why I received some, but not all, of my OBC. Also, nothing on the invoice mentioned that I only received two promotions, nor did they ever ask which two I wanted. My TA did send me a check, but the money should have come from Oceania.

What is it with Oceania and their inconsistencies with OBC? Why is it so difficult to deal with them?

What is it with Oceania and their inconsistencies with OBC? Why is it so difficult to deal with them?

I could be wrong but your account is the first I've heard of it. Are you sure you're not thinking of Celebrity?

I suggest you check with O. Unless the policy has changed in the last 30 days, there is definitely a 5% fee for taking refundable OBC's in cash.

??

I just got off the Nautica

Got my refundable OBC in crisp 100s -- no fee.

In my experience a group always means free gratuities among other things

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Depends on your TA, the one I fired didn't always do what was right for the customer.

Rick

ORV, I was just on Oceania on the Nautica from May 16th to June 7th.

Why would Oceania send me an invoice that included $200 per cruise OBC, then not give it to me? The front desk could not help me, which is why I contacted my TA.

I had two excursions cancelled, one pre-cruise and one after I was onboard the Nautica. The first one was refunded to my credit card. The second was credited to my onboard account and I received cash from the front desk.

I booked back-to-back cruises last September on the Nautica for the May 16 and 26th cruises. My invoice included free internet, prepaid gratuities, and $200 onboard credit per cruise. When I boarded the first cruise the OBC was only $100. I contacted my TA who said she'd contact Oceania. Then on the second cruise the OBC was only $150. I never got the full $400, despite my TA on the phone with Oceania for hours. Oceania claimed that I was only entitled to two of the three promotions, which didn't explain why I received some, but not all, of my OBC.

I have never heard of only getting 2 of 3 promotions offered

we have all on our next cruise guess time will tell

ORV, I was just on Oceania on the Nautica from May 16th to June 7th.

Why would Oceania send me an invoice that included $200 per cruise OBC, then not give it to me? The front desk could not help me, which is why I contacted my TA.

I had two excursions cancelled, one pre-cruise and one after I was onboard the Nautica. The first one was refunded to my credit card. The second was credited to my onboard account and I received cash from the front desk.

Your lucky, at least your TA did something---mine didn't want to call Oceania and didn't. I think all she cared about was her commission.

Rick

Another pointer when it comes to SBC/OBC: call Oceania 10-14 days in advance of the cruise and ask them to read you the invoice you will be receiving on board spelling out your amenities. DO NOT wait until you are on the ship to find out.

As I previously mentioned, my group of 6 received excellent amenities going through our TA. With our cruise around the corner, I have spent the last month emailing my TA to re-confirm the amenities. In doing so, I learned that my sales agent has left the agency, which meant the customer service reps were trying to figure everything promised based on notes made by my sales agent.

However, I wasn't getting a straight answer and was getting passed from one customer service rep to another, all of whom assured me everything would be as promised and would be spelled out in the invoice/accounting I receive on board.

Not satisfied with that, I called Oceania and learned that my invoice wasn't matching what I'd been promised by the original sales agent. Hmmmm.

I then advised my TA's customer service rep of that and after more emails and a phone call, I got it straightened out, but only because I had saved written confirmation of the various amenities promised by the original sales agent which I could forward to the customer service rep.

So another valuable lesson is to get everything in writing, especially the amount of the refundable SBC.

When you get the invoice from your travel agent, it comes from the AGENCY -- not the TA personally. It should not matter if the TA leaves.

On your invoice every amenity should be spelled out -- whether it's an OBC, rebate, free internet or free gratuities. No one should have to be figuring it out. A verbal promise from a TA is worthless.

Well, my agency didn't send me an invoice. So I called Oceania to find out what it was going to say. And I'm glad I did because what Oceania said I was to receive was $300 less than what my current rep was telling me I was going to receive. So that issue had to be taken care of, and was by my current rep, or so I've been told (in writing).

The second issue was a discrepancy between what my current rep said was the amount of refundable SBC and what I'd been promised in writing from my original rep. That, too, was resolved in my favor, thanks to the emails I'd saved.

Well, my agency didn't send me an invoice. So I called Oceania to find out what it was going to say. And I'm glad I did because what Oceania said I was to receive was $300 less than what my current rep was telling me I was going to receive. So that issue had to be taken care of, and was by my current rep, or so I've been told (in writing).

The second issue was a discrepancy between what my current rep said was the amount of refundable SBC and what I'd been promised in writing from my original rep. That, too, was resolved in my favor, thanks to the emails I'd saved.

Interesting, I get an invoice from the minute we reserve, then another when we deposit, then one at final payment, and any time there is any change we get another. It always lists everything we've been told we'll get, then have always got it onboard. Then again we have one of the best TA's. The biggest challenge is keeping track of which invoice is the current one.

Interesting, I get an invoice from the minute we reserve, then another when we deposit, then one at final payment, and any time there is any change we get another. It always lists everything we've been told we'll get, then have always got it onboard. Then again we have one of the best TA's. The biggest challenge is keeping track of which invoice is the current one.

I get exactly the same thing. There is never any question about what my amenities will be. Just like you -- three invoices -- deposit, final payment due and final payment made. What I get on board is ALWAYS the same as what is stated on my invoice.

If the agency you use is not spelling out your amenities on your invoice you might want to consider another agency. This should be SOP.

...If the agency you use is not spelling out your amenities on your invoice you might want to consider another agency. This should be SOP.

I have never received an invoice from the agency, nor would I want one. They simply pass on the precise invoice directly from Oceania. While I trust my agency implicitly, it's comforting to know they have not changed sny prices or included any unnecessary fees. In my experience if the agency is not giving you the sctual Oceania invoice, they are likely hiding something.

I have never received an invoice from the agency, nor would I want one. They simply pass on the precise invoice directly from Oceania. While I trust my agency implicitly, it's comforting to know they have not changed sny prices or included any unnecessary fees. In my experience if the agency is not giving you the sctual Oceania invoice, they are likely hiding something.

First a bit off topic, hope you are out of the hospital for good today and that your healing continues until you are 110%!!

As to the invoice, from reading the posts, it seems that sometimes the cruise line invoices don't show all of the extras the TA and/or cruise line has promised the customer so agree that it certainly doesn't hurt and at times helps to have the TA invoice from day one show everything that the TA as well as cruise line has included for the customer.

Mix ups occur and having something in writing once aboard will help resolve issues and any responsible business will have invoices to keep track of their business.