P&O Australia - How are they?

One thing about P&O Australia, they seem to do some interesting itineraries, eg New Guinea or local cruises from local ports. Compared to prices on bigger ships they also seem a bit pricey for a perceived on my part "3 star" cruise line. However all the other cruise lines just do the South Pacific (with minor variations), New Zealand and a circumnavigation round Australia.

Having done the South Pacific twice, New Zealand once (by sea, 3 times altogether) and are about to do Sydney, Adelaide, Sydney and the Top End cruise on Celebrity - we are running out of options for a Verandah Cabin on a "4 star" ship (opinions on star quality may vary so don't come back to me on this).

So now we are looking at the local cruiselines on the older, smaller ships which would mean an oceanview on our budget but both Princess and P&O (especially the latter) have some interesting local itineraries.

My take on this is that you are on a smaller, older ship - the food will be acceptable - the accommodation and fit out of the ship basic. BUT you are paying to go to ports that are not usually on a shipping lines radar.

My question to those of you who have sailed P&O, will we be happy with the ships knowing their limitations and this is more about the destination than the ship?

As an end note, maybe when they get the two HAL ships up and running and if they don't muck around with them too much, they could end up being two very nice ships.

My advice to you would be to go with your gut and make up your own mind which it appears you are already doing.

You are likely to get many people for and against P&O Australia here.

My grandparents and parents who have cruised with P&O Australia have clearly stated they will never return to them. My parents gave up cruising altogether after a P&O Australia experience. Unfortunately I have been unable to convince them to cruise again.

The big issue with p and I is it is budget priced line with lots of stuff being an extra which is included in royal or princess us they set their market for families and people on budgets

Yes nice itineraries and age if ship won't affect service or food

Most ships have had refits to add lots of stuff the new ships have also

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you know and accept P&O's limitations, accepting that you are only getting the basics and will need to pay for drinks/some activities/some specialty restaurants, and are willing to go with the flow and relax, then you will have a good time. The staff are friendly, the food is usually good, and the entertainment is above-average.

Tania

As an end note, maybe when they get the two HAL ships up and running and if they don't muck around with them too much, they could end up being two very nice ships.

That is what many of us are hoping. In the meantime, I choose not to cruise on P&O Australia ships, despite the itinerary.

We are 3 star on HAL, and Platinum on Princess, but if we see a good last minute deal with P& O we take it. The cabins are bigger, the entertainment is good, the food is reasonable, and ports are interesting. We just like being at sea, and always enjoy every cruise, some more that others. :o

Yeah I've been curious about P&O. They cop a fair bit of flack here on CC and to me, their pricing isn't great compared to what I can get on other lines which cop less flack and have newer ships - with plenty of balcony cabins (which we prefer).

If others are happy with them then that's great but I haven't found a reason to give them a go just yet when we are new to cruising and there's still a few local itineraries for us to do.

See you on the Top End cruise Wastegirl!

Rob

See you on the Top End cruise Wastegirl!

Rob

Only 211 days to go :)

Thanks everyone for your responses, I'll keep an open mind and towards 2016 see what they do with the Eden and Aria (don't like those names) and if any good deals come up that's when I will pounce. You all pretty well sum up what I was thinking, they have a captive audience with their small ships, itineraries, local ports and time of year sailings and charge a premium for it.

I'm curious about the itineraries they going to offer on Eden and Aria. I believe they will be announced at the end of August in time for cruise week sales. I don't mind giving PO Australia a go, if a) price is right b) intinerary is interesting. This is where I see PO Australia can capture some of the market.

Too many of the cruiselines do the runs to NZ and South Pacific runs.

Weve been on P & O , Celebrity, RC, Princess, Carnival. If the price was right and the itinerary what we want we will happily go on P & O again. As long as you are realisitic and don't expect QE 2 on a P & O then you will be fine. The best cruise director we have ever had was on a P & O. Willie Lee who has now moved to Carnival. The food is fine, the rooms biggest we have had on any line. Only thing we don't particularly like is the dining room is always open seating. We like to get to know our dining room companions eating at the same table each night but that's not enough to turn us off P & O.

We have sailed on all 3 of the Cunard Queens - they are like "chalk and cheese" compared to P&O AUS -- but we are perfectly happy to sail anywhere on the P&O ships. We started out sailing on Pacific Star and Sun ( but they are no longer with us) - and have happily sailed on Pacific Dawn and Pearl.

There are some things that P&O AUS do MUCH better than any other cruiseline we have been on -- but it depends on who you are as to whether you would value those things.

We have also enjoyed sailing with RCI and P&O UK- and they are both different again in what they do and how they do it . Cruiselines are like different countries - they all do much the same thing but all have their own different ways and culture.

Personally I am tired of hearing some people say "I will never sail with XXX again" - that is their privilege and I hope that they don't (for my sake!!)

Barry

I've been on p&o a few times and they are pretty meh ships compared to some of the newer ones that are offering similar prices. however if the itinery was right and the price was right id consider them again. shame they don't do drinks packages. the best cruise food I've had ever was on the pearl and that was compared to the food on solstice!

I wouldn't say they charge a premium because they have a captive market. In fact, it's quite open... and lots of competitors have come here the past few years, and can serve the same places as P&O if they wish. P&O in fact used to do similar itineraries but got itself pushed out by the new entrants with so much competition there, so have been creative and come up with different itineraries. Go back a few years and there were many P&O island and NZ runs!

However, they continue to serve our market well, and keep trying to serve other ports at the foreigners choose not to, so keep getting the business. Better that than not imo. They built cruising here, and many started cruising on a P&O ship.

I've been mostly loyal to Royal but a friend & I spotted a great Southern States itinery this year on the Pacific Pearl. Lots of shore days with 10 different Ports to explore in 15 cruise days - though that did include visiting Melbourne 3 times.

We paid about $2500 for an Oceanview so not a cheap cruise on a smaller, older ship but except for the entertainment, we found it to be a great cruise!

Loved our large cabin

Loved the MDR menus - ate most meals here booking the same table each night for dinner

Staff was mostly great, guest services were the exception but all in all, we were on a cruise visiting ports that larger ships sail by so yes, we had a great experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been on several P&O cruises without any troubles. The staff have always been great and the food also very good. I prefer the cabins on Pacific Dawn and Jewel to those on the Aust. Princesses. Although I love the perks, being Elite on Princess Cruises, I would travel on P&O ships again.

I agree with most of the comments so far, I also feel any cruis eis a good cruise as you make it what you want.

Having just returned from a P&O Pacific Pearl short 4 night cruise, I went in with low expectations and I can say I was surprised at the standard of the food and the service (certainly worth at least 3.5 -4 stars). The ship was small, old and a bit tired but that was expected and if the seas get rough the whole ship feels it diue to being older and smaller (my rating - 2.5-3 stars). Price is the most important factor here as the drinks are not cheap (not expensive either but there are no drink package options), if the price is cheap or at least cheaper than other cruiselines, and I like the itinerary, I will sail on P&O again but again know I will be getting a different product to X, RCI or Princess International (not Princess Aust).

I am sure you will enjoy the cruise you go on if you have the right attitude.:D

Having sailed with Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Carnival I would say that P&O hold their own very well and you will likely be surprised by them. They do a lot of things heaps better than any of the other lines such as entertainment and deck parties, their food in the main dining room is also very good and they have some of the friendliest crews.

Their ships are older and aren't as glitzy as some of the others but for some that could be a good thing, Pacific Pearl is one of my all time favourite cruise ships as it just has a nice layout and traditional feel to it with nice open back decks that haven't been covered in balconies like the new ships.

It will come down to what you make of it, if you go into a P&O cruise looking for reasons not to enjoy it, you will probably find them (same with any cruise line) it just seems like a lot more people do this with P&O because their ships are older and their name.

I would happily cruise on P&O again tomorrow, so for all the people that put them down that's okay they can stay away from them and keep my cruise fares down :p

It is great that P&O suits a lot of people who are happy with the older and smaller ships as everyone has differing needs and wants when they cruise. The issue I have with P&O is that so many of their fares are not competitive with the other cruise companies when comparing the overall package, and this is why until recently I hadn't sailed with them for 12 years. Like I have said, I would choose them again if the fare and itinerary was right for me.:D

Maybe I'm a snob or getting old, but it's the P & O passengers that put me off more than the ships, crew, food, etc. Their ships may be older but in mnay cases their cabins are larger than newer ships. But they invariably seem to have the groups of bogans in their shorts and thongs being loud, drunk and obnoxious. Probably doesn't occur on longer sailings but so many of their cruises now are 3-4 nighters that encourage booze-cruising.

Maybe I'm a snob or getting old, but it's the P & O passengers that put me off more than the ships, crew, food, etc. Their ships may be older but in mnay cases their cabins are larger than newer ships. But they invariably seem to have the groups of bogans in their shorts and thongs being loud, drunk and obnoxious. Probably doesn't occur on longer sailings but so many of their cruises now are 3-4 nighters that encourage booze-cruising.

Didn't really find too much of that on the cruise I did although there were some Bucks/Hens parties and Birthday groups going around. They were older people (40s-50s) though so generally behaved well.:D

One thing about P&O Australia, they seem to do some interesting itineraries, eg New Guinea or local cruises from local ports. Compared to prices on bigger ships they also seem a bit pricey for a perceived on my part "3 star" cruise line. However all the other cruise lines just do the South Pacific (with minor variations), New Zealand and a circumnavigation round Australia.

Having done the South Pacific twice, New Zealand once (by sea, 3 times altogether) and are about to do Sydney, Adelaide, Sydney and the Top End cruise on Celebrity - we are running out of options for a Verandah Cabin on a "4 star" ship (opinions on star quality may vary so don't come back to me on this).

So now we are looking at the local cruiselines on the older, smaller ships which would mean an oceanview on our budget but both Princess and P&O (especially the latter) have some interesting local itineraries

My take on this is that you are on a smaller, older ship - the food will be acceptable - the accommodation and fit out of the ship basic. BUT you are paying to go to ports that are not usually on a shipping lines radar.

My question to those of you who have sailed P&O, will we be happy with the ships knowing their limitations and this is more about the destination than the ship?

Hi Wastegirl, we have been on a number of P&O cruises, Royal Carribean and Princess, my favourite is Royal Carribean but have to say I really enjoy the Pacific Dawn that does the PNG cruise I also believe that Princess also do that particular cruise too. Whichever ship you choose you will have a good day a day at sea can't be beaten.

I think what you are talking about is more related to the short cruises as a friend of mine went on the Radiance of the Seas for a short cruise and felt there were a lot of bogans/drunks on there. I think Wastegirl a longer cruise you will get quite a mix of ages and people on board.