How late do you hang out on the ship on the last day?

gentle@spici

We have a 5pm flight on the day we leave the Reflection in January. We won't be in any hurry to leave. I know they want us out of our stateroom by 9 or so but how long can we stay for breakfast and have some coffee? I was hoping 10:30 or 11am.

No way will you be allowed to leave that late. They have to "zero out" the passenger count, usually no later than 9:30 or 10:00. Remember, when you embark, you want to get on as early as possible, and those waiting to embark after your cruise is over will be just as excited to start boarding at 11 or earlier. Oh, and you're supposed to be out of your cabin by 8, at least that's the way it's been on our cruises.

We are usually first off. If you want to hang out somewhere... look for hotel near airport ... see if you can get a day rate. Enjoy the pool or if weather works in January or whatever.

We are like so many others, we do not want to make the return to normal day to day. But alas we know that this sailing has come to a finish. Linger over eggs Benedict, a fresh squeezed OJ, and final conversation with new found friends who like the same escape we do, sigh :)

Tho we have good natured banter here on CC about how to skirt standing the the line to collect luggage and the long wait to clear customs. We have breakfast in the MDR, say our see ya next time and head for the exit by 8:30 ish 9:00.

We have stayed on board until mid-morning --maybe 11 or so? If you linger, you will hear announcements saying that everyone still on board should disembark. We chilled in a lounge for several hours after we vacated our cabin on our first cruise (Celebrity.) Staff were doing various cleaning jobs, but we did not hinder their work. They did not speak to us or ask us to leave. We left when we heard the announcement mentioned above.

I am not advocating lingering -- but it can be done. Since our first cruise I have seen documentaries on cruising and cruise ships that convinced me that lingering on board was not a considerate thing for us to have done, as I have seen frantic security officers and hotel managers searching all over ships to find the few pax who have not yet signed off the ship. It delays boarding and creates stress for the staff. But there is nothing that says you cannot be the last two guests off the ship! Someone has to be, after all.

When we got to the luggage area, the staff was extremely glad to see us, as they thought someone had forgotten their luggage -- our bags were the only ones there...

We have stayed on board until mid-morning --maybe 11 or so? If you linger, you will hear announcements saying that everyone still on board should disembark. We chilled in a lounge for several hours after we vacated our cabin on our first cruise (Celebrity.) Staff were doing various cleaning jobs, but we did not hinder their work. They did not speak to us or ask us to leave. We left when we heard the announcement mentioned above.

I am not advocating lingering -- but it can be done. Since our first cruise I have seen documentaries on cruising and cruise ships that convinced me that lingering on board was not a considerate thing for us to have done, as I have seen frantic security officers and hotel managers searching all over ships to find the few pax who have not yet signed off the ship. It delays boarding and creates stress for the staff. But there is nothing that says you cannot be the last two guests off the ship! Someone has to be, after all.

When we got to the luggage area, the staff was extremely glad to see us, as they thought someone had forgotten their luggage -- our bags were the only ones there...

If you were allowed to stay on board until 11am?:eek:...it must have

been something special.......in 11 years, the only reason I have

been able to stay even near 10:00am was due to some ship and/or

customs issues. Normally they are wanting everybody off before 10:00.

Closer to 9:30 really. And there have been times the folks sailing on

the next cruise are boarding at 11.

11am.......wow you were lucky!

Edited by Lois R

The last morning is NOT fun. Any and all the service and attention you've gotten used to is conspicuously missing on the last morning. They want you GONE...and fast! They have a whole new batch of vacationers coming...and they need to get busy!

Once you have to leave your cabin, hanging around the public areas isn't my idea of a good time!

Breakfast seating will end around 8 or 8:30AM. I don't' know if, or when, they'll ask you to leave the dining area after that.

If disembarkation goes smoothly and starts on time the last call for the last remaining passengers to disembark will be around 9:30 or 10AM. If it goes slowly due to delays or customs issues it can be later, as much as a couple hours, later than that but you can't count on being on board past 9:30 or so.

In the past they've had a late disembarkation, for a fee, at European ports only. I don't know if this is still offered or not as we've never been on a cruise where it was offered.

Edited by Lsimon

Thanks for the replies everyone. We certainly don't want to be the last ones on the ship. We have cruised several times but usually with Carnival and we've never had such late flights. Our last one came in at 8am so thats maybe why I was thinking we could have breakfast until 9 or 10. Guess we will just wing it and leave with the last few hundred people.

Just a suggestion:

When we've had a late flight out of Ft Lauderdale we've rented a car for the day. The rental car companies have pick-ups to local offices and/or the airport location from the cruise terminal. We then can use the car to transport us, and our luggage, around town and the beach area before heading to the airport in the afternoon to drop off the car and check in.

I've not done this in Miami but I'm guessing there are similar car rental options from there that you might look into.

On our last cruise we stayed until 10:30. In fact we went to future cruise desk at 10:15 and booked our next cruise with no problem. The cruise we booked has gone up $500 since.Was a good decision on our part!!!:):):)

You could also use the Extend Your Stay program. Here's a link with more information:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/11025639_CEL_ExtendedStay_Flyer.pdf

Avalon Scenery Burgundy and Provence-June 2010

Celebrity Infinity Alaska-May 2012

Celebrity Century Pacific Wine-Sept 2012

Celebrity Millennium N Alaska-July 2013

Celebrity Century Pacific Coastal-May 2014

Celebrity Millennium Malaysia and Indonesia-Nov 2014

Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal September 2015

On our recent Equinox Med sailing, we had a leisurely breakfast and were getting ready to disembark at 930 when to our surprise, an announcement was made that we should stay on the ship! Apparently there was a long line at Istanbul customs so they wanted us to wait on the ship until it improved. I thought this was very considerate and we enjoyed another Cafe al Bacio latte and cookies until we were invited again to disembark at 10:15.

We have a 5pm flight on the day we leave the Reflection in January. We won't be in any hurry to leave. I know they want us out of our stateroom by 9 or so but how long can we stay for breakfast and have some coffee? I was hoping 10:30 or 11am.

Seems like you are being very selfish to try to stay on until 11:00. The crew needs to do lots of stuff before the new passengers get on and you are just interfering w their work. Get off ASAP to make their life easier.

DON

Seems like you are being very selfish to try to stay on until 11:00. The crew needs to do lots of stuff before the new passengers get on and you are just interfering w their work. Get off ASAP to make their life easier.

DON

Just what problems do you see staff having with a few passengers, checked out of their cabins and sitting by the pool or in a lounge with their bags an extra half hour?

I honestly can't think of any.... :confused:

Edited by A Sixth?

In order for the ship to get clearence from US Customs every passenger must clear customs. The quicker the ship gets clearance the faster the new show gets on the road. By waiting past your due time you are slowing down the process. It is all about moving people in and out efficiently. Even the b2bs have to clear customs in the US/Caribbean.

Gee Don, apparently you don't know how to read very well. I said I was HOPING to stay on until 11 but since I've never sailed Celebrity I asked for advice here. After reading all the comments I later posted that we would leave with the last few hundred guests that were left. I hardly think it's selfish that after we spend over 2 grand for a cruise to wonder if we can stay on an extra hr and relax as opposed to the airport. I know from past carnival cruises where we get off earlier to catch a flight there are hundreds of ppl still eating breakfast and drinking coffe in no rush to leave. I DID make the mistake of forgetting our last 2 cruises we came in at 8 instead of 7 so in my original post probably should have said 10 instead of 11. As someone said on here this morning and agree, we would be embarrassed to hear our name called to get off the boat when there's 30 ppl left. Thank You everyone else for your helpful opinions.

Gee Don, apparently you don't know how to read very well. I said I was HOPING to stay on until 11 but since I've never sailed Celebrity I asked for advice here. After reading all the comments I later posted that we would leave with the last few hundred guests that were left. I hardly think it's selfish that after we spend over 2 grand for a cruise to wonder if we can stay on an extra hr and relax as opposed to the airport. I know from past carnival cruises where we get off earlier to catch a flight there are hundreds of ppl still eating breakfast and drinking coffe in no rush to leave. I DID make the mistake of forgetting our last 2 cruises we came in at 8 instead of 7 so in my original post probably should have said 10 instead of 11. As someone said on here this morning and agree, we would be embarrassed to hear our name called to get off the boat when there's 30 ppl left. Thank You everyone else for your helpful opinions.

Welcome to the web eh! :p

To a few points:

spencerdrivecruiser, the ships clearance is not an issue. Lots of lines don't mind passengers lingering a bit before the next boarding begins... No prep-the-next cruise things that crew needs to do could care less. And FWIW on my last B2B there were at least six people missing when the group of us (about 120-140) were shuttled off to re-clear back on the ship. And that was at 10:30 (Summit Jan 4 and 11th 2014)

We regularly are amongst the last off the ship, who cares? We book later flights and by leaving late free up the crowd for those in a hurry. You're welcomed.

Personally I think anyone who wants off the ship as fast as possible when they haven't got a reason are rushing the last moments on the ship, but who cares?