Inside cabin Alaska - will I regret it?

mseldga

Hi all - I'm hoping some of you can help me feel better about booking 2 inside cabins for my family for our first Alaska cruise on the Crown Princess in 2015. We're very excited about the cruise, but I can't help feeling a little disappointed that we had to go with inside cabins because we've had balconies for our last few cruises to the Caribbean and even were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite for our most recent cruise. Plus, I've always heard and thought myself that Alaska was the one cruise where I'd really want a balcony.

For various reasons we just can't swing anything more than the inside cabins for this cruise. But, we're going with a family group and two of them will be right across the hall from us with balconies that they promise they'll share. :) Also, we're on the port side aft, Riviera deck and I know from prior Princess cruises that we'll spend a lot of time at the nearby Terrace pool.

So, can anyone who did Alaska from an inside cabin reassure me that I won't regret being in an inside cabin too much? I think anything would have been a bit of a letdown after our suite upgrade experience, so we might as well go all the way back to inside. :o Plus, more money for excursions, right?

I don't mean to sound spoiled - I do realize I'm lucky just to be able to go.. But, I'm just afraid I have let myself get used to the nicer cabins. Thanks for any opinions -

Hi all - I'm hoping some of you can help me feel better about booking 2 inside cabins for my family for our first Alaska cruise on the Crown Princess in 2015. We're very excited about the cruise, but I can't help feeling a little disappointed that we had to go with inside cabins because we've had balconies for our last few cruises to the Caribbean and even were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite for our most recent cruise. Plus, I've always heard and thought myself that Alaska was the one cruise where I'd really want a balcony.

For various reasons we just can't swing anything more than the inside cabins for this cruise. But, we're going with a family group and two of them will be right across the hall from us with balconies that they promise they'll share. :) Also, we're on the port side aft, Riviera deck and I know from prior Princess cruises that we'll spend a lot of time at the nearby Terrace pool.

So, can anyone who did Alaska from an inside cabin reassure me that I won't regret being in an inside cabin too much? I think anything would have been a bit of a letdown after our suite upgrade experience, so we might as well go all the way back to inside. :o Plus, more money for excursions, right?

I don't mean to sound spoiled - I do realize I'm lucky just to be able to go.. But, I'm just afraid I have let myself get used to the nicer cabins. Thanks for any opinions -

Well, last summer we booked an inside guarantee, we felt with such a great price it would be worth it. We were on open decks anyway for all the glacier viewing. I think even with a balcony, you would want to be there. I feel lucky just to be able to go and the cabin isn't all that important. That being said, we were upgraded to an obstructed OV midship so that was great for light and placement on the ship. But it would not have mattered much to us since the trip was much more important than the cabin!

Sailing in an inside cabin is better than not going. We booked an inside cabin for our first cruise to Alaska. We managed to upgrade ourselves to an obstructed view when prices came down. Your situation sounds great with family members in a balcony cabin across the hall. We spent a lot of time on the Promenade Deck. The good news is that because so many cabins have balconies, the open decks are not that crowded except for when the ship is close to the glaciers.

It took my wife years to convince me to cruise. I knew for a fact that I would hate everything about it. We booked an inside for a 10 day SF - AK round trip. We did it on Sea Princess and the inside cabins are much smaller than the inside cabins on the Grand class ships. (Ours was 135 sq. ft. as opposed to 160 sq. ft. on Grand Princess.) I loved it. All of it. Period.

The best glacier and scenery viewing is done from the decks - not from a balcony. Although we totally lucked out and had great weather the entire trip many Alaska cruises have rain, fog, etc. A balcony isn't really of much use in those conditions.

We later booked a balcony to Hawaii then a deluxe balcony to Vancouver and loved the balconies. We have a 10 day Mexico booked in an OV room and also a 17 day Panama Canal transit which is booked in an inside room.

Our first cruise in that tiny inside cabin hooked me completely. Take your cruise in your inside cabins and enjoy every minute of it. You will be fine.

We switch from balconies to insides according to weather and cost. We would never book a balcony for the view because we prefer to be up on deck or in a lounge with a wider view. A balcony is great when it is warm enough to sit out in the evening or have breakfast outside, but I think you would be very lucky with the weather if this applied to Alaska.

We booked inside for our upcoming Baltic cruise, because we hadn't budgeted for it this year. Our sons decided they were going with their families and suggested that we join them, which we couldn't resist. We thought we would be having long days ashore and would probably just use the cabin to sleep. Due to a mix up at Princess our booking was cancelled and when our TA got it reinstated we were upgraded to a balcony. We feel very fortunate, but we would have been happy in our original cabin too.

Sheila

We have cruised to Alaska with an inside cabin and - loved it!!! I really don't mind it at all. We sail with friends & are not in our cabin that much. The best views are out on the upper decks anyway. We were still treated awesome by our room steward & had a great experience! Relax & Enjoy!!!!!! : )

Almost all of our cruises, including two to Alaska, have been with inside cabins. We have been very happy with insides. They allow us to cruise more often. You will want to be out on deck for most of Alaska anyway. If you just stay out on your balcony, you will miss half the scenery.

Thanks for the replies everyone - I knew you all would make me feel better! It's definitely much better than not going at all and I'm glad to hear that the views are best from the outside decks. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone - I knew you all would make me feel better! It's definitely much better than not going at all and I'm glad to hear that the views are best from the outside decks. :)

You really won't regret it for as you say - "it's better than not going at all".

Also, when you have a balcony, you can only view the scenery from ONE side - you miss all the scenery from the OTHER side!! :D

Our first cruise was to Alaska on HAL with an inside cabin (it was what we could afford). NO REGRETS. We loved it. We spent time up on deck, in the Crow's Nest or on the bow in Glacier Bay. We wanted to see everything (not just from one side of the ship).

Since then, we've taken 3 more cruises and always booked inside cabins and haven't regretted it. On our last cruise we were upgraded to a balcony and even though we enjoyed it, we booked our next cruise with an inside cabin. We'll spend the money on excursions instead.

Have a great cruise.:)

We never trade out excursions for a balcony so usually get an inside. Even living here for 34 years I like it dark when I sleep which can be an issue, particularly during the cruise season. In most parts of Alaska it doesn’t get totally dark at night. I sleep much better in an inside. Plus, we don’t spend a lot of time in the cabin and are usually up on deck. Even with a balcony you’re missing more than half of the scenery. I will admit that if money was not a consideration we’d get the balcony.

We just got back from another Alaskan cruise in inside cabins and we had a wonderful time! We couldn't afford to go at all if we didn't get inside cabins - we were taking 4 teens/young adults this time - so we were happy just to go. No regrets at all!

You don't sound spoiled,We cruisers understand;) If it is a choice between an inside cabin and not going at all........you bet I'm all over that inside cabin:D

Reader

I got a suite for my cruise to Alaska this year. What a waste of money -- I was out on public decks most of the time so that enormous EXTRA COST was to me, just a big waste. I've done insides, oceanviews and this year the suite. I will be happy from now on to be in an oceanview or inside. Watch the prices, maybe you can move to an oceanview, which to me is the best of both worlds -- see the views, and save the money :)

And I agree -- "going" is infinitely superior to "not going" ;)

While I loved the 2 times we had balconies in AK, we actually spent more time in the public areas looking out at the scenery. For almost all of the sail aways from the ports, we had just returned from an excursion and were upstairs at the buffet and we usually got a window seat because it was not during a busy time. During our glacier days, we were out on the top deck in front of the ship to get the best view. While the ship was sailing it was just a little too nippy for my thin blood to be out on the balcony for more than 5-10 min or so. Not that I wouldn't recommend one but we didn't utilize it as much as I thought we would.

Also, can you ask to be put on the upgrade list? I've been upgraded twice in AK, both times from an oceanview to a balcony:D. Or is your situation such that you need the insides to be right near each other (like if you would have kids in a separate room)? It's worth a shot if you have the flexibility.

You'll like the Crown...you have to go to the Int'l Cafe on the Plaza deck--best desserts on the sea:p

personally, I would never spend the extra $$ for a balcony. if I want to see scenery I will go outside! sure, if a balcony was only a tiny bit more then I'd love it but for the larger expense so not worth it for me. enjoy the inside cabin for better sleeping and stop second-guessing your decision - it'll be awesome!

Odd man out here, if I couldn't afford a balcony, I wouldn't be going.

Inside cabins are too claustrophobic for me. Did a cabin crawl and did an about face to get out of there fast. Can't imagine even sleeping in one.

I did have ocean view my first two cruises, but once I got a great deal on a Junior Suite with a balcony, there is no going back for this gal.

But again, I'm the unusual one I guess, I'd rather sit on my own uncrowded balcony than be up on deck with the other hordes of people.

But thank goodness there are plenty of choices for all.

Tip: Whenever we have an inside cabin we always split the beds apart --- one big bed is a cramped feeling as opposed to two beds (each positioned on the opposing wall) --- works for us, but might not work for everyone.

Prior to our Alaska cruise, the only time we ever had a balcony was when we got a free upgrade...otherwise we book insides or oceanview cabins.

But...an Alaska cruise is different than a Caribbean cruise. In the Caribbean the view out a balcony is beautiful blue water...and that is it. On an Alaskan cruise there is almost ALWAYS something to see since you are sailing so close to land.

It killed me to pay double the price to get a balcony compared to the cost of an inside cabin, but my husband and I both agreed...it was worth every penny. Although we did spend some time on the public decks, I do not like to just stand at a railing. By having our own balcony we were able to relax and it was so convenient to just pop inside to use the bathroom, grab the binoculars, get a jacket, etc. We kept our TV tuned to the station with the front webcam so we could see what was coming as well as hear the naturalist who's commentary was broadcast on the same channel.

We saw many whales, sea otters, dall porpoises, etc. right from our balcony because we were watching. I know I wouldn't have spent as much time looking if I had to be at the railing on a public deck. We got lucky with the weather, but if there had been a lot of rain, our balcony would have still been usable since it was covered. Our friends were in the cabin next door and with the balcony divider open we had a great time together!

Having the balcony meant we were able to have a view from the moment we got out of bed until we turned off the lights at night. In fact, most nights I even looked out the balcony door on my middle of the night bathroom trip!

In my opinion, if there is any way you can swing the cost of a balcony for Alaska...do it!! This is the way to see the inside passage!!

IMG_1462.JPG

Can't help but reply-go with inside. Have had 10 Alaska cruises with inside once, balconies three times and outside 6 times. No matter what cabin, we were either outside on deck with 360 degree view of scenery or in front observation lounge. Enjoy your trip!

I would also say leverage the technology on today's ships - most have cam views off the bow and stern on the cabin TV so that if you need to spend some time in the cabin, you can monitor your surroundings a bit and be aware when there might be something to be seen on deck.

There is access to outside decks on the bow of the Crown. Just came back from a cruise on her, and if I'd known about them in advance I'd have booked an inside. We spent 90% of our time at the glaciers in those areas. The view is so much better than being on a balcony, which we've had on all 4 of our AK cruises.