taking booze on board ?

Scuba

I sailed carnival before they allow two bottles of wine to take onboard. How about Norwegian ? Leaving in two weeks on the getaway, can you allowed to take boozed on board ?

From the Norwegian website:

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#alcohol-consumption

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

Wow, I didn't realize that you can get charged corkage for a gift from a TA.

Just goes to show that maybe before booking or just after booking a cruise, one should go to the website for that cruise line and actually read the FAQs.

<snip>

<snip>

Wow' date=' I didn't realize that you can get charged corkage for a gift from a TA.

Just goes to show that maybe before booking or just after booking a cruise, one should go to the website for that cruise line and actually read the FAQs.[/quote']

The way I read the quote about corkage fee applying to wine sent by TA is if it is sent from a source other than through the ship. Most ships no longer allow such gifts at all due to security issues.

If your TA sends you wine they ordered through the ship, there would be no corkage. If it came from a local gift provider in the area where you are embarking, there would be a corkage fee. (Make sure your TA knows that. :D )

Edited by sail7seas

The way I read the quote about corkage fee applying to wine sent by TA is if it is sent from a source other than through the ship. Most ships no longer allow such gifts at all due to security issues.

If your TA sends you wine they ordered through the ship, there would be no corkage. If it came from a local gift provider in the area where you are embarking, there would be a corkage fee. (Make sure your TA knows that. :D )

Sail is correct. Our TA ordered a bottle of wine delivered to our cabin, purchased from NCL. So there was no corkage fee.

Most TA's select wines to send to their customers as gift from the ship's selection. That seems terrible that the person receiving the gift has to pay the corkage fee.

It is my understanding that there is no limit to how many bottles you may bring as long as you pay the corkage fee. NCL also as wine packages that they sell onboard that work out to be about $25 a bottle once gratuity is factored in.

And unlike other lines, it doesn't matter where you drink the wine. Even in your own cabin. To bring it on board, you must pay the corkage. There's usually a desk right there as you're checking in or boarding. You pay the fee, they give you a receipt, and put stickers on the bottles to show that the fee has been paid.

Of course, once you've paid the fee, you're free to bring the bottle to dinner or any other venue, etc.

It is my understanding that there is no limit to how many bottles you may bring as long as you pay the corkage fee. NCL also as wine packages that they sell onboard that work out to be about $25 a bottle once gratuity is factored in.

I think you are mistaken. Reread the copy from NCL website that a pp poster used.

I think you are mistaken. Reread the copy from NCL website that a pp poster used.

I read it as they can bring whatever they want onboard. They will be charged a corkage fee for all bottles brought onboard.

What are you seeing different then that?

I have no direct experience but I have read of people taking a case of wine on the ship and paying the corkage. What part of the quote indicates that there is a limit?

If your TA sends the wine to the ship, there is no corkage fee. If you buy the wine from NCL, there is no corkage fee. It's only if you bring your own wine aboard, that they charge that fee. With the wine I drink, the fee costs more than the wine!