De Facto Dress Code on Cruises Starting in Australia

jan-n-john

Also an Aussie and yes we do get dressed up quite a lot of the time.

Qantas (code share American Airlines) and Virgin allow 2 pieces of checked baggage up to 23 kg each per passenger in economy class. I believe all airlines operating between the US and Australia have to do this but check with the airline or your TA. This will allow you to throw in as many ballgowns as you wish or Tuxes.

If you have internal flights you will need to check with your TA.

Have a good time!

Well, just to be clear, we will be away from home for about 40 nights on this trip. We will be flying first to Singapore for a few days then onward to Sydney, then a B2B Transpac to Vancouver, then flying home. Not likely we will be able to make it with 20kg of clothes unless we want to spend lots of money at the ship's laundry which, me being cheap, drives me nuts on principle, but so be it (maybe that's my inner bogan coming out??). The SIN-SYD leg is a cheap ticket on BA and turns out to have a 1 bag, 23kg. limit each (free allowance), with a 70 lb. per bag absolute limit, so that's the ruling limit for us at least outbound. Looks like we'll end up paying some overweight charges on that one. But anyway I'm trying to figure out what clothing we really need -- hence this thread.

When I started the thread I thought it might turn a bit crazy, and it has, which is a good thing. I think we are going to enjoy this trip! Can't wait. (It's the Solstice transpac leaving Sydney next April 3). And to the person above who equated bogan with redneck, yes, I live in deep redneck country (Western NC). Could this have anything to do with why we enjoy getting away and cruising so much?

Edited by jan-n-john

Well, just to be clear, we will be away from home for about 40 nights on this trip. We will be flying first to Singapore for a few days then onward to Sydney, then a B2B Transpac to Vancouver, then flying home. Not likely we will be able to make it with 20kg of clothes unless we want to spend lots of money at the ship's laundry which, me being cheap, drives me nuts on principle, but so be it (maybe that's my inner bogan coming out??). The SIN-SYD leg is a cheap ticket on BA and turns out to have a 1 bag, 23kg. limit each (free allowance), with a 70 lb. per bag absolute limit, so that's the ruling limit for us at least outbound. Looks like we'll end up paying some overweight charges on that one. But anyway I'm trying to figure out what clothing we really need -- hence this thread.

When I started the thread I thought it might turn a bit crazy, and it has, which is a good thing. I think we are going to enjoy this trip! Can't wait. (It's the Solstice transpac leaving Sydney next April 3). And to the person above who equated bogan with redneck, yes, I live in deep redneck country (Western NC). Could this have anything to do with why we enjoy getting away and cruising so much?

We did the did Sydney to Seattle last year 38 days on the Solstice and 5 days in Sydney. It was no less dressed up than any other cruise. In fact I think was more dressed up. It was one of the best cruises we have done. The Australian's were great fun very friendly. We did the whole trip with one suitcase and on carry-on. No problem with the weight. Also booked Aqua so did not take formal clothes. That helps a lot.

On our cruise around Australia and New Zealand, most of the 'locals' dressed much better than our American tablemates. As others have said, I don't think the mix will be much different from most other cruises, unless you're used to cruising around or from the UK, where more people dress up.

One of the big issues here is not how people want to dress but how they dress when travelling due to weight restrictions, etc.

I say that read the guidelines for dress code and then make the decision that best suits your plans and your conscience and in some cases your partner's approval.

When travelling for a cruise, I bring a tux or a suit and when have never had an issue with weight because of it. I am more likely to have issues on the return leg with things we have bought while travelling. :D

I'm sure the written code is no different, but I also understand the Aussies, bless their hearts, are a highly informal people some of whom may consider recently-pressed shorts for men to qualify as "formal." ;)

We will be doing a trip out of Australia with (I understand) mostly Australians aboard, and it's a long way to fly out there so I'm wondering what we actually need to pack, and whether that would be different from a trip out of, say, Rome. We are in Aqua Class so formal nights at the MDR are not in our scope in any event.

From one jann and john to another...

I think you have been reading too much into this.

We are just like you....dress like you would on any other cruise...

if you don't want to wear formal, don't go to the formal restaurants..easy.

we are not Barbarians...I have seen worse types on your Caribbean cruises.

You may find you are offending a lot of Aussies with this thread.;):p

Edited by jannandjohn

I'm sure the written code is no different, but I also understand the Aussies, bless their hearts, are a highly informal people some of whom may consider recently-pressed shorts for men to qualify as "formal." ;)

We will be doing a trip out of Australia with (I understand) mostly Australians aboard, and it's a long way to fly out there so I'm wondering what we actually need to pack, and whether that would be different from a trip out of, say, Rome. We are in Aqua Class so formal nights at the MDR are not in our scope in any event.

Well since 'bless your heart' is usually used before you say something derogatory about someone, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt as my fellow Aussies have done, and hope you weren't being condescending. Now you've been educated in Aussie attire and been told to buy some stubbies (unironed) don't forget the blue singlet and a pair of thongs. Real thongs that you put on your feet and not those bum floss things. Once you have those you will fit in with any bunch of Aussies.

Oh, and as others have said, bring your formal clobber for the ship.

Actually, I did and learned what a bogan is on Wikipedia. Thank you. I learned a new word today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogan

In the United States, an equivalent term might be "redneck." Used both pejoratively and in self-depreciation. Think Jeff Foxworthy, the comedian.

$4!7 no a Bogan is a lot different to a Redneck.

$4!7 no a Bogan is a lot different to a Redneck.

Sure are different. I'm definitely a Queensland Bogan but I'm nothing like Redneck. I masquerade as a well educated business owner when I live in Houston ;). Nope, not a Redneck.

Bloody amazing what some people think about Aussies.

Stubbies and thongs are normal for me when I'm not at work, but then it's suit and tie you wouldn't pick me from any Yank or Pom in the same line of work

Sure are different. I'm definitely a Queensland Bogan but I'm nothing like Redneck. I masquerade as a well educated business owner when I live in Houston ;). Nope, not a Redneck.

When I was a nipper there was no such thing as a Bogan, they were westies.

So are you n Texas or Mackay [AKA 2nd best spot on earth].

Bloody amazing what some people think about Aussies.

Stubbies and thongs are normal for me when I'm not at work, but then it's suit and tie you wouldn't pick me from any Yank or Pom in the same line of work

Now you should have said... 'bless their hearts' it's Bloody amazing what some people think about Aussies.;). You can say anything about someone as long as you say 'Bless their heart' first! :)

I'm in Texas today and heading out for Mackay tomorrow. Will be in the best spot on Earth on Thursday :)

I'm in Texas today and heading out for Mackay tomorrow. Will be in the best spot on Earth on Thursday :)

So if you'll be in the best spot on earth are you coming to Wangi, Mackay is only 2nd best [most of dad's mo0b are from Mackay].

In the United States, an equivalent term might be "redneck." Used both pejoratively and in self-depreciation. Think Jeff Foxworthy, the comedian.

If you have a job where you work without your shirt on... and so does your wife... you might be a redneck. :eek: :D :p

Edited by teecee60

If you have a job where you work without your shirt on... and so does your wife... you might be a redneck. :eek: :D :p

LOL, very amusing. I thought I may have been a borderline redneck but my wife is stopping me from being one.:p

Are you an Aucklander by extraction. If one is a "Westie" in Auckland it is a badge of honour irrespective of whether one is also a bogan.

Shorts, jandals ( thongs for feet for bad speakers and those with an accent) and a singlet for semi formal wear or smart casual was I thought always a given on both sides of the ditch. For formal wear a pair of sandals could be substituted and a T shirt for the singlet, or even if we went retro shoes and long sox.

Are you an Aucklander by extraction. If one is a "Westie" in Auckland it is a badge of honour irrespective of whether one is also a bogan.

Shorts, jandals ( thongs for feet for bad speakers and those with an accent) and a singlet for semi formal wear or smart casual was I thought always a given on both sides of the ditch. For formal wear a pair of sandals could be substituted and a T shirt for the singlet, or even if we went retro shoes and long sox.

What an insult, am I a K1W1. :eek:

Though my GG granddad was.

A westie always referred to someone from the Western Suburbs, ie not near the water so probably couldn't even swim or surf.

Getting a bit posh aren't we, with T shirts and sandals.

What an insult, am I a K1W1. :eek:

Though my GG granddad was.

A westie always referred to someone from the Western Suburbs, ie not near the water so probably couldn't even swim or surf.

Getting a bit posh aren't we, with T shirts and sandals.

We are talking about formal wear

From one jann and john to another...

I think you have been reading too much into this.

We are just like you....dress like you would on any other cruise...

if you don't want to wear formal, don't go to the formal restaurants..easy.

we are not Barbarians...I have seen worse types on your Caribbean cruises.

You may find you are offending a lot of Aussies with this thread.;):p

Well, no offense was intended, and I hope the full range of postings in this thread, and the various links to other material, indicate that by and large little was taken. To the extent that it has been, I apologize.

Call me naive, but I do think that customs vary in different places, including formality in dress. I recall a thread here on CC in which an Australian was quoted as saying that he considered his shorts to be formal enough for any occasion (OK, it was tongue-in-cheek, but still....) I know that in Silicon Valley and other high-tech places the dress code for business was/is strictly informal, to the point that if someone were to wear a suit for a job interview he will have reduced his chances of being hired. The opposite is true on Wall Street. The point of mentioning this is only to indicate that different standards do occur in different places. I have lived in Europe (where dress is very formal and coincidentally where for some of my time I had an Australian boss) and worked in places in Asia where dress is highly informal and jackets are seen only on the rarest and loftiest occasions. These differences are real, and occur at all strata.

Since I'd like to reduce the extra stuff I need to pack to a minimum, I was genuinely interested to know whether the dinner dress on this particular cruise would be less formal than it might be in other regions. Why not? I see absolutely nothing wrong with that nor with keeping dress informal generally -- I personally much prefer it. And I certainly don't think better or worse of any group of people simply because of their preferences regarding formality in how they dress. I don't view anyone as being "better" because he puts on a jacket and tie. And I don't view anyone or any group as "barbarians" if they choose to wear polo shirts to a fancy dinner. In fact, I recently attended a special $200+ per person dinner at a very high end restaurant, where the diners even included two chefs who had come in from other important restaurants hundreds of miles away. There was not a jacket or tie in the room.

Perhaps it is more a sixties-something vs. thirty-something thing. I'm past even the sixties, but often find myself in agreement with the attitudes of the thirties group. For me, skip the jackets and the tuxes. In another ten years nobody will be wearing them, and the content this conversation will seem extremely quaint.

Oh, and "bless their hearts" was one of my Dad's favorite phrases, and he certainly didn't use it as a preface to saying something pejorative about anyone.

End of seriousness. Back to letting the good times roll!

Edited by jan-n-john

G'day Jan-n-john

You will find that most Aussies are pretty laid back and not easy to offend.

The serious answer though is that you'll find a similar dress standard to in the US when on a cruise, though I don't think there are as many Tuxes.

As you intimate a lot will depend on the age range of the passengers.