De Facto Dress Code on Cruises Starting in Australia

jan-n-john

Call me naive, but I do think that customs vary in different places, including formality in dress.

l!

yes, but the codes of dress on our cruises leaving Oz are exactly like yours in the US, or on European cruises, so why would you think we dress differently?

We have done most of our cruises from the US, and I would never think to ask if the Americans dressed differently to us.

we are exactly alike.

the same thing goes for tipping..if its expected of us in any place... we tip....because its the right thing to do.

Edited by jannandjohn

Didn't Mick Dundee carry his "formal" eating irons around with him. From what I have read on these forums an element of dressing down is creeping onto cruise ships, some more than others. Whilst it is fair the dress sense for ladies doesn't appear to be an issue as a pants suit now seems to be an acceptable method of dress with "Ladies Bling " attached. The issue is more about the level us blokes go to. Some maintain the old tradition of tuxes, followed by suit and tie , followed by jacket and tie, followed by jacket without tie. Some are now expecting to attend formal nights in a polo shirt. Apparently some Maitre D's allow it, some don't so I guess if one stretches the parameters then one risks getting the big heave ho off to the buffet. Personally I am of the jacket and no tie brigade but if necessary will have a tie in my pocket to ensure she who has dressed to the nines can enjoy her dinner. If I can get by without a tie so much the better but I am long passed worrying about what the other people at my table are wearing. Life is too short to worry about such trvial issues.

Shorts, jandals and singlet even if pulled up over my keg is stretching things just a little on these "special occasions" even for the most liberal antipodean amongst us.

Edited by Beanb41

G'day Beanb41

Shorts, jandals and singlet even if pulled up over my keg is stretching things just a little on these "special occasions" even for the most liberal antipodean amongst us.

You sure am fancy ain't ya.

While I agree that we are pretty similar,

.....maybe their only exposure to Aus is Croc Dundee

Now that is a scary thought:p:D...

It would be like us thinking everyone in the US was like Paul Bunyan.

Edited by jannandjohn

Isn't Paul Canadian?:rolleyes:

From wikipedia...

Paul Bunyan is a giant lumberjack in American folklore.

His exploits revolve around the tall tales of his superhuman labors, and he is customarily accompanied by Babe the Blue Ox. The character originated in the oral tradition of North American loggers and was later popularized by freelance writer William B. Laughead (1882–1958) in a 1916 promotional pamphlet for the Red River Lumber Company. He has been the subject of various literary compositions, musical pieces, commercial works, and theatrical productions. His likeness is displayed in several oversized statues across North America.

Isn't Paul Canadian?:rolleyes:
Thanks for that, I was aware of the folklore but for some reason thought he was Canadian. I have learnt something new again.:D

Maybe you are thinking of Johnny Appleseed..;)

But he was a yankee doodle dandy too.( a real person..John Chapman, a nurseryman)

Edited by jannandjohn

Thanks for that, I was aware of the folklore but for some reason thought he was Canadian. I have learnt something new again.:D

Maybe you are thinking of Johnny Appleseed..;)

But he was a yankee doodle dandy too.( a real person..John Chapman, a nurseryman)

Just did a google search and found this as the first link when I typed 'Paul Bunyan'. http://paulbunyanscenicbyway.org/The_Real_Story_of_Paul_Bunyan

A bit of a mystery as to where it really started then.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Wow! A thread that has been educational and funny...:)

I've got sore ribs from laughing at some of those responses.

We've got:

the serious dress code comments,

the trans-Tasman rivalry, (Oz Vs Kiwi)

the upmarket posh Kiwis with their sandals & t-shirt verses

the Aussie thongs & un-ironed stubbies,

the westies,

the Bogons,

the rednecks, and

yanky doodle dandy!

Have I missed anyone?

Thank you jan-n-john for your initial question. I hope you have been able to make sense of all this throughout the thread and that you get to enjoy your trip down-under.

Thank you jan-n-john for your initial question. I hope you have been able to make sense of all this throughout the thread and that you get to enjoy your trip down-under.

I hope they don't go down under on the ship.

Have I missed anyone?

Yep. Public ugg boot wearers.

We've got:

the serious dress code comments,

the trans-Tasman rivalry, (Oz Vs Kiwi)

the upmarket posh Kiwis with their sandals & t-shirt verses

the Aussie thongs & un-ironed stubbies,

the westies,

the Bogons,

the rednecks, and

yanky doodle dandy!

Have I missed anyone?

Yep you missed the Canadians thanks to Paul Bunyon.

Even more embarrassing than what we wear to dinner on a cruise, is how we speak " strine" to the other diners..:rolleyes:

http://www.avago.com

And of course they will need the dictionary to translate..

Especially after a typical Aussie is usually " full as a goog" on grog after he has bin to the boozer..

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

Edited by jannandjohn

Even more embarrassing than what we wear to dinner on a cruise, is how we speak " strine" to the other diners..:rolleyes:

Especially after a typical Aussie is usually " full as a goog" on grog after he has bin to the boozer..

The way we speak! Wait till they encounter a few Kiwi's. Contrary to popular opinion NZ'ers do know how to pronounce each individual vowel perfectly. (they just don't pronounce them in the correct spot)

Edited by woodyren

The way we speak! Wait till they encounter a few Kiwi's. Contrary to popular opinion NZ'ers do know how to pronounce each individual vowel perfectly. (they just don't pronounce them in the correct spot)

Hadn't even considered their Kiwi encounters....lol

Why would anyone need everyday words like these explained to them?

LOL, perhaps we can put some Collingwood supporters into the mix as well.:eek:

Like this - seen in the Blue Mosque last week :eek: :

At least us Kiwis don't speak with foreign accents.

What's funny about jandals and singlets anyway.

Unlike Australians we can count to eight without heading below the belt

Yes, love my fush and chups

818.jpg.00676a327c8e0181582301748145c2d1.jpg

Edited by Pushka

At least us Kiwis don't speak with foreign accents.

What's funny about jandals and singlets anyway.

Unlike Australians we can count to eight without heading below the belt

I've only heard 'em get to 5 then they sidetracked to sex.

Not that I can blame them for letting that distract 'em.